• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Wok

Sadly I don't know a good way to find the ones you're missing. Some major ones to check (puzzle spoilers!):
Did you do the hidden pillar puzzle near the start? Did you circle the island and make sure to activate every boat panel? Did you do all 3 elevator panels in the mountain hidden area? Did you do the bonus area to get to the audio log credits?
You might also be missing some scattered
isolated triangle panels.

About the spoiler, I know, but I don't really want to do them because:

They're really difficult to find and apparently nothing happens besides them turning white and affecting your save file name.
After spending 43 hours I've probably had my fill for quite a while. :p I don't want to further make myself sick of the nice landscape.

I have checked all your indications and got
one orange-triangle puzzle that I missed in the Keep mazes, plus another one on the sunken ship.
Still 1 left and no idea where to look for it.

Interestingly, I didn't find them too bad on the whole, although two of them (
The last one in the second line; the last one of the flip-top floor
) I really struggled with, to the extent of
recording and slowing down the audio

Yeah, both of these are a bit tricky in that
there are two bird chirps overlapping. You need to be able to tell, based on the layout of the panels, which one to listen to and which one to ignore. Then, the fact that they are played at the same time, may make it hard to tell them apart.

mclem

Yeah, both of these are a bit tricky in that
there are two bird chirps overlapping. You need to be able to tell, based on the layout of the panels, which one to listen to and which one to ignore. Then, the fact that they are played at the same time, may make it hard to tell them apart.

I listened for a long time. They're not strictly overlapping; they're two distinct sounds played independently of one another, so if you listen for long enough you should be able to get the relevant sound isolated. My major problem - other than the speed - wasn't so much the other chirp overlapping with the relevant one but the fact that the other chirp disrupted my chain of thought - much like someone counting might get put off by someone else reciting random numbers to them

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently sitting at 439 + 94 + 1 and feel stuck. There's 2 puzzles I haven't solved that I can think of:
there's probably 1 video at the shipwreck
and
the third panel of the color switching lights puzzle in town

Ahaaa! Thank you!

I can't believe I didn't see that before, even more annoying is I tried following the outline before and kept getting stuck, just didn't think to combine the two!!

Don't feel bad, that is the one puzzle I looked up too. I also smacked my head when I saw the solution. I think its because I didn't do all of that area at one time.

The + puzzles in
the videos
are cool. But this one might be my favorite one. Really clever & fun
use of the boat mechanic
that would be even better had I figured it out myself, argh!

Inkwell

Banned
I need a little help. Not sure what constitutes spoilers here. It involves audio logs and the puzzle total. I'll just spoiler everything.
I'm down to needing 1 audio log. According to the lake it's the one closest to the monastery laser. I feel kind of stupid because it seems easy. Either it's out in the open and I'm just missing it, or it's underground and I have no clue which part of the caves is under that section.

On top of that, I'm still missing 2 puzzles. I found 1, which was one of the puzzles for the cave elevator. I have every triangle puzzle done, I've used each boat location, and I've completed every other panel I've come across. I have all of the pillars completed too (outside of the one for the secret ending, doing that last). I assume it's something like the elevator where I wouldn't think to do other panels, unless some puzzles are counted more than once for multiple solutions.

mclem

Okay this last one just made all of my progress obsolete. This is insane. Inside the final area after the lasers
mountain
spoiler.

http://imgur.com/yRdmr0g

I loved that, just that one innocuous new element, and suddenly, everything goes out of the window.

Interestingly, it looks like you broadly had the same process as me prior to that before realising you need to change something up. If you want it, there is a small hint I could offer (but if you're thinking like me, it may come to you of its own accord):

You only need to change how you're thinking about one prior panel, and the other elements should fall into place as a result; they did for me

Here's a cheering thought, and I'll throw it out to the thread:

Somewhere out there is going to be someone who got the whole thing right from around the third or fourth panel onwards - or at least had it so the final change was completely trivial. Anyone here fit that bill?

I need a little help. Not sure what constitutes spoilers here. It involves audio logs and the puzzle total. I'll just spoiler everything.
I'm down to needing 1 audio log. According to the lake it's the one closest to the monastery laser. I feel kind of stupid because it seems easy. Either it's out in the open and I'm just missing it, or it's underground and I have no clue which part of the caves is under that section.

I haven't gone searching for my last puzzles yet, but I've done a tally of my audio logs.

Did you notice that there are two right next to each other at the Jungle entrance? (Which is itself a hint for the Jungle puzzles in the first place)

I have all of the pillars completed too

I have a question about that.
I found one of those in the starting area. How many more are there like that and where can they be found? I would never have found the one I found on my own, but It was a fun puzzle to solve, so I wouldn't want to miss out on any others like it.
Thanks!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oh man, just noticed there are even puzzles on
the videos
. Jeez... (unlocked 3 in a row).
I freaking gasped the first time I discovered this on my own in the
slow candle walk video
. It lit up my freaking face & mind. I thought "Jonathan Blow, you brilliant son of a bitch!"

I have a question about that.
I found one of those in the starting area. How many more are there like that and where can they be found? I would never have found the one I found on my own, but It was a fun puzzle to solve, so I wouldn't want to miss out on any others like it.
Thanks!

That post was talking about
the black pillars that track your completion of the + puzzles.

As far as anyone knows, that starting pillar is unique.

Took a break to play the Division over the weekend, after getting frustrated with the poor explanation for the Tetris shape/Swamp puzzles - which lead to the only time I've broken down and looked for help online. Not the answers to the puzzles, but for the mechanics of the pieces to be explained. That had the unintended side effect of the + Puzzles also being spoiled for me, which put me in a place of almost checking out of the game entirely.

Thankfully, after a few days away with some mindless shooting fun, I came back to the Witness on Sunday and fell DEEP down the rabbit hole again. I still feel like the Tetris pieces are initially poorly explained, but the later augmentations to that puzzle type are handled much better. It's also taught me that if I don't 100% understand how something is working, to keep banging my head against the tutorial puzzles using trial and error to test my theories.

Which was a good lesson to learn because as I started through the Quarry, with the Triangle pieces, I again had the totally wrong conception about what was happening, and testing my theory seemed to return entirely random results. (i.e. Make the same 'wrong' pattern over and over again, and different things would happen). Being able to fully grasp what was going on in that section made triggering that lazer feel almost like the easiest one yet.

I also felt less bad about having the + puzzles spoiled as I saw where I "should" have discovered them first and it was fairly obvious from there. If I'd followed my first instinct after
triggering the first lazer and following it up to the mountain to see what was going on, I would have saw the panel piece calling attention to the river and I'm confident I would have tried triggering the river as well.

One final thought, regarding the room under the Windmill. Anyone feel like
the majority of these videos you unlock are no better than a stoned college philosophy major rambling? I spent a half hour listening to one dude taking extremely awkward pauses while talking, about how we can never really 'know' but that all we are is 'knowing' - that we never really 'see' because 'seeing' is just light reflected and mirrored in our eyes and processed by our brains which is limited by our own sense of 'knowing'. I feel like I get what Blow is going for here as it relates to the puzzle solving of the game, but it also feels like I can't find an 'eyeroll.gif' big enough to capture the use of these talks in game.

Future

I still don't understand the Tetris pieces to be honest. Gonna have to work my way back to the tutorial area and try to learn them again. Every time I see them combined with other puzzle types I can never do them

I also felt less bad about having the + puzzles spoiled as I saw where I "should" have discovered them first and it was fairly obvious from there. If I'd followed my first instinct after
triggering the first lazer and following it up to the mountain to see what was going on, I would have saw the panel piece calling attention to the river and I'm confident I would have tried triggering the river as well.

One final thought, regarding the room under the Windmill. Anyone feel like
the majority of these videos you unlock are no better than a stoned college philosophy major rambling? I spent a half hour listening to one dude taking extremely awkward pauses while talking, about how we can never really 'know' but that all we are is 'knowing' - that we never really 'see' because 'seeing' is just light reflected and mirrored in our eyes and processed by our brains which is limited by our own sense of 'knowing'. I feel like I get what Blow is going for here as it relates to the puzzle solving of the game, but it also feels like I can't find an 'eyeroll.gif' big enough to capture the use of these talks in game.

I had them spoiled for me too, except I did go up to the mountain, did see the panel and the river below, did "solve" the panel itself, and still completely failed to notice what the point was. Still, I feel like the surprise wasn't completely ruined because later while walking I saw another one that completely blew me away.

As for the videos, I have to say I'm not that big on the teachings of mystics and gurus either. (And he admits in the video that very few people are even interested in the first place.) But what's remarkable is that the game compiles a collection of quotes from all kinds of people that come together to present a consistent idea. For example, the Einstein quote about the human mind being unable to grasp the universe, like a child in a library of incomprehensible books, is basically the same idea.

What's the score for that? Which
lasers
do they trigger on the way, or do they glitch into ending areas?

Early on I did notice that you can see and operate
the grid for the laser in Shady Trees
by
getting up very close to the gate. You can't deduce the answer at that point, of course, but I wonder if you can enter it if you already know it?

Also, I would hazard a guess they do the
Keep

They do
7 of the lasers: the whole symmetry area, skip two sets of panels in the desert (the ones that start turned on but disappear if you get it wrong, in the beginning and the water room), do the Shady Trees skip that you mentioned, do the Hedge Maze side of the Keep, the Bamboo and Temple completely (but for the temple, they don't need to look through the windows) and almost the whole town (except that they can skip the 'color puzzle' by knowing the answer to the one behind the door). Don't know the exact door but some of the speed that the panels are solved are incredible.

Kaiken

Banned
500+ club! It appears I have just one final
epic run of puzzles.
This game was incredible and started this years gaming to a very high note.

papo

So I have done about 280 puzzles. Have about 6 lasers going and am about to finish some puzzles for the 7th.

Didn't somebody say there are like 800 puzzles here? Aren't I close the end of the game then?

Also
I did one huge puzzle that was on the side of the mountain/island etc. A yellow one. After I did it some fireworks went off, but then I don't know what that did

Another question:
What do those Puzzle boxes do? I have opened to puzzle boxes that just open up and have asort of design in them, but no a puzzle to be done. It even has a simple puzzle to open the box. What do those do?

One last one:
In the tree house and I think in other places I've seen some easy grey like puzzles that have triangles on them. When I do them I don not know if they do something at all.

Holy Shit I think I've missed all, but one of the environmental puzzles. didn't even think about them...

They do
7 of the lasers: the whole symmetry area, skip two sets of panels in the desert (the ones that start turned on but disappear if you get it wrong, in the beginning and the water room), do the Shady Trees skip that you mentioned, do the Hedge Maze side of the Keep, the Bamboo and Temple completely (but for the temple, they don't need to look through the windows) and almost the whole town (except that they can skip the 'color puzzle' by knowing the answer to the one behind the door). Don't know the exact door but some of the speed that the panels are solved are incredible.

As I watched I started thinking about whether he could have done the Town laser without climbing the tower.
Moments later he starts talking about the same idea. It was a great moment.

I guess there's really no chance that any of the four remaining areas could possibly be faster, unless gitches are found.

GhaleonEB

There are
a lot of tetris puzzles in the
swamp area....

152 puzzles in... things are slowing down hahaha.

Cut out shapes, get legos out, etc. Tetris puzzles become sooooooo much easier once you have something to physically play with on a grid. (I use graph paper and cut out graph paper squares.)

As I watched I started thinking about whether he could have done the Town laser without climbing the tower.
Moments later he starts talking about the same idea. It was a great moment.

I guess there's really no chance that any of the four remaining areas could possibly be faster, unless gitches are found.

Yeah, besides execution here and there, like in the random doors. I thought about going for the greenhouse one instead of the town but I don't know off the top of my head how long it takes to wait for the elevator (you can skip and do the last puzzle of the elevator right off the bat, and the town has a pretty big amount of puzzles, even if he solved them all super quickly). Quarry/Swamp have you waiting for platforms, you can only get to Treehouse by boat and you don't even get the boat if you don't go to the quarry and it also has a million puzzles.

100% would probably just be all puzzles plus videos, since there are a couple of the obelisks that rely too much on waiting.

How many total panel puzzles are there? I think I've had my fill of + puzzles, but I'd like to max out on panels before I pack it up.

Consensus seems to be that total is

Also has this been posted already?
https://vine.co/v/i59gzFZewh9
Great vid (no spoilers)

Splat

End game Q:

In the caves there's a lockbox that opens that has a cascading square + triangles code/puzzle in it, instead of the hex codes for the windmill. What's it for?

End game Q:

In the caves there's a lockbox that opens that has a cascading square + triangles code/puzzle in it, instead of the hex codes for the windmill. What's it for?

You've already seen what it's for, but it may have been a while ago.

Another question:
What do those Puzzle boxes do? I have opened to puzzle boxes that just open up and have asort of design in them, but no a puzzle to be done. It even has a simple puzzle to open the box. What do those do?

One last one:
In the tree house and I think in other places I've seen some easy grey like puzzles that have triangles on them. When I do them I don not know if they do something at all.

Everything you're asking about,
you should keep in mind until you recognize something that matches up. Some of this requires you to do more than the bare minimum required for an ending.

Consensus seems to be that total is

Hmm damn. Should I put in the effort to find the rest. I think I'm about 10 off right now. Is there any series of puzzles that would be easy to miss?

I have done ***VERY POST ENDGAME SPOILERS***

1. All zones and orchard
2. Under mountain and the challenge
3. All videos collectibles
4. I think half of the discarded panels

That still leaves me with about 7 missing. I pretty sure I've done all shortcut puzzles between zones. Looking up the puzzles I missed might take more effort than just wandering around...

Catvoca

Banned
Question about what puzzle mechanics are in the ending area of the game:
Is there any blue tetris blocks in the ending area? I think I know every other basic mechanic in the game, but I haven't went far enough into the swamp to see these. I want to know if I can get through the ending areas without knowing how to solve them.

Hmm damn. Should I put in the effort to find the rest. I think I'm about 10 off right now. Is there any series of puzzles that would be easy to miss?

I have done ***VERY POST ENDGAME SPOILERS***

1. All zones and orchard
2. Under mountain and the challenge
3. All videos collectibles
4. I think half of the discarded panels

That still leaves me with about 7 missing. I pretty sure I've done all shortcut puzzles between zones. Looking up the puzzles I missed might take more effort than just wandering around...

-End Elevator counts as one.
-One panel near the start has two solutions that count as different panels.
-There are two against the back of the wall in the quarry tutorial for the propeller.
-Check the lake: bright orange triangle leaves are the triangle panels you haven't done yet.
-For the mountain elevator, up and down count as different solutions, and for the underground elevator, there are 3 panels (one in each floor, one on the elevator itself)

Sorry about that. Endgame spoilers here.

The Random Door puzzle is killing me. There is no virtually no way I myself can possibly complete this puzzle. No way.

You don't need to solve both at the same time

thefil

Yesterday was huge progress for me. Unfortunately, it came at the cost of getting two big hints, which I'd previously done without.

Cleared the ship puzzle. The hint I needed was that
the scale of the sounds was much longer than I expected. I was looking for note progressions in each tight pairing of drops, or one creak, and not separating them out. I guess the red light just meant that the colours were not to be trusted, as I ignored them and the puzzle was solved without issue.

The other big hint was that
there was another cable on the mountain top
. I followed it all the way down until it goes underground near the
sitting man with the panel
but I haven't yet figured out how to get deeper.

Got a bunch of + puzzles in my explorations. The sky mocks me.

Finally, watched
5 of the videos
. Boy, some tone changes between those. I'm still missing #4. Unlike the audio logs, I'm not sure I believe these contribute well to the game thematically or dissolve into a homogeneous game experience.

Long enough ago that I have no idea :(

Can you think of a panel that you "solved" without needing to find an actual solution?

Question about what puzzle mechanics are in the ending area of the game:
Is there any blue tetris blocks in the ending area? I think I know every other basic mechanic in the game, but I haven't went far enough into the swamp to see these. I want to know if I can get through the ending areas without knowing how to solve them.

There aren't any there.

I still don't understand the Tetris pieces to be honest. Gonna have to work my way back to the tutorial area and try to learn them again. Every time I see them combined with other puzzle types I can never do them

I still think the tutorial sections of this area are poor. There is really only ONE panel that explains what you and I both had trouble understanding, and it has a couple of solutions that don't really solidify what you should be getting from it.

My only suggestion would be to work through all of the Swamp area before attempting to move onto other puzzles that incorporate Tetris blocks and finishing up the swamp will make sure you have an understanding of the pieces completely. (And all of their various quirks)

The following wall of black bars is related to experiences in the room under the Windmill:

As for the videos, I have to say I'm not that big on the teachings of mystics and gurus either. (And he admits in the video that very few people are even interested in the first place.) But what's remarkable is that the game compiles a collection of quotes from all kinds of people that come together to present a consistent idea. For example, the Einstein quote about the human mind being unable to grasp the universe, like a child in a library of incomprehensible books, is basically the same idea.

It's not that it's not interesting, I think most rational human beings have at least wondered about how they can really "know" anything since we are inherently isolated to our own experiences... I guess for me, it's more the delivery than the message. Of the three videos I've unlocked, two of them have been long segments of a man or a woman talking with very odd quirks in their speaking patterns, with odd technical issues, and the delivery of their reasoning is so mellow as to be sleep inducing. They are also incredibly long winded, using overly flowery language, for no other apparent reason than using flowery language. (My cynical take is because if they used common language it would seem too self apparent and so using complicated language for abstract ideas allows them an air of soothsayer, or guru)

I'll agree in part with you, the breadth and depth of the collection of audio logs, and videos, all around a central coherent idea is impressive, but only in how he's managed to tie that into the experience of solving the puzzles within the game. Again - I think this is a well explored topic in the world at large, as indicated by the amount of material available in the game, it's just never been presented in a game like this, and with such deep ties to the mechanics of the game they are in.

Splat

Can you think of a panel that you "solved" without needing to find an actual solution?

Other than brute forcing a bunch of triangle panels through the early part of the game, nothing pops off the top of my head, unless it's way back in the starter area?

Edit: n/m got it

I managed to get 522 + 135 + 6 with only 3 hints:

1. The red door in the ship. No guilt about this one, as I'm pretty tone deaf, and the forest was already brutal for me.

2. How to get into the secret area. I even had the general idea, it just never occurred to me to look under a certain object.

3. The last + puzzle. There was one in the swamp I just couldn't find.

Looking around though, I see the highest puzzle count is 523. I checked all of the ones people are saying are frequently missed, but I already had them all. Anyone know of a list of optional/easily missed puzzles?

EDIT: Found it. It was a triangle puzzle in the castle. I thought I had them all, but I went back and took a good look at
the pond. There was one orange triangle that's close to a white flower which makes it difficult to see from most angles.

Inkwell

Banned
I managed to get 522 + 135 + 6 with only 3 hints:

1. The red door in the ship. No guilt about this one, as I'm pretty tone deaf, and the forest was already brutal for me.

2. How to get into the secret area. I even had the general idea, it just never occurred to me to look under a certain object.

3. The last + puzzle. There was one in the swamp I just couldn't find.

Looking around though, I see the highest puzzle count is 523. I checked all of the ones people are saying are frequently missed, but I already had them all. Anyone know of a list of optional/easily missed puzzles?

I'm in the same situation. Here are a few that may be potential issues:

1. Most obvious is the optional triangle puzzles.
2. Re-activating the door at the beginning counts towards the total (you should have this one).
3. The elevator in the caves has 3 separate panels that need to be used (bottom, top, and one in the elevator)
4. There's the puzzle in the purple section of the swamp (though if you have all the + puzzles you probably have this one).
5. I'm not sure if the boat panels count but I would double check you've used all of them.

I'm really frustrated at the moment because I swear I've done everything. I'm missing a single audio log too that I just can't find.

Ansatz

Guys I found a hidden place where you have to solve it using the triangle mechanic I think, can someone tell me how they work?

Top Bottom