• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Minamu said:
I'm stuck on the Beast boss fight :(
I have a couple of swallows but that's pretty much it and he puts some sort of spell on me so I can't move, while his companions gank me to death... I'm lvl 9 I believe. Abigail seem to die within seconds o_O

You definately want some spectre oil to grease your sword.

Lasthope106 said:
Chapter 2 had an enormous amount of what I call "fetch" quests: talk to one NPC who tells you to talk to another and so on. I'm really hoping CD Projekt can improve this aspect for the sequel. However, the game is still awesome even with this minor flaw.

There's also a metric shit ton of quests in Chapter II. I'm OCD when it comes to RPGS so I have to do everything. There is a lot of content in Chapter II.

Helmholtz

Minamu said:
I'm stuck on the Beast boss fight :(
I have a couple of swallows but that's pretty much it and he puts some sort of spell on me so I can't move, while his companions gank me to death... I'm lvl 9 I believe. Abigail seem to die within seconds o_O
This is the first boss right? Chapter One? Interesting, I didn't have any trouble at all with it. I did finish every side quest I found though.
A couple of things I did: I used that formula for specter oil that Abigail gave me on my sword. Supposedly it helps you kill enemies like the boss and his minions. I also used my sign a lot, the first sign you get, I believe it's called Aard. Not sure how effective it is on the boss but it should allow you to dispense of the minions pretty easily.

Minamu

Beat him after 6 tries I think. I haven't been doing any potions at all since the first tutorial :S Been collecting ingredients like a crazy person though :lol I have around 80 Barghest skulls now :S Had to kill the boss with fire magic and stayed away from harm by running in wide circles until the meter filled up again :lol But now I'm in Vizima (that cockatrice was laughable after that buildup).

Minamu said:
Beat him after 6 tries I think.
Now that you finished that I can tell you a story about a bug I hit after that fight.
Finally took out the Beast without Abigail getting dropped, and when the towns people showed up there was a bug. They attacked her during the dialog while I couldn't do anything about it. This happened twice :p

teiresias

Jay Shadow said:
Now that you finished that I can tell you a story about a bug I hit after that fight.
Finally took out the Beast without Abigail getting dropped, and when the towns people showed up there was a bug. They attacked her during the dialog while I couldn't do anything about it. This happened twice :p

Why does it even matter if Abigail gets "dropped" during the fight, she's not dead, she just falls down and gets back up at the end once the fight is over, just like most NPCs that are with you during battle and boss fights - except for one notable one near the end.

Minamu

Jay Shadow said:
Yeah pretty sure she was attacked in my cutscenes too. But she could take it :) Unfortunately I missed out on the Vesna Hood sex scene and the kill 3 ghouls quest. I finished the quest, just never traded them in for exp :(

Facism

Downloading the enhanced edition and other gubbins. Haven't played this for a long time, i might try to finish it this time :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Got The Witcher EE from Steam sale.

Usually it takes me 2 or 3 times of loading it before I am able to see my mouse cursor. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you fix it. Quite annoying.

Otherwise the game has been great. I'm still in chapter 2 and I don't really mind the long treks from one place to the next. I do hope the pace starts to pick up a little bit later.

edit: nvm. may have found the fix. if anyone else is having problems try this on Steam forums.

Cronox

Banned
For anyone having trouble with boss fights, power up your Aard. I killed the beast by hitting it a couple times, stunning it with Aard, and doing a finisher. I've killed about half the "boss" creatures/people this way. It's almost laughable.

To everyone playing through I'd just like to say that my balls itch and your mother sucks dwarf cock. Shit in my boots, also.

Cronox said:
For anyone having trouble with boss fights, power up your Aard. I killed the beast by hitting it a couple times, stunning it with Aard, and doing a finisher. I've killed about half the "boss" creatures/people this way. It's almost laughable.

To everyone playing through I'd just like to say that my balls itch and your mother sucks dwarf cock. Shit in my boots, also.

:lol

Minamu

Who should I sell my Barghest skulls to for maximum profit? Found a dude who could buy them for 5 each but I think 10 is possible somewhere. Also, any point in gambling my way to 5k so I can buy that new armor in Vizima? Expensive as hell :S

Rufus

I did just that to get my first armour upgrade, I think. Play dice poker, I mean. I used gambling every time I needed to raise money. Just reload a quicksave if you lose. Cheap as hell, but it's likely a lot faster than trying to sell herbs and random loot.

bengraven

God I love this game.

Kenka said:
This game is one of the best I've played. Ever.

Yes, exactly.

My only problem is the controls: the action-rpg click to move just doesn't feel right, while the over the shoulder is almost annoying in how close it is: plus my performance drops for some reason.

I would have preferred a BG/DA:O style far zoomed out view with Dragon Age's movement.

Cronox

Banned
Yeef said:
A witcher! Hide your women!

Screw co-op existence!

On a side note, I found these on the Witcher forums, shooped during a discussion about a conversation Geralt can have with Triss about settling down. Don't know if they were posted before, so here ya go.

29az8nm.jpg

followed by

257jgp3.jpg

Minamu

Rufus said:
I did just that to get my first armour upgrade, I think. Play dice poker, I mean. I used gambling every time I needed to raise money. Just reload a quicksave if you lose. Cheap as hell, but it's likely a lot faster than trying to sell herbs and random loot.
Yeah, I've been doing it a tiny bit (I've had a maximum of 2500 so far I think), I jsut don't know if the effort needed is worth it for like 10 less damage? Also, quick loading ain't very quick at all, tbh :S

Rufus

Minamu said:
Yeah, I've been doing it a tiny bit (I've had a maximum of 2500 so far I think), I jsut don't know if the effort needed is worth it for like 10 less damage? Also, quick loading ain't very quick at all, tbh :S
True. My obsessive streak helped me see past the loading. :lol

Worth it? Always. You might want to make sure you don't already have access to better armour though.
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Armor

Minsc

Gold Member
bengraven said:
God I love this game.

Yes, exactly.

My only problem is the controls: the action-rpg click to move just doesn't feel right, while the over the shoulder is almost annoying in how close it is: plus my performance drops for some reason.

I would have preferred a BG/DA:O style far zoomed out view with Dragon Age's movement.

Don't click to move, wasd + mouselook with OTS.

Got up to chapter 2 last night, really enjoying this so far.

Oh man, some of the decisions you have to make! Makes me actually think about my interactions with characters and what I've noticed etc etc.

At the end of chapter 1 I chose to
save Abgail from the angry mob, and then I had to slaughter them all after the tough beast fight
:lol

Helmholtz

Minsc said:
Don't click to move, wasd + mouselook with OTS.
Ya, I've had no problems playing the game using this control scheme. Should be the default scheme imo. Not even sure why they offer point and click, it feels wrong.

_Bro

Banned
Loving this game but when I starting my mouse did a crazy glitch (fucking wireless) and I ended starting on easy. Already getting close to fighting the beast so I don't want to restart just for a better challenge.

I don't understand the combat and I don't know what the hell is up with Odo's dog.

Also,
everybody in this game hates me for everything I say. Can't catch a break. Bar bitch? YOU ASS. Try to save her from the mob, dogs kill her during a conversation she starts. CAN'T WIN, DAMNIT.

Blacksmith dwarf is cool. You trade with them? FUCK OFF.

_Bro said:
Loving this game but when I starting my mouse did a crazy glitch (fucking wireless) and I ended starting on easy. Already getting close to fighting the beast so I don't want to restart just for a better challenge.

I don't understand the combat and I don't know what the hell is up with Odo's dog.

Also,
everybody in this game hates me for everything I say. Can't catch a break. Bar bitch? YOU ASS. Try to save her from the mob, dogs kill her during a conversation she starts. CAN'T WIN, DAMNIT.

Blacksmith dwarf is cool. You trade with them? FUCK OFF.

People only hate you for a while then you can talk to them again.

Which part of the combat don't you understand?

Yeah can someone explain Odo's dog please, I think I got annoyed and just killed the dog :lol

Kenka

I kinda got addicted to the click based combat and it is a bit disappointing to know that we won't get it in the sequel.

I finished the game yesterday. The last hours were a delight !

_Bro

Banned
Alright, so I'm supposed to time my clicks to get combos going. But sometimes I can't even start attacks, I'll just be clicking away and he never makes any change in animation.

Also, nobody will be attacking and numbers will be popping up. Can't always blast a sign off, even with full endurance.

Maybe it's just a little unpolished or maybe I'm not understanding cool-down time. Is there even a cool-down for... anything?

Kenka said:
I kinda got addicted to the click based combat and it is a bit disappointing to know that we won't get it in the sequel.

I finished the game yesterday. The last hours were a delight !

I haven't really looked up much info on the sequel, how are they planning to do combat in the sequel?

_Bro said:
Alright, so I'm supposed to time my clicks to get combos going. But sometimes I can't even start attacks, I'll just be clicking away and he never makes any change in animation.

Also, nobody will be attacking and numbers will be popping up. Can't always blast a sign off, even with full endurance.

Maybe it's just a little unpolished or maybe I'm not understanding cool-down time. Is there even a cool-down for... anything?

If your trying to use heavy attacks on a agile opponent you'll probably miss a lot of the time and cant get a combo chance. Takes a little getting used to but I really like the combat in this game.

_Bro

Banned
I understand the style switches. I'm also getting used to the slow weapon switching.

Still, I just don't "get it."

Minsc

Gold Member
_Bro said:

You basically have to click once and only once, if you click again you interrupt your attack and need to start over. You do click again to start the 2nd hit of the chain, but only when your sword glows with fire or whatever. The enemy sometimes has a chance of blocking even if you are using the correct stance, so if your attack gets deflected once or twice don't worry. If your attack never goes through, then you're in the wrong stance (z,x,c - pick a different one till you can connect).

If enemies are taking forever to kill, you should give the strong stance (z) additional chances to connect, even if it misses a lot, it does like 4x the damage of the other stances, so when it does go through it will be worth it.

Generally though, you need to figure out which stance to use for which enemy and once you do you always hit.

I really only used igni and ardi or whatever (fire and stun), but neither has cool downs provided you have enough stamina. You have to be close for the fire spell or stun spell to work (like sword distance), until you get the perks to shoot the spells.

Rufus

_Bro said:
I understand the style switches. I'm also getting used to the slow weapon switching.

There's nothing to get besides that, I don't think... It's not insanely deep. The only thing that could trip you up is finding out what stance works best against monsters where it's not immediately obvious what would work best. Other than that, it's pretty uninvolved and shallow, I guess?

Also what Minsc said.

Is it worth putting points into magic? I don't use it very often and prefer the swordplay but wondering if it's needed lots later in the game?

Also do you ever find stronger weapons instead of
Witcher's Sword and Witchers Silver Sword?

DualShadow said:
Is it worth putting points into magic? I don't use it very often and prefer the swordplay but wondering if it's needed lots later in the game?

Also do you ever find stronger weapons instead of
Witcher's Sword and Witchers Silver Sword?
There's one battle later in the game where just focusing on swords makes it very difficult because they don't do much damage to the creature. Overall though you should level up fire just because it's pretty much a win button. Just in case you run into issues and need a win button. The defensive spell came in really handy for one fight too. None of them are absolutely needed a lot though.

You can find or get in quests a few swords stronger than your originals, but they're usually variations of the same swords because those two are kinda a big deal to the character.

_Bro said:

Are you using the overhead view or the OTS view? The OTS view makes combat much, much easier. I had a hard time grasping the combat at first, but it clicks after a few hours or so.

Minamu

Am I missing a teleportation button or am I really supposed to run back and forth a million times between buildings and people? Currently near the end of Chapter 2 (I think). Played 14+ hours so far and running is the primary thing I'm doing.

_Bro

Banned
Minsc said:
You basically have to click once and only once, if you click again you interrupt your attack and need to start over. You do click again to start the 2nd hit of the chain, but only when your sword glows with fire or whatever. The enemy sometimes has a chance of blocking even if you are using the correct stance, so if your attack gets deflected once or twice don't worry. If your attack never goes through, then you're in the wrong stance (z,x,c - pick a different one till you can connect).

If enemies are taking forever to kill, you should give the strong stance (z) additional chances to connect, even if it misses a lot, it does like 4x the damage of the other stances, so when it does go through it will be worth it.

Generally though, you need to figure out which stance to use for which enemy and once you do you always hit.

I really only used igni and ardi or whatever (fire and stun), but neither has cool downs provided you have enough stamina. You have to be close for the fire spell or stun spell to work (like sword distance), until you get the perks to shoot the spells.
Alright, I guess an animation is just playing for some of my attacks. Game is pretty cool other than that.

And not knowing what to do with that damn dog.

Dizzy-4U

Quick question since I'm starting this soon. I have the enhanced director's cut edition from steam. Do the texture mods work with this version (the one that is 1.4gb or so)?

Also, any must have mod before I start?

Minsc

Gold Member
Dizzy-4U said:
Quick question since I'm starting this soon. I have the enhanced director's cut edition from steam. Do the texture mods work with this version (the one that is 1.4gb or so)?

Also, any must have mod before I start?

I'm pretty sure no mods are necessary, never heard of a texture mod, checked it out and it seemed ok, but I dunno, the textures didn't really bother me. Some people were posting problems with the mod at the end of the thread, but who knows, maybe it'd work fine. The EE is basically modded for you, if you can run it on max settings, I don't think you would need to worry about anything beyond that.

mileS said:
still can't play the game @ 1440x900 without the Cut-scene blurryness/pixelation bug.

Game must be run at 16:9, not 16:10. Use 1440x810 or whatever 16:9 resolution it works out to, probably 1280x720. I ran it at 1920x1080 on my 1920x1200 display, it has 1:1 pixel mapping of course, so it's was still sharp and perfect :)

Edit: Re; the dog... if you can't find info by plugging "site:witcher.wikia.com (quest name)" in to google, it's not something to worry about. That site should answer all your questions.

Oh shit, this game is so good I have just preordered the Witcher 2 130$ collectors edition.
This game is my favourite RPG with Mass Effect.

Cronox said:

Yeef said:
A witcher! Hide your women!

It rains and it pours.

Dizzy-4U

Minsc said:
I'm pretty sure no mods are necessary, never heard of a texture mod, checked it out and it seemed ok, but I dunno, the textures didn't really bother me. Some people were posting problems with the mod at the end of the thread, but who knows, maybe it'd work fine. The EE is basically modded for you, if you can run it on max settings, I don't think you would need to worry about anything beyond that.
You're probably right. I haven't even started the game and was already thinking about modding. I'm pretty sure I can max it out, so I'll try it vanilla first.

_Bro

Banned
Finally found out about that dumb fucking dog.
Chapter 1 spoilers:
Those plants grow over the corpses of the unjustly murdered. There were two, one for Odo's brother that we find out he killed, and his father whom he inherited the money from. Basically, Odo killed both and is a huge, fat, drunken ass.

I don't even want to know what else they had to say about stuff in The Witcher. Scariest forum, ever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Something I've always wondered...what the hell is the point of the '3rd weapon slot'?

I mean the Witcher sword and Silver sword can level-up, earn abilities, and seem practical in combat. Why the hell would I ever switch to an axe or dagger? What is the point of picking those up? Just to sell?

Top Bottom