• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Autumn forest help:
Final panel, inside the gates. All the ones leading up to this have been pretty damn easy, but here I have no idea. I tried looking at the actual tree instead of the unhelpful shadow, but no luck. A hint, please.

You may already realize this, so it may not be of any help but...

Little hint:
There are two gates.

Slightly less little hint:
They both open.

roytheone

Autumn forest help:
Final panel, inside the gates. All the ones leading up to this have been pretty damn easy, but here I have no idea. I tried looking at the actual tree instead of the unhelpful shadow, but no luck. A hint, please.

I was stuck on this puzzle for ages :(

What did you need to do before you could start the puzzle for real? and what was the difference between those actions?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was stuck on this puzzle for ages :(

What did you need to do before you could start the puzzle for real? and what was the difference between those actions?

Ah, shit.
I was doing exactly this (both going in the light and in the shadow), I just wasn't thinking about it terms of even halves of the panel. Now it's so obvious.

Wok

Use the rotating platform to go to the purple section. There's a puzzle down some stairs there. Not quite sure what it does.

You know, I like you.

This was the missing puzzle. I will be able to get the
full 523
completion.

rezn0r

Made a decent amount of progress today, just not in the areas I was expecting. Barely a dent in the swamp, then cleared the five puzzles inside the sawmill (struggled all weekend, but having cut outs to arrange made them very doable) only to
find I don't know how to solve the two it opens up down below. I'm assuming these are the ones I need to open up the second half of the door, as no other panels are open, but I'll find out when I come back.

Working on the treetop area now.

I feel like there are mini-bosses everywhere, and I keep having to retreat to level up in order to beat them. But instead of building up experience, I build up knowledge. It's an enormous breath of fresh air.

almost exactly how i felt yesterday. hadn't played from Thursday to Monday, was stuck at the swamp, knocked that out pretty fast after loading it back up. then managed to quickly finish 3 more areas, now stuck again. it's awesome.

Spoo

Ugh, feeling aggravated with the challenge.

Gotten to the last room twice now, and even had plenty of time for the last cylinder, but failed because I just can't think fast enough :\ Makes me feel pretty stupid when I end up wasting too much time on one of the pyramid puzzles, or even just a separate the colors one. And don't get me started on the fucking symmetry. I just can't get a good "roll" for the entire challenge. The irony is that this is the first puzzle of the game that makes me feel legit stupid

Bowlie

Banned
Endgame, about to beat question:

An elevator came from under the sea, and I'm feeling I'll finish the game soon. After whatever is coming, will I be able to keep walking around the island to finish all puzzles?

Kaiken

Banned
Endgame, about to beat question:

An elevator came from under the sea, and I'm feeling I'll finish the game soon. After whatever is coming, will I be able to keep walking around the island to finish all puzzles?
Yes. You'll need to reload your last save.

Gotten to the last room twice now, and even had plenty of time for the last cylinder, but failed because I just can't think fast enough : Makes me feel pretty stupid when I end up wasting too much time on one of the pyramid puzzles, or even just a separate the colors one. And don't get me started on the fucking symmetry. I just can't get a good "roll" for the entire challenge. The irony is that this is the first puzzle of the game that makes me feel legit stupid

Try getting the pillars wrong immediately with an approximate path, and then walking around as your line fades so you can easily see how to adjust it?

And then if you accidentally get it right, that's a bonus.

Samemind

I was typing up a post about to ask for help about a
Tetris
puzzle and as I was reminiscing over the all the things I tried, my mind wandered back to a solution that almost worked. Then I looked at the grid and realized all I needed to do was shift the solution up from where I tried it last time. I don't know whether to feel happy I didn't need help or to feel stupid for narrowly avoiding success.

Kaiken

Banned
Lmao, I was watching a streamer and he was said,
"It's like trying to solve a puzzle while someone is rubbing their hands in your face so you can't see"
in regards to the
final jungle puzzles.

If I enter the area after lighting 7. Beams, can i not continue the rest of the game after reaching the ending?

I want to see the ending and then continue the rest of the game

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, after getting
seven
lasers lit just the other day, I got
three
more out of the way very quickly today. Just the town left now, I believe. The ones I did today (
monastery, shady trees, jungle
) I found really easy, especially
jungle
. I've seen people complain about the
bird song
puzzles, but I just flew through those. Maybe they were so easy to me because
I've studied music, play music
, and all that, I don't know. By far the easiest section of the game for me. The others I mentioned were also mostly easy once you got the idea. Nothing like the complex multi-rule puzzles in some other places. Guess I accidentally saved the easiest for last (except for the town).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This game is so, so good. Struggled with the sawmill but man, that feeling when you finally figure out what the puzzle is doing. Amazing.

My one complaint with the game is that some of the the "tutorials" are so obtuse that you have zero idea what is going on. Much of it is guesswork. I solved the first puzzle in the desert and have zero idea how or why it worked.

Mindlog

Gotten to the last room twice now, and even had plenty of time for the last cylinder, but failed because I just can't think fast enough :\ Makes me feel pretty stupid when I end up wasting too much time on one of the pyramid puzzles, or even just a separate the colors one. And don't get me started on the fucking symmetry. I just can't get a good "roll" for the entire challenge. The irony is that this is the first puzzle of the game that makes me feel legit stupid
What made it much easier for me (end-game spoilers):
Was figuring out how many dots there were. Figuring that out makes it easier to work backwards and deduce whether or not your solution is successful in much the same way you rule out panels in the area before the labyrinth.
(more end-game spoilers)
Found a new handful of environmental puzzles without trying. Almost have the first totem completed. That last area is some trippy Alice in Wonderland type stuff. Still missing like a dozen panels even though I only know of one.

Sai-kun

Banned
omfg....bunker spoilers

just realized that the first video
has two points that might line up with partial circles on either side of the viewing window??? mind fucking BLOWN holy SHIT

Wow, after getting
seven
lasers lit just the other day, I got
three
more out of the way very quickly today. Just the town left now, I believe. The ones I did today (
monastery, shady trees, jungle
) I found really easy, especially
jungle
. I've seen people complain about the
bird song
puzzles, but I just flew through those. Maybe they were so easy to me because
I've studied music, play music
, and all that, I don't know. By far the easiest section of the game for me. The others I mentioned were also mostly easy once you got the idea. Nothing like the complex multi-rule puzzles in some other places. Guess I accidentally saved the easiest for last (except for the town).

I also found
the jungle
very easy. Spent more time searching for the panels than solving them. Like you I also have
studied music quite a bit
which I'm sure helpes. AsI said in another post,
designing puzzles based on music or pitch must be pretty hard. For people who have musical training and talent they will likely be too easy unless you make it too hard for 95 % of players. And even if you make them pretty easy, it will be impossible for some people no matter what. I'm not sure how this dilemma can be handled.

Just got to the
colours and shapes
puzzles. Really enjoying it - thought I had them sussed and then it threw in the variation where you can
match one star shape with a non-star shape
- and now I'm slightly confused again. Not asking for tips - I've just not looked at it for very long yet.

thefil

Ended up getting a hint to find the
tunnels
area. I had already spent literally hours searching up and down the mountain across over 3 play sessions and just missed that
little trigger underneath the box
. I was convinced I had it when I
sent the elevator back up without me
, and found the source of the waterfall. Sigh. I feel deflated having gotten the hint, though.

I am pretty stuck in the Marsh section
on a 5 x 5 puzzle where there is a corner piece in the middle with a purple, red, black and blue square at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.
Does anyone have a mild hint?

So against my own better judgement I wiki searched the Tree house solutions. I researched two panels. I regret it, but at the same time I just don't understand the logic in figuring these out. Can anyone explain the logic in the solution for the last two in the first stretch of outward-folding panels? Spoiler it if you like. I already know the solution but I want to know WHY

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OK, I tried everything with the
loon
puzzle. I followed the
sound
of the
call
exactly and still nothing.

JerkShep

So close to finally beating the Challenge....
arrived at the last puzzle but panicked and couldn't complete it
. In the last two days I think I spent 4 hours with this puzzle. I need a break, maybe let the game be for a few days. But I'm SO CLOSE.

Not since Manus SL1 in Dark Souls have I been so obsessed with something in a game.

Bowlie

Banned
Nothingness

Yuuup.

So against my own better judgement I wiki searched the Tree house solutions. I researched two panels. I regret it, but at the same time I just don't understand the logic in figuring these out. Can anyone explain the logic in the solution for the last two in the first stretch of outward-folding panels? Spoiler it if you like. I already know the solution but I want to know WHY

To be 100% sure, by "first" you mean this?
If not, take a screenshot, link it here and I'll help you understand the logic c:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I also found
the jungle
very easy. Spent more time searching for the panels than solving them. Like you I also have
studied music quite a bit
which I'm sure helpes. AsI said in another post,
designing puzzles based on music or pitch must be pretty hard. For people who have musical training and talent they will likely be too easy unless you make it too hard for 95 % of players. And even if you make them pretty easy, it will be impossible for some people no matter what. I'm not sure how this dilemma can be handled.

Very true. Guess that's why they remained on such a casual level and never really "took off". That concept could easily have been ramped up to something much more complex and challenging, as is done with most other mechanics in the game, but then it would probably have become an impassable roadblock for many people. Oh well, it was a nice little distraction for a few minutes!

Blizzard

Banned
Very true. Guess that's why they remained on such a casual level and never really "took off". That concept could easily have been ramped up to something much more complex and challenging, as is done with most other mechanics in the game, but then it would probably have become an impassable roadblock for many people. Oh well, it was a nice little distraction for a few minutes!
Vague puzzle theme spoiler:

Somewhere in the game there's at least one tough one. I've studied music theory but I still had an annoying time working out the sound puzzles.

Top Bottom