• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

I think theres a fine line between educational and fun. Im of the thought that, yeah, maybe EPCOT is better movie toon free. But at the same time, kids learning with nemo about the oceans and sea is like a no brainer if you think about it, so its really a tough choice.
Then is the Walt Disney quote that goes something like, "do it first and for most fun, when the kids are having fun, is when they are going to start learning" that I whole heartly agree, and that's how the original Disneyland was build (Tomorrowland was a great example of this).
Then is also that is not really toon free, you already have things like figment, a beloved toon character for Epcot, but yeah, maybe IMO it would be better with good original for the park toon characters, than movie toon ones for EPCOT.

There are some really boring rides right now in EPCOT also that seems way too much educational and not fun or interesting, so that is not a good way to build a better EPCOT either.

Not talking about EPCOT now, but something similar happens with critics that would hate that they turned the old building of Carrousel of Progress in Disneyland (with that horrible educational only attraction right now) into an Ironman ride. I dont think this guys have think throughly the advantages of doing that. Just think for a moment (this is, if the imagineers have the same idea to treat the ride as I have, of course, although I dont think it's too difficult), make something similar to the old Carroussel of Progress, with an educational and fun walktrough (so something semi realistic) of what the future can bring to your home, but instead of using General Electric like in the old times, you are using Stark Industries, so you have holograms of Robert Downey Jr, explaining funnily what the future can bring, people are having fun, they are learning (as I said this future objects are semi-real) and at the end you make the ironman shenanigans vs some villian that saves the building and you top it off with people leaving happy and possibly returning.

It's no different than Adventure thru inner space if you really think about it.
You are just changing the sponsor from a real company to a fictional company, and that also comes with huge advantages.

You could even call the ride: "Carroussel of Progress - Sponsored by Stark Industries"
It would be a ride that feels perfectly in the heart of old Tomorrowland, more than anything they have in that land right now.

So ... have something educational, if parents can't deal with it tell them to go to the Magic Kingdom. Epcot needs less young families though, the fools of TDO have destroyed Epcot over the years

Yeah I agree with this. The Kidcot activities at Epcot are fantastic. Learning about cultures, making cool crafts, participating in rituals like the Moroccan dances, good stuff.

Oh and Figment is awesome. Wish they'd bring back the Dreamfinder though.

Linkified

Then is also that is not really toon free, you already have things like figment, a beloved toon character for Epcot, but yeah, maybe IMO it would be better with good original for the park toon characters, than movie toon ones for EPCOT.

There are some really boring rides right now in EPCOT also that seems way too much educational and not fun or interesting, so that is not a good way to build a better EPCOT either.

Figment isn't a Toon it is an original character for the park, similar like the gang from Cranium Command, I'm talking about the idiots that thought Nemo would be a good idea to put in Epcot. If it was up to me The Seas with Nemo and Friends would be at DAK, Create a new Wonders of Life and build the Weather pavilion they have been wanting to do for years.

Best be educational to build a better Epcot than place Thrill rides in and yank the charm out of Epcot - give me World of Motion, Horizons, Cranium Command, Body Wars and Food Rocks over Test Track, Mission Space,Festival Space and Soarin.

Figment isn't a Toon it is an original character for the park, similar like the gang from Cranium Command, I'm talking about the idiots that thought Nemo would be a good idea to put in Epcot. If it was up to me The Seas with Nemo and Friends would be at DAK, Create a new Wonders of Life and build the Weather pavilion they have been wanting to do for years.

Best be educational to build a better Epcot than place Thrill rides in and yank the charm out of Epcot - give me World of Motion, Horizons, Cranium Command, Body Wars and Food Rocks over Test Track, Mission Space,Festival Space and Soarin.

I think you havent read my whole comment. I say that Figment is a "toon" character, but an original one only done for EPCOT. It's till done in a toon manner nontheless.
And I have a similar opinion as you, but as I said, make it fun and the kids will learn, EPCOT is not a museum (and I like museums), is an interactive theme park were people are entertained and learn at the same time. Its funny because in your no and yes lists I would say some of them are not really doing what you say. And if a thrill ride can also educate I dont understand what you are trying to come from.

Linkified

I think you havent read my whole comment. I say that Figment is a "toon" character, but an original one only done for EPCOT. It's till done in a toon manner nontheless.
And I have a similar opinion as you, but as I said, make it fun and the kids will learn, EPCOT is not a museum (and I like museums), is an interactive theme park were people are entertained and learn at the same time. Its funny because in your no and yes lists I would say some of them are not really doing what you say. And if a thrill ride can also educate I dont understand what you are trying to come from.

When I say Toon I'm specifically going towards the Movie Toons that have no place in Epcot. Early 1990s Epcot was great a low presence of Toons, great edutainment attractions. What? I agree Epcot wasn't and shouldn't be a museum - but neither were taking great rides and shows and replacing them with mediocre attractions. Funnily enough the fall of Epcot was around the same time of the birth of Strategic Planning division started to destroy the Parks. Plus their are loads of expansion place in Future World for instance.

Mission Space doesn't educate neither does Test Track the last thrill ride in Epcot to educate was that of Body Wars and those simulators are packed up and ready to be shipped to Hong Kong.

thefro

I've wanted to see them add at least a couple new attractions to World Showcase for a long time. A ride or two and maybe another show that's not a film would be nice. I believe the original plans had 4 rides in that area of the park and they cancelled all of them except Mexico.

Obviously Future World has some issues too.

EPCOT Future World is basically dead in terms of it's original message anyway. The only reason that Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land and hell even Ellen's Energy Adventure still exist is purely cost savings. SSE is half functioning and was planned to be gutted and turned into an indoor coaster experience like Space Mountain or RNR in the '00s. Living with the Land gives people who walk into the Land Pavilion and see Soarin' with a 120 minute wait something to do outside of complaining to CMs. Ellen? Surprised they've deemed it's daily throughput worth the maintenance, but having two empty buildings side by side in one of the busiest themeparks in the world would be rather embarrassing.

I'm personally okay with whatever changes need to be made to the park to compete with Universal if it means reopening empty buildings and new things to do. I'd like to ride Horizons, the original Imagination or Body Wars again as much as the next guy, but we're living in different times.

When I say Toon I'm specifically going towards the Movie Toons that have no place in Epcot. Early 1990s Epcot was great a low presence of Toons, great edutainment attractions. What? I agree Epcot wasn't and shouldn't be a museum - but neither were taking great rides and shows and replacing them with mediocre attractions. Funnily enough the fall of Epcot was around the same time of the birth of Strategic Planning division started to destroy the Parks. Plus their are loads of expansion place in Future World for instance.

Mission Space doesn't educate neither does Test Track the last thrill ride in Epcot to educate was that of Body Wars and those simulators are packed up and ready to be shipped to Hong Kong.

The problem isn't that they are thrill rides, the problem is that even build with the idea of educating, they were done wrong. Mission Space is not as bad, although it needs to have more about the history of the nasa and the science of discovering space.
Test Track is the bigger problem, I understand what they are going for (how they test vehicles in the car industry), but it has been done halfassed since its inception, and is even worse now with the tronesque design.

When im talking about boring education rides im talkin of things like ellen, not body wars, horizons or the original Journey Into Imagination. Those were educational rides done right, and that what I think EPCOT needs to go for, done as walktroughs or thrill rides.

About the toon thing again, im pretty sure we are talking about exactly the same thing, thats why I said movie toons and original toons in my first post, maybe it would have been better if I call them charaters from the start lol

For what I'd give for them to expand World Showcase at EPCOT

worldshowcase_sites.gif

Numbered areas show proposed expansion lots

aparisi2274

EPCOT Future World is basically dead in terms of it's original message anyway. The only reason that Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land and hell even Ellen's Energy Adventure still exist is purely cost savings. SSE is half functioning and was planned to be gutted and turned into an indoor coaster experience like Space Mountain or RNR in the '00s. Living with the Land gives people who walk into the Land Pavilion and see Soarin' with a 120 minute wait something to do outside of complaining to CMs. Ellen? Surprised they've deemed it's daily throughput worth the maintenance, but having two empty buildings side by side in one of the busiest themeparks in the world would be rather embarrassing.

I'm personally okay with whatever changes need to be made to the park to compete with Universal if it means reopening empty buildings and new things to do. I'd like to ride Horizons, the original Imagination or Body Wars again as much as the next guy, but we're living in different times.

Spaceship Earth... its a travesty what they did to that ride. Remember at the end, when your coming back to earth and they had all this future tech about video calling and putting your kids to sleep and what not (sure its present tech now) and then the ride went down for a 15mos rehab and when it opened, that was all gone... Now the last 10min of ride is empty, just some string lights and to distract us from that, they make us answer some questions on a screen in our car, which helps to distract us from the nothingness of the end..

Sucks what they did to that ride. Now I use it when I want to take a quick 15min nap.

Xun

For what I'd give for them to expand World Showcase at EPCOT

worldshowcase_sites.gif

Numbered areas show proposed expansion lots
I forget how much land they have to expand.

What a waste.

Spaceship Earth... its a travesty what they did to that ride. Remember at the end, when your coming back to earth and they had all this future tech about video calling and putting your kids to sleep and what not (sure its present tech now) and then the ride went down for a 15mos rehab and when it opened, that was all gone... Now the last 10min of ride is empty, just some string lights and to distract us from that, they make us answer some questions on a screen in our car, which helps to distract us from the nothingness of the end..

Sucks what they did to that ride. Now I use it when I want to take a quick 15min nap.
Pretty much.

The old ending was fantastic, especially with Jeremy Irons narrating for the ride. It was wondrous and inspiring.

SmithnCo

Yeah. The soundtrack on the pre-current version was amazing too. It was really inspirational. Now the earth reveal lacks some of the impact that the old music had and after that it's just lights and mirrors.

Man, the night shows at Disneyland are super impressive. World of Color and the new ride-inspired fireworks shows are incredible. Fan-service-y as hell, yeah, but really cool.

Say what you will about Universal being more innovative, but Disney still owns in this regard.

I don't know how old this video is but it shows a model EPCOT with Mt Fuji in it.

@1:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kjEuamApA58

You can also see the Matterhorn between Germany and Italy in the video.

I've read that the plans for Mt Fuji fell through because Kodak--who sponsored the Imagination Pavilion--was against the attraction that was to be sponsored by Fujifilm. Supposedly Fujifilm even offered to take over Imagination.

What changes are they making to the exterior of Alice in Wonderland's ride in Disneyland?

As a temporary fix, a few years ago Disney installed hand rails on the outside upper level of Alice either as a recommendation by OSHA or because they were fined. This refurb is meant to have a more permanent solution. I'm not exactly sure what that entails but I would imagine Disney didn't like the ugly hand rails and they intend to cover it up or have an exterior that complies with OSHAs standards to prevent accidental falls from the upper level that could occur from simple maintenance or an emergency evacuation. The extensive Matterhorn refurb most likely prevented the Alice refurb from happening sooner.

aparisi2274

The latest buzz from Screamscape sources is that despite a desire to open the new Seven Dwarfs coaster in February, the project is a bit behind schedule and is now looking at an opening date sometime between late March to early April if all goes well.

How can this ride be behind schedule?? Late March to early April if all goes well?? What happens if all doesnt go well? Do we push to June?

Come on Disney!!!

aparisi2274

Epcot definitely needs a few more E-ticket rides, if only to disperse the lines from Soarin' and Test Track.

I wouldnt mind if they expanded World Showcase... the current crop of countries is stale and I am sure EPcot would get a boost in attendance if there were some new places for people to visit.

gsrjedi

My first thought is they should definitely expand World Showcase since that's the part I really liked about Epcot and I don't care that much about Future World, but I guess that helps to illustrate the fact that they do need to do something with FW.

tumblr_m1nq9l3oCb1r1pz1eo1_500.jpg

Fuji Coaster would make things considerably better.

Holy shit.

I don't know how old this video is but it shows a model EPCOT with Mt Fuji in it.

@1:13

I've read that the plans for Mt Fuji fell through because Kodak--who sponsored the Imagination Pavilion--was against the attraction that was to be sponsored by Fujifilm. Supposedly Fujifilm even offered to take over Imagination.

And now Kodak is dead lol They would have done better if they heard the Fujifilm guys, thats for sure.

What are they waiting for? =/

A better, more imaginative management that has more balls. And less shitty investors.

Yeah, no doubt. I've walked around World Showcase HUNDREDS of times, everything still flows, but the extra space is noticeable. It's not like filling all those spots would leave it feeling cramped, at least I don't think so.

It's amazing all the old proposed stuff for EPCOT, especially World Showcase

worldshowcase_coming1982disney.gif

worldshowcase_venezuela.jpg

Concept art for a Venezuelan pavilion.

worldshowcase_germany1976wdp.jpg

A German Boat Ride

worldshowcase_helicopter2008ab.jpg

So much empty space to expand.

I've never seen that image before, do you know where it's from?
Just early engineering World Showcase concept art.

What he said. Here's the full story:

When planning the Japan pavilion in Epcot’s World Showcase, Imagineers realized that the park could do with a few more thrill rides. They had planned for the alps to be seen behind a Switzerland pavilion, housing a version of Disneyland’s Matterhorn ride. On the opposite side of the lake, keeping the look of the showcase evened-out, would stand Mount Fuji. Looming over Japan, behind the imposing palace gates, a thrilling coaster would invite guests on a high speed journey in and around the mountain.

The whole attraction even had a sponsor lined up: Fuji Film offered to pay for everything. This caused quite a stir, however, with Kodak, who was sponsoring the nearby Imagination pavilion. Kodak claimed a competitor’s presence so close would be a conflict of interest (Kodak also banned the color green, Fuji’s color, from its pavilion. This caused Imagineers to redesign their lead character, a loveable imaginary dragon named Figment. The green and yellow dragon was changed to it’s now famous royal purple. Kodak would have preferred red and yellow, but the artists prevailed.).

Ultimately, both World Showcase mountains were nixed, leaving the park pretty much thrill-less until Test Track, Mission Space and Soarin’ came around. Unless, of course, you count Maelstrom as a thrill ride. Which I do. “You are not the first to pass this way. Nor shall you be the last…”

It's amazing all the old proposed stuff for EPCOT, especially World Showcase

worldshowcase_coming1982disney.gif

I've read in various books how Spain was proposed as land in world showcase but never seen a concept art of it. This is the first time I see a logo and full description.

The logo is not really that good to be honest, doesnt look anything from Spain at all, more Irish than anything else.
Do concept arts of Spain exist? Im from Spain so I would love to see how it would have looked thought by disney.
Me and a friend wanted to enter an official imagineer contest they do every year for people at university some time ago. We had two ideas, remodel Journey into Imagination pavillion to its old splendor and make it great or make Spain in world showcase with a ride about Don Quixote.
Sadly we couldn't enter the contest (we send an email and all) because only americans could (some years before it was opened to the whole world).
I always wanted to be an imagineer :( well, now I create world with videogames.

Linkified

I've read in various books how Spain was proposed as land in world showcase but never seen a concept art of it. This is the first time I see a logo and full description.

The logo is not really that good to be honest, doesnt look anything from Spain at all, more Irish than anything else.
Do concept arts of Spain exist? Im from Spain so I would love to see how it would have looked thought by disney.
Me and a friend wanted to enter an official imagineer contest they do every year for people at university some time ago. We had two ideas, remodel Journey into Imagination pavillion to its old splendor and make it great or make Spain in world showcase with a ride about Don Quixote.
Sadly we couldn't enter the contest (we send an email and all) because only americans could (some years before it was opened to the whole world).
I always wanted to be an imagineer :( well, now I create world with videogames.

The only person I know that has concept art for 90% proposed attractions for Epcot is Martin Smith or marni1971 in the fan community.

Linkified

Man all these concepts are making me sad at the current state of Epcot.

It was shall we say weird ... plus Toho liked them and for Disney it was too much money. It is like the original concept for Lights Motors Action was James Bond themed went to the estate and they liked it - but the license was too expensive for them.

So I was listening to the new episode of Orlando United Radio (amazing podcast, check it out!) and apparently the Gringotts ride vehicles can spin without the assistance of any track-based mechanisms? Sick.

Also it sounds like there's a good chance the Osaka version of Forbidden Journey will be in 3D. Very interesting, and I wonder if there will be any issues with glasses falling off.

SmithnCo

They were talking about a "scary" projection in the Hogwarts Express on Orlando United, basically confirms Dementors.

The Gringotts ride sounds like it's coming along good too.

They were talking about a "scary" projection in the Hogwarts Express on Orlando United, basically confirms Dementors.

The Gringotts ride sounds like it's coming along good too.
That and watching the ford anglia pass near the train would be the only exciting things they could have from the books about the train ride.

LuuKyK

I wouldn't mind if they gave free chocolates to everyone on the train after the dementors attack. :p

But yeah, its sounding great so far. Can't wait to experience it myself.

aparisi2274

So I was listening to the new episode of Orlando United Radio (amazing podcast, check it out!) and apparently the Gringotts ride vehicles can spin without the assistance of any track-based mechanisms? Sick.

Also it sounds like there's a good chance the Osaka version of Forbidden Journey will be in 3D. Very interesting, and I wonder if there will be any issues with glasses falling off.

If they make the Osaka version 3D, then the 3D glasses would need to be like Quidditch goggles, which now that I say it, makes perfect sense.

Nothing particularly surprising but...

I’m not sure how true this one, but we’ve heard it said that the boat ride going into Pandora: The World of Avatar may be somewhat similar in feel to Pirates of the Caribbean. The fantasy ride through the bio-luminescent world of Pandora may include encounters with animatronic creatures, very cool lighting and projection effects and perhaps a small drop or two along the way to keep things exciting.

Best scenario in my opinion. Pirates is something that I'm surprised hasn't been copied more, outside of maybe Maelstrom. High capacity, great environments, family friendly ride that Jr., Angst Ridden Teen and Grandpa can all enjoy in spades.

Best scenario in my opinion. Pirates is something that I'm surprised hasn't been copied more, outside of maybe Maelstrom. High capacity, great environments, family friendly ride that Jr., Angst Ridden Teen and Grandpa can all enjoy in spades.

Pirates is not only good becuase of the great animatronics and scenes, is the also the music and humor what makes it great.
Giant blue cats animatronics hunting around beautiful colors is not that interesting.

Not the fault of the imagineers, of course, is the idea of being Avatar which has the fault, and I say this when I liked watching Avatar in the cinema. But an interesting idea for a Theme Park? it is not.

Xun

Sounds good to me!

Also London looks pretty great, even if it bothers me Leicester Square and Kings Cross are so close to each other. :p

aparisi2274

Zamperela released the final layout for the new Thunderbolt coaster at Luna Park in Coney Island.... The ride which is being built on, or right next to where the original Thunderbolt stood is slated to open this summer...

Screen+shot+2014-02-08+at+4.10.20+PM.png

Screen+shot+2014-02-08+at+4.10.41+PM.png

ConeyIslandThunderboltLayoutUpdated.jpg

here are some details on the rider itself:

The ride will use a vertical lift to get the cars to 125 feet above the ground. Soon after they plummet down a vertical drop and into a large vertical loop. The trains, which each have three rows of three passengers each, then head through a large extended corkscrew, and into a heavily banked curve. The turn around is still a corkscrew that turns into a 180 degree turn, like was shown on the ride's model at the IAAPA trade show.

The Thunderbolt will be very long and skinny, utilizing all the land available to it to the fullest. The return trip back to the station contains a handful of air-time hills with a final corkscrew thrown in near the end.

Top Bottom