• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Do I have to start a new game to go to the
credits area?

You can and then just reload your other save after seeing it, but there is also a way to close the gate given to you in the challenge area.

Straight answer
There was a pattern in a box down there that you can put on the gate controls.

GlamFM

Banned
You can and then just reload your other save after seeing it, but there is also a way to close the gate given to you in the challenge area.

Straight answer
There was a pattern in a box down there that you can put on the gate controls.

Got it, thanks.

Bowlie

Banned
I'm stuck on this puzzle in the marsh.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CayV-3JXEAEqn7J.jpg

I know the puzzle matches my surroundings and I've got to rotate the platform but don't know how to go about solving the puzzle. Hint please.

You have a tetris piece in the middle of the board, and you looked at the world and saw its representation there. Now look at the squares in the world and think what kind of puzzle piece could they be represented as on the board too.

I would add the
busted elevator
puzzle, personally.

I definitely considered that based on the number of questions asked in this thread, but a lot of people were actually asking because they solved it by guessing and couldn't figure out why... So technically it's not "hard" to solve it by luck.

Is there a fast way to compile all the spoiler-tagged posts from this thread, if you wanted to actually count how many times each puzzle was asked about?

Anyhow, Slitherlink has one key mechanic that's different from Witness puzzles - the line in Slitherlink must form a single closed loop, rather than head from a specific start to a specific end. The skillset is very similar - methods and shortcuts you pick up from Slitherlink can also be applied - for the most part - to The Witness, but you need to be careful about that little nuance.

Of late I've been playing Pearl from the collection, which I think could fit quite nicely in The Witness (although, that said, the mechanics might be too difficult to teach in the Witness's format)

Interesting complication. I guess that could keep the solutions much more open-ended.

I think you could teach Pearl easily if you came up with clear symbols to use, and put in some panels with lots of breaks. That said, the kind of information Pearl provides might make things too easy in the average-sized Witness panel.

There's a cloud that drifts back and forth and periodically fills in the missing path.

It's like a more reasonable version of the star in Braid where you wait hours for a cloud to move into place.

Ohh, yeah that's right, thanks! I totally should replay Braid soon.

I thought about it and I even looked for clouds that could fit in some way but I just thought it was too far-fetched.

Soooooooooo after getting the Platinum...

Is there more to it?

Anyone completed all the obelisks?

More hidden doors, more hidden stuff?

Maybe you should try the
challenge
without cheating? I mean, you did it for the achievement, but now when you're done with the achievements you might as well play for fun.

ultron87

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Platinum get!

(Last trophy)
My last pillar solution was definitely just throwing something at the wall that I wasn't totally sure was going to work. It clicking white was the best feeling.

(Last trophy)
My last pillar solution was definitely just throwing something at the wall that I wasn't totally sure was going to work. It clicking white was the best feeling.

I had the exact same experience.
I was taking my time and figuring it out and then the music started getting loud and I freaked out and just threw something at it and got it right. Felt amazing.

mclem

(Last trophy)

When I got my last trophy...

I wasn't quite sure how many of the final riffs of HOTMK were still to come, but I knew it was near the end, and I knew I'd covered the dots I was aware of... so I dived into the endpoint... and failed.

I hastily rebuilt that solution, drifted around a little further, spotted one lone dot I hadn't accounted for and swept it up and hit the end just as the music was petering out.

GhaleonEB

You're fine. You can reload your save from the last puzzle before the ending.

Is that how the ending works? I assumed we could just keep going after. But it sounds like you have to beat the last area / puzzle twice if you beat it with less than full completion and want to do so again with an all clear?

Is that how the ending works? I assumed we could just keep going after. But it sounds like you have to beat the last area / puzzle twice if you beat it with less than full completion and want to do so again with an all clear?

I just finished the final area for the first time last night, and haven't done any of the post-game stuff yet, so I can't comment on that.

What I can say is that, after the ending, you're prompted to start a new game. You can, of course, still load your previous save.

The game will never save beyond a point of no return. Since your completion is defined by the numbers on your save, by definition nothing that is only doable beyond a point of no return can count.

Ambitious

Stuck in (endgame)
the caves. There's three puzzles I can't solve. Two of them are on a wooden wall: A tetris puzzle and the one with the rainbow background. The third one is at the gate to what I believe is the challenge area everyone's talking about. There's three stars and four square tetrominos, all in green. I kinda forgot how stars work together with tetrominos.

Stuck in (endgame)
the caves. There's three puzzles I can't solve. Two of them are on a wooden wall: A tetris puzzle and the one with the rainbow background. The third one is at the gate to what I believe is the challenge area everyone's talking about. There's three stars and four square tetrominos, all in green. I kinda forgot how stars work together with tetrominos.

It's a variation on one from the marsh. Nothing to do here but try different combinations.

Think about what the real colors must be. The truth is much simpler than the appearance.

Each star must be paired with another star or tetromino. No tricks here except finding the only configuration that works.

Jux

Just "completed" the game with all main areas at 437 +22. Now I know I have some (a lot?) of unsolved stuff (
Shipyard, the one in the mountain where the line would stop after a certain distance, orange puzzles hidden everywhere, black pillars with symbols on them, environment puzzles, the grey cloud...
) but I don't really want to ask for tips yet!

Well maybe just one:
Regarding the one in the mountain I mentionned earlier. Should I have learned already why the line won't go after a certain distance? Same applies to the shipyard one but I don't feel like I've seen anything like it before. Is there some place I missed that explains it?

Anyway, what an awesome game this is!

Well maybe just one:
Regarding the one in the mountain I mentionned earlier. Should I have learned already why the line won't go after a certain distance? Same applies to the shipyard one but I don't feel like I've seen anything like it before. Is there some place I missed that explains it?

If you have all the lasers, then you've already seen this before.

Recognize the colored hexagons from anywhere?

If you've completed
all 11 lasers
, you've encountered the phenomenon behind this already.

Might've been a ways back, though.

Is there a way to see puzzle or game completion numbers in PS4?

Pause and go to the load game option.

Sai-kun

Banned
Holy shit I did it. I finished (endgame)
the challenge! I got my second platinum ever! Fuck yeah!

the video it unlocked...I almost screamed. I can't believe this game lmao. I GET it.

Schryver

I just finished the final area for the first time last night, and haven't done any of the post-game stuff yet, so I can't comment on that.

What I can say is that, after the ending, you're prompted to start a new game. You can, of course, still load your previous save.

So if I want to try for 100% I might as well keep going until there's nothing left to do except the final area? Any reason to beat it before if I have to reload my save anyways?

Jux

If you've completed
all 11 lasers
, you've encountered the phenomenon behind this already.

Might've been a ways back, though.

Hmm I did not count them, I assumed there was as many as there was trophies. Gotta go back and check, thanks!

GhaleonEB

Jonathan Blow will be doing an AMA on Reddit this Friday.

I’ll be having a reddit AMA on Friday the 12th of February

If you don’t know what that is, it means people can ask a bunch of questions and I type furiously to answer them in the time allotted.

This will be Friday, February 12th, starting at 1pm Eastern (10am Pacific) and going for … a while?

I have made a new reddit account with the fabulous name of “Jonathan_Blow” for these purposes. (Note the underscore! There are some other accounts with similar names!)

Maybe we can also get some other people from the team in there answering questions.

Should be fun.

hughesta

Banned
My friend finishes the game and wanted to do the
challenge, but says he's stuck in an elevator and can't get out. Anything I can tell him?

AlterOdin

It's not that elaborate. Go back to basics.

You're thinking too hard.

You have the right idea, just no the right execution! Did you do symmetry?

Ok, solved it, also noticed there was a tree/plant/bush (a little darker color) on the second column from the left, middle row, IE my star theory fell apart. But are the tree's supposed to represent something we learned? Can't remember just "tracing the top" of something as a requirement. Or have I just misunderstood the solution?

Anyway; thx for the help, town laser up! :)

GhaleonEB

Ok, solved it, also noticed there was a tree/plant/bush (a little darker color) on the second column from the left, middle row, IE my star theory fell apart. But are the tree's supposed to represent something we learned? Can't remember just "tracing the top" of something as a requirement. Or have I just misunderstood the solution?

Anyway; thx for the help, town laser up! :)

Have you done the symmetry area? Specifically
the puzzles along the lower coast line in that area.

Oh, I see.
There was a skippable sequence of "tracing the top" panels on the symmetry island.
You might have missed it.

I only have two puzzles left, and it's the goddamn . It's the first
"environmental"
puzzle I found (!) and I still haven't managed to solve it. I can do the first one fine, but I can't get the cursor to stay in the brown/orange lines on the building, it just hops back to the last blade each time.

Any hints would be appreciated.

AlterOdin

Have you done the symmetry area? Specifically
the puzzles along the lower coast line in that area.

Oh, I see.
There was a skippable sequence of "tracing the top" panels on the symmetry island.
You might have missed it.

Hmm, can't remember it, will double check. Thx for the heads up.

Edit: Yup, had not seen them, easy peasy :) Almost went insane, looking for reflections, tracing paths/walls, atleast I solved a "plus" puzzle when taking the boat to symetry island.

I only have two puzzles left, and it's the goddamn . It's the first
"environmental"
puzzle I found and I still haven't managed to solve it. I can do the first one fine, but I can't get the cursor to stay in the brown lines on the building, it just hops back to the last blade each time.

Any hints would be appreciated.

I'm stuck on the same thing! Know what I have to do, but the cursor won't obey.

Funny,
it would actually be easier if the windmill looked like it did in that picture.

Servbot24

Banned
I am stuck on the
camouflage
panels. I completed the first one, but I don't know why it worked. Are there environmental cues for this, or is it simply figuring out the rule within the panel?

Peltz

I'm just so effing stuck on this. Can someone please give me a slight hint?

12697330_10101289863714680_7408840763795885960_o.jpg

Top Bottom