• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

D-e-f-

Banned
The learning curve on this is insane. I wonder how long i'll last. Watching those tutorial videos while moderately helpful, also kinda gave me the idea i'll never really get good at this game, i haven't given up yet however.

I just discovered pushing down on the d-pad brings up your "wonderful" heroes and you can assign one......what exactly am I doing here? Is this like choosing a buff of some sort?

Also, can I save mid mission? Or when I resume will it make me replay the entire sequence?

The hero you select as your leader levels up. You need to level up all types to gain all the benefits for better morphs.

read this:
http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/23/w101-blog-ep-21-be-tough-level-up/
(about the leveling mechanic)

and these for general stuff:
http://platinumgames.com/2013/09/16/w101-blog-ep-25-tips-tricks/

http://platinumgames.com/2013/09/24/w101-blog-ep-26-tips-tricks-part-2/

kunonabi

So what's the general consensus on the best control scheme for this game?

I use a mix myself. Using the touchscreen is faster for bigger morphs which means you don't need to waste a slot on on the quick charge. I use the right analog for sword, bomb, and gun and the touch screen for everything else. it's also lets me leave my fingers on the buttons instead of having to move them to right stick for everything.

Is there any other factor in getting a platinum trophies on the result screens? I keep getting all platinums on 002-A but I always end up with a gold trophy.

I use a mix myself. Using the touchscreen is faster for bigger morphs which means you don't need to waste a slot on on the quick charge. I use the right analog for sword, bomb, and gun and the touch screen for everything else. it's also lets me leave my fingers on the buttons instead of having to move them to right stick for everything.

Is there any other factor in getting a platinum trophies on the result screens? I keep getting all platinums on 002-A but I always end up with a gold trophy.

Any damage taken including outside of missions, not doing all the Secret Missions in the run, using the Full Automatic or Infinite Energy custom blocks, using special items, or restarting a Regah after failing it will all lower your rank.

Andrew.

Banned
I was disliking 7A pretty hard until I picked up
Chewgi and his army, even though pulling off his Naginata is a bit of a pain to nail down.

Im not too slick on recruiting baddies for my personal army so I went through those first few missions with only my ten Wonders.

I definitely liked the artistic design of the level in terms of how different it was in comparison to the Operations prior, even though this game really isnt meant to be a platformer. Consequently, the jumping between those colored platforms was a real hit or miss for me. Thank god you dont lose a life from falling to your death. Also the music for the level was fantastic. It reminded me of something out of the Brave Little Toaster.

Update*

Heres a picture I just uploaded of me busting open the living shit out of that
parasite inside Vorkkie poo.
Goodbye motherfucker!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I got to play this for a day before my WiiU controller crapped out on me.

First of all, the demo is absolutely terrible. The game is unlike anything else, and they explain nothing as far as how to play.

Given the hype here and my love of the developer, I bought it anyways. I'm still not entirely clear on how you're supposed to play.

What I've gathered so far is you need to first hit any enemy you want to kill with a "team attack" to get a circle around them. Only then can they be affected by a "super move" (red fist, etc). Is that correct?

I got through up to mission 008 I believe... a few sections past the demo area. It gets really hard really fast. Taking on those two big tanks was quite a pain.

Overall, I can see myself getting into the game once I fully comprehend how to play it.

One thing I HATE about it is they fucking STUN LOCK you when you get hit. That is the one of the worst crimes of game design.

What I've gathered so far is you need to first hit any enemy you want to kill with a "team attack" to get a circle around them. Only then can they be affected by a "super move" (red fist, etc). Is that correct?

Sort of. Although you can damage enemies using your unite morph attacks without team attacking first, the team attack is essential for combos. A single team attack locks on to the enemy, allowing you to auto-attack them with morph+X. You also get a combo score bonus by attacking an enemy with A after they've been targeted by the team attack. If you continue team attacking you can eventually stun the enemy (climb attack), which allows you to launch them with a Wonderful Rising and then combo the crap out of them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

No that's not correct. You can hit enemies with Morphs at any time.

There are unique circumstances for different enemies that make them invulnerable to some attacks, but it's better to think of morph attacks as "regular attacks" than "super moves".

Team attack allows you to lock onto enemies like Deactivision explained, but it's not required at all to use before hitting enemies with damaging morph attacks

Not quite. The team attack and the ring allows you to lock on to them so you can attack quickly from a distance. You can attack with your morphs like the sword and fist just by pressing A at any time regardless of team attack status.

The Team Attack lock on allows you to instantly move to that enemy when you make a morph. So a general example is a big enemy appears, do Team Attack a couple of times to get a lock on, and then when you hit A or do a Team Morph attack your characters will fly directly toward the enemy you're locked on to.

The other purpose of the Team Attack is if you do it enough times the enemy will be frozen in place allowing you to do bigger combos like launching with Wonderful Rising (which I doubt you've unlocked yet since you just started but you'll earn it later) allowing for air combos.

One thing I HATE about it is they fucking STUN LOCK you when you get hit. That is the one of the worst crimes of game design.

Makes great motivation to not to get hit and becomes extremely satisfying when you learn how to avoid all of those, right? But buy Unite Guts and Unite Spring if you haven't already.

sasimirobot

Finished this the other day, by the end I was just "tired" and wanted it to end. It really takes a lot of mental and physical energy to finish this game and by the last boss I was getting frustrated because I could do such little damage. Its not the fault of the game, I should go back and play in short bursts and take it all in again, sip it like a fine wine...

kunonabi

Any damage taken including outside of missions, not doing all the Secret Missions in the run, using the Full Automatic or Infinite Energy custom blocks, using special items, or restarting a Regah after failing it will all lower your rank.

these two are probably it since i'm skipping the secret missions and i thought non mission damage didn't matter.

This game is terrible at explaining anything. It's also really tough to tell what's going on during the fights. I think I'll have to research the game some more.

Andrew.

Banned
It isnt terrible at all. It's just brief and that's something that us as gamers are not used to because those types of quick teachings have long been abandoned in gaming. They give you enough rope to pull yourself up, but you've just gotta learn how to pull yourself up. It isnt something that's just gonna come to you within a half hour to even a couple hours. The game didnt do its finalizing *click* with me until about ten hours in. I finished the game in about 25.

My mind is still scrambled from the finale. The whole final operation was one big ball of epic boundaries and proportions that I have never experienced in a game before. I had a huge fucking grin on my face the entire time and actually yelled out loud in excitement a few times.

Divin right back in tonight for Hard mode and collectible cleanup!

kunonabi

well i got all the bottlecaps and maxed out the shirogane drive. I doubt i'll go for pure platinums on everything though. I'd like to start on 3D World and there some stages I really don't enjoy playing for ranks and stuff (006-B especially)

Took 155 hours on the nose.

Hypron

It isnt terrible at all.

Yeah. I was a bit confused during the first 20 minutes of the demo but after that I never really had any problems. I don't actually get these complaints saying the game doesn't explain things well.

Also, for people that have trouble telling what's happening during the fights, you're probably sitting too far away from your screen. The only time I am ever bothered by the camera is when I get hit in such a way that I can't exactly see where the ground is with respect to my main character, which makes ukemis hard to perform. The camera is pretty good I reckon.

I quite liked this game until operation 4 but OMG operations 5 and 6 are so amazing.

My GOTY for sure. I couldn't even remember all the different combinaisons of gameplay and pure WTF moments I just experienced. They were not lying: that 7 minutes release trailer didn't show much of the game after all.

It's really sad that it's not more accessible and did not get in the hands of more players. I mean, I had no idea what I was getting into after playing the demo and operation 1. And with a few better tutorials, the controls would not be a problem at all. Even graphically, the beginning of the game did not prepare me for what was to come.

I sincerely believe any reviewer that gave this games less than an 8 out of 10 had not played past a few couple of operations.

Regiruler

Speaking of which, how do you get the infinite energy custom block anyway? I think I am missing it for the bottle cap.
EDIT: Beating operation 101.
I've got a long way to go.

Andrew.

Banned
The Wonderful 101: Puni Edition

hC0iuMo.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finished Mario and Zelda, so I guess it is time to get back to this. I actually preordered it, but got so into Demons Souls at the time, that I never really played it. Its about time!

Morfeo

First impression after completing the first operation: This game is crazy hard! And so far, its been a bit frustrating actually. I think I had to use something like five continues in total, which I guess is ridiculously bad :( Also, I bought the dodge move, and while it is fast, it seems to me most enemies actually sees where you dodge, and attack you there instead, which is frustrating lol. At least the boss was cool and easy. Also, whats the benefit of clearing the arena-area near the end?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just keep going, morfeo, give the mechanics and feel of the game some time to sink in! Use analogue controls, and watch the Saur youtube introductions

Morfeo

Yeah, I will, but no way am I watching an introduction on youtube to get the hang of it :) I think my goal will be to do at least one operation each day now since Im already on christmas holiday (yay).

The main enemy I had troubles with, was the big tank with a shield, especially when they were two. How should I have dealt with it?

Morfeo

Have you bought Unite Guts yet?

Is that the thing that lets you repell attacks? If so, yeah, just bought it after Operation 1.

I only had money for the dodge move after the tutorial, so I bought only that. Anyways, I need to do the whole Operation in one, right? Cant save between missions and pick up in the middle of an operation?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is that the thing that lets you repell attacks? If so, yeah, just bought it after Operation 1.

I only had money for the dodge move after the tutorial, so I bought only that. Anyways, I need to do the whole Operation in one, right? Cant save between missions and pick up in the middle of an operation?

The game auto-saves at points in the middle of operations too, I think. You'll see some sort of notification when it does.

When you repell their canon attacks, they get stunned, then you can make air attacks and combos. You can Also spam X attack while you're dodging, to stun them eventually and go in for the kill

Morfeo

The game auto-saves at points in the middle of operations too, I think. You'll see some sort of notification when it does.

When you repell their canon attacks, they get stunned, then you can make air attacks and combos. You can Also spam X attack while you're dodging, to stun them eventually and go in for the kill

I ended up trying to get behind them with the dodge move, but that was pretty hard to do, especially when they were two. Anyways, eventually did it, and bought the repell move for next operation.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up trying to get behind them with the dodge move, but that was pretty hard to do, especially when they were two. Anyways, eventually did it, and bought the repell move for next operation.

Yes, you should't really attack them with your normal attacks until they're stunned imo

Morfeo

I guess this is what I get for going outside the normal "press A for Awesome" that prevails these days.

Guys how long did it take for you to not suck anymore and be awesome? I'm getting my shit pushed in by fucking snapping turtles. I wonder when the AHA moment is going to be for me.

Andrew.

Banned
Guys how long did it take for you to not suck anymore and be awesome? I'm getting my shit pushed in by fucking snapping turtles. I wonder when the AHA moment is going to be for me.

For everything to really *click* and me getting between golds and plats for every battle took about ten hours. This was coming off of winning bronzes and consolation prizes mostly beforehand. Around Operation 005 is when everything came together beautifully.

Total time to beat the game was 25 hours.

Got a Wii U and this game over the weekend.

Holy balls I am terrible at this game. Just finished the operation 003 stage and am getting consolation prizes by the skin of my teeth. I swear I've beaten at least two bosses without really knowing "how" I was supposed to be fighting them.

It's been kind of a frustrating experience trying to get a battle to just "click" but as soon as I stop playing I just want to immediately get back to it.

Is there a way to tell besides guessing and checking whether or not Unite Guts will eat the hit?

I have unite guts, hero counter, and ukemi all equipped and my brain goes haywire trying to decide which button and which direction to push before each attack. Am I over-complicating it?

I recall my mind set for unite guts was if the attack looks to be a slicing or piercing then dodge it, if it's impact focused then unite guts. There's really no avoiding the learning process of what type of defence works best on what attacks, it comes together in time so don't be put off by low ranks right now.

Andrew.

Banned
Got a Wii U and this game over the weekend.

Holy balls I am terrible at this game. Just finished the operation 003 stage and am getting consolation prizes by the skin of my teeth. I swear I've beaten at least two bosses without really knowing "how" I was supposed to be fighting them.

It's been kind of a frustrating experience trying to get a battle to just "click" but as soon as I stop playing I just want to immediately get back to it.

Is there a way to tell besides guessing and checking whether or not Unite Guts will eat the hit?

I have unite guts, hero counter, and ukemi all equipped and my brain goes haywire trying to decide which button and which direction to push before each attack. Am I over-complicating it?

Man you definitely chose some complicated custom blocks to go with early on while you're still learning the ropes. I can see how you'd be pretty confused.

Get yourself the energy converter.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Starting up my 101% run again now that school is out.

Never noticed how much stupid micromanage stuff isn't really communicated to the player just glancing through the guide and playing through some of the Kahgoo Regahs

Like in one of them I was trying to draw bomb but it absolutely would not register. Took me a while to notice that there was no bomb guy in my group. I guess this is supposed to happen for this portal? Or maybe the sample from my group it decided to take some extra secret characters instead of black? idk

Same thing with some of the guts things. You can only activate guts with a minimum of 10 units and some attacks require a minimum of 20 units to successfully block. So in some of the Kahgoo Regahs if you only have 20 people or 10 people and unknowingly one of you guys is knocked out you can't guts properly and will take a hit.

Then there's also the thing with Ammo for projectile morphs. They take a certain number of heroes to form and then a certain number to load and fire. So I've been in some situations where I've formed large versions of Immorta or Green's Rocket Launcher and been unable to fire because I didn't have the exact surplus of units available to activate its attack.(You can only fire with the rocket launcher when it's fully loaded. No partial shots)

Alot of this stuff doesn't really matter or come into play when you're playing with a full 100 man+ squad.(Although I have had some annoying instances where I'd get wonder future because my main Red guy was KO'd) but that only makes it stranger that it's in the game in the first place. I wish there was some kind of counter at least that could let you know how many people you have to work with in your squad so you can make better decisions.(It shows you how many total you have, but not how many you have presently available. Which is impossible to keep track of in the heat of battle between KO'd Units and ones engaged in Climb Attack)

Proven

Counterpoint, I got really good keeping track of every single person when I'm running around with 10. Operation 007-A does that to you. It's the one operation where you can zoom in for much of it and focus on every single little guy. And because of that it upped my later survival skills for whenever I lose a bunch of guys and need to go on the defensive with just a few.

Basically, in the sense that the first playthrough is the tutorial, most of 007-A is the game's method of teaching you everything you need to know about low man situations.

The leader and ammo issue bothers me because I only learned those early on from paying extra attention when something went wrong. Although maybe I learned the leader thing specifically from GAF, in both cases figuring it out made me think "that makes sense". But there's an issue in figuring it out in the first place. The game takes a lot of things to their logical conclusion, but gamers don't seem to expect that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Counterpoint, I got really good keeping track of every single person when I'm running around with 10. Operation 007-A does that to you. It's the one operation where you can zoom in for much of it and focus on every single little guy. And because of that it upped my later survival skills for whenever I lose a bunch of guys and need to go on the defensive with just a few.

Basically, in the sense that the first playthrough is the tutorial, most of 007-A is the game's method of teaching you everything you need to know about low man situations.

Ehhh. I guess...

I guess my counterpoint to that is that it isn't really fun and it doesn't seem like the game is focused around that kind of micromanagement. So it seems kind of weird that that kind of stuff is going on under the hood.

I just wish there was more player feedback on that kind of stuff because I don't really want to work that hard to keep track of it visually when I'm focusing on the core combat which is the draw of the experience.

The leader and ammo issue bothers me because I only learned those early on from paying extra attention when something went wrong. Although maybe I learned the leader thing specifically from GAF, in both cases figuring it out made me think "that makes sense". But there's an issue in figuring it out in the first place. The game takes a lot of things to their logical conclusion, but gamers don't seem to expect that.

My problem isn't that it doesn't make sense, because it absolutely does make sense.

My problem is that the developers didn't think to communicate that information to the players. It's almost like it's just how the game works and they didn't think of it to be that way.

and that's pretty much what my criticism of the 101 boils down to. It's easily my favorite game of the year and is remarkably well made for a first attempt at this kind of game, but unlike Bayonetta there's nothing about it's design that really wows me and makes me think "They really thought of everything". There's alot of things that I think they just overlooked, probably as a result of playing the game so much that things just seem obvious and intuitive to them, and I think the reviews and reception of the game sort of reflect that.

Like if there was a sequel I'd like that stuff to just be communicated through the U.I. Where it lists the number of units, just have a number over top of that number that keeps track of how many active units you have to play with. That way you can judge at a glance "oh I can't guts this".

When you're doing wonder liner it'd also be nice if a number appeared overhead showing you how many units are in the line you've drawn. Allowing players to more easily keep track of what tier morph they will be using without taking their eyes off of the action.(right now you just kind of have to eyeball the battery gauge.)

If I currently don't have a unit that can perform a morph, just signal to me that I can't draw that morph currently when I try. Or maybe have a miniature icon of that morph appear under the health bar with an X over it. Don't let me draw it and get something else and think I'm the one messing up.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Here's something bothersome, there's no good Let's Plays online.
A lot of them were blind ones that came out within the same week as the game, a good number of them didn't even bother to finish the game.

I know ChipCheezum said he's going to do one, but that could still be months off.

Been playing this a bunch lately. Enemies are getting more complex and harder to deal with every operation, I love it though. Almost every encounter it's: "Oh no fuck that guy".

I'm now at 6-b, so I'm pretty close to 6-c where everyone says shit gets wild. I wonder what it is. Bosses have been amazing though, every one is a pleasant surprise. Especially 5-c:
PUNCH OUT BOSS? PUNCH OUT BOSS!
, loved that shit even though I was bad at it.

Back to playing some more!

EDIT: When is it a right time to use
bombs
? It's the only power I don't use regularly unless I HAVE to use it. Seems like a waste of time with most enemies.

Top Bottom