• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Holy shit! This needs to be the Gringotts coaster! It makes way to much sense, with the dragon and all.

I think it is. The teeter totter element has been mentioned numerous times in Gringotts rumors. This video isn't representative of the Gringotts experience (no inversions for one) but some of these elements should be present in the ride.

Some friends and I are thinking about going to Universal Orlando this December or January.

Two friends haven't ever been. Another friend and myself haven't been in a number of years. Not since the Harry Potter addition.

What's the crowd like around the holidays compared to summer?

caramac

I see The Smiler at Alton Towers continues to have teething problems ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-24794468

A new £18m rollercoaster at Alton Towers has closed after a wheel fell off and hit someone on the ride.

A spokeswoman said some "small guide wheels" came off The Smiler as it was being pulled up an incline.

One "hit a guest on the ride and caused some bruising". The rest of the wheels were caught by safety netting, she added.

The park said an investigation would be carried out into Saturday's incident to decide when the ride could re-open.

The injured person was looked after by park staff and did not need treatment by the ambulance service.

The 14-loop Smiler was shut for four days on 21 July after a piece fell off the track, and 48 people had to be rescued.

It closed again in August for five days due to a "technical issue".

The ride, which opened in May, includes a drop of 30m (98ft).

The spokeswoman said: "We have very stringent safety procedures on all of our rides including CCTV so the ride was stopped immediately by the rides team.

"All of our rides and attractions are expected to meet extremely high standards, technologically, mechanically and in terms of the end experience, and a full investigation is on going before we determine whether to re-open the ride.

"We are sorry for any disappointment the ride's temporary closure caused our visitors but the health and safety of all of our visitors is our absolute priority."

Mindlog

Some friends and I are thinking about going to Universal Orlando this December or January.

Two friends haven't ever been. Another friend and myself haven't been in a number of years. Not since the Harry Potter addition.

Around the major holidays (especially when kids are out) it can be as crowded as summer. However, the weather is much more comfortable. Normally it's sunny skies, fresh temperatures and no chance of rain.

Old news, but new to me. Busch Garden Tampa 2014 drop tower.
an2GYoM.png

Video.
Drop towers aren't normally my thing. They're kind of boring. Those new harnesses combined with the tilt look like fun.

I see The Smiler at Alton Towers continues to have teething problems ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-24794468

What the fuck have they been doing with this coaster? Fucking hell, what an absolute car crash. Two months late opening, constantly breaking down, bolts falling from the ride and now wheels falling off and hitting onlookers? Jesus. If I hadn't enjoyed it so much when I rode it, I'd call for the thing to be pulled down.

They're going to get some heavy legal action from the guests who got hit, and quite rightly so. What a fuckup.

Christmas-New Year's is the most crowded time IIRC. But before and after should be pretty light.

aparisi2274

The day after christmas to the day after new years is teh most crowded time of the year, more so than the crowds over the summer!

If you can hold off and go toward the end of January, it will be pretty dead, and you can enjoy both parks in one day.

Same applies to Disney.

However, make sure you do not go in Feb when kids have a mid-winter recess as a lot of them flock down to the parks for the week, which causes crowds again.

Around the major holidays (especially when kids are out) it can be as crowded as summer. However, the weather is much more comfortable. Normally it's sunny skies, fresh temperatures and no chance of rain.

Old news, but new to me. Busch Garden Tampa 2014 drop tower.
an2GYoM.png

Video.
Drop towers aren't normally my thing. They're kind of boring. Those new harnesses combined with the tilt look like fun.
I saw a video of a ride like that maybe 10 years ago or so, it looked like a ton of fun

Regiruler

I now declare the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit as my GOAT.
That thing is bloody awesome, and the hidden song selection mode felt like punching in a cheat code. So glad that my first time made go on a wiki walk of it.

If you plan on going to Orlando and are even thinking of Universal, it's a must-ride (yes, even compared to Hulk).

LuuKyK

That thing is bloody awesome, and the hidden song selection mode felt like punching in a cheat code. So glad that my first time made go on a wiki walk of it.

If you plan on going to Orlando and are even thinking of Universal, it's a must-ride (yes, even compared to Hulk).

Isnt this the coaster that breaks every two months?

Tawpgun

Boulder Dash from the small theme park, Lake Compounce in CT, is the best wooden, maybe best all around roller coaster.

250px-Boulder_Dash.jpg

Going through the woods is aweome and it goes so ridiculously fast and is so bumpy. It's my favorite of all time.

Regiruler

Isnt this the coaster that breaks every two months?

IDK, I haven't been to universal before; although, that seems like a semi-accurate description considering it was having brief delays for checkup occasionally.

It's an absolutely beautiful ride at night though. Eat your heart out R'n'R Coaster!

Chucker

Started the road trip this afternoon. We usually fly so this will be a new adventure to WDW. Will have Christmas pics etc soon.

FunBoy

I was at Alton Towers for fire works night this year. The queue for The Smiler was absolute murder! Though The Smiler is now one of my favorites. Nemesis is still rules for me.

Branduil

Eh, it wasn't my favorite, the restraints are a bit uncomfortable. I like The Mummy better.

zeemumu

Eh, it wasn't my favorite, the restraints are a bit uncomfortable. I like The Mummy better.

I like The Mummy in Orlando more than the Hollywood one, but I have to admit that the Hollywood one is more rollercoaster than Orlando's, which has a lot of scripted stop events in between roller coaster sections.

zeemumu

I think both Mummy rides are pretty weak actually

For indoor rollercoasters, they're fine. I wish Ghost Galaxy stayed year-round, though. That was a great indoor rollercoaster

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have annual passes to Southern California Disneyland, how often do you go?

aparisi2274

It is a good coaster for sure, but if I had to pick my overall favorite at Universal, I would go with the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride in IOA... That ride was amazing, and I could have went on it all day long, but I stopped after 7 consecutive rides.

I agrree with the contraints, especially if you are a larger fellow... but the ride is still fun. When I was down there in Oct, someone's cel phone went flying during tha turn you make by the NYC landscape and shattered into a million pieces... Thank god nobody was standing where it hit, or they would've got messed up.

I think both Mummy rides are pretty weak actually

I think the Mummy is a fantastic indoor coster, but they need to maintain the AA on the ride, because they are starting to get a bit beat up...

For indoor rollercoasters, they're fine. I wish Ghost Galaxy stayed year-round, though. That was a great indoor rollercoaster

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have annual passes to Southern California Disneyland, how often do you go?
I guess. I just wish it were more like Flight of Fear. I went once a week the last couple years I had a pass.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So after opening this year, how are you guys enjoying Verbolten in Busch Gardens WIlliamsburg after they replaced Big Bad Wolf?

Bummed about Jurassic Park IOA expansion getting downsized and downbudgeted due to Kong. After Skull Island is built JP will be locked in with no expansion room.

LuuKyK

Which ride has the best backstory/theme to you?

I really liked the Expedition Everest and the Tower of Terror themes, really well done and immersive.

Also from what I've seen most of the Harry Potter rides have amazing lines/themes, especially the Hogwarts castle one.

zeemumu

I miss Cedar Point :(

Best - Haunted Mansion, really no contest.

Worst - Winnie the Pooh, as it involved Mr. Toad selling off his deed to Owl :(

I agree with your best, but I don't know about Winnie the Pooh being the worst. They didn't take out Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to put in Winnie the Pooh here. Pooh has his own little corner of the park next to Splash Mountain and Toad's all the way in Fantasyland.

I really liked the Expedition Everest and the Tower of Terror themes, really well done and immersive.

Also from what I've seen most of the Harry Potter rides have amazing lines/themes, especially the Hogwarts castle one.

I like Expedition Everest because it doesn't disappoint on that leadup to the yeti. That thing is terrifying.

Jag

Taking a quick trip to Florida and staying three nights at Universal Orlando's Royal Pacific in January! So fucking hype!

I'll be at the Hard Rock Universal in January. I've stayed at the Royal Pacific and liked it. Nothing beats being able to wake up and walk to the park before it opens.

Which ride has the best backstory/theme to you?

I agree with your best, but I don't know about Winnie the Pooh being the worst. They didn't take out Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to put in Winnie the Pooh here. Pooh has his own little corner of the park next to Splash Mountain and Toad's all the way in Fantasyland.

Magic Kingdom Winnie the pooh is in fantasyland where Mr Todas original building was.

Its Disneyland the one that still has Mr Toads in Fantasyland, and Winnie the Pooh is in the place where the country bear jamboree was.
Magic Kingdoms building:
mrtoad_1956.jpg
mrtoad_wdwpooh.jpg

LuuKyK

I think, overall, the thematization on Islands of Adventures is top notch, from the actual decorations/lines to the music, everything is pretty much perfect imo. I really liked the park.

Except at WDW Mr. Toad's is gone, thus my point.
Then Mr. Toad being a grave at Haunted Mansion is pretty wild.

It's no hate on Winnie the Pooh, because I freaking love Winnie the Pooh! (Especially Tigger)

Just, a classic's a classic, ya know?

Magic Kingdom Winnie the pooh is in fantasyland where Mr Todas original building was.

Its Disneyland the one that still has Mr Toads in Fantasyland, and Winnie the Pooh is in the place where the country bear jamboree was.
Magic Kingdoms building:
mrtoad_1956.jpg
mrtoad_wdwpooh.jpg

Awesome photos! Amazing to see how different things looked and how people dressed way back then. lol

I'll be at the Hard Rock Universal in January. I've stayed at the Royal Pacific and liked it. Nothing beats being able to wake up and walk to the park before it opens.

The boat taxis are also amazing :3

Never been to the Hard Rock but I think I'll head over sometime and try The Kitchen. Heard great things.

Top Bottom