• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

aparisi2274

Warwick Davis posted this photo to his Twitter this morning.....

14273273089_99e208a5e4_c.jpg

How absolutely brilliant does that building look with the dragon!!!

LuuKyK

So for those that don't mind spoiling the experience, there are video popping up about Diagon Alley and everything else. InsideTheMagic posted really good HD videos of the entire thing (they were not allowed to film the actual ride of Gringotts though, understandably).

Hogwarts Express from Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade (including the amazing passing through the brick wall illusion - pretty cool).

Hogwarts Express from Hogsmeade to Diagon Alley (its actually a different experience than the other way around).

Diagon Alley Night Walkthrough.

Diagon Alley detailed Day Walkthrough.

Knockturn Alley Walkthrough.

Escape From Gringotts full queue walkthough. (watch this!)

Knight Bus and Conductor Interactive set piece.

Tale of the Three Brothers Puppet Show

Celestina Warbeck and The Banshees Live Singing Show

I just have to say that Universal nailed every single thing about this HP expansion. Nailed it! Congrats to their imagineers. Surpassed every expectations I had about it. I cant wait to ride on Gringotts and see if the hype is justified like the journalists are saying. I am sure it will be just as awesome as the rest of the area. :)

aparisi2274

you know, the only concern I have with Diagon Alley (after seeing all the photos) is the actual space. It seems so narrow, that I can not see large amounts of people congregating there, because it would be so tight!!

Anyone else get that feeling by looking at the pics?

LuuKyK

you know, the only concern I have with Diagon Alley (after seeing all the photos) is the actual space. It seems so narrow, that I can not see large amounts of people congregating there, because it would be so tight!!

Anyone else get that feeling by looking at the pics?

Did you watch the video I just posted? I feared that too but its actually quite an open area.

Ratatouille is pretty underwhelming there. Maybe if the seats moved with the screens it would be a little more intriguing, but it's mostly just traveling through brief sets to sit in front of the next screen for a 20 seconds or so.

SmithnCo

Ratatouille is pretty underwhelming there. Maybe if the seats moved with the screens it would be a little more intriguing, but it's mostly just traveling through brief sets to sit in front of the next screen for a 20 seconds or so.

Yeah, I think moving seats would've taken it to the next level.

The trackless system combined with other systems has a lot of potential.

LuuKyK

I kinda want to watch, but I do not want to ruin anything... :D

Oh ok. But still, just so you know its not as narrow as in the movies, and they have an adjacent area that is very large. Wont say more than that since you dont want to be spoiled.

Btw, was seeing some pics and holy moly, the Leaky Cauldron is just like in the movies. Really great job with that too.

aparisi2274

I don't care about Harry Potter and usually just dismiss Universal out of hand but man that new expansion looks incredible.

Dismissing Universal is just plain dumb! They have some of the best rides in central florida....

Spider-Man
Transformers
The Simpsons
The Hulk
Dueling Dragons
Hollywood Rip, Rocket, Ride.

Why would you dismiss this park?

aparisi2274

Oh ok. But still, just so you know its not as narrow as in the movies, and they have an adjacent area that is very large. Wont say more than that since you dont want to be spoiled.

Btw, was seeing some pics and holy moly, the Leaky Cauldron is just like in the movies. Really great job with that too.

I ended up watching the detailed day walkthrough... and what I mean is that it seems as if there is only one main entrance and exit to Diagon Alley (through the brick wall) and come on, you mean to tell me that that main road leading to Gringotts will be able to handle summer crowds? Or holiday crowds....

The section looks absolutely AMAZING!, but I have to wonder what it will look like come July 8th.

Dismissing Universal is just plain dumb! They have some of the best rides in central florida....

Spider-Man
Transformers
The Simpsons
The Hulk
Dueling Dragons
Hollywood Rip, Rocket, Ride.

Why would you dismiss this park?

I've only been to Hollywood, and it's always felt like a strange and cheap Disney-wannabe to me. (Maybe because I have less relevance for the material the rides are based on?)

Orlando seems way better though, especially with this new land.

LuuKyK

Universal Orlando + Islands of Adventures provides much more fun than all Disney parks combined imo.

I ended up watching the detailed day walkthrough... and what I mean is that it seems as if there is only one main entrance and exit to Diagon Alley (through the brick wall) and come on, you mean to tell me that that main road leading to Gringotts will be able to handle summer crowds? Or holiday crowds....

The section looks absolutely AMAZING!, but I have to wonder what it will look like come July 8th.

I dont think thats the only entrance though, there is a side space (the one covered by the glass roof) that leads out of the area too. Maybe I am wrong, idk. And about it being not so wide, tbh not even the biggest area in the world would be able to handle the summer crowd. It will be full no matter what. lol But still, at least its bigger than Hogsmeade.

aparisi2274

I've only been to Hollywood, and it's always felt like a strange and cheap Disney-wannabe to me. (Maybe because I have less relevance for the material the rides are based on?)

Orlando seems way better though, especially with this new land.

Universal Hollywood is insanely small, and most of the space is being used up by soundstages and film/tv productions... Florida is a pure theme park, and they have A LOT more land to work with.

You should go to the florida one, visit both parks, and then make a decision.

I don't care about Harry Potter and usually just dismiss Universal out of hand but man that new expansion looks incredible.

Im a huge disney parks fan and for me is impossible to dismiss what Universal is doing right now (and some things they did in the past). They are amazingly great and disney imagineering could take some notes (or probably they are not the problem, but higher ups and stockhholders fucking their ideas).

Im a huge disney parks fan and for me is impossible to dismiss what Universal is doing right now (and some things they did in the past). They are amazingly great and disney imagineering could take some notes (or probably they are not the problem, but higher ups and stockhholders fucking their ideas).

Sums up my feelings. I love Disney and in general I'm not too big on motion simulators but Universal still has plenty to offer. Their commitment to growth and innovation is certainly commendable.

Oh yeah definitely. It's impossible to deny that they are doing way bigger things in way less time compared to Disney.

I'd give the nod to Universal in Florida if EPCOT didn't exist. Still a great place, though. Team Disney Orlando will continue to laugh all the way to the bank without putting any major capital into the parks. People will go regardless. That's how powerful the mouse is in Orlando.

aparisi2274

I'd give the nod to Universal in Florida if EPCOT didn't exist. Still a great place, though. Team Disney Orlando will continue to laugh all the way to the bank without putting any major capital into the parks. People will go regardless. That's how powerful the mouse is in Orlando.

Epcot is good for 2 rides (Test track and Mission space) and 1 ride for a nap (Spaceship Earth)

Only thing to do in Epcot is drink yourself into believing there's more attractions lol

That's what I do. I go during Food and Wine and drink myself numb. Lol.

I still think this Avatar land is a HUGE mis-step for Disney. After the trilogy is done, not one person is going to care about Avatar. Hell, I saw the original and I can barely remember what it's about.

Also, with Universal already in the planning stages for their next HP ride, I wouldn't be surprised if they get that ride open before or at the same time as Avatar land.

For me, going on vacation to FL meant a week at Disney with side trips to Universal and maybe Bush Gardens, but now, I might stay at a universal property (Cabana Bay looks so nice) and make a side trip to Disney, since they'll have nothing new for at least 4-5 yrs.

Eh, as long as the Avatar area is done well I don't really care about the IP it's based on. Disney doesn't need to pull in new blood like Universal does.

Animal Kingdom needs more content to entice people to stay open to close. Avatar, the night time entertainment and maybe just one more ride around Africa would make AK a more less "complete" park, and the last time that was true for Disney World (outside of Magic Kingdom) was probably an early 90s version of EPCOT.

There were some rumors today of Hollywood Studios getting a Frozen Stage Show, Meet and Greet and Fireworks show in the Premiere Theater / American Idol Theater later. That and a fully implemented Star Wars Land would fix a lot of the issues that Studios has.

I don't know how they fix EPCOT and keep it true to the original vision. Future World needs more help than all other parks combined. World Showcase is complete from a Dining, Events and Retail perspective but another Country and a ride or two would help tremendously.

brerwolfe

My wife and I had Disney annual passes last year after having Universal passes the previous 3 years. I think we only went 6 times throughout the year... twice to MK, twice to AK and then Epcot and Hollywood Studios once. We're just not the demographic for it.

We decided to let the passes expire and go back to Universal, then I was hired part-time at Blue Man Group and no longer needed an annual pass. But going back to Universal, it felt like going home. It's so much more comfortable and the rides are infinitely more entertaining for us.

aparisi2274

Eh, as long as the Avatar area is done well I don't really care about the IP it's based on. Disney doesn't need to pull in new blood like Universal does.

Problem with Avatar at night is that AK closes early, due to the animals needing to follow some sort of schedule. I think even in the summer hours, the park closes at 8:00pm, which as I am sure you are aware is to early to appreciate anything at night, since the sun is still up. During the fall and winter months, it might work better, cause the sun goes down earlier, but during the summer... How are we supposed to appreciate the glowing luminescent creatures that they show in the concept art??

Animal Kingdom needs more content to entice people to stay open to close. Avatar, the night time entertainment and maybe just one more ride around Africa would make AK a more less "complete" park, and the last time that was true for Disney World (outside of Magic Kingdom) was probably an early 90s version of EPCOT.

Animal Kingdom needs to fix Everest... FAST! The fact that the Yeti has not moved for almost 4yrs is ridiculous! Everest is THE ride in AK, and to leave it broken for so long, and insult people with a strobe light is pathetic! Shit, even the Yeti in the Matterhorn in DL works...

They also need to add some other big E-TIcket, non Avatar, rides! Something that will get the teens and twenty-somethings to stay at the park.

There were some rumors today of Hollywood Studios getting a Frozen Stage Show, Meet and Greet and Fireworks show in the Premiere Theater / American Idol Theater later. That and a fully implemented Star Wars Land would fix a lot of the issues that Studios has.

I read those too, that they are going to shutdown AI (which has been confirmed) and possibly shut down Indy Jones show (still a rumor) and turn it into a full fledged Star Wars land... but lets be honest here, by the time that happens, Star Wars 9 will be coming out.

I don't know how they fix EPCOT and keep it true to the original vision. Future World needs more help than all other parks combined. World Showcase is complete from a Dining, Events and Retail perspective but another Country and a ride or two would help tremendously

EPCOT needs to put in rides that teach kids, but also makes it fun. I think they should bring back the original Journey into Imagnination, and add a after ride area where kids can use their imaginations to create things or play with things, kind of like a wonderlabs.

I think they also need to beef up Innoventions. I would love to see more things in there that are hands on, and not just short shows on specific subjects. Make more hands on things. Have kids try to solve puzzles so that they can get the power from A to B or the water from A to B... give them something to do.

I know this will never happen, but maybe DIsney partners with Google to showcase their new driver-less car and have test rides for people to show what it can do...

Spaceship is just a travesty! There used to be all this cool future tech that was shown at the end of the ride, as you were coming down the support leg, but it was so old that that future tech was now actual tech that people use everyday, so instead of working with top tech companies to see what might be coming down the road in 5, 10 or 15yrs, they just leave it blank, and pre-occupy you with a video screen so you can create a postcard from the future.... SO. DAMN. LAME.

I could go on and on about Epcot and how bad it is now, but I think you all get the point!

Once Avatar is fully opened and the water show is going, I think AK will stay open at least as long as the other parks. And last I heard they had proposed some fix to the Yeti that would not require taking the mountain apart so maybe we'll see that eventually.

As for the Frozen @ Studios rumors, they are supposedly being fast tracked for the end of July and job postings for Anna and Elsa vocalists were posted a few weeks back.

aparisi2274

Once Avatar is fully opened and the water show is going, I think AK will stay open at least as long as the other parks. And last I heard they had proposed some fix to the Yeti that would not require taking the mountain apart so maybe we'll see that eventually.

As for the Frozen @ Studios rumors, they are supposedly being fast tracked for the end of July and job postings for Anna and Elsa vocalists were posted a few weeks back.

I doubt it. MK is open until 11pm, midnight some other days... You can't keep AK open late, because the crowds and noise would mess with the animal's sleep schedule...

Same goes for other parks with a safari, namely Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ. Their safari closes at like 6 or 7pm, while the park is open until 11pm or so, but they are far enough apart from each other, that the ride noises and lights do not mess with the animals.

None of the stage shows at WDW hold a light to Aladdin at DCA. It would be nice if the quality of this rumored Frozen show would be of that caliber because that is what DHS should really be about. I love Hollywood Studios probably more than I should but it can't even compare to DCA head-to-head. Fantasmic! is even better at Disneyland for crying out loud!

aparisi2274

I think DHS needs more than just some stage shows to fix its issues.

I think they need to rebrand Aerosmith, since it doesn't fit anymore, and the video is like 20yrs old.

I think they should gut Great Movie ride and build it up from scratch with all new movie sets, or just fix the issues it has now. 80% of the effects in there no longer work.

thefro

I think they need to rebrand Aerosmith, since it doesn't fit anymore, and the video is like 20yrs old.

I think they should gut Great Movie ride and build it up from scratch with all new movie sets, or just fix the issues it has now. 80% of the effects in there no longer work.

A couple totally new rides would be nice. The Aerosmith coaster is the last big new thing they've put in the park and that's 15 years old.

I know the Star Tours upgrade was practically a new ride but that's not adding to your ride count.

flyover

I can see the left side of DHS evolving into a Star Wars zone. Keep the major right-side attractions (Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania, and Fantasmic). Just about everything left of the big hat eventually gets re-themed for Star Wars -- with the possible exception of keeping/moving MuppetVision 3D.

Wouldn't shock me if the first thing they do is take over the American Idol Experience (which is closing next year) to expand Jedi Training Academy or meet-and-greets or something like that.

Absolutely. Truth be told, I just want any new shows to be great because I don't really expect them to be. Not at the level of a Aladdin, at least.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually like California Screamin' more than RnR. I wouldn't mind a rebrand but the track itself is just "okay". Launch is great but that's all I really like about it.

aparisi2274

A couple totally new rides would be nice. The Aerosmith coaster is the last big new thing they've put in the park and that's 15 years old.

I know the Star Tours upgrade was practically a new ride but that's not adding to your ride count.

I think Toy Story Mania could be considered a "big" thing... but I know what you mean...

I wouldnt mind if they somehow took the ride system from Radiator springs racer in DCA and converted it into a star wars speeder bike ride for DHS.

I also wouldn't mind a proper motion ride, like what Uni does, something to really get guests into the park..

Hell, I wouldn't mind them knocking down Aerosmith and using the reclaimed space for a new coaster, something that would really knock the socks off people.....

I doubt it. MK is open until 11pm, midnight some other days... You can't keep AK open late, because the crowds and noise would mess with the animal's sleep schedule...

Same goes for other parks with a safari, namely Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ. Their safari closes at like 6 or 7pm, while the park is open until 11pm or so, but they are far enough apart from each other, that the ride noises and lights do not mess with the animals.

I think they'll figure something out. The Savannah is larger than the Magic Kingdom. They're already doing the Harambe Nights events right outside the entrance of the Safari and there have been rumors of a night safari (sans animals) for a while as well. There's really nothing over that way besides the Safari and Festival of the Lion King.

Animal Kingdom really dicked over the other parks. Just imagine Animal Kingdom never happening and Epcot getting Dinosaur in Future World, Everest and Kali River Rapids in Asia, etc...

WDW is juggling too many balls now. It's stunting growth.

I would really love to see Hollywood Studios and California Adventure (NOT TOMORROWLAND) get a Star Wars Land. Hopefully before 2024 but at the rate Disney is going...;

SmithnCo

I would really love to see Hollywood Studios and California Adventure (NOT TOMORROWLAND) get a Star Wars Land. Hopefully before 2024 but at the rate Disney is going...;

Yeah, Hollywood really needs a shot in the arm eventually. I'm a little bitter that Avatarland is their next big project but AK did need something.

So they do shit, and late shit, and people still go in mass, thats not good for anyone.
We need competition, we need normal people to react to this things and say, well, "maybe I come back to disney when they decide to do something new and good"

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually like California Screamin' more than RnR. I wouldn't mind a rebrand but the track itself is just "okay". Launch is great but that's all I really like about it.

California Screamin shits all over RnR. Is fun, is long, is original... in fact, is probably one of my favourite rollercoasters. I love the music, love the better victorian fairgorund theming when they made DCA good (instead of the shitty 90's californian beach fair), I would probably add a little bit more theming to the queue, and an animatronic of a barbershop quartet guy inside a gazebo just next to the launch zone that goes with Neil Patrick Harris' voice, and cracks some jokes now and then (or tires to sell things) to the crowd watching launch just like mr potato in Midway Mania. That would be magnificent, never gonna happen though.
And have I already said how much I love the ride on music. Love the fairground flair it has when it goes up the climbs and in the itnro and outro. And the part in 1:42 when the bunny hops start is just epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppB_3rTMg0

zeemumu

California Screamin shits all over RnR. Is fun, is long, is original... in fact, is probably one of my favourite rollercoasters. I love the music, love the better victorian fairgorund theming when they made DCA good (instead of the shitty 90's californian beach fair), I would probably add a little bit more theming to the queue, and an animatronic of a barbershop quartet guy inside a gazebo just next to the launch zone that goes with Neil Patrick Harris' voice, and cracks some jokes now and then (or tires to sell things) to the crowd watching launch just like mr potato in Midway Mania. That would be magnificent, never gonna happen though.
And have I already said how much I love the ride on music. Love the fairground flair it has when it goes up the climbs and in the itnro and outro. And the part in 1:42 when the bunny hops start is just epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppB_3rTMg0

California Screamin was my second loop rollercoaster (first was some rollercoaster in Legoland, I think). I'm surprised how short the line always is, considering its popularity.

Yeah, Hollywood really needs a shot in the arm eventually. I'm a little bitter that Avatarland is their next big project but AK did need something.

Avatar seems like a really weird property to spend so much space, money and time on when you have basically nothing for the most iconic franchise in American history. And marvel, but i guess they can't do anything with those characters in Florida

Top Bottom