• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Peff

You can either buy a book that teaches you about the plant (letting you collect them) or just buy the petals from a merchant outside the inn.

animlboogy said:
I have the Steam version. Do I still need that patch to uncensor?
You'll know when you pick up your first card. If it's censored then they have the patch available on Steam. I've heard that it's already updated though, but I couldn't tell you first hand.

I keep getting crashed. I lost over 40 minutes of game work because of the stupid crash bug that happens when I leave some indoor area. It usually happens around an hour's worth of play. Anyone know a fix to this?

PeteJ

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but is there somewhere that I can download save games? I managed to get quite a few hours into the game...chapter 3 or 4, can't quite remember, and then promptly lost my save. I'd love to finish this game in time for the sequel but really don't want to play through the whole thing again.

I want to play this so badly but my laptop barely runs it on the lowest setting even thought te internet told me it would : (

I need my WRPG fix and from what i hear Arcania sucks.

TheCrow

Glad I saw this thread because I need some help. I recently picked up the game through a steam sale. I've been enjoying it so far but I've found myself stuck in Chapter 4. I can't start the Free Elves quest because I can't finish The Paths of Destiny. The journal still reads "The Lady of the Lake promised me a gift. I need to be patient." even though I've already received the sword. I already reloaded to an earlier save and went through the quests in a different order but that didn't work either. I really want to finish the game so I'm caught up for Witcher 2, so I would appreciate any help.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Can someone explain to me how to do the Abigail gather herbs quest? I can't talk to the merchant in the inn to buy any and I've bought the field plants book but I still can't gather anything.

Pumpkins

mikespit1200 said:
Can someone explain to me how to do the Abigail gather herbs quest? I can't talk to the merchant in the inn to buy any and I've bought the field plants book but I still can't gather anything.

Did you meditate and distribute a talent into the herb identification skill? I think it's under the intelligence category.

Peff

mikespit1200 said:

Did you read the book? Just having it in the inventory does nothing. Also, the merchant is outside the inn, not the one inside as far as I remember. But reading the book should do the trick since the flowers are all nearby.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Peff said:
Did you read the book? Just having it in the inventory does nothing. Also, the merchant is outside the inn, not the one inside as far as I remember. But reading the book should do the trick since the flowers are all nearby.

Huh. I read the book and allocated points in herbalism, so now I can gather herbs but I haven't seen any of the white myrtle(?) things around, or the merchant outside the inn. Maybe I'm just playing the game wrong but I'm not really enjoying it much. I don't mind fetch quests as long as they are streamlined. Maybe WoW just ruined my tolerance for bad UI and non-obvious quest objectives. I also went to the cave on the outskirts of town for a rescue quest and nearly died since I didn't have any healing or cat potions (could barely see). It seems like a lot of the stuff you need to do, like make potions and allocate skill points, to play the game isn't explicit, which is fine, I just find a lot of the UI labyrinthine--It took me a while to realize that I had to click on the individual abilities like str, dex, int to reveal new skill trees or that I needed to talk to an innkeeper to meditate instead of just clicking on a nearby hearth. Any help for powering through the jank would be quite appreciated since I am genuinely enjoying the ambiance of the game and want to see what is has to offer, but damn if the game isn't making it easy.

Minsc

Gold Member
mikespit1200 said:
Huh. I read the book and allocated points in herbalism, so now I can gather herbs but I haven't seen any of the white myrtle(?) things around, or the merchant outside the inn. Maybe I'm just playing the game wrong but I'm not really enjoying it much. I don't mind fetch quests as long as they are streamlined. Maybe WoW just ruined my tolerance for bad UI and non-obvious quest objectives. I also went to the cave on the outskirts of town for a rescue quest and nearly died since I didn't have any healing or cat potions (could barely see). It seems like a lot of the stuff you need to do, like make potions and allocate skill points, to play the game isn't explicit, which is fine, I just find a lot of the UI labyrinthine--It took me a while to realize that I had to click on the individual abilities like str, dex, int to reveal new skill trees or that I needed to talk to an innkeeper to meditate instead of just clicking on a nearby hearth. Any help for powering through the jank would be quite appreciated since I am genuinely enjoying the ambiance of the game and want to see what is has to offer, but damn if the game isn't making it easy.

There's tons of books for different plants. Go to the inventory screen for your ingredients, where it lists the 100s of ingredients, and make sure White Myrtle is in the list. If it is, you just have to find it elsewhere I guess, not all the herbs are in the same area. If you have flint in your inventory, you can start fires and rest wherever's there's a campfire setup outdoors.

If you're stuck on a particular quest, just do a google search for:

"site:witcher.wikia.com (quest name)"

And you'll get an answer for the quest's solution. The site is really well organized.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Minsc said:
There's tons of books for different plants. Go to the inventory screen for your ingredients, where it lists the 100s of ingredients, and make sure White Myrtle is in the list. If it is, you just have to find it elsewhere I guess, not all the herbs are in the same area. If you have flint in your inventory, you can start fires and rest wherever's there's a campfire setup outdoors.

If you're stuck on a particular quest, just do a google search for:

"site:witcher.wikia.com (quest name)"

And you'll get an answer for the quest's solution. The site is really well organized.

Yup, I checked the ingredients list and it shows the white myrtle. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Peff

You're looking for this

1426353-witcher_2010_07_05_19_28_19_56_super.png

Oh wow I had no idea I could turn on Polish VO. Jeeez now I have to play through the whole game again just to hear it. Also I guess maybe I could actually learn Polish as well.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Lostconfused said:
Oh wow I had no idea I could turn on Polish VO. Jeeez now I have to play through the whole game again just to hear it. Also I guess maybe I could actually learn Polish as well.

Polish is hard... But at least then you could read all the Witcher fiction.

But seriously, the voice acting in English, in the Enhanced Edition is quite excellent in my view. But yes, a Polish playthrough wouldbe nice, to explore the other choices that can be made...

vcassano1 said:
Polish is hard... But at least then you could read all the Witcher fiction.
Hard in what way. Vocabulary or Grammar? Knowing Russian and having to listen to family members that speak Ukranian I think I understand at least half the words.

Too bad the spanish dub is HORRIBLE. And I love playing with spanish dubs in my games, but this one is too terrible.
Will probably put it on for my second walktrough though, just to laugh of the voices.

That and the english dub is awesome, Geralt's voice is perfect, and all those NPC's with british accents... you have to love them :lol
"Here comes the Witcher! Hide your women!" :lol

Well, back to the game :D

Only one I really don't like in English is Dandelion, who could be the least charismatic bard ever and isn't written that way.

I'm really enjoying the first book (English version), and have the second too. Hopefully they keep translating the others. I've been impressed that the choices and situations in the game match the feel of the books' scenarios really well.

I felt kind of bad killing the cow to
summon Dagon
. It just seemed so happy to follow me around after I gave it some dried fruit and nuts.

I don't think I've been this conflicted as many times with the choices presented to me by an rpg. I don't really identify with either the Scoia'tael or The Order, although each faction has members that I have liked. But then they put me in these extreme situations with their own choices and demand that I side with and help them. I don't mind the the Scoia'tael's goals or ideals, I just don't like how they go about achieving them, The Order tends to be on the side of the right, but essentially they're a bunch of bigots. Both sides are fairly bigoted actually, probably my fault for being too neutral, but since you're surrounded by humans more often than nonhumans, the humans kind of come off looking worse. Especially all of the wealthy douchebags in the merchant quarter of Vizima.

Based off of the mini-movie I saw in
Murky Waters
because of my choice to
stop the Scoia'tae robbing Vivaldi's bank in Vizima, I really, really regret helping The Order.
But then I don't know if I would be happy with the other potential result/consequence.
I ended up taking no one's side in the conflict that followed but had to fight both of sides. :/

jaundicejuice said:
I felt kind of bad killing the cow to
summon Dagon
. It just seemed so happy to follow me around after I gave it some dried fruit and nuts.

I don't think I've been this conflicted as many times with the choices presented to me by an rpg. I don't really identify with either the Scoia'tael or The Order, although each faction has members that I have liked. But then they put me in these extreme situations with their own choices and demand that I side with and help them. I don't mind the the Scoia'tael's goals or ideals, I just don't like how they go about achieving them, The Order tends to be on the side of the right, but essentially they're a bunch of bigots. Both sides are fairly bigoted actually, probably my fault for being too neutral, but since you're surrounded by humans more often than nonhumans, the humans kind of come off looking worse. Especially all of the wealthy douchebags in the merchant quarter of Vizima.
[/spoiler]

Yep!

Also, Im now with the order, although I dont like some of their ideals (like some of the people treating other races like shit) I like much better Sigfreid, he usually does things that makes you proud of him, like in the swers, opening you the door, the terrorists in the crypt... (although sometimes he does dumb things). Yaevinn in the other hand comes like a fucking idiot elf prick, with his shitty monologues. Yeah, the ideals of them are good (living in harmony with all races), but the things is, the majority of the scoia'tels does not want really that (they want to kill all the humans and live only them), and above all of that, they are terrorists and remind me too much of the problem with have with the ETA here.
The thing is, if you want to gain you liberty goals, dont become a bunch of filthy terrorists killing the inocent, with the majority of your group having other different and much worse ideals.

Helmholtz

About 6 hours into this and enjoying it quite a bit so far. The world is very engrossing and the game holds up surprisingly well.
One question though: is there any fast travel system in the game? I'm still at the first part, the outskirts of the city, and running back and forth from the Inn to other places gets slightly tiring.

Rufus

Helmholtz said:
About 6 hours into this and enjoying it quite a bit so far. The world is very engrossing and the game holds up surprisingly well.
One question though: is there any fast travel system in the game? I'm still at the first part, the outskirts of the city, and running back and forth from the Inn to other places gets slightly tiring.
No, but the distances never become unbearably long. The areas aren't that big and most of the time you know exactly where you're going as well, so there's no aimless wandering, safe for the first exploration of a new area.

Helmholtz

Rufus said:
No, but the distances never become unbearably long. The areas aren't that big and most of the time you know exactly where you're going as well, so there's no aimless wandering, safe for the first exploration of a new area.
Oh for sure. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some fast travel system I wasn't aware of.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Chapter 1 covers an annoyingly narrow, long distance that can make running back and forth through it a chore. The rest of the game isn't like that, so just stick with it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I wouldn't need a fast travel system, but I definitely wouldn't have minded a "click on the map -> Geralt starts running there" feature.

Whenever possible pull out the sword when going from place to place. Runs much faster. It won't work in the main city, but in later places like the swamp it'll save your sanity.

Yasae

Banned
EviLore said:
Chapter 1 covers an annoyingly narrow, long distance that can make running back and forth through it a chore. The rest of the game isn't like that, so just stick with it.
Partially true. You'll be doing tons of running around in Chapter 2, and it can get pretty tedious if you include the
swamp
runs. Get ready to see lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of loading screens.

Still fun though.

Ryn

I am really glad I picked this up in the steam sale.

Still chillin in chapter 2, doing a lot of running around in circles between city and
swamp
. I feel like I'm missing something alchemy wise...am I supposed to be making a bunch of potions and stuff? I haven't really done anything other than the tutorial one in the beginning.

I'm playing on normal mode if that helps any.

Ryn said:
I am really glad I picked this up in the steam sale.

Still chillin in chapter 2, doing a lot of running around in circles between city and
swamp
. I feel like I'm missing something alchemy wise...am I supposed to be making a bunch of potions and stuff? I haven't really done anything other than the tutorial one in the beginning.

I'm playing on normal mode if that helps any.
On normal you don't really need a ton of potions, although they do help a bit later in the game. You can get away with not focusing on alchemy much.

EviLore said:

I think is worse in chapter II.
I dont know who designed the swamp but fuck them.

For one, you have a very pretty big area that you can go anywhere you want, form one point to the other. For example, from the druids grove to the village, and thats really good. But then you have the top part, shitty design concept, were there are some invisible walls that surround the part of the tower and the scoia' tel camp, etc... where you only can pass thorugh some small corridors and there only 2 places to enter/exit that part, surrounded by invisible walls. Now add a millions shitty expereince giving drowners (you can pass them, but the still are shitty), and you have some boring journeys, were it could be much faster.
And yeah, I know that getting out your fast silver you can run faster.

670px-Map_Swamp.png

I hate this place.
Thank god that in chapter 3 theres some teletransporting
At the end of Chapter 3, yeah!

EviLore said:

Chapter 2 had an enormous amount of what I call "fetch" quests: talk to one NPC who tells you to talk to another and so on. I'm really hoping CD Projekt can improve this aspect for the sequel. However, the game is still awesome even with this minor flaw.

Helmholtz

EviLore said:
Ah okay. I'm definitely going to finish the whole game, it's quite good so far and from what I've heard it gets better and better. The only travelling annoyances I've had were quests that had me running from the Inn, to the opposite side of town, to the inn, to the opposite side, then back to the inn. It's only happened once or twice though so no big deal.

The upgrading system in this game gives you so many choices. I've only gotten a few upgrades but damn do they make you feel more powerful. I'm finally starting to understand dice poker now too. For some odd reason I didn't realize you can re-roll your dice :lol I felt like the biggest idiot.

Minamu

How should I spec my character? Any pitfalls? :S At the beginning of chapter 1 I had 9 bronze points and I used them all on strength and stamina or something. Nothing on weapons or magics.

Minamu said:
How should I spec my character? Any pitfalls? :S At the beginning of chapter 1 I had 9 bronze points and I used them all on strength and stamina or something. Nothing on weapons or magics.
You should get more bronze points than you really need or want through the course of the game. Silver and Gold are the rare ones that you probably want to give more thought to.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yep!

Also, Im now with the order, although I dont like some of their ideals (like some of the people treating other races like shit) I like much better Sigfreid, he usually does things that makes you proud of him, like in the swers, opening you the door, the terrorists in the crypt... (although sometimes he does dumb things). Yaevinn in the other hand comes like a fucking idiot elf prick, with his shitty monologues. Yeah, the ideals of them are good (living in harmony with all races), but the things is, the majority of the scoia'tels does not want really that (they want to kill all the humans and live only them), and above all of that, they are terrorists and remind me too much of the problem with have with the ETA here.
The thing is, if you want to gain you liberty goals, dont become a bunch of filthy terrorists killing the inocent, with the majority of your group having other different and much worse ideals.

Siegfried is the only likable member of The Order, the only real human face and while Yaevin is a royal prick, I kind of liked
Turoviel, whom you encounter on the outskirts of Murky Water
in Chapter 4.
Well I liked her until she and her unit did what they did near the end of Chapter 4. She was different from what I expected based off of her appearance in the final short story of The Last Wish

I guess I'm midway through Chapter 5 right now. In the end you can actually choose to
be neutral, it gets kind of dicey for a bit because you're fending off both The Order and The Scoia'tael
near the end of Chapter 4 and for the beginning of Chapter 5. It's kind of vindicating
that I was allowed to not side with either group after everything.

Think I'm nearing the end-game, I've got what I believe is the ultimate steel sword, silver and armor. I've had such an enjoyable time with this game that I pulled the trigger on pre-ordering The Witcher 2 Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam. It's gonna be a loonnggg wait until May.

Lasthope106 said:
Chapter 2 had an enormous amount of what I call "fetch" quests: talk to one NPC who tells you to talk to another and so on. I'm really hoping CD Projekt can improve this aspect for the sequel. However, the game is still awesome even with this minor flaw.
They've said that Witcher 2 is shorter specifically because of the lack of fetch quests.

RustyNails said:
Good grief I want to strangle
Shani's grandma
to death.

Just keep entering and leaving, some of the more abrasive/insulting remarks work. If she complains about not being able to feed her cat, give her 30 orens, she'll never bother you again. I gave her that sum and she left me alone from then on.

jaundicejuice said:
Just keep entering and leaving, some of the more abrasive/insulting remarks work. If she complains about not being able to feed her cat, give her 30 orens, she'll never bother you again. I gave her that sum and she left me alone from then on.
I gave her 10 orens and the old hag screams GET OUUUT! Almost gave me a heart attack. I think I spent over 10 minutes entering and leaving trying to find the right combination. Finally did, but
Shani
wasn't feeling freaky :( Maybe she will after I complete few more of her little side quests? We'll see. Oh well. I spent time distributing talents and meditating.

Minamu

Lostconfused said:
You should get more bronze points than you really need or want through the course of the game. Silver and Gold are the rare ones that you probably want to give more thought to.
Oh, thanks. No need to worry then :D

In Chapter 4 and Im really loving this place. So easy to navigate.

jaundicejuice said:
Siegfried is the only likable member of The Order, the only real human face and while Yaevin is a royal prick, I kind of liked
Turoviel, whom you encounter on the outskirts of Murky Water
in Chapter 4.
Well I liked her until she and her unit did what they did near the end of Chapter 4. She was different from what I expected based off of her appearance in the final short story of The Last Wish

I guess I'm midway through Chapter 5 right now. In the end you can actually choose to
be neutral, it gets kind of dicey for a bit because you're fending off both The Order and The Scoia'tael
near the end of Chapter 4 and for the beginning of Chapter 5. It's kind of vindicating
that I was allowed to not side with either group after everything.

Think I'm nearing the end-game, I've got what I believe is the ultimate steel sword, silver and armor. I've had such an enjoyable time with this game that I pulled the trigger on pre-ordering The Witcher 2 Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam. It's gonna be a loonnggg wait until May.

Yup, just got there :lol
I swear that yesterday, when I met
Turoviel
I said out loud:
"Look, LOOK! If the elfs were like this when you first met them I would have propbably gone with them" :lol
Also, it seems you can be neutral, but its kind of tricky.

MickeyKnox said:
She is fucking fantastic, and is part of one of the most hilarious quest chains in gaming.
Her face reaction while
fucking up stairs
is priceless, also the talik she has at the end with Geralt. :lol

Just beat the game and I have to say that it's not often you're glad being late to the party as it were. That ending cinematic is quite the set-up for the next game, I'm glad I'll only have to wait a few months to play it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Oh God the Grandma I'd completely forgotten her :lol . She is brilliant. BIG SPOILERS
Her death is easily the funniest event in any game I've played

Well, finished the game as neutral.
What a fanstastic RPG, one of the best I played.

Now going to watch all the info about the witcher 2, just like I did when I beat Mass Effect 1 :D

Minamu

I'm stuck on the Beast boss fight :(
I have a couple of swallows but that's pretty much it and he puts some sort of spell on me so I can't move, while his companions gank me to death... I'm lvl 9 I believe. Abigail seem to die within seconds o_O

Top Bottom