• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

aparisi2274

Here are the first glimpses into Avatar-Land at DAK, coming in 2017...

BWWSkcpCYAAxt6T.jpg

10219262576_089759d578_o.png

Here are the first glimpses into Avatar-Land at DAK, coming in 2017...

926.gif

Universal will have Lorax, King Kong, JP Expansion, Kidzone revamp, something in the plot between Men in Black and Simpsons, and possibly a complete Toon Lagoon revamp (currently rumored) by then.

Looks cool but the wait will be ridiculous. When's Star Wars Land going to open? 2020?

926.gif

Universal will have Lorax, King Kong, JP Expansion, Kidzone revamp, something in the plot between Men in Black and Simpsons, and possibly a complete Toon Lagoon revamp (currently rumored) by then.

Looks cool but the wait will be ridiculous. When's Star Wars Land going to open? 2020?

Total fantasy.

The only thing coming at Universal between now and 2017 (aside from what has been announced) are cheap carnival games and food carts in Jurassic Park and a minor attraction like a family coaster (what that has to do with JP is anyone's guess). If your dreaming of a Jeep Safari, simulated flight over the dinosaurs, or anything that actually fits the theme and would be exciting be prepared to be disappoint.

On the plus side the Harry Potter expansion is top notch and blows away any of Disney's offerings.

Total fantasy.

The only thing coming at Universal between now and 2017 (aside from what has been announced) are cheap carnival games and food carts in Jurassic Park and a minor attraction like a family coaster (what that has to do with JP is anyone's guess). If your dreaming of a Jeep Safari, simulated flight over the dinosaurs, or anything that actually fits the theme and would be exciting be prepared to be disappoint.

On the plus side the Harry Potter expansion is top notch and blows away any of Disney's offerings.

I'll bet my left nut that we're going to get something significant from Universal every year for the foreseeable future. Comcast is spending like crazy and the expansion opportunities are there.

I'd reserve judgment on whatever they're going to stick in JP (probably the amber mine coaster). Universal Creative has been on a roll lately.

numble

Iron Man attraction coming to Disneyland Hong Kong in 2016:
http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/ar...perhero-iron-man-makes-debut-citys-disneyland

Marvel superhero Iron Man will take his fight for justice to the city's streets - recreated at Hong Kong Disneyland - in a first for any Walt Disney theme park across the world.

The Iron Man Experience would be up and running in late 2016, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts chairman Tom Staggs announced yesterday.

The Iron Man Experience marks the first time any of the world's six Disneylands, including the Shanghai destination, has built a themed area based on a Marvel character. Iron Man, also known as Tony Stark, will take visitors on adventures to battle alien invaders, including journeys on an Iron Man-themed ride against the city's backdrop.

"You can go for a flight with Iron Man and take part in one of his epic adventures," Staggs said. "The story will be set in and above the streets of Hong Kong."

Fans can also pose for photographs with their superhero or buy Iron Man merchandise.

The themed attraction will be built as an extension of Tomorrowland. Staggs said the park had been discussing further expansion with the government, including the possibility of building more hotels. "The expansion that it has just undergone, the Mystic Point, has allowed us to generate record attendance and strong growth in profitability," he said.

Total fantasy.

Concept art and design work have leaked multiple times over the years of an inverted coaster for the JP section(painted in the Ford Explorer scheme).
probably still not it but I wouldn't rule it out.

Total fantasy.

Actually... Comcast isn't fucking around on either coast. Universal Orlando Resort will be unrecognizable by the time Pandora is open.

"Steve Burke, President of NBC|Universal and former President of Disneyland Paris, spoke to investors on the 11th of the month, and gave an overview of the current state and future plans of the Universal Parks and Resorts business. During the conference call Burke confirmed that, for the foreseeable future, Orlando AND Hollywood would be receiving a new attraction EVERY year, and that NBC|Universal will continue to invest around $500 Million a YEAR into both resorts."

Highly connected insiders for both Universal and Disney have confirmed that E-ticket caliber attractions are lined up back-to-back for the next decade. In the pipeline at the moment for Orlando are: Lorax attraction for IoA, Jurassic Park expansion (currently looking to be themed to an amber mine train coaster) also at IoA, King Kong returning in new form to take over Disaster at Studios. These are the known E-ticket scale attractions. They don't count the general sprucing up that is going to be taking place as well on the scale of the Springfield makeover that happened this year in the Studios.

Universal smells blood in the water in Orlando as Disney stagnates. They are making the move to carve away days of peoples Mouse vacations and they will be able to do so with what is already in the pipeline. The real pain for Disney will come when Universal gets all of their planned hotels online and start not only stealing days away from Disney; but, their nights on property as well. Cheaper rates combined with much better perks (Uni's Express Pass) will make them very appealing.

The blitz of Orlando has begun... and unless Disney gets more into the pipeline, it will be rough waters ahead for the next decade. All of Disney's profit structure is based on a captive audience in Orlando. If occupancy rates plummet at their hotels, it will be bad news.

The battle in LA will be also heating up; but, fortunately, Team Disney Anaheim won't sit back and let Universal get off multiple haymakers like they are doing in Orlando. TDA already has items like the Tomorrowland/Star Wars makeover and Monstropolis in Cali Adventure in the works. Unlike Orlando, they put their capital into tangible and marketable attractions and not the cluster fuck that is the My Magic + Mouse Arrest bracelets.

overcast

Good post.

I really can't speak on Orlando. I just can't see any way Universal Hollywood will ever compare to Disneyland, really. It's just not even close to as interesting and I had passes to both the past year.

Good post.

I really can't speak on Orlando. I just can't see any way Universal Hollywood will ever compare to Disneyland, really. It's just not even close to as interesting and I had passes to both the past year.

Universal Hollywood is not going to be able to compete like they are in Orlando, just due to their lack of space. The Wizarding World expansion underway will be something that can begin the process of guaranteeing at least 1 day out of someone's vacation... which is how it started in Orlando. Just get them to come to your property and then you can start to add more time. Rumor has it that Hollywood's Potterland is going to feature something that Orlando doesn't... a trip inside of Hogwarts in the great hall for dinner. That's Universal's philosophy. Steal a day or two away from Disney. In Orlando, they've been so successful that they can now attack them further and go and pull them away for overnight stays. Hmmm... what if Hollywood's Potterville had themed rooms for overnight stays?

It will be much harder for Universal in Hollywood anyway because they have to compete with Disneyland Park, which is still without comparison in terms of attractions in the US. California Adventure isn't a slouch anymore either. Depending on my mood, it may be the 2nd best park in the US due to the travesty that is EPCOT's decline.

Having season passes to both coasts for the past two years has just furthered by belief in the stagnation in the swamps of Reedy Creek.

Highly connected insiders for both Universal and Disney have confirmed that E-ticket caliber attractions are lined up back-to-back for the next decade. In the pipeline at the moment for Orlando are: Lorax attraction for IoA, Jurassic Park expansion (currently looking to be themed to an amber mine train coaster) also at IoA, King Kong returning in new form to take over Disaster at Studios. These are the known E-ticket scale attractions. They don't count the general sprucing up that is going to be taking place as well on the scale of the Springfield makeover that happened this year in the Studios.

Interestingly enough, news just broke a few days ago that the proposed Kong attraction has been moved to IoA in between Toon Lagoon and the JP River Adventure show building. Rumor has it that the ride will be a hybrid indoor/outdoor EMV dark ride with an emphasis on practical sets and AAs. That still leaves Disaster in a bit of an awkward spot. The whole reason for the Kong takeover was that Disaster's ride track is in need of replacing anyway. Kill two birds with one stone. We'll see what happens.

On Uni Hollywood: I love the park. The studio tour is one of a kind and Transformers is my favorite attraction on either coast. I'm probably a bit biased toward the park since I used to stay at the Sheraton Universal hotel all the time with my dad on his business trips...But yeah, they won't compete. The geography just won't allow it. Sticking Hogwarts in there doesn't even seem doable without shattering immersion in every direction. Wizarding World Orlando was built as haven of isolation in a park where sightlines between lands are very open. USH seems way too small to allow for that kind of experience. Then again, it's Universal Creative.

Linkified

Total fantasy.

Ya wrong by the way currently on the docket for 2014 - 2017 is as follows:
2014 - Diagon Alley
2014 - Toon Lagoon nightime spectacular
2015 - Finishing off Refurb + family coaster "Amber mine" for Jurassic Park.
2015/2016 - Updates to Seuss Landing as well as new ride.
2016 - Kidzone Redo
2016/2017 - Skull Island at IOA.

And BTW remember Comcast has stated $500million per year every year. Also of note is new hotels and new offerings at Citywalk + a new Water Park in this time frame as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Thought about making a thread but ... eh.

I'm taking the girlfriend to Disneyland for the week of Halloween. Any recommended Halloween only events? Already planning on taking her to the parade. We basically have the whole week, so time's not an issue.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
what is americas fascination with wooden coasters?

They're louder and they sway more. They're not more dangerous, but they feel more dangerous. It can be more enthralling. Where as steel coasters are just DROP DROP DROP SPIN DROP DROP DROP. A lot of steel coasters feel the same.

Skunkers

You don't like Dinosaur? I loved that ride.

It's a fun ride, but theming-wise it's extremely disappointing. The word has always been that they got last minute budget cuts and rushed finishing Countdown To Extinction (now Dinosaur) while completing Animal Kingdom construction. As a result, a lot of the theming and scenery pieces that were already fabricated didn't wind up in the final ride, so they just turned the lights way down so you can't see shit on the ride. Compared to it's sister attraction Indiana Jones at Disneyland, the theming is utter garbage.

acm2000

They're louder and they sway more. They're not more dangerous, but they feel more dangerous. It can be more enthralling. Where as steel coasters are just DROP DROP DROP SPIN DROP DROP DROP. A lot of steel coasters feel the same.

i just mostly find them horribly uncomfortable and noisy in a bad way, last one i went on was funny tho, the only powered part was the lift at the start, after that the braking is done manually by a guy with a big lever in the middle of the train :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i just mostly find them horribly uncomfortable and noisy in a bad way

People like different things. I'd rather ride lightning racer, thunderhead or the phoenix over Nitro or El Toro, but the steel rides are always more popular. I just think they're usually sensory overload for me, but my first coaster was wooden, so it all depends.

RayStorm

People like different things. I'd rather ride lightning racer, thunderhead or the phoenix over Nitro or El Toro, but the steel rides are always more popular. I just think they're usually sensory overload for me, but my first coaster was wooden, so it all depends.

You are aware that El Toro is a wooden roller coaster as well?

Halloweekends at Cedar Point. Can't believe this summer is over already. Feels just like yesterday I was at the park in May with my buddy =/

GateKeeper is still awesome though.

aparisi2274

So, just got back home from my vacation down to Orland, and I am here to report that Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey is an AMAZING RIDE!! I mean it easily trumps any ride that Disney has in all 4 of its parks.

The ride is so good I went on it 6x. The first ride I walked the entire queue, and let me say, what a queue. If you ride it, make sure you do the entire queue first, then do what I did after that, and use the single rider line.

Seriously though, I am still in awe of how good that ride was.

So, just got back home from my vacation down to Orland, and I am here to report that Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey is an AMAZING RIDE!! I mean it easily trumps any ride that Disney has in all 4 of its parks.

The ride is so good I went on it 6x. The first ride I walked the entire queue, and let me say, what a queue. If you ride it, make sure you do the entire queue first, then do what I did after that, and use the single rider line.

Seriously though, I am still in awe of how good that ride was.

Good to hear! Forbidden Journey has probably the most dynamic and fun motion of any dark ride. And the rumor mill is now saying it's going to be upgraded yet again before Diagon Alley opens. Really hope that works out.

lush

It really is a fantastic ride, easily the best ride they have now. The queue is also ridiculously amazing. They just nailed everything with the WWOHP. The London/Diagon Alley section is going up quick.

Finally rode Transformers last week when I went down for HHN. I have to say I found it pretty underwhelming. I've seen the movies and I've never been much of a fan. The queue was boring, I had no clue as to what was happening during the ride. Spiderman stomps all over it. But I suppose it was a much needed new ride for Universal before WWOHP phase 2.

aparisi2274

It really is a fantastic ride, easily the best ride they have now. The queue is also ridiculously amazing. They just nailed everything with the WWOHP. The London/Diagon Alley section is going up quick.

Finally rode Transformers last week when I went down for HHN. I have to say I found it pretty underwhelming. I've seen the movies and I've never been much of a fan. The queue was boring, I had no clue as to what was happening during the ride. Spiderman stomps all over it. But I suppose it was a much needed new ride for Universal before WWOHP phase 2.

I enjoyed Transformers, but I think I had such high hopes for it, because I've been a fan since 84, that the overall ride let me down, a bit! I still give it like a B+

I guess I'm in the minority on this one but TF is my favorite ride in the resort. I think it beats Spider-man in terms of story, fluidity of motion, and scale. Front row on TF feels completely real to me. Spidey beats it in a few areas such as practical effects and spinning motions but I think TF edges it out overall.

FJ is my number 3. Best motion overall between the three but the presentation is pretty spotty at times. I don't think the dome/set transitions work well at all except for the last transition back into Hogwarts (this is fucking impressive). Though that's easily forgiven the first time a dementor is shoved in your face. Hmmmm.

OchreHand

Despite going to Disney for the past two years, I haven't been to Universal/IoA since 1999 :/ And I really want to go on Forbidden Journey.

I find it really hard to work Universal into a week's vacation since Disney can take up a whole week. That could change though once Universal's expansion gets completed.

aparisi2274

I guess I'm in the minority on this one but TF is my favorite ride in the resort. I think it beats Spider-man in terms of story, fluidity of motion, and scale. Front row on TF feels completely real to me. Spidey beats it in a few areas such as practical effects and spinning motions but I think TF edges it out overall.

FJ is my number 3. Best motion overall between the three but the presentation is pretty spotty at times. I don't think the dome/set transitions work well at all except for the last transition back into Hogwarts (this is fucking impressive). Though that's easily forgiven the first time a dementor is shoved in your face. Hmmmm.

I think my "Whoa" moment in TF was when
Optimus first rolls into the video and transforms and seems like he is 2 stories tall, and you have to look up just to see his face

Despite going to Disney for the past two years, I haven't been to Universal/IoA since 1999 :/ And I really want to go on Forbidden Journey.

I find it really hard to work Universal into a week's vacation since Disney can take up a whole week. That could change though once Universal's expansion gets completed.

Depending how thoroughly you want to experience it, you can hit the highlights of both Universal parks in a single day. It's pretty easy during the off season or if you stay one night in one of the on-site hotels to get express (unlimited fastpass basically). Uni also offers single rider lines for nearly everything which makes it a lot less stressful to get stuff done.

That said, I recommend at least two days for Uni. With Potter, Transformers, Springfield, etc..., there's so much to do and see. You won't recognize it. If you've been to Disney for the past few years, maybe try a trip to just Universal. I put both of their parks above all of Disney's parks except Magic Kingdom, which I'd say they're about even with. Universal's attractions outclass Disney's on most levels imo and on-site express is the best way to experience any theme park, period. Zero stress. You won't be disappointed.

I think my "Whoa" moment in TF was when
Optimus first rolls into the video and transforms and seems like he is 2 stories tall, and you have to look up just to see his face

Totally, and that scene probably wouldn't have been possible without the elevator concession. Art from adversity, I guess.

The slo-mo scene with Bonecrusher was also hype as hell to me. The whole sequence with the three IMAX screens back to back from the first Devastator scene to when you're chucked into the building is simply incredible.

Jag

You can easily do Uni in a day if you just want to hit the newer rides. Like he said, staying onsite gives you early access to zip through lines and you can walk to the park, which I love. If you are doing a week in Disney, there is no reason not to give a day to Universal.

aparisi2274

You can easily do Uni in a day if you just want to hit the newer rides. Like he said, staying onsite gives you early access to zip through lines and you can walk to the park, which I love. If you are doing a week in Disney, there is no reason not to give a day to Universal.

I usually just buy a one day/ two park ticket with Express Pass, so I can skip the lines on all the rides once. If I want to do a ride again, I will take the single rider line.

I can usually get through both parks in about 4-5hrs.

Oh, and on a side note, Butterbeer is damn tasty.

overcast

Thought about making a thread but ... eh.

I'm taking the girlfriend to Disneyland for the week of Halloween. Any recommended Halloween only events? Already planning on taking her to the parade. We basically have the whole week, so time's not an issue.
In general there isn't a WHOLE lot that is different. Definitely see the parade, I think there is a little Halloween villain thing near the Thunder mountain area. That was pretty cool to see last year. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is only in October, check that out too.

It's just nice to walk around and see the decorations, that's my favorite part. Sorry for the late reply.

Here are some of the photos I took from my trip last week... These are mostly from the Harry Potter portion of IOA..

10392705483_02ff62db3d_c.jpg

10392483755_9916aa91b9_c.jpg

10392692653_abb66f7427_c.jpg

Here is the entire set from the park... be warned, some of the photos are from inside the queue at Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey...

Parisi's photoset from Island's Of Adventure

This is so good. I can't stop of watching photos of WW every time someone does them. Disney need to get it's act together with its own properties, I know imagineers can, the problem is executives sadly. Though Avatar land look fantastic from the concepts.

LuuKyK

Great photos from the WWoHP. Thanks! The amount of details is jaw-dropping. An apparently the Diagon Alley will be opening around May/June 2014. Thats great, since I will probably go just after that. Last time I visited IoA even the Simpsons area wasn't finished, so I have lots of new things to see. Exciting! :D

We were selected for the Magic Band Beta Test.

DIDNEY WORL!
bFBcZt2l.jpg

Whoa, whats that?

We were selected for the Magic Band Beta Test.

DIDNEY WORL!
bFBcZt2l.jpg

Everyone has been selected for the Magic Band testing, as of the end of October every Disney hotel was testing.

I just spent a week down at Disney at the Poly.

It was heaven on Earth, even with all the construction.

overcast

I basically only dream of visiting, but what is the best Disney park aside from Anaheim (I frequently go there). What are key differences between the two in America?

Top Bottom