• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

looking for a simple yes/no answer. Do you have to activate every laser as part of solving "the challenge"

I've already "beat" the game but I have at least 4 lasers left to activate.

Thanks!

FF

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
looking for a simple yes/no answer. Do you have to activate every laser as part of solving "the challenge"

I've already "beat" the game but I have at least 4 lasers left to activate.

Thanks!

FF

---yes---

Bowlie

Banned
I just managed to solve the
RGB room
in the town. The
two puzzles
upstairs. Does this open anything, or is this a dead-end?

Did you go outside the building and look at it from different angles with different lights inside?

I solved it taking notes and the solution is thought out, but I don't understand the theory behind it.
How could I decipher the REAL colors of each symbol?

As to the colors, I'm colorblind so I'm as clueless as you are :D

I'm at
panels solved, and I don't know where to search for the ones I have left. Did you huys follow a guide, or can you suggest easy to miss panels?

All the boat panels, all the triangle puzzles, elevators... these are the ones people often miss.

hesido

I solved it taking notes and the solution is thought out, but I don't understand the theory behind it.
How could I decipher the REAL colors of each symbol?

By looking at what color object becomes what color under different lighting, you can make out those colors,
here's a mini reference sheet I made using Blender3D, just to crack the elevator in bunker and this one.

http://imgur.com/lfVCeWA

Disclaimer: In the sheet, since background is static color, the colors do not give the exact same vibe because of our brains ability to white adjust.

thaDeeg

Neo Member
slowly cihpping away at this game. love the hell out of it, but my brain can only take small slices. idiot to genius back to idiot every couple minutes (hate it, but love it, but hate it...then love it). just finally opened the mountain and felt one of the largest feelings of satisfaction i've had in gaming...... then I walked downstairs. shiiiit.

GlamFM

Banned
slowly cihpping away at this game. love the hell out of it, but my brain can only take small slices. idiot to genius back to idiot every couple minutes (hate it, but love it, but hate it...then love it). just finally opened the mountain and felt one of the largest feelings of satisfaction i've had in gaming...... then I walked downstairs. shiiiit.

Wait until you complete the challenge. You´ll be high-fiving random people in the streets.

Wait until you complete the challenge. You´ll be high-fiving random people in the streets.

After about 4 days trying it I did a victory lap when I completed that challenge room. I didn't even know it was a challenge room, I thought it was the end game level with the puzzle to end all puzzles.

NightOnyx

I always feel like the amazing visuals of this game don´t get enough attention.

Here´s a very interesting talk by Luis Antonio on how they got to this amazing look.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020552/The-Art-of-The

Thanks for the link. Super interesting presentation. It's really awesome to see how the island grew and change over the years. Even the most updated island in the video, which is what we saw from the PS4 announcement trailer, was a lot different.

Chris R

Finally at 500/+50

Time to focus in on the ones I know I'm missing and see if I can't find some more +s by following the various maps placed in front of me.

GhaleonEB

The extent to which some of the + puzzles are actually puzzles is starting to surprise me.

General comments on them:
The early ones I found were very simple: a recognizable start and stop and it was really just a matter of finding the starting circle and backpedaling. The next layer down were ones where you can see the partial circle, and have to orient to align the other half and the path to clear. Then there are the ones that just appear out of nowhere as groups of objects align from certain angles.

And lastly, those formed from moving objects, or which can only be cleared while you are moving on some object.

Specific one around the starting area:
Clearing a couple from the boat around the outside of the castle, and then tracing them all...the way...around the entire...castle....amazing.

And the town:
I just got the windmill ones. I am trying to clear my first obelisk (two left on the desert, woo!) and couldn't figure out the three ones that were rounded. Then the epipany hit and I run to the windmill....realizing how to do the 3/4 circle was wonderful.
One of the better puzzles in the game, panel or no.

There's an entire clutch now that I can start but can't figure out how to solve. Starting area:
A vertical puzzle in the first space outside the opening tunnel, formed of flowers. Start at the top, move down....and it can't finish. (This one has a panel in the background to fill in a gap in the flowers.) I've found like, 10 of this sort to chip away at. These are better than the panel based puzzles that require perspective manipulation, by a long shot. In part because they don't block main game progress.

A general question about them:
Does the side of the obelisk with the picture of the puzzle on them indicate the direction to go to find them? That seems to be the case in the desert area - the windmill solutions are facing the windmill, for example. I assume that's a hint, but wanted to make sure it's not just limited to this area.

Mindlog

Does the side of the obelisk with the picture of the puzzle on them indicate the direction to go to find them? That seems to be the case in the desert area - the windmill solutions are facing the windmill, for example. I assume that's a hint, but wanted to make sure it's not just limited to this area.
I think you are correct. I'm only missing a few (and I know where they are,) but I had just used it as a general guide. I believe it is actually that specific.

For maximum accuracy it would probably be best to say that
a bunch of pictures grouped together on consecutive sides will all be found in a common overall region towards that direction.

Feep

Banned
At this point, I'm actually a little disappointed. With the mythos this game and Jonathan Blow have built up, what an *amazing* opportunity for deeply buried puzzles and mysteries to be explored post-launch.

And of course, no one can say for certain that they aren't out there, but now, a month after release, none have been found, and the enthusiasm to keep searching is dying. That sort of continued discovery is so enthralling to me...feels like a waste. It's been 523 since 24 hours after release.

JesseZao

At this point, I'm actually a little disappointed. With the mythos this game and Jonathan Blow have built up, what an *amazing* opportunity for deeply buried puzzles and mysteries to be explored post-launch.

And of course, no one can say for certain that they aren't out there, but now, a month after release, none have been found, and the enthusiasm to keep searching is dying. That sort of continued discovery is so enthralling to me...feels like a waste. It's been 523 since 24 hours after release.

With how obvious the puzzles have to be, the only hidden ones would probably be of the "wait two hours for x" or a specific sequence of puzzle solving around the map. I really just don't think there's anything more. I don't care to hunt for nothing.

I mean, we probably all want there to be an ultimate secret. But we know how these things usually go, right? You get a week of people on reddit looking at spectrograms and decompiling files, and before you know it some random guy has posted the complete solution and gets his fifteen minutes of fame on Kotaku.

(And I know it doesn't have to be something that obscure. I played through Before the Echo twice; I remember how the Iris code was found.)

From a game designer perspective, what did you think of the
Moriarty lecture
? I think that if Blow took that to heart, then he would have wanted all the game's secrets to be discoverable by the average player. If there is an ultimate secret, maybe one day someone will stand in the correct place and notice it - something that anyone might have noticed if they had done the same thing.

GhaleonEB

Question about some optional puzzles in town.

I manged to solve the two audio puzzles in the basement, with the broken speaker, by entering the same sequence on each of the two panels (it was a total guess). That opened up the blue room above.

I solved one panel that turned everything from blue to green (I think). It seems pretty clear that this is going to be a sequence using the color filters to display the "correct" colors on the panels, but boy I sure can't see enough colors if they are there. Edit: I just figured out how to use it to toggle all three color lights.
Since I'm R/G colorblind, should I just look these up and spare myself? Or is there another way to solve them?

Gonna try diagramming this and see if I can do it. Curse my eyes.

ghibli99

YEESSSSS!!!!!!!

Finally beat
The Challenge
. Probably the greatest gaming moment I'll experience all this year. LOL

Took 3 sessions over 4 days, but everything fell into place tonight. What a great way to end the week. :)

I manged to solve the two audio puzzles in the basement, with the broken speaker, by entering the same sequence on each of the two panels (it was a total guess). That opened up the blue room above.

I solved one panel that turned everything from blue to green (I think). It seems pretty clear that this is going to be a sequence using the color filters to display the "correct" colors on the panels, but boy I sure can't see enough colors if they are there. Edit: I just figured out how to use it to toggle all three color lights.
Since I'm R/G colorblind, should I just look these up and spare myself? Or is there another way to solve them?

I'm R/B colorblind too and I solved it. Draw what the panel looks like under each coloured light and you can spot the solution.

(Each spoiler tag reveals a bit more)
For that room
your colorblindness shouldn't be as much of an issue.
No matter what color lighting is on, the shapes on the puzzles all look either black or white
If you'd like to know which color lights that panel can turn on
:
red, blue, and green
To help you tell when the room is red
:
When the right power cord is lit up, the lighting is red.

Najaf

Stupid question but I don't want to look at any guides or even look through this thread in depth. Without spoiling anything, can anyone tell me if all the puzzles are based around this same connect the dot function?

I'm an hour and a half into the game and just
turned on the light becon that shines up to the mountain
After that I've just been wondering around but it seems
all I come across are more connect the dot puzzles. I recognize they get more challenging and there is a lot of learn as you go, but I am curious if this is the crux of the puzzles in the game. Its been less than two hours and I'm already kind of done with that mechanic.

Easy_G

There's an entire clutch now that I can start but can't figure out how to solve. Starting area:
A vertical puzzle in the first space outside the opening tunnel, formed of flowers. Start at the top, move down....and it can't finish. (This one has a panel in the background to fill in a gap in the flowers.) I've found like, 10 of this sort to chip away at. These are better than the panel based puzzles that require perspective manipulation, by a long shot. In part because they don't block main game progress.

That one is really satisfying when you solve it because it teases you for so long. I knew it was there for ages and couldn't solve it. Finally while doing something I thought was unrelated I saw the solution. I won't give you any advice unless you want though.

Easy_G

Stupid question but I don't want to look at any guides or even look through this thread in depth. Without spoiling anything, can anyone tell me if all the puzzles are based around this same connect the dot function?

all I come across are more connect the dot puzzles. I recognize they get more challenging and there is a lot of learn as you go, but I am curious if this is the crux of the puzzles in the game. Its been less than two hours and I'm already kind of done with that mechanic.

Not at all. That's one of many more mechanics. They are all line puzzles though.

If you want a really vague hint for the first one:
there's an extra step in that area before you can even start the environmental puzzle
. One of the last ones I did.

GhaleonEB

While the way you enter the solution to each puzzle is to draw a line from one place to another, often the solution has nothing to do with drawing a line so much as understanding a key concept, or making an observation (or three). The panels are basically asking do understand? and you signal that you do with the correct solution.

Without giving anything away, there are a couple layers to the game you haven't gotten into yet. There's much more to it than just solving mazes, per se.

For instance, the puzzles I'm currently stuck on are panel mazes, but inputting the solution will be trivial once I understand what the area is asking me. I suspect once I grasp the key idea here, actually figuring out the line to draw will take but few moments. What I need to do is learn the concept this room is trying to teach. Drawing that line is totally secondary to figuring out what's going on.

Najaf

While the way you enter the solution to each puzzle is to draw a line from one place to another, often the solution has nothing to do with drawing a line so much as understanding a key concept, or making an observation (or three). The panels are basically asking do understand? and you signal that you do with the correct solution.

Without giving anything away, there are a couple layers to the game you haven't gotten into yet. There's much more to it than just solving mazes, per se.

For instance, the puzzles I'm currently stuck on are panel mazes, but inputting the solution will be trivial once I understand what the area is asking me. I suspect once I grasp the key idea here, actually figuring out the line to draw will take but few moments. What I need to do is learn the concept this room is trying to teach. Drawing that line is totally secondary to figuring out what's going on.

That makes sense. Thanks. I specifically did not track the game prior to release, so I was/am a bit surprised that the panels are the main source of input. I appreciate the reply and examples.

hesido

Aye, that's what I've done. No eureka yet, but it's brewing...

You may want to note down which ones changes from lit to unlit in different lighting conditions,
and create a grouping from there, definitely need paper, but it can be solved without colour vision.

GhaleonEB

You may want to note down which ones changes from lit to unlit in different lighting conditions,
and create a grouping from there, definitely need paper, but it can be solved without colour vision.

I have diagrammed the grid three ways, marking which are black and white in each of the three
lighting conditions. But I haven't found the pattern or rule set yet. I tried grouping the ones that stayed the same; setting each square to the thing they turned to only once; setting them to the color they were 2 or 3 times (vs. just once); used several combinations and alternate rules.

The only thing I'm semi-confident in are the ones that never change color. The upper right four never change, and three of the lower left never change, under any lights. So I'm using them as a constant and trying to figure out the pattern with the others.
No luck so far, but I'm going to sleep on it. That does the trick most of the time. I tend to wake up realizing what the solution is. :lol

(Working on the left panel, not the right.)

Jennipeg

I really want to play this but I get bad motion sickness and have held off for now, but I'm wondering if anyone else with these issues has tried remote play on Vita and whether that helped at all?

Feep

Banned
I mean, we probably all want there to be an ultimate secret. But we know how these things usually go, right? You get a week of people on reddit looking at spectrograms and decompiling files, and before you know it some random guy has posted the complete solution and gets his fifteen minutes of fame on Kotaku.

(And I know it doesn't have to be something that obscure. I played through Before the Echo twice; I remember how the Iris code was found.)

From a game designer perspective, what did you think of the
Moriarty lecture
? I think that if Blow took that to heart, then he would have wanted all the game's secrets to be discoverable by the average player. If there is an ultimate secret, maybe one day someone will stand in the correct place and notice it - something that anyone might have noticed if they had done the same thing.
I don't remember what specific part I should respond to, except that I love Easter Eggs and they're part of what make many games so unique. I don't think every player should be able to find them. Secrets are only secrets if few players can find them.

I suppose I didn't do a great job myself...there's still a reasonably significant secret hidden in There Came an Echo that no one has found...and maybe no one ever will. I have hopes for the PS4 release soon, though. ^^

mattp

I really want to play this but I get bad motion sickness and have held off for now, but I'm wondering if anyone else with these issues has tried remote play on Vita and whether that helped at all?
yup
remote play, and make sure you limit to 30fps in the remote play settings
worked for me

ghibli99

That makes sense. Thanks. I specifically did not track the game prior to release, so I was/am a bit surprised that the panels are the main source of input. I appreciate the reply and examples.
Have fun! Be careful what you may quickly assume about this game. Keep an open mind and really think about why a puzzle or sequence of puzzles may be designed a certain way. :)

BrokenBox

Just accomplished the Endgame. New game/story question:

I went to the Spoiler thread after the "ending" and saw some mention of what sounded like a ton more to the story/puzzles. I finished with 437+53, so I know I'm missing a good bit. Based on some of the first posts, I'm guessing I still have quite a bit of story to go? That's exciting if so. The only real story but I got out of the Audiologs was by the tree houses where the narrator said "What?" at the end.

Bowlie

Banned
Just accomplished the Endgame. New game/story question:

I went to the Spoiler thread after the "ending" and saw some mention of what sounded like a ton more to the story/puzzles. I finished with 437+53, so I know I'm missing a good bit. Based on some of the first posts, I'm guessing I still have quite a bit of story to go? That's exciting if so. The only real story but I got out of the Audiologs was by the tree houses where the narrator said "What?" at the end.

Yes, there's a hidden area around the island which includes the most part of the "story" bits and will require from you full understanding of every mechanic shown during the game.

BrokenBox

Yes, there's a hidden area around the island which includes the most part of the "story" bits and will require from you full understanding of every mechanic shown during the game.

I know I've seen where that would be located during my playthrough (base of the Mountain). I noticed (due to the Spoiler thread) that there's a triangle stone puzzle as soon as you start that I'm working on now.

Servbot24

Banned
Just got the platinum! No hints, though I did use the Rest mode tactic on the challenge, which I guess is cheating, but it seemed like it was a matter of waiting for the right run of puzzles which I'm not up for doing.

Is this different than the challenge area?

GhaleonEB

Oh mah gawd. I just solved the one I was stuck on from the prior page. Optional town puzzle.

In the room with three lights, red, green and blue. I drew a picture of each grid with the colors (x=black, o=white) mapped, and then spent a long time trying to find patterns on which blocks turn to which color. This turned into a lengthy dead end.

Then I noticed I could briefly glimpse different colors as the lights transitioned - there was about 0.5 seconds when two lights were on at a time, revealing a different color. Naturally I started taking videos and then studying those colors in freeze-frame. That turned into a dead end when I realized I got different colors with each combination of lights. So much for that.

BUT! That was what made me realize that each unique combination of changes was a unique color. So one that was all white became: ooo=A, while all black was xxx=B, and so on (xox=C, etc.) That produced seven unique color combinations, which I thought at first was impossible.
But it took less than 5 minutes of noodling to solve it.

This was a difficult puzzle but hot damn am glad I didn't look it up. Between last night and today, I spent nearly two hours staring at this thing,
toggling lights on and off
. Might be the best feeling I've had with the game so far.

Going out for a walk now. I might be skipping the entire time.

BTW Najaf, don't read the above, but it's a good example of what I was trying to describe last night. Once I knew the rules, drawing the line took <5 minutes. But figuring how why to draw that line was the trick. It could have been levers, or buttons, or whatever - the input was secondary to the actual puzzle, which had nothing to do with drawing lines. I just drew the line to signal that I understood. That's more what the game is about, the further you go.

Oh mah gawd. I just solved the one I was stuck on from the prior page. Optional town puzzle.

If you would like to see the solution to that puzzle using the RGB values you can check out my explanation here.

Wait, I thought the idea here was..

RGB binary values? White means that value is on, black means it is off. For example, the top left where you have a red, is R=1,G=0,B=1, for purple, so this is what I came up with. We have the same patterns so that explains how we were both able to solve it but I am curious where your colors are coming from? I couldn't make any sense out of them.

http://i.imgur.com/hU5SbyQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/O5cSbQn.png

Mindlog

In the room with three lights, red, green and blue. I drew a picture of each grid with the colors (x=black, o=white) mapped, and then spent a long time trying to find patterns on which blocks turn to which color. This turned into a lengthy dead end.

Then I noticed I could briefly glimpse different colors as the lights transitioned - there was about 0.5 seconds when two lights were on at a time, revealing a different color. Naturally I started taking videos and then studying those colors in freeze-frame. That turned into a dead end when I realized I got different colors with each combination of lights. So much for that.

BUT! That was what made me realize that each unique combination of changes was a unique color. So one that was all white became: ooo=A, while all black was xxx=B, and so on (xox=C, etc.) That produced seven unique color combinations, which I thought at first was impossible.
But it took less than 5 minutes of noodling to solve it.

This was a difficult puzzle but hot damn am glad I didn't look it up. Between last night and today, I spent nearly two hours staring at this thing,
toggling lights on and off
. Might be the best feeling I've had with the game so far.

Going out for a walk now. I might be skipping the entire time.

BTW Najaf, don't read the above, but it's a good example of what I was trying to describe last night. Once I knew the rules, drawing the line took <5 minutes. But figuring how why to draw that line was the trick. It could have been levers, or buttons, or whatever - the input was secondary to the actual puzzle, which had nothing to do with drawing lines. I just drew the line to signal that I understood. That's more what the game is about, the further you go.
You definitely went the long way around, but you didn't stop to ask for directions :D Happy to hear you got there. I also took the RGB path.
Spoilering everything just in case.
The following spoiler contains a spoiler link at the end. Just a heads up.

Late Town Puzzle
My final 'render.' http://i.imgur.com/kaBRwul.png
Added non transparent version http://i.imgur.com/4iFxaSo.png
It's basically the same thought process I used for all of those types of puzzles.
For my colors
I just used a 33%or 66% I forget fill on each. Stacking colors would naturally give me a new color.

GhaleonEB

Ha, exactly what I did. Spend a few pages in my notes on this puzzle.
*brofist*

You definitely went the long way around, but you didn't stop to ask for directions :D

This is how I navigate in real life, too. :lol

Just solved the other one in that room.
Seems they are just extra and don't do anything? Or did I miss it? I've done several 'challenge' mazes like these that didn't open anything up, which is fine (like the combined pressure plate maze in the keep), just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was so excited when it clicked that I would have missed a bus passing through the room.

Top Bottom