• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

Denton

Fantastic art of The Rats, gang that Ciri joined when lost in Nilfgaaard:

rats___the_witcher_by_justanor-d8hq87a.jpg

Here they are all in color including Ciri/Falka
http://justanor.deviantart.com/gallery/

Denton

Just read through the part of Lady of the Lake where (HUGE SPOILERS OF LAST BOOK, SERIOUSLY DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DID NOT READ)
Milwa gets killed by an arrow, Cahir gets cut down by Bonhart's sword, Angouleme dying in Ciri's embrace and Regis ends up in molten lava. And then Geralt and Yen are both ready to go too.
The feels, fucking Sapkowski.
Fuck I can't wait to play Witcher 3 so hard. I want to meet Emhyr in the flesh. And if the guy in the iron mask really is
Regis
as speculated, I will throw a joy fit.

-Deimos

Just read through the part of Lady of the Lake where (HUGE SPOILERS OF LAST BOOK, SERIOUSLY DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DID NOT READ)
Milwa gets killed by an arrow, Cahir gets cut down by Bonhart's sword, Angouleme dying in Ciri's embrace and Regis ends up in molten lava. And then Geralt and Yen are both ready to go too.
Fuck I can't wait to play Witcher 3 so hard. I want to meet Emhyr in the flesh. And if the guy in the iron mask really is
Regis
Fuck that part.

Regis

Sapkowski at the end was like, fuck everything.
Not a fan of the ending.
Really hope
Regis
is the masked guy.

There's something I've been saying in several other TW3 threads and I'd like to bring it up here as well:
CDPR have been kinda coy in addressing the way choices made in TW2 will impact the story in TW3. I'm beginning to worry that they are going to pull a Mass Effect on us.
Some of the biggest choices in TW2 were made right at the end of the game so if they don't play a role in TW3 they become completely pointless. The thing is that we're talking about some big characters here.

First of all there's Saskia. Surely having a friggin' dragon around will necessarily be a big factor in the way things unfold. Unless she never recovered fully from her wound.
Then there's the fact that we decide if a friggin' king gets to live or not. That is a huge deal and will inevitably interfere with how the power struggle between Nilfgaard and the North unfolds.
Then there's also a Letho, a very powerful witcher who if still alive might be friend or foe depending on the circumstances. Personally I expecty him to make his appearence in a few sidequests if he's alive in our save file.

What do you guys think?

phaze

Sapkowski at the end was like, fuck everything.
Not a fan of the ending.
Really hope
Regis
is the masked guy.

I disliked the ultimate denouement of
Geral&Yen
story but liked pretty much everything else. Especially loved the various endings of the lesser recurring characters
Dijkistra, Boreas Munn, Faolitarna, Emhyr or even Radovid or Philippa with that delicious flash forward.

There's something I've been saying in several other TW3 threads and I'd like to bring it up here as well:
CDPR have been kinda coy in addressing the way choices made in TW2 will impact the story in TW3. I'm beginning to worry that they are going to pull a Mass Effect on us.
Some of the biggest choices in TW2 were made right at the end of the game so if they don't play a role in TW3 they become completely pointless. The thing is that we're talking about some big characters here.

First of all there's Saskia. Surely having a friggin' dragon around will necessarily be a big factor in the way things unfold. Unless she never recovered fully from her wound.
Then there's the fact that we decide if a friggin' king gets to live or not. That is a huge deal and will inevitably interfere with how the power struggle between Nilfgaard and the North unfolds.
Then there's also a Letho, a very powerful witcher who if still alive might be friend or foe depending on the circumstances. Personally I expecty him to make his appearence in a few sidequests if he's alive in our save file.

What do you guys think?

I'd argue that Mass Effect is already much superior in carrying on your choices throughout the separate games. I'll be glad to eat a crow but they're going to sweep everything aside with the Nilfgaard invaded Temeria excuse. Just like they erased Shani from existence. I think even some minor characters from ME got a more satisfying return scenes than for example Siegfried in W2. (Did Yaevinn even make an appearance ?)

Denton

I don't really care that much if they take our decisions and incorporate them. I know what an insane clusterfuck that would be to do in open world extensively, transferring every decision etc and we would probably get the game in 2020 or so. Of course I want to meet Saskia and Iorveth and so on, but I would not be bothered if they just picked one canon way from TW2 and followed from that.

I disliked the ultimate denouement of
Geral&Yen
story but liked pretty much everything else. Especially loved the various endings of the lesser recurring characters
Dijkistra, Boreas Munn, Faolitarna, Emhyr or even Radovid or Philippa with that delicious flash forward.

I'd argue that Mass Effect is already much superior in carrying on your choices throughout the separate games. I'll be glad to eat a crow but they're going to sweep everything aside with the Nilfgaard invaded Temeria excuse. Just like they erased Shani from existence. I think even some minor characters from ME got a more satisfying return scenes than for example Siegfried in W2. (Did Yaevinn even make an appearance ?)

Yeah, the book itslef is great. What you say, not so much. Thats why for me, the games are canon, even though they are not.

I didn't mind when going from the first to the second game because apart from
the king assassination plot, which was introduced in the ending sequence, the plots of the 2 games are unrelated and the decisions that are made wouldn't really influence the second game's plot.
Now it's different though, there are things that can't be ignored, not just on a micro level, but also in regards to the overaching plot.
I spent several minutes deciding if I should blow up the council or not at the end of ME1 and felt pretty damn stupid when I realized that all it does in ME2 is change a single fucking line of dialogue. And the end of ME2? Will you destroy the base?! WILL YOU?! Yeah, noone actually gave a damn.
Also, when it comes to the characters you mentioned, you weren't given the option to kill them or let them live. But with Saskia and the others I mentioned you were, that's why I want those characters to return, because that's what gives weight to those scenes, otherwise, what's the point?

TW2 raised the bar in terms of how much a choice can change what happens during a game, I'd like to see that ambition carried over to choices with consequences that spawn multiple games.

I don't really care that much if they take our decisions and incorporate them. I know what an insane clusterfuck that would be to do in open world extensively, transferring every decision etc and we would probably get the game in 2020 or so. Of course I want to meet Saskia and Iorveth and so on, but I would not be bothered if they just picked one canon way from TW2 and followed from that.

I'm not saying that every little thing should be considered but stuff like the ones I mentioned definitely should. It does bother me. What was the point of putting those choices there in the first place then?

I think the Saskia, Roche, Iorveths choices are going to appear in bigger or smaller detail in the game, but they alredy said characters like Shani wouldn't appear, but they also said that they are high candidates for future DLC, and that doesnt surprise me if Oxenfurt has a higher a chance to have a bigger role on any future DLCs, and thats the perfect place to find Shani.

erawsd

I'm not saying that every little thing should be considered but stuff like the ones I mentioned definitely should. It does bother me. What was the point of putting those choices there in the first place then?

I don't expect TW2 choices to have any meaningful impact on TW3. If there was any significant effect then I think they would be boasting about it. For any character that could have died in the previous game I would be surprised if they had much more than a cameo and some special dialogue. For returning characters, you probably get a few bits of special dialogue but it wont alter their role in the storyline.

The point of all those choices was to make The Witcher 2 a better game by giving the player some influence in how the story resolves.

Lettuce

Ok so i have just now finished playing through The Witcher Enhanced Edition for the first time, and enjoyed it on the whole i guess or though it hasn't aged extremely well. I was a bit lost at times in the story but just to summaries from what i understand....

The Grand Master hires Javed and the Professor along with Salamandra to attack the Witchers hideout and steal their mutagens so they can build an army of super soldiers to command and rule over humans in the forth coming ice age that the Grand Master has foreseen. Geralts is given a mission to track down Javed, Professor and Slamandra to find out what they want the stolen mutagen for, bring it back and eliminate Salamandra in the process.

The game has a habit of not completely explaining the mechanics to you and as a result i hardly made any potions, came across numerous unknown herbs, didnt know how to obtain or use mutagens to unlock some skills in my skill tree and never really used more than 2 magic spells/signs (Aard & Agni) let alone levelling up any of the other spells past level 1 and speaking of levelling up, i think i only got 2 gold tokens and that was in the last hour of gameplay so not sure how one is supposed to max out all your stats....or maybe you cant!?

Also there appears to be a lot of stuff left unexplained and characters that just seem to be ignored for the rest of the game, take all the witches at the start i never see them again. Was it ever explained why Geralt was presumed dead and missing for ages?, a lot was made of this at the start of the game and then was bought up at a few other occasions in branching conversation with certain characters but that just seemed to be forgotten about around half way through the game!. And just who was the assassin who tired to kill the King at the end of the game were we supposed to recognise who that was?. I was under the impression after the credits had rolled i would be allowed to finish of the remanded of my quests to get more answers about Geralts disappearance and unlock some more skills but this doesn't happen which is a bit of a disappointment.

Whats peoples views on the 2nd game is it much improved over the first game?, as if not im not sure i could endure another 30 hours or so of similar mechanics?, im guess this was a excellent game in 2007 just that time hasn't been very favourable to it but im glad i played it

Hey how does Witcher 2 on PC play with a 360 controller?

Menus and everything perfectly fine with a controller?

The game isn't very well optimized for the controller, unfortunately. Menus in particular require some getting used to. There's also a weird glitch where when you go through a door the camera tends to spin around Geralt for a second.
During normal gameplay it's mostly fine but it's not the ideal option for this game.

Ok so i have just now finished playing through The Witcher Enhanced Edition for the first time, and enjoyed it on the whole i guess or though it hasn't aged extremely well. I was a bit lost at times in the story but just to summaries from what i understand....

The Grand Master hires Javed and the Professor along with Salamandra to attack the Witchers hideout and steal their mutagens so they can build an army of super soldiers to command and rule over humans in the forth coming ice age that the Grand Master has foreseen. Geralts is given a mission to track down Javed, Professor and Slamandra to find out what they want the stolen mutagen for, bring it back and eliminate Salamandra in the process.

The game has a habit of not completely explaining the mechanics to you and as a result i hardly made any potions, came across numerous unknown herbs, didnt know how to obtain or use mutagens to unlock some skills in my skill tree and never really used more than 2 magic spells/signs (Aard & Agni) let alone levelling up any of the other spells past level 1 and speaking of levelling up, i think i only got 2 gold tokens and that was in the last hour of gameplay so not sure how one is supposed to max out all your stats....or maybe you cant!?

Also there appears to be a lot of stuff left unexplained and characters that just seem to be ignored for the rest of the game, take all the witches at the start i never see them again. Was it ever explained why Geralt was presumed dead and missing for ages?, a lot was made of this at the start of the game and then was bought up at a few other occasions in branching conversation with certain characters but that just seemed to be forgotten about around half way through the game!. And just who was the assassin who tired to kill the King at the end of the game were we supposed to recognise who that was?. I was under the impression after the credits had rolled i would be allowed to finish of the remanded of my quests to get more answers about Geralts disappearance and unlock some more skills but this doesn't happen which is a bit of a disappointment.

Whats peoples views on the 2nd game is it much improved over the first game?, as if not im not sure i could endure another 30 hours or so of similar mechanics?, im guess this was a excellent game in 2007 just that time hasn't been very favourable to it but im glad i played it

The second game is completely different when it comes to combat. It plays like you'd expect a game like this to play. Closest thing that comes to mind is a faster paced Dark Souls. Gameplay isn't as good as DS, mind you, just trying to give you an idea, but yeah, they completely dropped the system they used in the first game.
TW2 is 4 years old but visually it has aged very well, graphics and animation are still great, I know that the dated animation of the first game can be jarring but don't worry, this is one of the biggest jumps in tech you've ever seen between a sequel and its predecessor.
As for the ending, that's the start of the plot of the second game, you weren't supposed to understand what happened, it's just the trigger for TW2's plot .
To identify the herbs you need to read herbology books.
For the second game I recommend using the quen sign a lot, it's a shield.
You can get through both games by just slashing your way through which is a bit of a shame, there are semi-official combat mods that fix that though. For example, specters become impossible to kill without applying specter oil to your blade.

Figured this would be a good place to ask for help. I've started to play The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and I'm getting what appears to be screen tearing. I think it is limited to cutscenes and conversations, at least that is when I notice it. I've tried running D3DOverrider but it still occurs.

GPU: GTX 970
All settings maxed.

Figured this would be a good place to ask for help. I've started to play The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and I'm getting what appears to be screen tearing. I think it is limited to cutscenes and conversations, at least that is when I notice it. I've tried running D3DOverrider but it still occurs.

GPU: GTX 970
All settings maxed.

Sorry for the late answer. Yeah, this game is a bit of a mess on the technical side. I don't think there's a solution that works on every system.
Have you tried forcing vsync through Nvidia's control panel?
I don't remember how I got rid of it to be honest but I have an AMD gpu so it probably doesn't matter in your case.

Sorry for the late answer. Yeah, this game is a bit of a mess on the technical side. I don't think there's a solution that works on every system.
Have you tried forcing vsync through Nvidia's control panel?
I don't remember how I got rid of it to be honest but I have an AMD gpu so it probably doesn't matter in your case.
That doesn't work either.

Got to chapter 2 and I'm not liking it that much. Also it crashed and I lost an hour of progress.

That doesn't work either.

Got to chapter 2 and I'm not liking it that much. Also it crashed and I lost an hour of progress.

Yeah, you should save often, that can happen.

Googling Witcher screen tearing fix brings up this. Have you tried it?

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it. Is it the combat? It's definitely an aquired taste. Maybe watch the story on YT and skip to the second.

Well, the game was released 4 years ago so it's an average of 1 playthrough per year :)
I don't usually replay games that often but TW2 is one of my favorite games ever and has a ton of replay value.

It's janky and the story is disjointed, like there are scenes missing. I don't mind the combat that much, actually.

It's definitely janky but I don't feel the story is disjointed. The game has a fantastic atmosphere and a lot of depth in terms of its lore and the amount of stuff there is to do and explore, I find it incredibly immersive. Music and sound design are top notch as well.
If the combat doesn't bother you I think you should stick with it. Chapter 4 is my personal favorite.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm doing that. Fourth playthrough. 1 playthrough for each path before the EE and 1 one for each path after the EE. Still haven't seen the new chapter 3 sidequest on Iorveth's path which I'm doing right now.
I'm on my second play through doing the Vernon Roche side. Sucks to find out about the attic situation. I'm planning on playing through again after this play through.

Denton

So after finishing the whole 8 book saga and watching recaps of TW1,I am playing again Witcher 2. My third playthrough, first of enhanced edition. The game is so goooood.
My only issue is that Dying Light taught me not to care about saving my progress.. So thanks to that and my hard difficulty, I already managed to lose some half an hour of progress, twice..
But hey, lesson learned, I am saving periodically now.

Going to go with Iorveth, I loved Vergen and its inhabitants.
Now I am about to go kill the kayran.

codhand

omg going to fight the kayran and it highlights where to put the trap! thanks, awesome!
annnnd it's a different button press than you've had to press for the entire fucking game!
annnnd im dead.

Dsyndrome

Trying to power through Witcher 2 prior to May, right now I'm trying to uncurse Henselt and his merry men. Been playing this off and on for two years now and need to get serious.

Looking at schematics, I've got the Kayran Armor one but no skin, can't remember if I just never picked it up or what happened. Is there any place to buy or find the skin now that the mofo's dead and I'm in Chapter 2?

So after finishing the whole 8 book saga and watching recaps of TW1,I am playing again Witcher 2. My third playthrough, first of enhanced edition. The game is so goooood.
My only issue is that Dying Light taught me not to care about saving my progress.. So thanks to that and my hard difficulty, I already managed to lose some half an hour of progress, twice..
But hey, lesson learned, I am saving periodically now.

Going to go with Iorveth, I loved Vergen and its inhabitants.
Now I am about to go kill the kayran.

Roche is awesome but Iorveth's path is better imo. The new EE sidequest on Roche's path was pretty good, looking forward to reaching chapter 3 on Iorveth's path to see the new sidequest on his side.
This playthrough is also great for me in the sense that I just upgraded my PC for TW3 and unlike with my previous gpu, now the game holds 60fps at all times efortlessly which is nice.

Trying to power through Witcher 2 prior to May, right now I'm trying to uncurse Henselt and his merry men. Been playing this off and on for two years now and need to get serious.

Looking at schematics, I've got the Kayran Armor one but no skin, can't remember if I just never picked it up or what happened. Is there any place to buy or find the skin now that the mofo's dead and I'm in Chapter 2?

I don't think you get another chance.

LeleSocho

Banned
Hey guys today i started playing TW2 today without playing the first and i have to say that i'm somewhat disappointed for two reasons... one is the texture loading which is awfully bad even at lowest settings but this might be the fault of my, at the times high end, 7y/o pc and the other is the controls which consist in input lag and the overly sensitive camera controls.

I want to know if this is only my problem or are known and there are a fix for that.

Hey guys today i started playing TW2 today without playing the first and i have to say that i'm somewhat disappointed for two reasons... one is the texture loading which is awfully bad even at lowest settings but this might be the fault of my, at the times high end, 7y/o pc and the other is the controls which consist in input lag and the overly sensitive camera controls.

I want to know if this is only my problem or are known and there are a fix for that.

Well, when TW2 was released (4 years ago) it was an extremely demanding game, if your PC is 7 years old you might be getting low frame-rates which might be the reason for the input lag you're feeling. As for texture loading, it can be noticeable sometimes like when entering the tavern in Flotsam.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Sadly no the Kayran is only in chapter one.

Seems the issue I'm having with The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is due to my display resolution (1360 x 768) not being exactly 16:9.

It's not a big deal to miss out on it. I played through the game multiple times and only built that armor once.

Still in chapter 2. I don't know what the fuck is going on in the main plot. Geralt's drawing conclusions in the investigation that I have no idea how he got to. I'm just clicking on dialogue choices and going along with it. It's not like I can look in the journal to make heads or tails of this shit. I've put 22 hours into the game at this point, maybe it's time to pull the plug.

I've done the quests kind of out of order which hasn't helped.

phaze

Still in chapter 2. I don't know what the fuck is going on in the main plot. Geralt's drawing conclusions in the investigation that I have no idea how he got to. I'm just clicking on dialogue choices and going along with it. It's not like I can look in the journal to make heads or tails of this shit. I've put 22 hours into the game at this point, maybe it's time to pull the plug.

I've done the quests kind of out of order which hasn't helped.

Tbh the investigation quest is one of my favourite quests in the game but yes it can get weird and incoherent. I think the chapter 2 is a bit divisive among the fans. It is the longest of them all, features the dreaded swamps or that Sephirah fetch quest. Next chapters are more focused and succinct but if you really dislike the game now, I don't think it will get notably better for you. Especially if none of the plot elements managed to hook you yet.

It's not like I can look in the journal to make heads or tails of this shit.
Don't really remember journal being bad. What's wrong with it ? It's not exactly going to give you the answer on the silver plate.

Denton

Damn, TW2 still crashes when trying to load the game when there are too many savegames. Starting crashing at around 300 saves.
Moved them elsewhere, crashing stopped. A bit annoying that they did not fix this in EE, even if the solution is quick and simple.

Anyway, it is hilarious how easy the game is now compared to my first playthrough 4 years ago. I am playing on hard, while that playthrough was on normal, and where both Kayran and Letho took me like 10 tries each, now I did both on first try. Of course, I drank some nice potions beforehand and used all my tools now - traps, bombs, signs, oils :)
I think all the complaints about combat from people could be avoided if said people used the tools Geralt has at his disposal.

Denton

i was wondering why i was crashing a lot last night. i thought there was something wrong with my computer. lol

It is only crashing when clicked on "load" though, and always without any error message, just straight to windows. The game is perfectly stable apart from this, it never crashed during gameplay for me, now or at launch.

Top Bottom