• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

zeemumu

Here we go again...

Edit-Damndest 20 minute downpour I ever saw. Weather is currently fantastic.

Edit 2-Spoke too soon...

Edit 3-Welp, nice again.

Happened while I was on the Hulk rollercoaster in Orlando once. Rain hurts at 60+mph.

My favorite sight at Disneyworld was probably the tree of life. I had been waiting to see that tree since I was around 3, so when I actually saw it, I was able to cross that off of my bucket list. I wish that we had one out here, but the lake at the pier at California Adventure is good too.

Hey zeemumu, have you ever been to the parks on Dapper Day? I just booked a trip for it since they give convention rates for it. I was wonder what the crowds are like.

Well, Gringotts fucked us. It was working for a while during vacation package Softs before it broke and riders were evacuated. Current word is that the public would have gotten in if it didn't crap out.

I have one more day to try, wish me luck.

zeemumu

Hey zeemumu, have you ever been to the parks on Dapper Day? I just booked a trip for it since they give convention rates for it. I was wonder what the crowds are like.

I haven't, but I have had friends who have. I've been on the day when there's a ton of goth people there, though. Crowds shouldn't be day-ruining.

LuuKyK

Well, Gringotts fucked us. It was working for a while during vacation package Softs before it broke and riders were evacuated. Current word is that the public would have gotten in if it didn't crap out.

I have one more day to try, wish me luck.

Good luck! I want impressions! :p

Did you post anything about the rest of the new area yet? Can't wait to hear what people say about it, I mean besides the journalists.

zeemumu

Bats Day. :)

Yeah. I always forget the name. Aside from the fact that a lot of them were old people dressed in goth clothing, it looked like an Evanescence concert could have broken out there at any moment. It was actually kind of interesting. Dapper Day is probably more well known but the crowds should be more or less the same. Special clothing days don't bring in the level of crowds that things like Annual Passholder events do. I think that most of the people that you'll see who are there for Dapper Day are people who go regularly. The exception is Mickey's Halloween Party
which I still haven't been to because during October I devote all of my time and money towards Knott's and Universal HHN

jtb

Banned
going to Cedar Point for the first time this August. been waiting to do this for a while, really looking forward to it.

I think that most of the people that you'll see who are there for Dapper Day are people who go regularly. The exception is Mickey's Halloween Party
which I still haven't been to because during October I devote all of my time and money towards Knott's and Universal HHN

The Disney hard ticket events seem crowded but the attractions are all pretty much walk-ons because they only sell so many. Last Dec, I went to the Magic Kingdom Christmas party and the announcement was made that the party for the night was sold out right before it started. There were a crapton of people walking around but there were no waits for anything except the characters. I had the same experience last Oct at Disneyland's Halloween party. I dressed up as Swedish Chef and got a lot of guest and cast member interaction lol

jQYsUID.jpg

Bork bork!

Looks like I'll just be missing the Knott's Halloween stuff this year.

aparisi2274

going to Cedar Point for the first time this August. been waiting to do this for a while, really looking forward to it.

I've always wanted to hit up Cedar Point, just need to figure out logistics on if I want to fly there or just drive it from NYC....

What does the queue/loading station for the Hogwarts Express look like from Hogwarts/Hogsmeade?

Outdoor Dragon Challenge-esque wooded queue that goes into an interior queue. Eventually you head up a few stairs and arrive at the load platform which is partially covered.

Edit-viewing from Hogsmeade, don't think you can see much.

aparisi2274

Is Universal Florida building a waterpark? Seems like it....

Just read this on screamscape:

Is Universal Orlando still hard at work designing a new themed waterpark experience? While the general thought was that any plans to build their own waterpark went out the window once they fully purchased Wet ‘n Wild, but the rumors of continued development are still very strong. ParkScope may have uncovered another piece of the puzzle this week by finding a new Trademark filing by Universal for the name, “Volcano Bay” sent in on June 26th.
This would be fitting, as one of the rumored themed for a Universal themed waterpark was to build it around a large fake Volcano mountain structure that would give them a reason to add fun chaotic elements of themeing to the park’s slides and attractions. Steam vents, pyro and mist projection screens full of virtual flames. According to the filing, they name is intended for use in “Amusement park and water park rides”, “entertainment in the nature of a water park ride”.

here is the patent that they mention:

Volcano+Bay.PNG

thefro

It'd be interesting to see where they could put that... I doubt they'd flatten Wet N' Wild. I supposed they could put it in the current Wet N Wild parking lot and build some garages and move stuff around if they wanted.

Do they still own some other land around that area?

It'd be interesting to see where they could put that... I doubt they'd flatten Wet N' Wild. I supposed they could put it in the current Wet N Wild parking lot and build some garages and move stuff around if they wanted.

There's land between Cabana Bay and RPR that can be used for something I think.

aparisi2274

I'm pretty sure Volcano Bay would be built on property somewhere, and not on or near Wet & Wild.

Spent a few nights at the Polynesian after a Cruise and I think I may have finally convinced everyone to give Universal a go next time. Universal is really entering into a golden era of development that's hard to ignore. Royal Pacific sounds like exactly our kind of resort as well.

O'hana, Le Cellier, Luau and pretty much every other restaurant but Be Our Guest had dropped far enough in quality that I'd rather just stick to the cheaper stuff.

Seven Dwarfs was a good ride, but it falls short (literally) of being a classic ride by going cheap on the length of the ride. Scrap the Belle show across the courtyard and build a bridge for the coaster to travel over and one more dark scene and it's golden. The animatronics do look fantastic, however, and I really hope the rumor of Disneyland updating Pinocchio, Alice, Peter Pan and Snow White with similar animatronics for the 60th is true.

Spent a few nights at the Polynesian after a Cruise and I think I may have finally convinced everyone to give Universal a go next time. Universal is really entering into a golden era of development that's hard to ignore. Royal Pacific sounds like exactly our kind of resort as well.

Royal Pacific has become like a home away from home lol. I've stayed there four times in the past two years and it's been amazing each time. The atmosphere is relaxing, dining is great (definitely try Tchoup Chop) and the resort amenities (water taxi to CityWalk, pool, etc) are all ace. I've mentioned it before but the unlimited express pass you get for staying at a non-Cabana Bay on-property hotel is ridiculous. You can get on almost any ride you want, as many times as you want, often waiting 5-10 minutes (or less!) each time - it's basically god mode for theme parks. I also find Royal Pacific to be very affordable, prolly something like a Disney deluxe for the price of one of their moderates. And if it's something you're already thinking about, you can pick up an annual pass for the parks and save around another $20-30 on your hotel (enter the code "APH" while searching for a room online).

It's just fucking amazing. Can't recommend it enough.

Edit-Forgot to mention that the staff there has always been exceedingly friendly and accommodating. It's something that can easily be taken for granted, and really brings the resort experience to the next level.

Mik2121

On August I will be moving back to Osaka where the Universal Studios Japan is. I will be living at about 25 mins by bike from Universal, so I can't wait to go there sometimes even during the weekdays when I get paid days off work.
My wife and I will be getting the year pass so we will probably go there sometimes even just to walk around and ride a couple things, then go back home :)

This is one of the bigger reasons why I'm excited to go back to Osaka :p

Mr Croft

These are all some epic places thag I would love to visit. Really good to see six flags new England as a honorable mention! The superman/bizarro is epic!

brerwolfe

Okay guys, tomorrow is the official opening of Diagon Alley. I've been thinking of going just so I can take photos of the first-day madness, gimme some thoughts... Yay or nay?

I have friends that are saying they wouldn't be caught dead on Kirkman (main road outside the resort) tomorrow.

Tell me how bad an idea it is, then tell me I should do it.

Okay guys, tomorrow is the official opening of Diagon Alley. I've been thinking of going just so I can take photos of the first-day madness, gimme some thoughts... Yay or nay?

I have friends that are saying they wouldn't be caught dead on Kirkman (main road outside the resort) tomorrow.

The parking garage should be hell. However, you may be able to sneak inside the actual park if you ride the Hogwarts Express in from IoA. Otherwise I think you'll be standing in a big ass line lol.

brerwolfe

I can park in the employee parking section of the garage and enter from the Blue Man soundstage area, next to Rip Ride Rock it. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't think I'd be willing to go if I didn't have the backstage area available to me.

I can park in the employee parking section of the garage and enter from the Blue Man soundstage area, next to Rip Ride Rock it. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't think I'd be willing to go if I didn't have the backstage area available to me.

If you can comfortably get into parking/USF, I'd say go for it. This level of madness doesn't come around often.

We went to WWoHP within 2 weeks of it opening (by chance), and the wait to get into the area was 4 hours until about 3PM.

It seems like DA's capacity is a little larger though, so who knows.

If Gringott's isn't open today, I'd definitely go Hogsmeade Train to DA first thing.

Just for fun, I'd like to throw out a little discussion topic.

Recently, someone I follow on Twitter noted the small amount of guests occupying the Hogwarts Express stations and Diagon Alley. DA hasn't been close to capacity since soft opening and the waits for HE have been pretty negligible. Seems to be hovering around 15-20 min at King's Cross and no more than 30 minutes at Hogsmeade.

I know it's merely soft opened and guests may not be aware of the attractions...but should that matter? I was at USF the second day of Transformers softs and the line hit a minimum of 60 minutes immediately after they opened it for the day. I saw it easily get up to 80-90 minutes over the next few days.

I have a theory about the unconventional design of the Hogwarts Express (mainly from King's Cross) and London/DA. These may be some of the most subtle attractions ever put in a park. For example, the London Hogwarts Express does nothing to announce or otherwise broadcast itself. It's a big building that says "King's Cross", which may have little to no meaning for guests not heavily invested in the Potter films (ignoring the fact that "King's Cross" doesn't necessarily signify Potter in the first place). Other than a small warning sign, the building doesn't indicate that there's even an attraction inside. When I was visiting, I saw countless guests walk right by it even after it soft opened.

London/DA is similar. The London facades neither indicate Potter (outside of the Knight Bus and Grimmauld Place, which again, may be totally lost on casual or non-fans) nor that there's an entire land with a groundbreaking E-ticket attraction inside. There's no weenie - no castle, no loud screams from excited guests, no Hollywood Tower Hotel at the end of a linear street, hell, there's no motherfuckin' Hogwarts Castle that's visible from the moment you enter the park. The London facades are exceedingly well crafted and intricate, but they lack the raw scale or mystique of a good weenie that draws you in.

Compare that to Transformers. You have an amazing weenie in the Optimus Prime statue. There's a big ass sign that says "TRANSFORMERS: THE RIDE 3D". There's no ambiguity here. And for softs, it absolutely vacuumed up guests and spit them out.

So what does this mean? Long term, I have no idea. But short term, I feel that both the HE and DA fail to broadcast themselves to nearby guests. They're almost secrets in a way - subtly waiting to be discovered - but somehow containing world-class tech that likely cost countless dollars to develop. I am very interested to see how casual guests respond to this area. Without studying a park map or being a hardcore fan, this area could be totally lost on people. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. It's all speculation, but interesting to think about.

thefro

Everyone will know where it is since it'll be on the park map with a big NEW! sign on it and probably with a cool-looking logo.

I imagine a lot of casual guests probably didn't realize the DA section was open. It's on the back side of the park where there probably isn't a lot of foot traffic ever since Jaws closed.

Transformers is different since it's near the front of the park and you can't miss it.

IIRC, part of the reason for bringing over Transformers from the Hollywood park was to have a big attraction to vacuum up guests so that everyone doesn't just run to Gringotts right when the park opens.

Park maps will be necessary to help raise awareness. Just in general, I'm struggling to think of another attraction implemented as subtly as London. Indiana Jones Adventure comes to mind, though it still has an attraction sign at the entrance. The lack of both a weenie and proper signage is very interesting to me.

aparisi2274

Its an extremely BAD IDEA!!!! I am pretty sure you would need to get there now and find some place to camp out, so you can be first to get in....

brerwolfe

Also note-- I wouldn't dare try to ride anything, I would only be there for photo purposes.

I remember seeing an aerial photo when Hogsmeade opened. CityWalk was COMPLETELY packed with people standing, waiting for the park to open. I feel like I wanna see that.

aparisi2274

Also note-- I wouldn't dare try to ride anything, I would only be there for photo purposes.

I remember seeing an aerial photo when Hogsmeade opened. CityWalk was COMPLETELY packed with people standing, waiting for the park to open. I feel like I wanna see that.

It's still an extremely bad idea!! The lines will be so bad, and the new park area will be so crowded that they will most likely cut the line to even get into the new area...

Recently, someone I follow on Twitter noted the small amount of guests occupying the Hogwarts Express stations and Diagon Alley. DA hasn't been close to capacity since soft opening and the waits for HE have been pretty negligible. Seems to be hovering around 15-20 min at King's Cross and no more than 30 minutes at Hogsmeade.

I know it's merely soft opened and guests may not be aware of the attractions...but should that matter? I was at USF the second day of Transformers softs and the line hit a minimum of 60 minutes immediately after they opened it for the day. I saw it easily get up to 80-90 minutes over the next few days.

I have a theory about the unconventional design of the Hogwarts Express (mainly from King's Cross) and London/DA. These may be some of the most subtle attractions ever put in a park. For example, the London Hogwarts Express does nothing to announce or otherwise broadcast itself. It's a big building that says "King's Cross", which may have little to no meaning for guests not heavily invested in the Potter films (ignoring the fact that "King's Cross" doesn't necessarily signify Potter in the first place). Other than a small warning sign, the building doesn't indicate that there's even an attraction inside. When I was visiting, I saw countless guests walk right by it even after it soft opened.

London/DA is similar. The London facades neither indicate Potter (outside of the Knight Bus and Grimmauld Place, which again, may be totally lost on casual or non-fans) nor that there's an entire land with a groundbreaking E-ticket attraction inside. There's no weenie - no castle, no loud screams from excited guests, no Hollywood Tower Hotel at the end of a linear street, hell, there's no motherfuckin' Hogwarts Castle that's visible from the moment you enter the park. The London facades are exceedingly well crafted and intricate, but they lack the raw scale or mystique of a good weenie that draws you in.

Compare that to Transformers. You have an amazing weenie in the Optimus Prime statue. There's a big ass sign that says "TRANSFORMERS: THE RIDE 3D". There's no ambiguity here. And for softs, it absolutely vacuumed up guests and spit them out.

So what does this mean? Long term, I have no idea. But short term, I feel that both the HE and DA fail to broadcast themselves to nearby guests. They're almost secrets in a way - subtly waiting to be discovered - but somehow containing world-class tech that likely cost countless dollars to develop. I am very interested to see how casual guests respond to this area. Without studying a park map or being a hardcore fan, this area could be totally lost on people. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. It's all speculation, but interesting to think about.

Think youre reading too much into it. Let us not forget you need the park hopper pass to even ride the train, so I woudl expect shorter lines.

aparisi2274

You are definitely reading into this way to much....

The area has soft opened, and while it is open, Gringotts is not and most people who went into DA during the soft, probably had no idea it was opening when they got there, so they either only purchased a one park pass, or had already visited IOA prior to walking over to USF....

Just wait until tomorrow, when it officially opens, and I guarantee lines will explode to over 2hrs.

You are definitely reading into this way to much....

The area has soft opened, and while it is open, Gringotts is not and most people who went into DA during the soft, probably had no idea it was opening when they got there, so they either only purchased a one park pass, or had already visited IOA prior to walking over to USF....

Just wait until tomorrow, when it officially opens, and I guarantee lines will explode to over 2hrs.

I'm not saying they can't be popular come opening day. Just observing the subtlety of these areas. Would removing Optimus Prime, the NEST/Autobot logos, and the ride marquee from Transformers affect awareness? The entire London area is without a weenie/clear indicators of the attractions within, and its only thematic imagery is targeted to seasoned fans of the franchise. I find that fascinating, personally.

The biggest piece of evidence for park-to-park hindering the train's popularity is the low waits for Hogsmeade Station, imo. When I was at UOR a few days ago, IoA was fucking packed all the time. On multiple days, I arrived at WWoHP around 8:15-8:20am with early entry and Forbidden Journey was already at a 90 minute wait, with guests having to walk almost the entirety of the garden queue to even get into the lockers. And I had to literally stop at points going from Potter to Port of Entry by way of Seuss because the walls of people heading there after park opening were that thick. So traffic patterns and overall volume of people near Hogsmeade Station were both incredibly high, yet waits never exceeded 30-35 min in most cases. The train isn't a high capacity ride either. This has me thinking that park-to-park may be an issue, and/or maybe guests simply don't want to ride an attraction that takes them out of the park. Thoughts? I can understand King's Cross being light on waits, since USF has always been the park with less traffic (until DA, at least) but not even Hogsmeade Station was drawing waits.

lush

They had a making of London/Diagon Alley special on SyFy this weekend actually and they went in to detail on not marking up London any with signage. Pretty cool detail/decision. It obviously won't matter traffic/flow-wise so why not keep it authentic?

Top Bottom