• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

GlamFM

Banned
It looks like it's the second to last one. There's a bird kinda howling?

Ahh.... yeah, these are annoying.

I don´t know if this applies to this specific puzzle, but sometimes it´s not the bird you have to pay attention to, but a second sound you almost don´t hear if you don´t really focus on it.

I agree, i finished the game and i used a walktrough cause i actually had to play on mute most of the time. I heard the sounds afterwards... I dient miss anything, the sound puzzles didnt make much sense to me near the end, even with the walktrough

TheRyanx2

Neo Member

I don´t know if this applies on this specific puzzle, but sometimes it not the bird you have to pay attention to, but a second sound you almost don´t hear if you don´t really focus on it.

Yeah, you have to train your ears to focus only on the one sound that applies to the puzzle. The thing that helped me a lot on those last couple of puzzles were the shape of the puzzles themselves, they help point the way to the sound you need to focus on.

Draper

I don´t know if this applies to this specific puzzle, but sometimes it´s not the bird you have to pay attention to, but a second sound you almost don´t hear if you don´t really focus on it.

Man...I've fully understood the concept up to this point...I'm torn...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Ambitious

Follow Jasons advice. ;)

Oh, by the way, I just remembered this:

Ca3ZGMeWAAAhnoM.jpg:large

I think it would be fun to ask some people who have 'finished' the game ( or quit the game halfway through ) some general questions:

I got spoiled here due to clicking on a spoiler tag without thinking.

I knew that the challenge existed, and I knew the secret room shown in the trailer had something to do with it - and that's all. I put everything else together after actually finding the place.

It was overall fine. The random symmetry puzzles were frustrating for a while, until I got used to them.

I think 25-35 tries, including manually abandoned attempts.

Followed it immediately.

Searching for audio logs and triangle panels is proving to be more frustrating than any of the actual puzzles. In first-person games, nausea tends to kick in when I need to search for something and can't find it - which I never had to do until now.

Diamond

I must be one of the only ones to find them extremely simple. Took like 5 minutes to do all of them. Other than the boat one, that was annoying.

I loved the audio puzzles. One of my favorite sections in the game. Headphones are a must.

I'm curious :
did you guys found the last puzzle where you must "draw" the sound with the line easy (the one where there's the owling) ? I found the others totally doable (like, I listened to the sounds once or twice and found the solution), but this one I just couldn't figure out, and when I found the answer I wasn't really convinced it was an accurate representation of what I heard.

Markew001

I'm curious :
did you guys found the last puzzle where you must "draw" the sound with the line easy (the one where there's the owling) ? I found the others totally doable (like, I listened to the sounds once or twice and found the solution), but this one I just couldn't figure out, and when I found the answer I wasn't really convinced it was an accurate representation of what I heard.

It has been about a week but from what I remember
they all followed the sound correctly and that's how I solved them. I'd have to go back to see/hear it again to remember for sure but I DO remember them all making sense at the time.

mclem

I'm curious :

I actually went to the extent of
recording the audio and slowing it down
. I was happy with my answer once I'd done that.

I might still have the
slowed audio
if someone wants it.

Catvoca

Banned
Sometimes I feel like the only person that liked the Jungle section a lot. I thought the
audio
mechanic was really cool, the first time I figured it out was rad. I also didn't have that much trouble with it though,

giapel

I feel that people that see the witness as just a series of puzzles are selling this game extremely short. No, I haven't really figured out a wider meaning to all of it but some of its imagery, clever views and perspectives are just stunning. It's just full of great little touches that may not have any bearing on the gameplay but elevate the whole experience a lot. If anything, it's a masterclass of world building.

ultron87

Here's my Challenge run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk3mtE3qaz0

In rewatching I'm actually surprised this was the one that got it done for me. I waffled a bunch on the tetris puzzle and the two rows of "which is the possible one" puzzles.

I haven't seen a ton of the pillar puzzles but I feel like I lucked out on those which let my last guess get me there just as time was about to expire.

Had I not trimmed the clip you'd see the screen not moving for about a minute as I ran around the apartment with my arms held up in triumph.

Talking with some buddies it is interesting seeing the varying responses to this section. Some are like "it's random and bullshit!", mostly because it bring speed and control proficiency to a game that hasn't had that yet and others think it is a valid fun challenge. (And the people on the random side do know the maze thing.)

I do wonder how the hell this section will play in the iPad version.

Nillansan

I got a few questions regarding some environmental stuff (
puzzles I guess
) that I came by.

I randomly looked beneath the elevator in the Desert Ruins (the one that elevates the laser beam) and saw a pattern that basically looked like a line puzzle like the ones that you see on panels, I could even interact with it and once I "solved" it, a beam of light was sent across the sky. I also encountered another one later when I stood on top of a building in the Town area, there is also one near the Town Harbour. I also found one on a cliff side near the Bunker (you need to take the boat from the Swamp to the Town). They seem to add symbols to the Black Pillars found across the island. Are you required to solve these environmental puzzles in order to complete the game? Are they somehow related to the hidden Steam Achievement?

lt519

Love watching other people's Challenge runs, it's like a brief glimpse into how a person thinks. Posted mine a few posts up if you are interested.

Haha I always struggled on the tetromino puzzle as well. So is it true that two of the three panels are unsolvable? I found in general as I re-tried several times the best strategy was to start with panels that did not have a marker in the top right corner that was adjacent to a marker of another color. It's likely to be unsolvable, a few were, but for the most part those required complex patterns. By the end I was able to spot the "easy" (and maybe only ones with a solution) panels almost immediately.

Love that you tried just going straight up on the final pillar as a solution once! I think the pillars with the markers were the hardest while the black/white colors typically had an easy pattern.

As I colorblind person...

Can I solve this?

If it's about mixing colours, I am gonna be sad.

Sadly a lot of the game requires the ability to see colors. If you are fully color blind it'll be impossible, if you are partially colorblind like me you may be able make some educated guesses. I had trouble in that section with blue/purple and orange/yellow/red and ended up guessing multiple possible solutions until I hit one. Sorry ):

roytheone

Alright, so I just brute forced a puzzle but I am still curious what the "correct" way was of solving it:

It's in the bird jungle,
the puzzle right after the one with the wolf. I just put in the long beep as high, and then went through all the possibilities for the remaining three until i found the correct combination, which turned out to be low-medium-low. No idea why though, was that how i was meant to visualize the whistling man? Because that was NOT how I would visualize the pitch of that sound.

Mindlog

Here's my Challenge run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk3mtE3qaz0

In rewatching I'm actually surprised this was the one that got it done for me. I waffled a bunch on the tetris puzzle and the two rows of "which is the possible one" puzzles.

I haven't seen a ton of the pillar puzzles but I feel like I lucked out on those which let my last guess get me there just as time was about to expire.

Had I not trimmed the clip you'd see the screen not moving for about a minute as I ran around the apartment with my arms held up in triumph.

Talking with some buddies it is interesting seeing the varying responses to this section. Some are like "it's random and bullshit!", mostly because it bring speed and control proficiency to a game that hasn't had that yet and others think it is a valid fun challenge. (And the people on the random side do know the maze thing.)

I do wonder how the hell this section will play in the iPad version.
That's great. Lots of close call video on GAF.
I really liked what you are talking about. I thought it did a great job tying everything together with an extra cherry on top. I understand why some people fear the thing, but with a couple of honest efforts pretty much anybody can complete the thing.
I got a few questions regarding some environmental stuff (
puzzles I guess
) that I came by.

I randomly looked beneath the elevator in the Desert Ruins (the one that elevates the laser beam) and saw a pattern that basically looked like a line puzzle like the ones that you see on panels, I could even interact with it and once I "solved" it, a beam of light was sent across the sky. I also encountered another one later when I stood on top of a building in the Town area, there is also one near the Town Harbour. I also found one on a cliff side near the Bunker (you need to take the boat from the Swamp to the Town). They seem to add symbols to the Black Pillars found across the island. Are you required to solve these environmental puzzles in order to complete the game? Are they somehow related to the hidden Steam Achievement?
No to both questions.

Chris R

So I think I finally found the
Challenge
I see people talking about. Only spent half an hour on it last night, slightly drunk, hoping to get it all figured out today...

lt519

So I think I finally found the
Challenge
I see people talking about. Only spent half an hour on it last night, slightly drunk, hoping to get it all figured out today...

Haha, I solved it halfway through my 3rd beer. Like all other aspects of life I seem to peak around 2 beers deep.

any help would be great. I feel like I'm just making circles.

Here's the name of the locale, leave it up to you to find it.

jungle

w0s

I need help finding the next laser. I don't know how I haven't stumbled upon it. Here is what I have beaten

First area where you only power one side
Sun Temple
Mazes
Tree house
Town
Bunker
shaded trees
whatever you want to call the place where you walk over water and the last puzzle has you lifting cages

I also did the one with trees
and apples

any help would be great. I feel like I'm just making circles.

Mattia

Neo Member
Sadly a lot of the game requires the ability to see colors. If you are fully color blind it'll be impossible, if you are partially colorblind like me you may be able make some educated guesses. I had trouble in that section with blue/purple and orange/yellow/red and ended up guessing multiple possible solutions until I hit one. Sorry ):

Did you solve the ones before it by yourself?

I did solve the previous ones by myself, so I might be able to figure this other one out, thanks!

Are there many more color-based sections?

I need help finding the next laser. I don't know how I haven't stumbled upon it. Here is what I have beaten.

Look for a
quarry
nearby the edge of the
desert where the sun temple is

Nearby
the town
, there's a
temple area
. You've already gone near it if you've finished
the town

There's also a
bamboo-laden jungle
nearby
the temple
. Find a way to get inside.

I think it would be fun to ask some people who have 'finished' the game ( or quit the game halfway through ) some general questions:

1 ) Accidentally clicked a spoiler about the giant bomb look thinking it'd be something like an easter egg.

2 ) I was in a group chat right after the game released and we were aiming for 100%, so we found out about the challenge roughly at the same time, on our own.

3 ) The maze, because I didn't realize the triangle panels were the dots on the table puzzle before.

4 ) Six. Got it as soon as I realized there weren't more than two triangle puzzles in the maze. WIthout using R2 to be faster.

5 ) Follow it, but I had stopped by the town first.

6 ) Audio, followed by the Blue Squares at first.

lt519

I did solve the previous ones by myself, so I might be able to figure this other one out, thanks!

Are there many more color-based sections?

A lot of them actually but they rarely
use colors that are similar like blue/purple or red/orange like in The Bunker. They try and keep then pretty far away like using White, Blue and Green or White and Black

Afro

Just started playing yesterday, finally. Instant GOTY when I realized
in one of the very first environmental puzzles, the metal support holding the panel up was bent/twisted
. I actually shut the game off the instant I saw it. There are no words. Never felt this way playing a video game before.

I don't remember my details 100%, but I think I was
475 +53
or thereabouts.

1) Early in the game I wandered into the Town and explored the clock tower. I didn't find anything up there, but looked out and saw what seemed like a dot with a line coming out of it. On a whim I wondered if the puzzle interface would open; it did. Then I thought about clicking on the circle; it worked. One of the first eureka! moments I had in the game, and thankfully no one ruined it for me.

2) I didn't know about the Challenge after finishing the game, though I knew I hadn't finished all the lasers. I ended up reading about the existence of post-game material in the spoiler thread, though I didn't know the specifics of the Challenge itself until I played it.

3) I did find it very frustrating by the end, and the part I got caught on was the invisible maze with the two puzzles you have to find. I never figured out that the fourth puzzle is actually a map to the maze.

4) Probably 20-30 tries? Or maybe it just feels that way because of how long each run is. I definitely spent at least two hours on it, though not all in one session (thankfully).

5) I did neither; I saw the laser go up and said "that's cool" and moved on. Only later did I notice that the glass panel I'd manipulated in the Town suddenly had a laser pointed at it, and at that point it was immediately clear what I needed to do.

6) The careful-framing puzzles in the Monastery. It was the only laser in the game I didn't get on my own. In fact, I didn't even realize how to open up the bonsai tree, which is probably the dumbest I felt about any of the puzzles in The Witness.

While I'm here, add me to the list of players who liked the jungle puzzles.
I am glad they stopped when they did, though; the cacophony of sounds you have to hear every time you walk through was enough to make me avoid the area once I'd solved it.

Noaloha

Long past it now, but I never did get around to mentioning: as a 'soft' red-green colourblind person, oh boy did I have headaches trying to figure out / follow some of the + puzzles around the 'sunken' area.

Ambitious

What have you witnessed?

Hm, I thought it was obvious what I was referring to.

Spoiler warning: Do not read until you're sure you've seen everything.
I've opened the gate in the starting area. You know, the other one. The one which ultimately leads to that video.

lt519

If you are interested in what it's like to be Deutan color blind this is what the spectrum looks like. Now imagine some of the puzzles where the dark blue and purple are supposed to be distinguishable and
now rapidly flash them
. Used to drive me nuts in Destiny because I couldn't tell blue shielded enemies from purple shielded until they put in color blind settings. It'd be nice if he implemented a mode like this as well for the puzzles.

deuteranopia-color-spectrum.jpg

I'm only mild so the light red through green is hosed and my dark blue and dark purples are hosed.

Trojan

If you are interested in what it's like to be Deutan color blind this is what the spectrum looks like. Now imagine some of the puzzles where the dark blue and purple are supposed to be distinguishable and
now rapidly flash them
. Used to drive me nuts in Destiny because I couldn't tell blue shielded enemies from purple shielded until they put in color blind settings. It'd be nice if he implemented a mode like this as well for the puzzles.

deuteranopia-color-spectrum.jpg

I'm only mild so the light red through green is hosed and my dark blue and dark purples are hosed.

Damn, this graphic really puts it into perspective. It really is a shame to hear so many people with color blindness or hearing impairment who cannot finish the game.

The audio puzzles are garbage. I would recommend using a walkthrough for those and only those.

If you have
musical talent and training, they are going to be the easiest thing over. If you're tone deaf they're probably going to be the worst thing ever. Unless you're hopelessly tone deaf since birth I think you shouldn't just cheat your way through them. If you have any musical talent, this kind of exercise is a good way to train it and build it. It's on a very simple level, but may be a good starting point for some.

I'm not color-blind, but I actually use deuteranopia mode in another game with color mechanics (Intake). It seems to provide more consistent contrast than any arbitrary pair of colors.

As for the
sound puzzles
discussion, the entirety of the
jungle
took about an hour for me (not counting leaving partway through to work on other puzzles). All of the solutions seemed unambiguous to me, which I understand is far from the typical experience.

Edit: I'm actually going to go back through my screenshots and estimate how long it took to finish each area. This game seems to get me thinking about data like this.

Ambitious

I could need some help with the
audio puzzle
in the wrecked ship.
I found a post in this thread recommending to record the noises and speed them up. I was able to identify the noises corresponding to the red dots (I think), but I don't know what to do about the others.

Top Bottom