• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Man, this thread makes me want to go to a theme park right about now. The closest ones to me are Anaheim Disney Land and California adventure. Maybe I'll just play RCT3 to save some cash...

overcast

Any of you Southern Californian guys know when Thunder Mountain is opening back up? I've been waiting forever. Quick search didn't help figure it out.

Edit: Seems like it was delayed until April. They're doing bad with this one, Jesus.

aparisi2274

Any of you Southern Californian guys know when Thunder Mountain is opening back up? I've been waiting forever. Quick search didn't help figure it out.

Edit: Seems like it was delayed until April. They're doing bad with this one, Jesus.

Right now, it's listed as reopening on 4/1/14

aparisi2274

RIP Push the talking trashcan. Apparently it was a contracted service and Disney didn't renew.

I saw it last year I believe. Think it was still active until now.

I was at the Magic Kingdom October '13 and I saw him on all 3 MK days I planned.

Usually he's out and about between like 12-3PM in Tomorrowland.

From Screamscape:

For those who have heard some of the rumors, I’ll cover this briefly. PUSH, the talking trash can that has graced the Tomorrowland pathways and entertained guests since the mid 1990’s has been retired from service this week when the contract between Disney and his creator came to an end and was not renewed. PUSH was a great and unique character, so it is sad to see him go… but like all things within the Disney park realm, nothing stays the same forever.

Goldrusher

Ratatouille presentation by Imagineering's Tom Fitzgerald...

(the intro is in French, but the presentation is in English)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9vJajeU3UA

BgQ0THvCEAEuj4j.jpg:orig

overcast

I'm so jealous of a Ratatouille attraction existing. It's a goal to go there when I travel to Europe one day.

My favorite Pixar movie.

aparisi2274

From Screamscape.com

King Kong 360º 3D / Skull Island (Islands of Adventure) - Rumor - (2/15/14) Looks like the heavy digging may be nearly ready to begin at the rumored Kong site behind the Thunder Falls restaurant. Screamscape sources tell us that all departments have been notified that they need to clear out anything that they might have had sitting in storage at the site ASAP.

AND for any Disneyland fans out there, looks like Big Thunder Mtn is cursed:

Is Big Thunder Mountain cursed? Some might think so after seeing how many delays have kept Big Thunder from re-opening, but there is a more logical explanation. While I’m sure there are many little nagging items that are contributing to the delay, one reader managed to get some candid information from a park supervisor about one of the major issues.
According to what they were told the latest delays were caused due to software problems with the ride’s control systems, sensors are apparently detecting ‘ghost’ trains and causing the trim brakes to stop or slow down trains too much in mid-ride, and apparently they’ve even had a couple of trains valley during testing so far. Obviously these issues need to be worked out, but they also indicated that there was a plan to have an Annual Passmember preview event for Big Thunder’s re-launch… but I’m guessing if they do, it may depend on timing of when the ride is ready ahead of the busy Spring Break and Summer seasons.

Blink Me

Have any of you seen the documentary Black Fish? I hadn't heard of it until last night when my mate wanted to watch it. It was all about Seaworld and the killer whales at the parks, one of which is responsible for 3 deaths. I would have probably watched the show with that whale and maybe the performer who was killed when I was in Flordia in 2000.

aparisi2274

Have any of you seen the documentary Black Fish? I hadn't heard of it until last night when my mate wanted to watch it. It was all about Seaworld and the killer whales at the parks, one of which is responsible for 3 deaths. I would have probably watched the show with that whale and maybe the performer who was killed when I was in Flordia in 2000.

Do some research on that movie. It's filled with a lot of propaganda to paint Sea World in a bad light.

01/05/14 - 09/26/14 - Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
03/10/14 - 07/03/14 - Alice in Wonderland
03/17/14 - 05/08/14 - Indiana Jones Adventure
04/21/14 - 05/29/14 - It's A Small World
04/28/14 - 05/08/14 - King Arthur Carrousel
04/28/14 - 05/22/14 - Pirates of the Caribbean
03/20/14 - 05/09/14 - Ariel's Undersea Adventure
04/21/14 - 05/08/14 - It's Tough to be a Bug
04/21/14 - 06/19/14 - Grizzy River Run

List of Disneyland attractions that will be closed during our planned trip. Really considering doing something else now.

List of Disneyland attractions that will be closed during our planned trip. Really considering doing something else now.

Wow, wtf thats nearly the entirety of both parks!

When i went Matterhorn was the one closed and Im still crying about it (when something original from one of the parks is closed for your visit and you live really far away, it's really sad).

I would say, do not go. Do soemthing else and wait (yeah, I know is hard planning a trip and having to cancel it)

Either they already finished it or they took the Soarin' and Space refurbs off that list. But yeah, I reconsidered my DLR trip and now we're heading to WDW in May. It would be nice if all these closures meant something for the DL 60th anniversary next year but I guess we'll see!

Either they already finished it or they took the Soarin' and Space refurbs off that list. But yeah, I reconsidered my DLR trip and now we're heading to WDW in May. It would be nice if all these closures meant something for the DL 60th anniversary next year but I guess we'll see!

Think they are still on but start later now. We're thinking about going the second week of Halloween events in September instead.

There's just no way I'm paying for a trip without Indy and Pirates.

overcast

Damn, that many rides are going to be closed? I have a pass, so I'll continue to go, but that's ROUGH. Classic rides are closed.

Blink Me

Do some research on that movie. It's filled with a lot of propaganda to paint Sea World in a bad light.

I've read both sides of the argument but at the end of the day I still found it an interesting film anyway and it seemed like a pretty horrific way to die for the poor trainers.

Anyway what theme do you think the eventual refurb of Kidzone at Universal Studios will have? I'm personally hoping for a classic cartoon character theme using the Time Warner characters (Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera, MGM & Cartoon Network) but according to some members in the know on Orlando United that isn't looking too likely at the moment. Seems like Universal are going for a more recent IP though. Guess Cartoon Network could still be a possibility.

SmithnCo

The London side of the expansion looks like a cool little place to hang out. Especially after they get the fountain, Knight Bus, and all the greenery and benches in there.

aparisi2274

Oh yes, apart of that, but i thought he was saying that they will first open the london facades, and then, in phase 2 (or 3 if you count IoA part) diagon alley and gringotts.

Oh no, sorry, I meant that London/Diagon Alley is Phase 2 of the Potter-verse at Universal, and in its current state, probably would not open until Aug.

Oh no, sorry, I meant that London/Diagon Alley is Phase 2 of the Potter-verse at Universal, and in its current state, probably would not open until Aug.

Gotcha. Still, they are going really fast with all this. Theres a big difference in how Universal is working right now compared to Disney.
3-4 years for building Ratatouille ride at paris? Slow and steady doesn't win the race sometimes disney.

aparisi2274

Gotcha. Still, they are going really fast with all this. Theres a big difference in how Universal is working right now compared to Disney.
3-4 years for building Ratatouille ride at paris? Slow and steady doesn't win the race sometimes disney.

they closed the Amity Island section of USF (Jaws Ride) in 2012 and just 2 short years later, they are going to have an entire new land open with a big E-Ticket Attraction. It has taken Disney 4+ years to finish New Fantasyland, and they still do not have the big E ticket ride open yet (Seven Dwarves)

Also, look at how fast Uni Orlando got Transformers up and running... they demo'ed an entire building and got this new ride up and running in 1 year.

Yeah, Universal planning is amazing. They developed so much and so fast.

It's really incredible in a good way. We just need Disney to wake the fuck up.

Spiderman is apparently going to be appearing at Walt Disney Studios in Paris from March-July according to wdwmagic.

They need to do something with the action zone (armageddon, lights, motors, action... part) in Disney Studios ASAP and try to add that marvel action. I dont know where are they going to add Spiderman without him looking out of place right now.

Blink Me

They need to do something with the action zone (armageddon, lights, motors, action... part) in Disney Studios ASAP and try to add that marvel action. I dont know where are they going to add Spiderman without him looking out of place right now.

Yeah I'm surprised its taken so long for anything Marvel to appear in Paris yet since Disney can build as many attractions as they like since its only Florida and maybe Tokyo where Universal still has the rights to Marvel attractions. I guess money is always an issue with Paris though.

Xun

It hasn't been posted, but Disney have just revealed the plans for the Magic Kingdom hub:

35UVNjj.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBktbaiFb8

Thoughts? I like the additional trees and little touches, even if it means replacing more grass with concrete.

Ideally I'd love for the central trees to get bigger like they were before, but it'll sadly never happen.

Before

1.jpg

After

11371L.jpg

Top Bottom