• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheGamer: Astro Bot Isn't A Celebration, It's A Graveyard

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good. Just look at what happened to MS who tied themselves to Gears, Halo, Fable and Forza. I am sorry, i am glad sony left those old games behind. They had their run. It's time to move on and create new IPs. ND wouldve been a B tier developer if they had continued making Jak and Daxter games instead they established themselves as the premiere narrative driven studio over the course of just two generations. Lets hope they ditch TLOU as well as uncharted.

Insomniac tried making Resistance work. no one wanted to play it. i love R3, but im glad they are making spiderman and wolverine, and later x-men. Sunset, Fuse, Ratchet, Resistance are all fun titles but Inosmniac is at its best when given those big IPs. Let them cook.

GG's horizon games are also way better than KZ. Now i love KZ and they shouldve let Guerrila Cambridge make KZ games going forward but i would not want GG wasting their time on an old IP. Get horizon 3 out and move on.

If Sucker Punch was working on Sly Cooper, we wouldnt have gotten the amazing Ghost of Tsushima. Let devs make new stuff. This is a good thing.

i know everyone here loves Mario, Zelda, Luigi and Kirby but fcuk that, id rather have nintendo work on new stuff that appeals to people who aged out of those games. I am pushing 40. i cant be playing luigi's mansion 3. lets move the fuck on already.

nial

Damn, the Playstation Elite Task Squad (Sony PETS) gonna be here in FORCE! Saying anything bad, or even using negative words in the same sentence as the word Sony, is blasphemy to those folks. The article is correct, there's characters in the game from franchises that will never get another entry because Sony got greedy with their live-service agenda.
On the same day that a 94 Metacritic SP Sony game drops? Holy copium.

Hudo

I have a question of utmost importance (to me): Is there are Motorostorm reference or any form of acknowledgement of Motorstorm in AstroBot?

Last edited:
What is it with the constant need from journalists and influencers to make everything negative. Can we just enjoy something for once.
Never underestimate people’s ability to turn a positive into a negative.
Journalists and outlets just continue to try and bait people with headlines and articles for clicks. Ridiculous.
scrubs-dr.gif

solecon64

Neo Member
Honestly, while I'm all for disregarding the opinions of sites like this, especially from the bloggers writing for them, I do feel like Astrobot is a very cynical attempt from Sony to get some cheap nostalgia brownie points.

Sony really are just parading a long string of corpses in front of us, because we know they're not going to do anything with those characters.

And sure, that may be their business model (they don't want to rely on the same ip, fine - although that's certainly come to bite them in the ass - ) but then they shouldn't do the whole "heeey, remember this character??!? ok now clap." thing, because it's gross.

It's hard to get excited seeing a cameo of Kat, when I know Sony pissed away their soul and closed Studio Japan in favour of their new gaas vision.

Last edited:

nial

Honestly, while I'm all for disregarding the opinions of sites like this, especially from the bloggers writing for them, I do feel like Astrobot is a very cynical attempt from Sony to get some cheap nostalgia brownie points.
Team Asobi already said that they decided to include all these references because of how well they were received in Astro's Playroom. It wasn't forced by top Sony.
It's hard to get excited seeing a cameo of Kat, when I know Sony pissed away their soul and closed Studio Japan in favour of their new gaas vision.
You're getting it all wrong, they ""closed"" Japan Studio (only the internal development department, really) in favor of Team Asobi. GAAS shit has nothing to do here.

Last edited:

Nydius

Damn, the Playstation Elite Task Squad (Sony PETS) gonna be here in FORCE! Saying anything bad, or even using negative words in the same sentence as the word Sony, is blasphemy to those folks. The article is correct, there's characters in the game from franchises that will never get another entry because Sony got greedy with their live-service agenda.

So far, to date, the only casualty of their "live service" push has been a TLOU spin-off. Yet there's no doubt we haven't seen the last of the TLOU characters in single player games. Many of the characters celebrated in Astro Bot have either been retired because they've reached the end of their popular life, or they are from studios that cease to exist, or are now owned by other people.

Former staple franchises like InFamous, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, and Uncharted have run their natural course.

Like SlimySnake SlimySnake wrote above, just look at how being perpetually stuck with "Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable" has worked out for Microsoft. Not every franchise needs to stick around for two to three decades.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Would you guys lynch me if I said that I kind of agree?

Like the game itself im sure is fantastic going by reviews but also it's a bit hard to deny that a lot of the franchises they reference in this game are dead properties

A good chunk of the discussion around this game and why it got so popular is because it was a perfect modern day analog to those experimental fun AA platformers back then, and we're supporting it to get similar to those older fun games.

I think it's fair to bring up that a lot of this referencing is meaningless if they don't follow up Astrobot with more AA games inspired by/continuing those older titles.

nial

I think it's fair to bring up that a lot of this referencing is meaningless if they don't follow up Astrobot with more AA games inspired by/continuing those older titles.
To be quite fair, LEGO Horizon Adventures is releasing in November.

Embearded

IPs come and go and that's how it should be.
At some point some of these characters will return with new games or remakes

Western games journalism continues to be worthless trash.

News at 11.

I almost have to wonder how miserable of lives people like whoever wrote the article have, to put it out the day before the game's release. Also willing to bet the writer of that article barely bought or even played most of the games they are white knighting for; they were (and are) part of the problem.

I don’t really see an issue with the article. Astro Bot is basically PlayStation fanservice the platformer. The article isn’t a review of the game.

It's just more of these nihilistic, somber-themed opinion pieces that are pushed in part to shield reader pushback behind the excuse of "well it's just an opinion piece!".

These kind of articles don't do a lot to contribute positive discussion in the hobby; they don't apply any critical or creative thinking to stimulate possible solutions, or even reflect fondly on the games they want to come back until they can weaponize that as a criticism against a given company or platform holder (usually PlayStation).

Like I 100% guarantee you six months from now this writer won't write up anything related to Astro Bot, Jak & Daxter, Loco Roco, Rachet & Clank, Sly Cooper, etc. in any way, shape or form. Because there won't be any way to weaponize it against a certain platform or company, or use it as a critique against them. They'd have to actually just talk about the game out of love for the game, but a lot of these journalists don't even play games, or never really played (or had a connection) with these older classics either unless Nintendo published them.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I haven't played astrobot, not sure if I will but I am very saddened by Sony's willingness to throw great games aside. I have such amazing memories of so many Sony games. I wish they could make a business case for revisiting some of those games on limited budgets similar to atari recharged.

I would love to see G Police, Colony Wars, Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, Dark Chronicle, Mark of Kri SOCOM, Jet Moto, Sly Cooper etc return. Games that could do well if developed as a limited budget game with realistic sales figures. Unfortunately it feels like Sony and MS only see the value in games that sell million of copies. But there must be a model that works for small limited scale games, look at night dive studios, atari, or supergiant.

Da1337Vinci

Neo Member
At least new people might get interest in these IP and learn about their history gaming on their own later on.

More importantly graveyard is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Do none of you read. The guy is being fair, he is not shitting on the game. They gave it 5 stars. On top of it ,it is literally saying what neogaf was saying for last 2 years. It is saying that Sony needs to actually relish those games because seeing them in astrobot makes you feel that something was lost in the way to give way to games like Concord. Isn't that what all of you fuckers were saying. He just made the line the article title that's all and guess what it is working so who is the player here.

Bernardougf

He sound a lot like some reporters here from brazil.

"Astrobot is very good ... understand how this is bad for you"

But here is something like

"The gas prices are going down... understand how this is bad for you" lol

Radical_3d

Yeah. Because the GaaS strategy is so successful right now. I feel like this headline was written more than two days ago and nobody bothered to check after Concord wiped out hundreds of millions.

Rockman33

What is it with the constant need from journalists and influencers to make everything negative. Can we just enjoy something for once.
Not sure this is an ironic comment or not when the vast majority of people commenting in gaf are haters of one platform or the other.

Having said that I whole heartedly agree with you.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

They are stuck hating on Star Wars Outlaws and Concord, they need more fuel apparently
What a bunch of electrons.
lol I mean sure, but shit we have some right here on GaF who's entire lives seem to be hating things

We don't need 50 fucking pages of a thread about Concord.... So that dude at TheGamer is simply on his page 1 of 50 crying over this Astrobot game for weeks like a weirdo lol

ZehDon

... moving on from old series is a good thing. Sony's already dragging along its current crop - such as TLOU - far too long. These things need to end, developers need to move on, and new ideas and characters need to take their place. With that said, there's nothing wrong with paying homage to history - especially given PlayStation's history of platformers - once in a while. In the face of something so unabashedly joyful, being cynical doesn't mean your analytical, it just makes you look like an asshole.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
They are stuck hating on Star Wars Outlaws and Concord, they need more fuel apparently

lol I mean sure, but shit we have some right here on GaF who's entire lives seem to be hating things

We don't need 50 fucking pages of a thread about Concord.... So that dude at TheGamer is simply on his page 1 of 50 crying over this Astrobot game for weeks like a weirdo lol
Gaffers are gonna get their entartainment out of concord, in a way or another :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Trilobit

Dude is correct and I agree very much with the article. The dumping of classic platformers and platform adventurers that made PS2 so great was a shock to me. That we haven't for example had a Sly Cooper sequel yet is just baffling to me. So it does feel like a graveyard in many ways. Especially when you compare with Nintendo that has kept their Mario and Zelda IPs fresh and innovating for decades.

Gooble gooble gooble that Sony goop!

Came here just to say this.

Also...being nostalgic is one thing, but let's face it. Things evolve. Games that worked back in the 90's don't work today. Imagine Naughty Dog still stuck with Crash Bandicoot. Imagine Insomniac still making Spyro games non-stop. How many people bought the Medievil remake? Or Abe's remake? The only old one that i can remember being a huge hit was the Crash Bandicoot trilogy...but then they tried to make a 4th one and flopped.

These same publications would be throwing tantrums if Sony didn't allow their studios to be free to do the games they want to make and above everything make new IPs. Now they don't make the same games over and over and then complain because the IPs are dead? Make it make sense.

I also think it's in bad tone to grab a game that's supposed to be a celebration of Playstation's history through generations, a positive, fun, upbeat game such as this and taint it with such a tasteless title. Let's not overthink everything. There's literally no need for an article such as this one.

It's like in 2024 you can't have too much fun for some reason...there's always this need to trash everything, over analyse everything and it's honestly sad.

digdug2

One sentiment that I haven't really seen about Astro Bot... what if this is a beginning of a PlayStation Renaissance?

j8M1kHBAXa6KFNzGnWtdsVsLUro.jpg

"The Wreck it Ralph of platformers" is a more accurate title. Ironically also not as good as any of the references either.

Last edited:

Elfstar

Came here just to say this.

Also...being nostalgic is one thing, but let's face it. Things evolve. Games that worked back in the 90's don't work today. Imagine Naughty Dog still stuck with Crash Bandicoot. Imagine Insomniac still making Spyro games non-stop. How many people bought the Medievil remake? Or Abe's remake? The only old one that i can remember being a huge hit was the Crash Bandicoot trilogy...but then they tried to make a 4th one and flopped.

These same publications would be throwing tantrums if Sony didn't allow their studios to be free to do the games they want to make and above everything make new IPs. Now they don't make the same games over and over and then complain because the IPs are dead? Make it make sense.

I also think it's in bad tone to grab a game that's supposed to be a celebration of Playstation's history through generations, a positive, fun, upbeat game such as this and taint it with such a tasteless title. Let's not overthink everything. There's literally no need for an article such as this one.

It's like in 2024 you can't have too much fun for some reason...there's always this need to trash everything, over analyse everything and it's honestly sad.
Well, if Spyro's and Crash's ip holders managed them better then yes, those could've been successful, evergreen series even today. Medievil was a rough, unpolished PS1 1:1 remake with just a graphic make over and no QoL improvement whatsoever, all the new Abe stuff have been bad to mediocre, Crash 4 wasn't appealing.
It's always the ND - Santa Monica - Insomniac late PS3 era fanboys that come up with the "games must evolve gotta go forward gotta look at what makes money baybee!!!" nonsense, and it'll be your turn to cry when the cinematic single player blockbuster will be declared the next unprofitable, surpassed kind of game.

Last edited:

notseqi

you riff on games they are paid to hype, which then fail spectacularly drying up repeat hypeman business.
it's only fair that they tear into stuff you and the vast majority of gamers like and enjoy and cement their standing as 50s ad-men telling you buffoons what to buy

Top Bottom