• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

The Pooh facade looks a lot better than that now with the updates over the last several years.

Really? I thought it looked great before, I visited New Fantasyland three months before it officially opened, so didn't get to see everything's sparkly new look.

Planning on a WDW trip later in 2014!

So is the Seven Dwarfs coaster still on pace to open spring 2014? Disney's glacial construction pace is becoming pretty laughable at this point. When I was there in October it still looked like they had a ways to go, and it's still a big ol pain in the ass having that huge area walled off with how crowded it is in New Fantasyland.

So is the Seven Dwarfs coaster still on pace to open spring 2014? Disney's glacial construction pace is becoming pretty laughable at this point. When I was there in October it still looked like they had a ways to go, and it's still a big ol pain in the ass having that huge area walled off with how crowded it is in New Fantasyland.

It looks like it still has a little ways to go with the theme/art, but they did run the coaster (empty of course) once when I was there a few days ago.

No. Pan, Small World, Phillarmagic and the new Princess thing still have the medieval tents as far as I know.

Pooh's somewhat removed from those with the changes to Fantasyland though.

Sounds good, I really like the medieval tents, but not everywhere, so its cool to have variation, where some parts look like New fantasyland in Disneyland, and the others like the original Fantasyland.

EDIT
The-Many-Adventures-of-Winnie-the-Pooh_Full_12435.jpg

Ohh, I like the new entrance (not many photos of it on the internet it seems) but I dont know about the castle wall behind it.

Just got back from my 3 week trip to Disneyland + WDW + Universal Orlando + Seaworld Orlando and I'm so beat. Was debating on Knotts to make it 10 parks but my brother wasn't feeling it. Still love Disneyland the best I have to say.

Just got back from my 3 week trip to Disneyland + WDW + Universal Orlando + Seaworld Orlando and I'm so beat. Was debating on Knotts to make it 10 parks but my brother wasn't feeling it. Still love Disneyland the best I have to say.

Damn, that sounds great. The SO and I were hitting about one trip every 6 months until I switched jobs. Only thing I miss about it is the ample PTO it had.

We'd like to do Land again soon with two WDW (opening day) veterans who have never been. That first walk down a familiar but utterly foreign Main Street USA is a doozy.

Sounds good, I really like the medieval tents, but not everywhere, so its cool to have variation, where some parts look like New fantasyland in Disneyland, and the others like the original Fantasyland.

EDIT
The-Many-Adventures-of-Winnie-the-Pooh_Full_12435.jpg

Ohh, I like the new entrance (not many photos of it on the internet it seems) but I dont know about the castle wall behind it.

Thanks for the pic! Looks great, love the themeing :D

I can't say as I've never been to Disneyland. Was DL your first Disney Park? I may always be a bit biased towards my first, which was Magic Kingdom. Although I know DL will always be their baby.

If you had to rank all 6 Disney Parks you visited, where would you rank each?

minx

I now declare the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit as my GOAT.
That thing is bloody awesome, and the hidden song selection mode felt like punching in a cheat code. So glad that my first time made go on a wiki walk of it.

If you plan on going to Orlando and are even thinking of Universal, it's a must-ride (yes, even compared to Hulk).

Really? That is the one roller coaster where when I got off it I declared that I will never ride it again. Your head will get jerked around soooo much. The best part is the climb straight up. Other than that really disappointing.

I can't say as I've never been to Disneyland. Was DL your first Disney Park? I may always be a bit biased towards my first, which was Magic Kingdom. Although I know DL will always be their baby.

Just want to butt in here and say Disneyland is a revelation compared to MK. Upkeep, attractions, definitive versions of cloned attractions, etc... You get pretty much everything you love from MK and a lot more. I'd even say that DL+DCA together (both are a short walk away from each other) give you almost all the hits of the entire WDW resort while being compact and easy to travel between. Disneyland Resort is my favorite resort by far, with Universal Orlando close behind. Dem attractions.

Really? That is the one roller coaster where when I got off it I declared that I will never ride it again. Your head will get jerked around soooo much. The best part is the climb straight up. Other than that really disappointing.

I've heard the trains have been redone throughout the year to be smoother. Can't confirm for myself though. I'll be going in January so maybe then.

zeemumu

I was born on the East coast so Magic Kingdom was the first park that I went to, but Disneyland is the one that I've been to the most (a little over 70 times, according to my pass). I went to the Orlando ones again a while back, and I really like the way that the Wild Animal Kingdom and Epcott are done, but I think that MGM/Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom feel a bit off. Magic Kingdom is probably because of the altered layout so it's not a big deal, but I don't know about MGM/Hollywood Studios I should be biased towards them but I'm not.

My park rankings would be:
1. Disneyland
2. Wild Animal Kingdom
3. California Adventure
4. Magic Kingdom
5. Epcott
6. MGM/Hollywood Studios

I can't rank the parks outside of the US because I've never been to them, but Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris seems really promising.

Just want to butt in here and say Disneyland is a revelation compared to MK. Upkeep, attractions, definitive versions of cloned attractions, etc... You get pretty much everything you love from MK and a lot more. I'd even say that DL+DCA together (both are a short walk away from each other) give you almost all the hits of the entire WDW resort while being compact and easy to travel between. Disneyland Resort is my favorite resort by far, with Universal Orlando close behind. Dem attractions.

Oh yes. I used to work for WDW for the little college program they did. We would correspond with our Disneyland "sister" ride throughout the year which was pretty cool. I've heard from more than a few people Disneyland does their versions better, as I alluded to in my Disneyland being their "baby" comment.

I'm sure I'd absolutely love DL as I'm a huge Magic Kingdom fan. Just, I don't know if I could ever like DL and CA collectively better than WDW. Mainly because of that feeling of Adventure you get, the 30+ resorts, larger Downtown Disney and the ambiance you get from four separate parks.

Oh, and I agree Universal Orlando is boss. I LOVE the Revenge of the Mummy ride. Great themeing, and a fun ride. Haven't done Wizarding World since it's opened though =/

I was born on the East coast so Magic Kingdom was the first park that I went to, but Disneyland is the one that I've been to the most (a little over 70 times, according to my pass). I went to the Orlando ones again a while back, and I really like the way that the Wild Animal Kingdom and Epcott are done, but I think that MGM/Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom feel a bit off. Magic Kingdom is probably because of the altered layout so it's not a big deal, but I don't know about MGM/Hollywood Studios I should be biased towards them but I'm not.

My park rankings would be:
1. Disneyland
2. Wild Animal Kingdom
3. California Adventure
4. Magic Kingdom
5. Epcott
6. MGM/Hollywood Studios

I can't rank the parks outside of the US because I've never been to them, but Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris seems really promising.

I appreciate the feedback! That's interesting even with MK being your first, as I mentioned I'm sure I'll love DL. I can't wait to attend a "World of Color" performance. Something I wish WDW had.

Hollywood Studios has the least impressive layout/ambiance of the other 3, but it's still really strong due to Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Fantasmic and Toy Story Mania.

If I had to rank my Parks I'd probably be like this.

1. Epcot
2. Magic Kingdom
3. Animal Kingdom
4. Hollywood Studios.

Not gonna group in the Universals or Sea World as it's been a couple years since I've been there, but I do miss the Back to the Future ride, and will be sad that Dueling Dragons has been rethemed. :(

zeemumu

Oh yes. I used to work for WDW for the little college program they did. We would correspond with our Disneyland "sister" ride throughout the year which was pretty cool. I've heard from more than a few people Disneyland does their versions better, as I alluded to in my Disneyland being their "baby" comment.

Hmm, that sounds pretty interesting. What was the program for? Engineering? I'm in college and doing a program for Disneyland sounds like it would be great, but I'm a computer science major so I don't know if that would necessarily fit.

I appreciate the feedback! That's interesting even with MK being your first, as I mentioned I'm sure I'll love DL. I can't wait to attend a "World of Color" performance. Something I wish WDW had.

Hollywood Studios has the least impressive layout/ambiance of the other 3, but it's still really strong due to Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Fantasmic and Toy Story Mania.

If I had to rank my Parks I'd probably be like this.

1. Epcot
2. Magic Kingdom
3. Animal Kingdom
4. Hollywood Studios.

Not gonna group in the Universals or Sea World as it's been a couple years since I've been there, but I do miss the Back to the Future ride, and will be sad that Dueling Dragons has been rethemed. :(

Everything that you listed except Rock n Roller Coaster is in California Adventure here. They have the California Screamin' rollercoaster though so it's fine. That's probably why I ranked it so low.

WDW has a lot of things I still love though like the Kilomanjaro Safaris and World Showcase--two things that are to likely never happen at Disneyland. But yeah, if you take all other headliners and stick them within the space that Epcot occupies, that's basically Disneyland + California Adventure in a nutshell. There's so much stuff in such a small space. WDW has a lot of good shows, they just aren't things worth repeating every visit. The Aladdin musical at Calfornia is probably the best live musical of any in the Disney parks in the States. World of Color is my favorite nighttime show and Disneyland's Fantasmic is superior although its standing room only.

It's a conversation I have often with other vacationers and cast members at WDW on how much I love the California resort. People see the numbers and the castle at WDW and assume its the place to go--and it certainly is. But if you're a fan of Disney parks or just Disney in general, you owe it to yourself to visit Disneyland at least once.

muteki

California Adventure was almost "West-Cot" at one point in the design process. Here's a bit of the concept art (seems like World Showcase and Future World merged on and around the World Showcase Lagoon):
If we would have got half the things they were planning for what would-be California Adventure in the mid-90's it would have been amazing. Eisner/Wells and the company's ambition in general back then was incredible, but problems in Europe and Disney's America caused plans to get scaled back/cancelled. A lot of cool stuff coming down the pipe ended up in Disney Seas, just a shame it is so hard to get to for most people.

Anyone that likes DL or WDW should make the trip to the other resort at least once. They both have their positives and negatives but just walking around analyzing the differences is amazing fun if you take in all the details.

LuuKyK

Not sure if new, but I just received an email from Universal Studios saying that they will have a live broadcast on the 23rd of January for the official unveil of Diagon Alley. It will be presented by one of the Weasley twins (forgot his name lol). Cool, hopefully it will include a set date to the opening too.

Not sure if new, but I just received an email from Universal Studios saying that they will have a live broadcast on the 23rd of January for the official unveil of Diagon Alley. It will be presented by one of the Weasley twins (forgot his name lol). Cool, hopefully it will include a set date to the opening too.

Interesting. Hope they show how it looks from the ground.

SegaShack

California Adventure was almost "West-Cot" at one point in the design process. Here's a bit of the concept art (seems like World Showcase and Future World merged on and around the World Showcase Lagoon):

There were many concepts planned and due to Disney Paris' failure and Michael Eisner being scared, we got the unimaginative park that had to be overhauled 6 years later. California Adventure is a lot better know, but still could have been something amazing.

LuuKyK

Speaking of Diagon Alley, Screamscape received the following item yesterday:

db_2013_1217_DiagonAlleyBox1.jpg

db_2013_1217_DiagonAlley_GringottsVaultKey1.jpg

And last week, Universal Orlando posted this youtube video discussing "some" of the things we can look forward to when London opens this summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUH22o0kM0

I am looking forward to the big reveal on the 23rd of January...

Holy shit, thats really awesome. Fanservice at its best. My hype is through the roof at the moment for the launch of DA.

I am glad I waited to go back to the US. I knew they would expand the Harry Potter area. Can't wait to visit it all when its complete.

aparisi2274

I am glad I waited to go back to the US. I knew they would expand the Harry Potter area. Can't wait to visit it all when its complete.

Just make sure to get a 1-Day, 2 Park ticket or else you wont be allowed to ride Hogwarts express from one park to the other...

Man, i really can't wait to see what Universal has cooking for the Gringotts coaster. I mean, if they time it right, Disney has been pushing that the Dwarf coaster is going to be quite high-tech when its all said and done, but i have a feeling this thing could just blow up right at them.

aparisi2274

Eager to see what kind of shops they'll have in Diagon Alley. Hope they keep the Knight Bus from the concept art too.

I am sure the Knight Bus will be a showpiece, like the Locomotive in Hogsmeade...

I would flip my shit if they were able to do the sliding building entrance like in Order of the Phoenix...

aparisi2274

Man, i really can't wait to see what Universal has cooking for the Gringotts coaster. I mean, if they time it right, Disney has been pushing that the Dwarf coaster is going to be quite high-tech when its all said and done, but i have a feeling this thing could just blow up right at them.

After riding Forbidden Journey inside Hogwarts, I have no doubt that whatever Universal cooks up for Gringotts is going to destroy the dwarves mine train ride at MK

So, this is probably gonna cause a stir..

Jurassic Park at IOA is likely gonna be rebranded to Jurassic World.
depends on what exactly they do imo.

Thanks for the pic! Looks great, love the themeing :D

1. Hollywood Studios
2. Magic Kingdom
3. DisneyLand

meh tier
.Animal Kingdom
.Epcot

LuuKyK

Just make sure to get a 1-Day, 2 Park ticket or else you wont be allowed to ride Hogwarts express from one park to the other...

I usually visit both IoA and Universal in the same day when I go anyway, since there is not much to do in Universal imo, so thats probably what I will do. But thanks for the reminder. :)

Btw, will the train part from both parks or only from IoA to Universal or vice-versa?

Will they be moving Ollivander's Wand Shop from Hogsmeade to Diagon Alley?

I don't think so. They will probably make a new one considering how small the stores are.

aparisi2274

Btw, will the train part from both parks or only from IoA to Universal or vice-versa?

Both ways...

You'll either get on at track 9 3/4 in Kings Cross Station and then take a short ride to Hogsmeade Station

OR

You can get on in Hogsmeade and ride it back to London.

The train ride while short, will have screens in the windows that will simulate your ride through the countryside on your way to Hogwarts... Not sure if they are going to do any other effects, like dementors chasing you or what not, but it will be interesting...

depends on what exactly they do imo.

Jurassic World... Coming to Islands of Adventure(?)

Will JURASSIC WORLD feature and open, operational park? New information on the future of the ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE theme park in Orlando, Florida says yes. Rumors of of an expansion at Jurassic Park in IOA have been circulating for a while now, with insiders such as HateToFly sharing as much information as possible. Recently a source close to JurassicWorld.org shared new, juicy information: the expansion is being directly influenced by the new film. While our source didn’t share specifics, we do have a decent idea of what is in store thanks to HateToFly via Orlando United forums. However, we have learned that the iconic JURASSIC PARK gates will likely be updated to reflect the new films title, JURASSIC WORLD.

The new expansions is said to feature two new rides along with numerous tweaks and upgrades throughout the park. The primary ride of the expansion is said be a smaller scale, family Wooden Coaster. This ride will not be disguised as something else (it was apparently originally themed as an Amber Mine adventure), but will visually match the ‘Jurassic’ style. According to HateToFly it will be “A small family oriented terrain hugging coaster creation with rock work, water features, and 2 AA's with custom themed timber liner trains”. The other new attraction is said to be a simple ‘Jurassic’ themed flat, and will likely be a carousel. Disneyhead has described it as a “Dino-themed carousel that would act as sort of a center piece for the expansion.” Alongside these new attractions it is expected that new stores/restaurants may appear, and many of the existing ones will see upgrades and changes. It’s not clear where they will be featured, but it has been said that at least one of the Triceratops from the “Triceratops Encounter” will be featured. To better understand the changes coming to IOA we drew up this simple picture.

i8GKKmm.png

As you can see, the solid lined JP expansion plot is where “Triceratops Encounter” originally sat. It is said the Wooden Coaster will likely wrap back, perhaps into the dotted expansion plot. Also pictured is the SKULL ISLAND/KONG expansion plot (originally home to a potential larger JP expansion), which intersects with the current JP plot. It is likely this will cause for the removal of the current JP entry-gate, and have it moved and upgraded to JW. Ultimately, the new expansion (aiming for 2014) will be a livelier and larger ‘Jurassic’ experience, and we are told some of the new additions have counterparts in the JURASSIC WORLD film!

It's important to note that the expansion plans are still ongoing, and ever changing and as such certain details may change by the time it finally comes to life.

aparisi2274

King Kong 360º 3D / Skull Island - Rumor - (11/24/13) A couple of interesting tweets came out over the weekend from HateToFly regarding possible future Islands of Adventure attractions. One claimed that the rumored Lorax dark ride plans pending for Seuss Landing were shelved, while the other claims that a May 2016 opening date was put on the planning calendar for the new Kong attraction planned to go in next to the Thunder Falls restaurant inside Jurassic Park.

From Screamscape...

Both ways...

You'll either get on at track 9 3/4 in Kings Cross Station and then take a short ride to Hogsmeade Station

OR

The train ride while short, will have screens in the windows that will simulate your ride through the countryside on your way to Hogwarts... Not sure if they are going to do any other effects, like dementors chasing you or what not, but it will be interesting...

They said they will be surprises on the way, so I suppose you will see the Ford Anglia and the Dementors scenes.

Really good trick using screens as windows, didnt know they where going to that till now and I was confused as how they were going to simulate the outside, as its not the same as the Disneyland railroad.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Everything coming out of Universal Orlando sounds amazing. I really need to go there sometime soon. I'm going to mark the fuck out at the Diagon Alley reveal. Also I want to go visit WDW less and less with all the stuff Universal is doing along with all the things I've read here. If I get a chance I'd still probably go but Universal has complete priority right now.

The two rides aren't comparable. Gringotts is using motion base pieces of track, IMAX 4K 3D screens, KUKAs to aid with effects, tilting pieces of track, etc... It's going to be the most advanced dark ride by far.

Everything coming out of Universal Orlando sounds amazing. I really need to go there sometime soon. I'm going to mark the fuck out at the Diagon Alley reveal. Also I want to go visit WDW less and less with all the stuff Universal is doing along with all the things I've read here. If I get a chance I'd still probably go but Universal has complete priority right now.

I hear you. I'm regretting not taking a day out of last WDW trip to hit up Universal. Still haven't seen Wizarding World.

We stay at a Disney Resort the whole time, so only way there would be a shuttle, taxi or bus. I hear the Bus routes are pretty simple though.

We stay at a Disney Resort the whole time, so only way there would be a shuttle, taxi or bus. I hear the Bus routes are pretty simple though.

The bus is cheap but it takes almost two hours to get to Universal from Disney because there is no direct route. Mears offers a round trip service direct from your resort for about $19 a person though. Depending on how many people you have, a taxi might be viable.

Goldrusher

parameter

Genting Highlands, Malaysia.

A bunch of hotels with a shitty amusement park in the middle.

That park however will soon be demolished, making way for the first "20th Century Fox World", which will open in 2016.

H9FCMQH.jpg

(click for high res)

Rides based on Ice Age, Titanic, Alien vs Predator, Rio, Night at the Museum, Planet of the Apes and more.

press release: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/17/ca-twentieth-century-fox-idUSnBw175545a+100+BSW20131217

official site: http://www.rwgenting.com/en/themepark/fox/index.htm

aparisi2274

they are going to demo that entire are and build an entirely new theme park over it, and have it ready by 2016?? That is ambitious....

EDIT: I am curious to see what they theme their rides to? What movies, or TV shows....

aparisi2274

The bus is cheap but it takes almost two hours to get to Universal from Disney because there is no direct route. Mears offers a round trip service direct from your resort for about $19 a person though. Depending on how many people you have, a taxi might be viable.

You mean there is no direct route because its a shuttle bus?

By car, it takes me about 25-30min to get to Universal from Disney... All you do is get on I-4 toward Orlando, and get off at exit 82.

Also, I have used this shuttle company in the past, and they are pretty good:

http://www.maingatetaxi.com/shuttles.htm

Linkified

Both ways...

OR

You betcha, they are going to make a killing literally off plain chocolate if JK approves one line at the end of DA>Hogsmede Station trip.

Speaking of effects in terms of olde fashioned ticketing it would be an E-ticket.

LuuKyK

You betcha, they are going to make a killing literally off plain chocolate if JK approves one line at the end of DA>Hogsmede Station trip.

Speaking of effects in terms of olde fashioned ticketing it would be an E-ticket.

I am not sure what else they are going to do effects-wise, but I really want them to have the old lady/trolley witch on the train. When I was a younger and read the book/watched the movie I always wanted to be like Ron and eat all those crazy candies on the train. :p Besides they already have the concept of the candies, since they sell those on the stores in Hogsmeade, so it would be easy to have them on the train. Just a minor detail I am sure, but would be nice imo.

muteki

they are going to demo that entire are and build an entirely new theme park over it, and have it ready by 2016?? That is ambitious....

Anyone can build something quickly if the want to and have the money. Disneyland was built in a year. Today it is usually fiscal reasons, and politics that drags things out.

Top Bottom