• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

brerwolfe

Last batch! Click to enlarge in case they aren't big enough already..

img_3616.jpg

img_3617.jpg

img_3618.jpg

img_3619.jpg

img_3620.jpg

aparisi2274

Hahaha I like the kid in blue in the last pic. He's all I JUST WANNA RIDE RIDES. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HARRY POTTER IS.

Were you in the new area when it was pretty crowded? I've been trying to guage if the narrow spaces can accommodate large crowds like today. I was told that it's all an illusion that there is plenty of space, but that the inward leaning buildings make it seem narrow.

brerwolfe

Were you in the new area when it was pretty crowded? I've been trying to guage if the narrow spaces can accommodate large crowds like today. I was told that it's all an illusion that there is plenty of space, but that the inward leaning buildings make it seem narrow.

I mean, I was there from 8a to roughly 1030a. When coming into the park at 8a there were zero people at security, and getting through the ticket gate took less that 60 seconds. I didn't see a crowd until I got to Springfield.

Once they let people into Diagon Alley it was full for like the first 30-40 minutes and then they started removing the stanchions and reforming the Gringotts queue. They were letting people enter London in spurts, like 25-40 people every 15 minutes or so, but aside from the initial 830a mass entry it never really felt overly crowded.

That being said, the crowds coming into the park around 1030a looked bigger. The security lines/bag checks were busier and the toll booth area for parking looked more like a parking lot.

I don't know how long the queue is inside Gringotts but it must have a pretty high capacity because there was no one in Knockturn Alley and barely anyone in any of the shops. And you saw my photo of the Hogwarts Express, it was barren.

brerwolfe

And for the people willing to wait in line for over two hours, or five, or seven just to get on Escape from Gringotts-- I'm kinda hoping they're rethinking their life's decisions. That's absolutely insane for a 4-minute ride. We're in Orlando in the summer, come back when it starts raining and washes everyone away.

And for the people willing to wait in line for over two hours, or five, or seven just to get on Escape from Gringotts-- I'm kinda hoping they're rethinking their life's decisions. That's absolutely insane for a 4-minute ride. We're in Orlando in the summer, come back when it starts raining and washes everyone away.

Or just stay one night at Cabana Bay during the offseason and get early entry. Can't see it being more than 30-40 minutes during that time. Single rider would probably be 5 minutes or less for a good few hours. Ride sounds amazing, though.

aparisi2274

Or just stay one night at Cabana Bay during the offseason and get early entry. Can't see it being more than 30-40 minutes during that time. Single rider would probably be 5 minutes or less for a good few hours. Ride sounds amazing, though.

If I can somehow manage a long weekend in Oct, I am seriously considering staying at Cabana Bay. That place looks so nice for a value resort...

If I can somehow manage a long weekend in Oct, I am seriously considering staying at Cabana Bay. That place looks so nice for a value resort...

I stayed two nights at the end of my trip. If you're travelling in a group, I'd recommend getting the suite. It's relatively inexpensive and the room is amazing. The bathroom is set up with the shower and a sink in one room, another sink in the middle, and the toilet in a third room. Bumping heads with the rest of your party while trying to do stuff in the bathroom is a thing of the past. Also, some of the pool views you can get are amazing. Bus service is also ace and shits on Disney's from a great height. We never waited more than 2-3 minutes for a bus, and a few times had another bus queued up behind another one that was leaving. Universal has that shit on lockdown.

Fantastic hotel. The prices will make you feel like you're robbing the place. Think our suite was only around $115 with the annual pass discount, and that was at the end of June.

aparisi2274

I stayed two nights at the end of my trip. If you're travelling in a group, I'd recommend getting the suite. It's relatively inexpensive and the room is amazing. The bathroom is set up with the shower and a sink in one room, another sink in the middle, and the toilet in a third room. Bumping heads with the rest of your party while trying to do stuff in the bathroom is a thing of the past. Also, some of the pool views you can get are amazing. Bus service is also ace and shits on Disney's from a great height. We never waited more than 2-3 minutes for a bus, and a few times had another bus queued up behind another one that was leaving. Universal has that shit on lockdown.

Fantastic hotel. The prices will make you feel like you're robbing the place. Think our suite was only around $115 with the annual pass discount, and that was at the end of June.

Do they do preferred rooms that are closer to the bus stops, like Disney does with Pop Century?

Do they do preferred rooms that are closer to the bus stops, like Disney does with Pop Century?

Not as a specific type of room you can book, but you could probably request one. If you don't mind being on ground level, request anything from 1100-1130. You'll be right next to the pool and lobby, extremely close to parking (another plus of Cabana Bay), and maybe two minutes of walking to the bus stop. Those rooms might all be suites though - we were in 1124 which was a family suite. Rooms closer to 1100 are closer to the lobby. Might want to ask to see if you can get closer, though. We didn't explore the property much which is something we definitely want to do next time. To be fair, it's hard to find time for anything else when USF and IoA are only a five minute bus ride away lol.

edit-Just checked some rates and it looks like you'll save about $20 per night with an annual pass. That may be something to consider if you're going to be at the resort a few times within the year. October is also a bit more expensive than some other months. You can get a regular room for $79 per night with the passholder rate in mid-September 0_0. Jesus, that's $40 less than the regular rate.

edit 2-never mind all that. I'm just going into my planning mode lol. I'm pretty sure it's a defense mechanism to tide me over until my next trip. Anyway, Cabana Bay is fantastic. You'll love it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is Magic Mountain worth taking a 15 hour road trip for? I would be splitting the cost with friends and havent been to LA anyways (would stay for 3 or 4 days not including driving days). I love coasters.

aparisi2274

Is Magic Mountain worth taking a 15 hour road trip for? I would be splitting the cost with friends and haven't been to LA anyways (would stay for 3 or 4 days not including driving days). I love coasters.

If you are a coaster fan, they have some good ones there, but a couple of there bigger ones are out of commission and the park is always filled with undesirables.

LuuKyK

I just wanted to say that brerwolfe is an amazing photographer (I am assuming you are one, and if you arent you should really consider it lol). Some of these photos are absolutely amazing. Congrats and thanks for sharing them with us. :)

brerwolfe

I just wanted to say that brerwolfe is an amazing photographer (I am assuming you are one, and if you arent you should really consider it lol). Some of these photos are absolutely amazing. Congrats and thanks for sharing them with us. :)
Thanks for the compliment!

I'm an amateur photographer, but I'm a professional camera operator ;)

But really, I'm a freelance camera operator for television. I have a handful of steady clients, but my main client is the PGA Tour, I just returned home from my 14th tournament (of a scheduled 21) this calendar year.

When I'm in town I also work part-time for Blue Man Group out at Universal. I run camera for them and do a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff during the show (moving equipment, helping the guys get in and out of different "costumes"). It's different than anything I've ever done in my career, but it's a lot of fun and it's good people.

aparisi2274

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm an amateur photographer, but I'm a professional camera operator ;)

But really, I'm a freelance camera operator for television. I have a handful of stay clients, but my main client is the PGA Tour, I just returned home from my 14th tournament (of a scheduled 21) this calendar year.

When I'm in town I also work part-time for Blue Man Group out at Universal. I run camera for them and do a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff during the show (moving equipment, helping the guys get in and out of different "costumes"). It's different than anything I've ever done in my career, but it's a lot of fun and it's good people.

Awesome... and thanks again for posting the photos... Feel free to post photos in here whenever you are at a theme park...

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Friend and I are heading out to King's Dominion next week. We live within an hour of Cedar Point and have already went there this year (as well as many years past) but I needed to get away for a week to relax and asked if he wanted to head out to King's Dominion. Looking forward to it and we are staying pretty much right on the park. Any tips or advice (best time to ride some rides, quick ways through the park, etc...) from anyone who has been there recently? We are going on a Tuesday/Wednesday so hoping to beat any crowd and we will ride anything, the bigger/more extreme the better, both of us love coasters and will ride anything.

I've been there a few times, it's a great park with one of the best rollercoasters in the world (Intimidator 305)! It's like a mix of Millennium Force's drop and speed with Maverick's twisty layout and quick transitions. Going on a weekday you should have no problem getting all the rides in. I would advise you to start in the back of the park and work your way up. Dominator usually has a long line at the beginning of the day, so go to the back of the park and start with Intimidator 305 or Volcano.

Sub_Level said:
Is Magic Mountain worth taking a 15 hour road trip for? I would be splitting the cost with friends and haven't been to LA anyways (would stay for 3 or 4 days not including driving days). I love coasters.

Magic Mountain has a lot of great coasters, but is generally poorly run and not as great as it should be. I personally wouldn't drive 15 hours exclusively for Magic Mountain unless you're going to do other activities in LA or visit Disneyland.

jtb

Banned
Magic Mountain was a big disappointment when I went a few years ago. their coasters are all about quantity over quality. and half are almost always not operating for one reason or another anyways.

also greyouts on Goliath, ugh.

the stupid thing was building the ride into Kingda Ka in the first place. I don't understand that all. the litigation chances are so huge. reminds me of the Dueling Dragons—they don't duel any more for stuff like this. the only thing surprising is that it went 10 years without incident before some idiots decided to ruin it for all of us.

aparisi2274

Maybe I missed something, but was this a last minute decision by New Jersey? Because if Six Flags didn't get a green light to run Zumanjaro/Kingda Ka simultaneously before starting construction...lol

I think this was a last minute thing that the state imposed, because every video I've ever seen of this ride always showed Kingda Ka running at the same time...

the stupid thing was building the ride into Kingda Ka in the first place. I don't understand that all. the litigation chances are so huge. reminds me of the Dueling Dragons—they don't duel any more for stuff like this. the only thing surprising is that it went 10 years without incident before some idiots decided to ruin it for all of us.

I think its a cool premise, but I also think NJ is being a bit to strict. Six Flags put very strong protective canopies over each gondola to protect the rider from flying debris, but NJ still felt it was issue.

There was a update on the ride operation a couple days after I posted that story, and it was coming from a SFGADV employee who said that the only ride that suffers is KK, because he said that in the time it takes to load the 3 gondolas for Zumanjaro, KK can run 2 trains with no issue, but the time it takes to run Zumanjaro is a lot longer than running KK, so the line will back up... A LOT!!

I'm really pining to go down to Disney again, and I'm trying to talk the GF into going with me. She doesn't seem very interested especially the immense price tag. I got a decent deal on getting some points to stay at the Wilderness Lodge Villas for 7 nights at a little over 1100.

Only downside would be going at the end of January. I really wanted to make it down for the fall especially for F&W and MNSSHP.

I'll have to talk to her again about it.

I went solo last year and while it was fun at some points it sort of was depressing at others.

I'm really pining to go down to Disney again, and I'm trying to talk the GF into going with me. She doesn't seem very interested especially the immense price tag. I got a decent deal on getting some points to stay at the Wilderness Lodge Villas for 7 nights at a little over 1100.

Only downside would be going at the end of January. I really wanted to make it down for the fall especially for F&W and MNSSHP.

I went solo last year and while it was fun at some points it sort of was depressing at others.

January is a great time for no crowds. Best initiation time for someone unfamiliar or unenthusiastic as well.

aparisi2274

January is not a bad time to go... Its pretty much empty, almost no lines, and the weather is really nice during the day!

Your gf should go to show you that she cares about what you are into!! :)

Also, while you are down there, u can go over to Universal and check out Harry Potter.

January is a great time for no crowds. Best initiation time for someone unfamiliar or unenthusiastic as well.

I know, I'm a Disney vet, and I know that pretty much the middle of January is nearly as good as it gets, outside of the week after Labor day.

January is not a bad time to go... Its pretty much empty, almost no lines, and the weather is really nice during the day!

Your gf should go to show you that she cares about what you are into!! :)

Also, while you are down there, u can go over to Universal and check out Harry Potter.

She's not really "into" Disney. She doesn't see the point or thrill of spending all this money to stand in lines and what not. She's into the Simpsons something fierce, I try sweetening the pot by saying we can go to Universal for a day and see the Simpsons Land, and perhaps Harry Potter as well.

She's not really "into" Disney. She doesn't see the point or thrill of spending all this money to stand in lines and what not. She's into the Simpsons something fierce, I try sweetening the pot by saying we can go to Universal for a day and see the Simpsons Land, and perhaps Harry Potter as well.

Express pass would be a good idea though Forbidden Journey doesn't utilize it and I'm assuming Gringotts doesn't either. FP+ at that time of year can work great. Almost everything has a FP now, for better and for worse. But the way the rolling FP works will pretty much let you walk on a lot of attractions.

Express pass would be a good idea though Forbidden Journey doesn't utilize it and I'm assuming Gringotts doesn't either. FP+ at that time of year can work great. Almost everything has a FP now, for better and for worse. But the way the rolling FP works will pretty much let you walk on a lot of attractions.

How does the Express Pass work?

It just reminds me of this skit from the BBC's Come Fly With Me

If everyone buys one, what good does it do?

Have you been to Universal before?

Staying on property will get you an unlimited express pass that will allow you to get on almost any ride in the resort with minimal waiting (almost always less than 5 minutes) as many times as you want. And for the few rides that don't accept express, wait times should generally be very short at that time of year.

I used to be a Disney nut but after my first on-property stay at Universal, I couldn't go back. Lines are near-irrelevant, there's very little need for transportation (both parks are 5 minutes of walking from each other, and there's a complementary water taxi between the hotels and CityWalk [where the parks are]), and Universal's best rides cream pretty much anything Disney's built in the last 10 years.

You should really consider it :)

How does the Express Pass work?

It just reminds me of this skit from the BBC's Come Fly With Me

If everyone buys one, what good does it do?

At your hotel, you put your room key into a machine that takes your picture and spits out an express pass. Then, think of it as an unlimited Disney Fastpass that's good at any time of day. Basically, walk up to a ride entrance, show your express pass, get it scanned, then get into the express queue (similar to a dedicated Fastpass queue at Disney). Rinse and repeat as often as you like.

You can purchase unlimited express without staying on-site, but it's expensive as hell and the amount of passes they sell are limited so the total number of guests using them isn't a problem. There's a cheaper option for purchase, but it's only good one time each ride, so "flooding" the park with them still isn't an issue. Trust me when I say that most rides will be near-walk ons most of the time, with 5 minute or (very rarely) 10 minute waits otherwise.

Edit - A few of the Potter attractions don't support Express, but this issue is mitigated by the fact that staying on-property gets you an hour of early access to either Potter land in Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios Florida before the park opens. So for example, you (and other hotel guests) can enter the Potter land in Islands of Adventure at 8:00AM if the park normally opens at 9:00AM. It's a fantastic perk.

Staying on property will get you an unlimited express pass that will allow you to get on almost any ride in the resort with minimal waiting (almost always less than 5 minutes) as many times as you want. And for the few rides that don't accept express, wait times should generally be very short at that time of year.

I used to be a Disney nut but after my first on-property stay at Universal, I couldn't go back. Lines are near-irrelevant, there's very little need for transportation (both parks are 5 minutes of walking from each other, and there's a complementary water taxi between the hotels and CityWalk [where the parks are]), and Universal's best rides cream pretty much anything Disney's built in the last 10 years.

At your hotel, you put your room key into a machine that takes your picture and spits out an express pass. Then, think of it as an unlimited Disney Fastpass that's good at any time of day.

You can purchase unlimited express without staying on-site, but it;s expensive as hell and the amount of passes they sell are limited so the total number of guests using them isn't a problem. There's a cheaper option for purchase, but it's only good one time each ride, so "flooding" the park with them still isn't an issue.

I just don't know if there's enough for us to do to warrant getting a night at an Universal Hotel.

I mean I'd have to remove a day from my Disney reservation to make a hotel reservation for Universal.

I'm trying to figure out if I'd rather want to start or end Universal. if I start then I can still take advantage of Disney's Magical Express to take all of our checked luggage to the airport for our return flight.

I just don't know if there's enough for us to do to warrant getting a night at an Universal Hotel.

What types of attractions you do enjoy? Personally, Universal has my top 3 dark rides in the country with Spider-Man, Transformers, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Despicable Me and The Simpsons Ride are very enjoyable simulators. Men in Black is like a much better version of Buzz Lightyear. Revenge of the Mummy is a dark ride/coaster hybrid that's super underrated, and one of the best attractions anywhere imo. Hulk and Dragon Challenge make up three pretty amazing, if intense, coasters. If you don't mind getting wet, all three of Islands of Adventure's water rides (Jurassic Park, Ripsaw Falls, Popeye) are a ton of fun. Both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are incredibly dense with theming - I've seen multiple reports of guests spending upwards of three hours in Diagon Alley without even riding anything because there's so much to see and take in. I was lucky enough to get on the Hogwarts Express during soft openings and that was a pretty incredible experience from top to bottom. And of course, Gringotts will be open when you go - it's getting rave reviews itself.

aparisi2274

I mean I'd have to remove a day from my Disney reservation to make a hotel reservation for Universal.

I'm trying to figure out if I'd rather want to start or end Universal. if I start then I can still take advantage of Disney's Magical Express to take all of our checked luggage to the airport for our return flight.

If you are staying at Disney, you can always use a shuttle service to go to Universal. Main Gate Taxi is one that comes to mind.

Also, the express is great, but in January, lines should be pretty minimal, and you may not need a express pass.

When I go in Oct, I always get an express pass, because the lines can get pretty crazy later on in the day, and with the express pass I can do both parks in like 5hrs.

What types of attractions you do enjoy? Personally, Universal has my top 3 dark rides in the country with Spider-Man, Transformers, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Despicable Me and The Simpsons Ride are very enjoyable simulators. Men in Black is like a much better version of Buzz Lightyear. Revenge of the Mummy is a dark ride/coaster hybrid that's super underrated, and one of the best attractions anywhere imo. Hulk and Dragon Challenge make up three pretty amazing, if intense, coasters. If you don't mind getting wet, all three of Islands of Adventure's water rides (Jurassic Park, Ripsaw Falls, Popeye) are a ton of fun. Both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are incredibly dense with theming - I've seen multiple reports of guests spending upwards of three hours in Diagon Alley without even riding anything because there's so much to see and take in. I was lucky enough to get on the Hogwarts Express during soft openings and that was a pretty incredible experience from top to bottom. And of course, Gringotts will be open when you go - it's getting rave reviews itself.

I'm not really into coasters or really big thrill rides. Like Big Thunder Mountain is as "thrilling" as I get when it comes to rides.

I'm not really into coasters or really big thrill rides. Like Big Thunder Mountain is as "thrilling" as I get when it comes to rides.

In that case, I think you should definitely do at least one day there. If you like dark rides, Universal will pretty much ruin Disney for you on that front (besides Haunted Mansion). All theme park fans owe it to themselves to get on Spider-Man, Transformers, and Forbidden Journey (also Gringotts, it looks like). You definitely need to go, trust me :)

In that case, I think you should definitely do at least one day there. If you like dark rides, Universal will pretty much ruin Disney for you on that front (besides Haunted Mansion). All theme park fans owe it to themselves to get on Spider-Man, Transformers, and Forbidden Journey (also Gringotts, it looks like). You definitely need to go, trust me :)

You make a tempting argument to go...

I've actually been crunching the numbers to go 11/16-11/22 or 11/15-11/21.

Depending on what's available I can get a DVC rental from 896 (Board Walk Inn Villas) to 1526 (Bay Lake Tower)

Tickets for 2 people 5 Day PH's would be 732.10

Airfare ranges from 576 to 613 via Jet Blue depending if we want to arrive a day early (really about midnight Sunday morning instead of Sunday afternoon).

A rental car would roughly be 190.

I mean I can't complain considering I went to the Poly last year for 6 nights and that ran me nearly 2400 between tickets, room, and airfare.

Nelo Ice

Banned
What would be a good time to go to Universal this fall? And preferably if I can find a cheaper way to go lol. Want to do Horror nights at least once. But besides that will have to find a way to budget in Universal and anything else I want to do in Orlando. I'll be in Orlando for 5 months doing the Disney College Program so I'll have unlimited access to Disney World.

minx

Unlimited express pass at Universal is totally worth it. Spoiled by that. Went to Six Flags Great America today and in the six hours we were there we only rode Goliath and Superman. Goliath broke down once. The wait was worth it though, it really was amazing. Superman broke down twice and only had one coaster running when we finally got on. Every other ride was minimum hour wait so we just left since we have a season pass.

What would be a good time to go to Universal this fall? And preferably if I can find a cheaper way to go lol. Want to do Horror nights at least once. But besides that will have to find a way to budget in Universal and anything else I want to do in Orlando. I'll be in Orlando for 5 months doing the Disney College Program so I'll have unlimited access to Disney World.

I went the first week of December last year, but stayed at Disney. We bought Express Pass beforehand and it ended up being a waste of money because there were literally no lines. The only line we bypassed was a 20 minute wait at Despicable Me. Forbidden Journey was posted 15 mins but it was much less than that. If I went this year same time (and I might), Express Pass could potentially be more useful since DA is fresh, bringing in more guests. Universal's calendar for Express Pass prices is showing the cheapest it is available for, for the first week of Dec. If you're looking to go sooner than that, I would look at the EP calendar. The prices indicate Universal's crowd expectations and they adjust accordingly. Even if you stay onsite with unlimited EP, it is at least something to go by, or you can find a historical crowd calendar.

September would probably be pretty dead. Looks like HHN starts on the 19th so maybe around then? Seems like October would be packed.

Nelo Ice

Banned
September would probably be pretty dead. Looks like HHN starts on the 19th so maybe around then? Seems like October would be packed.

I went the first week of December last year, but stayed at Disney. We bought Express Pass beforehand and it ended up being a waste of money because there were literally no lines. The only line we bypassed was a 20 minute wait at Despicable Me. Forbidden Journey was posted 15 mins but it was much less than that. If I went this year same time (and I might), Express Pass could potentially be more useful since DA is fresh, bringing in more guests. Universal's calendar for Express Pass prices is showing the cheapest it is available for, for the first week of Dec. If you're looking to go sooner than that, I would look at the EP calendar. The prices indicate Universal's crowd expectations and they adjust accordingly. Even if you stay onsite with unlimited EP, it is at least something to go by, or you can find a historical crowd calendar.

Thanks for the tips, Hoping I can go at least twice. Once when it's dead and another for Horror Nights. Just hope I can fit in in the budget since I won't be making much money or of course hope I can snag a florida resident discount on the AP and then I'll def go at least 4 times to make sure I get my $$ worth. Also hoping I can go to the Kennedy Space Center. So much I want to do lol. And funny thing is I'm excited to do everything that isn't Disney World.

caramac

At your hotel, you put your room key into a machine that takes your picture and spits out an express pass. Then, think of it as an unlimited Disney Fastpass that's good at any time of day. Basically, walk up to a ride entrance, show your express pass, get it scanned, then get into the express queue (similar to a dedicated Fastpass queue at Disney). Rinse and repeat as often as you like.

You can purchase unlimited express without staying on-site, but it's expensive as hell and the amount of passes they sell are limited so the total number of guests using them isn't a problem. There's a cheaper option for purchase, but it's only good one time each ride, so "flooding" the park with them still isn't an issue. Trust me when I say that most rides will be near-walk ons most of the time, with 5 minute or (very rarely) 10 minute waits otherwise.

Edit - A few of the Potter attractions don't support Express, but this issue is mitigated by the fact that staying on-property gets you an hour of early access to either Potter land in Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios Florida before the park opens. So for example, you (and other hotel guests) can enter the Potter land in Islands of Adventure at 8:00AM if the park normally opens at 9:00AM. It's a fantastic perk.

Lots of visitors from the UK do this, book into a Universal hotel for one or two nights just to get the unlimited express passes and of course to experience the Universal hotels. If things go to plan myself and my family will do this in July/Aug next year.

Also I believe if you stay at the Cabana Bay hotel you don't get a free express pass.

Top Bottom