• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Jux

Finally finished
The challenge!

...and listened to the one hour "video" afterward :) Now I'm just missing one video (I think I heard there is one in the boat? Must be this one missing) and 50 something environment puzzles. I'm also wondering where I'm supposed to use the triangle like puzzle hint I found in a box near the theater...Tried to use it as a rule for the honeycomb in the theater with no luck... gonna have to looke harder I guess!

Anyway, apart from
the challenge, the randomness of which I did not like
, what a wonderful experience!

Oh my god, got all the
videos finally, including the challenge.

For the temple
video what the hell is this guy doing with this candle?

Overall I really liked the puzzles in the game, the learning and stuff were perfect. However, the lack of real direction you feel towards the end really hurts me wanting to go all in on solving the environment puzzles. I appreciate the message
if there is one. The game seems to try and provoke thought about what art is, and how it affects people, but it leaves it so open it's hard to make much of it.
Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe there are more audio tapes of
The people who set up the island that I could find.

Maybe by caring about that I've already lost the game.

wicko

How entertaining. Your assumption is indeed correct.
I had noticed that the music box behaves a little oddly. The path you use to start it can be followed a second time after starting the music and then it lights up. I was curious if some secret series of on/off solutions would lead to disabling the time limit.

Looks like it tries to be fancy and cascade disable the panels. This allows some time to re-enable by completing a previous puzzle. That would be my guess as to how you would reproduce what I did.

Haha, I hope that happens for me too. I'm gonna try the challenge again tonight legitimately before cheesing it.

I found it frustrating, mainly because of the (possible solution spoilers ahead)
unsolvable puzzles. Especially when you're spending the majority of the game realizing you are dumb and slow, and you're always missing some small detail.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
This is game is unexpectedly great for couch coop. Had my girlfriend and I find solutions AT THE SAME TIME on a puzzle I was stumped on for some time. Just by explaining to her the "rules" she was able to try it out controller in hand. Some of the things she did had me on the path of a solution I tried out on paper and we got our Eureka moment at the same time. Fuck you John Blow, thank you John Blow!

Btw, need pointers for tree tops
solved every panels I found and I'm stuck with the door to the laser being controlled by a panel that's too far for me to get to the door in time. There's another panel to open that door from the inside that I can see from the outside through a little hole in the cabin but it's not big enough for me to open it that way.

Just need a pointer really, don't get too precise with it. Already got enough lasers to go for the "regular" ending but that stuff grinds my gears.

Haemi

This is game is unexpectedly great for couch coop. Had my girlfriend and I find solutions AT THE SAME TIME on a puzzle I was stumped on for some time. Just by explaining to her the "rules" she was able to try it out controller in hand. Some of the things she did had me on the path of a solution I tried out on paper and we got our Eureka moment at the same time. Fuck you John Blow, thank you John Blow!

Btw, need pointers for tree tops
solved every panels I found and I'm stuck with the door to the laser being controlled by a panel that's too far for me to get to the door in time. There's another panel to open that door from the inside that I can see from the outside through a little hole in the cabin but it's not big enough for me to open it that way.

Just need a pointer really, don't get too precise with it. Already got enough lasers to go for the "regular" ending but that stuff grinds my gears.

Bridge puzzles have multiple solutions

ampere

Just got the "Endgame" achievement this morning. Overall had a blast with the game. Looks like I'm only at ~360 solved, and I know a few particular areas that I missed so I'll be going back and working on those a bit.

Got a huge feeling of satisfaction whenever I got stuck on a puzzle for a long time and came back to it later with fresh eyes and managed to solve it.

Wasn't sure if this would be worth the $40 at launch, but Blow did it again and made a game I really loved. Definitely onboard for whatever he does next.

Sorta spoiler regarding end location:
wish the endgame area had a door to unlock for easier access to the rest of the island, or even a boat spot. Slightly annoying to have to retrace steps, but not a huge deal I guess

wish the endgame area had a door to unlock for easier access to the rest of the island, or even a boat spot. Slightly annoying to have to retrace steps, but not a huge deal I guess

People who 100%ed the game will find this comment really amusing.

Overall I really liked the puzzles in the game, the learning and stuff were perfect. However, the lack of real direction you feel towards the end really hurts me wanting to go all in on solving the environment puzzles. I appreciate the message
if there is one. The game seems to try and provoke thought about what art is, and how it affects people, but it leaves it so open it's hard to make much of it.
Maybe I'm missing something.

You've already understood what the game is trying to tell you. Your mind just doesn't want to accept it.

I am absolutely stuck on something, and I can't find the answer:

I beat the game and am trying to 100% it as best I can by doing the puzzles in the environment. I solved the puzzle where the sun joins with the beginning gate, and it seems to have boxed me in. This is apparently an ending to the game, so how can I solve the sun/gate puzzle and not be stuck? Did I fuck myself in my current save?

Bowlie

Banned

I beat the game and am trying to 100% it as best I can by doing the puzzles in the environment. I solved the puzzle where the sun joins with the beginning gate, and it seems to have boxed me in. This is apparently an ending to the game, so how can I solve the sun/gate puzzle and not be stuck? Did I fuck myself in my current save?

I was done with the game after that, but I think you just have to
go through all that and load your save again.

edit: I was wrong, sorry!

Open the gate again like you did back at the start of the game.

Mindlog

Just got the "Endgame" achievement this morning. Overall had a blast with the game. Looks like I'm only at ~360 solved, and I know a few particular areas that I missed so I'll be going back and working on those a bit.

Got a huge feeling of satisfaction whenever I got stuck on a puzzle for a long time and came back to it later with fresh eyes and managed to solve it.

Wasn't sure if this would be worth the $40 at launch, but Blow did it again and made a game I really loved. Definitely onboard for whatever he does next.

I have some good news for you friend :]

Finished the game with ~
puzzles and overall I think I enjoyed the game. At best it was really amazeballs good but at some points it started to get a bit too frustrating for me. I found the
credits room
but I don't think I am going back for rest of the
collectibles and oblisk things and whatnot I am missing
. Took me 18 hours with some cheating in the jungle and couple of basic puzzles.

sn00zer

Feel like I am just about done with the game as I am on what is clearly the last section of the final area. Went through the entire game without going to walkthroughs or internet for help. Took my time with it, spent a few hours here and there, cutout and drew many diagrams, and just turned it off if I felt frustrated.

I can hands down say "The Witness" is one of the best games ever made.

_Isaac

I am in the bamboo forest area.
Am I the only that had to use a piano to get through this part? I guess I realized I'm sorta.... tone deaf? Believe it or not, I had a lot of trouble knowing when one sound was higher or lower than the other.

GhaleonEB

In the mountain, inching forward.

I'm to the row of panels that are all solved with the same line, drawn at the same time. What a brilliant twist on what would otherwise be dead simple. I'm finding the easiest way to keep going is to draw a combined picture of everything - and I still dead ended at panel tonight.

The mountain has been fascinating. Was that concept art for the game, or drawn specifically for the area, up on the walls? It felt like a kind of peek into both the making of the game, and the island, at once. It's funny, my daughter asked, early into her run with it, "Where does the water from the river come from? It doesn't make any sense!" I loved how it was shown.

Enjoying most of the puzzles in here, except for the rotating ones, and the colors flashing, both of which simply got hard to look at. They were also too much of what I call spitball puzzles: you are set to a task, and the creator is lobbing spitballs at you while you try to do it. Not my favorite approach. (Which is why I hated the bamboo forest so much, since that was the entire gimmick to the audio puzzles.

Still have over half the + puzzles to find, so I won't go deep into the endgame until I've found them, but I'll work my way there for now. I'm still marveling at how consistently challenging the game is, and how consistently innovative with its designs.

The interior of the mountain
remind anyone of Portal, a bit? Going behind the facade, seeing the mechanical panels and constructions behind the scenes.

Balphon

Enjoying most of the puzzles in here, except for the rotating ones, and the colors flashing, both of which simply got hard to look at. They were also too much of what I call spitball puzzles: you are set to a task, and the creator is lobbing spitballs at you while you try to do it. Not my favorite approach. (Which is why I hated the bamboo forest so much, since that was the entire gimmick to the audio puzzles.

There were definitely a few puzzles in the mountain that made me queasy. Couldn't recall it ever happening to me during a game before.

I am in the bamboo forest area.
Am I the only that had to use a piano to get through this part? I guess I realized I'm sorta.... tone deaf? Believe it or not, I had a lot of trouble knowing when one sound was higher or lower than the other.

Nah. I have a tin ear too and some of that stuff took me an inordinate amount of time to solve.

Mindlog

Still have over half the + puzzles to find, so I won't go deep into the endgame until I've found them, but I'll work my way there for now. I'm still marveling at how consistently challenging the game is, and how consistently innovative with its designs.
Everything that follows is end-game stuff related to the above post. Nothing beyond the above post.
The spinning speeding ones made me laugh. I really liked those puzzles. The flashing color puzzles also gave me a chuckle, but because I was in disbelief. They were probably tested for safety it's just hard not to imagine that thing causing a seaizure.

You can keep going in the mountain. No need to worry about being unable to complete a puzzle.

Blizzard

Banned

I'm to the row of panels that are all solved with the same line, drawn at the same time. What a brilliant twist on what would otherwise be dead simple. I'm finding the easiest way to keep going is to draw a combined picture of everything - and I still dead ended at panel tonight.

The mountain has been fascinating. Was that concept art for the game, or drawn specifically for the area, up on the walls? It felt like a kind of peek into both the making of the game, and the island, at once. It's funny, my daughter asked, early into her run with it, "Where does the water from the river come from? It doesn't make any sense!" I loved how it was shown.

The interior of the mountain
remind anyone of Portal, a bit? Going behind the facade, seeing the mechanical panels and constructions behind the scenes.
I agree with you on the puzzles that were annoying, and what the area reminded you of. There are some cool puzzles in there though.

So I've been stuck on the top of the mountain (with 7 lasers) for a while
and just can't solve the puzzle in the middle under the statues.
Is there some trick to it? Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

So I've been stuck on the top of the mountain (with 7 lasers) for a while
and just can't solve the puzzle in the middle under the statues.
Is there some trick to it? Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

The only trick is
finding the right place to stand
. Everything else works the same as you expect.

If you are on Steam, a patch simplified this puzzle by
only showing you the exit you need to reach from each starting point when you start drawing a line.

The only trick is
finding the right place to stand
. Everything else works the same as you expect.

If you are on Steam, a patch simplified this puzzle by
only showing you the exit you need to reach from each starting point when you start drawing a line.

Thanks! I figured as much but I just couldn't figure it out for the life of me. That patch would be a lifesaver but sadly I'm on PS4 :(

Thanks! I figured as much but I just couldn't figure it out for the life of me. That patch would be a lifesaver but sadly I'm on PS4 :(

Well, since you're intended to have this information now:

The corner starts and exits go together diagonally. The side start goes with the side exit.

takoyaki

about concept art:

I found that area incredibly fascinating as well.
At least some of the concept art that's up on the walls is real and seemed very familiar; I think I recognized some of them from way back when the game was first announced, here's a few of those images from 6 years ago for comparison (no spoilers you haven't seen yet if you're inside the mountain)

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Jonathan-Blow-s-The-Witness-Concept-Art-Released-23186.html
http://the-witness.net/news/2010/02/concept-art/

GhaleonEB

I agree with you on the puzzles that were annoying, and what the area reminded you of. There are some cool puzzles in there though.
Yeah, while I found a couple of them mildy annoying, they were also hilarious/interesting, so no biggie. I really loved
the 'control panel' puzzles that extend the light bridges. The one in the first area, and how you have to solve several different ways to be able to find the panels to open the door, are quite brilliant.

I really can't say enough about how The Witness continues to surprise this deep into the game. With so many puzzles, it would be easy to just make harder versions of what came before. But around every corner are new ideas, or puzzles placed into new contexts, or panels that do new things. It's a constant delight. I have some critiques of the game, but repetition is not among them. Blow had talked about not having any fat/filler in the game, and I think he achieved that.

about concept art:

I found that area incredibly fascinating as well.
At least some of the concept art that's up on the walls is real and seemed very familiar; I think I recognized some of them from way back when the game was first announced, here's a few of those images from 6 years ago for comparison (no spoilers you haven't seen yet if you're inside the mountain)

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Jonathan-Blow-s-The-Witness-Concept-Art-Released-23186.html
http://the-witness.net/news/2010/02/concept-art/
Wow, great recall. The artistic vision for the game remained remarkable consistent, even as the layout of the island evolved over the years.

Yeah, while I found a couple of them mildy annoying, they were also hilarious/interesting, so no biggie. I really loved
the 'control panel' puzzles that extend the light bridges. The one in the first area, and how you have to solve several different ways to be able to find the panels to open the door, are quite brilliant.

I never found the audio logs in the mountain until much later, but in retrospect they were surprisingly on-point hints for the big puzzles.

First area:
you can only see the key to getting past the seemingly impassible "wall" from the other side, not this side.
Second area:
unless you make the two sides "join together," you will not be able to advance.

And so on.

ampere

Been playing more in my quest to solve all the puzzles I left over

Various spoilers:
In the little town area I had completed the 3 lights room puzzle awhile ago, and I was thinking there might be something to the flowers on the outside since I didn't get any feedback when I completed the two inside. Well I just got the green and red flowers puzzles done and now my save file says I have 429 solved, +2. And I followed the flower petals over the the stacked tire thing and it has two puzzles filled in with a bunch of other ones not filled in. Looks like it's a bunch of other environment drawn puzzles I assume. Interesting.

Went and did the puzzles on the sunny/sandy area with the light reflections. Wasn't super fond of this area, felt a bit tedious to have to keep readjusting my position to find the right angle to see the marks on the reflections in the water. Saw the beam go in a different direction at the end and I followed it to that rotating plate that was blank. Was spinning it in circles and it hit the dark cloud and brightened it up. Wondering if there's a puzzle I can draw in the clouds now, gonna look for a spot to do it from.

woen

Still no patch on PS4. Firewatch needed a heavier performance update and it came out in 2-3 weeks.

I hope it will at least allow to have FOV and sensitivity sliders because it is a shame it wasn't available on day one considering the development time. 3 seconds to turn around, horrible blur, it looks like you're looking though a 100mm lens and I can even feel a little motion sickness.

Blow is quicker when he needs to shit on piracy making him lose sales.

GhaleonEB

Still no patch on PS4. Firewatch needed a heavier performance update and it came out in 2-3 weeks.

I hope it will at least allow to have FOV and sensitivity sliders because it is a shame it wasn't available on day one considering the development time. 3 seconds to turn around, horrible blur, it looks like you're looking though a 100mm lens and I can even feel a little motion sickness.

Blow is quicker when he needs to shit on piracy making him lose sales.
You are correct, making 2-3 tweets on the subject of piracy in total takes less time that developing and releasing a patch on consoles.

The game's performance on PS4 is fine, but the sliders/options mentioned will be nice when they arrive.

roytheone

giphy.gif

FUUUUUUUUUCK YEAAAAAH!

E2B6198239B07B25DAE2C764345B3980E42B3580

It was my first time reaching the final pillar. Hall of the mountain king was on its final notes, so I just tried a solution at random. I was shocked and jumped from my chair when it lit up!

Another fresh find off of reddit is apparently how you're supposed to solve the mountaintop puzzle:
(By standing along the directions that some of the statues are pointing at.)

I don't think anyone solved it this way that I can think of. Maybe no one at all.

Easy_G

Another fresh find off of reddit is apparently how you're supposed to solve the mountaintop puzzle:
(By standing along the directions that some of the statues are pointing at.)

I don't think anyone solved it this way that I can think of. Maybe no one at all.

That seems interesting, but it seems like it's really stretching in order to be on purpose. Especially considering how you have to stand in just the right spot, whereas those merely point you along a rough line. Maybe though!

Easy_G

Well the ending
was not great....not great.....

You should REALLY try a new game. Seeing the early game after completing so many hard puzzles is really a joy and helps provide a bit of closure.

Or at the very least keep going to get all lasers. There is a lot more to see.

Top Bottom