• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

aparisi2274

Yup, it was going to be "actual size" too. Instead, we got Star Trek Experience at the old Las Vegas Hilton which closed down a few years ago, unfortunately.

That Star Trek experience was cool, but it had to close... It no longer fit with the direction that Vegas was headed, which is all chic boutique style hotels and upscale clubs and restaurants for the 20 something crowd. In the 90's when ST opened, Vegas was all about the family, and every hotel had some sort of ride or arcade or something to bring in the family (ie. hotels like Excalibur, NYNY, Luxor all had a theme that I bet they wish they could change now).

Just saw this on my facebook feed. A 20 minute tour through diagon alley.
Holy smokes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYjFfV0oN_U&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, thats been floating around for a bit... I am holding off on watching it, because I want to be surprised when I see it for the first time.

Ok, I have a dilemma.

I'm going to Universal Orlando tomorrow without early entry. I can get there as early as possible, but I don't have a plan. These are the options I came up with (I'm going alone btw):

A. Hit IoA at open. Hit Spidey, Hulk, Dragons, FJ, HE to USF, MiB, TF, and whatever else. I'm expecting that all of these except FJ should basically be walk ons. Downside is that Gringotts might not happen easily with this plan.

B. Hit USF at open. Hopefully ride Gringotts without waiting an eternity. After that...I really don't know. If Gringotts takes a while, the lines will be built up for everything else when I'm done. I haven't ridden Gringotts though, so the option is still viable. Worth it?

Edit-Plan C could be to hit everything in USF except Diagon, then ride HE to IoA and hit everything there, saving Diagon for late in the day. I'm aware that the Gringotts queue shuts down 2-3 hours before closing.

Thoughts?

aparisi2274

Ok, I have a dilemma.

I'm going to Universal Orlando tomorrow without early entry. I can get there as early as possible, but I don't have a plan. These are the options I came up with (I'm going alone btw):

A. Hit IoA at open. Hit Spidey, Hulk, Dragons, FJ, HE to USF, MiB, TF, and whatever else. I'm expecting that all of these except FJ should basically be walk ons. Downside is that Gringotts might not happen easily with this plan.

B. Hit USF at open. Hopefully ride Gringotts without waiting an eternity. After that...I really don't know. If Gringotts takes a while, the lines will be built up for everything else when I'm done. I haven't ridden Gringotts though, so the option is still viable. Worth it?

Edit-Plan C could be to hit everything in USF except Diagon, then ride HE to IoA and hit everything there, saving Diagon for late in the day. I'm aware that the Gringotts queue shuts down 2-3 hours before closing.

Thoughts?

Go with B. See how long the queue is when you get there, and if its crazy long that early, modify plan B to be plan A.

If the line for gringotts isn't that bad, then you'll get to ride the newest offering they have.

brerwolfe

Also consider that the single rider line is significantly shorter than the regular line.

A friend of mine went last week in the evening, during the week. Said he made it to the loading area within an hour but then the ride broke down and he waited another 90 minutes. My point being, didn't take him support long to get there in the standard line, maybe you'll only wait an hour as a single rider.

Good luck!

Welp, I overslept so I'm heading over now and should be at CityWalk in five minutes. Gonna head to Diagon and see if there's standby or not. Prolly won't bother now if there is.

Good news is that I can try again tomorrow :D

Just got into singles for Gringotts. Walked right into DA. I'm right under where the lower white ceiling starts. Hopefully won't be too long.

Edit-they just announced that capacity is reduced. I'm almost to the goggles, though. Isn't it just some stairs after this?

Edit 2-now I'm standing in a dark hallway past the goggles. Hearing rumbles. Thinking the stairs are after this

Thoughts about Gringotts

-most scene transitions are far faster than I thought. Specifically, that sumbitch really takes off from the station. Music really adds a lot here.

-drop and teeter totter effect were really fun. I was in row 5. I don't think I'll ever ride in the front car by choice.
-spinning was fun and very tasteful overall

-finale wasn't as intense as I was expecting, but still fun

-motion base sections aren't too intense. I would have liked a bit more rockin and rollin.

-this is my biggest surprise: the sound clarity. Often I feel the dialogue on TF/Spidey can become muddled but everything was crystal clear here.

-the ride simply feels short even though it's objectively on par with Spidey/TF/FJ. There aren't many scenes but each scene is pretty long, plus the transitions are pretty long. Not sure if this is the ride's fault or mine for taking it this way.

-prolly in my top 3 with Spidey/TF

More as I think of them

aparisi2274

Thoughts about Gringotts

-most scene transitions are far faster than I thought. Specifically, that sumbitch really takes off from the station. Music really adds a lot here.

-drop and teeter totter effect were really fun. I was in row 5. I don't think I'll ever ride in the front car by choice.

-spinning was fun and very tasteful overall

-finale wasn't as intense as I was expecting, but still fun

-motion base sections aren't too intense. I would have liked a bit more rockin and rollin.

-this is my biggest surprise: the sound clarity. Often I feel the dialogue on TF/Spidey can become muddled but everything was crystal clear here.

-the ride simply feels short even though it's objectively on par with Spidey/TF/FJ. There aren't many scenes but each scene is pretty long, plus the transitions are pretty long. Not sure if this is the ride's fault or mine for taking it this way.

-prolly in my top 3 with Spidey/TF

More as I think of them

you might want to edit this and spoler some of this... like for instance, I did not want to know that there was a
drop and or teeter totter
effect on the ride....

No worries.. I had heard rumblings on those aspects, but nothing was ever concrete...

If it helps, I knew it was coming and the sensation still surprised the hell out me. It really breaks the rules just like Spidey jumping on the car. You won't be disappointed :)

What's up with Gringotts? Wait was 240 min when I got here about 3 hours ago and now it's only 120. Odd.

Also, I rode again and got in the front car. Definitely go for the back car if possible. I did get to ride in the third row though..the stadium seating is so pronounced that my feet weren't touching the floor unless I tilted them forward. I'm 5'10 btw.

Just had lunch at Leaky. The cottage pie (basically a veggie need pot pie with mashed potato crust) is amazing and the ingredients are pretty modest.

Only done Gringotts twice so far but I'm having a blast. Currently waiting for single rider to open again.

Edit- open!

Got two more rides on Gringotts :D

Our car got confused and was facing the wrong way toward the end of my third ride, so they let us get back on. The visuals on row 4 are pretty nuts. I'd say row 4 and 6 are the best overall.

SmithnCo

Woo, the ride was really cool. Wait said 120 minutes but I clocked it at 60.

I'm most impressed with the theming in Diagon, they really nailed it. Knockturn is awesome.

How was it?

Train is neat, good way to go between parks because air conditioning and comfy seats. Screens are cool too, there are rainy scenes on both ways which I like.

Woo, the ride was really cool. Wait said 120 minutes but I clocked it at 60.

For Gringotts, did you
get any water effects in the free fall scene or fog at the end? I rode five times today and didn't get either. It would release just a bit of fog, but it always dissipated before the screen pulled back. No water to speak of

Might head back tomorrow and give it another try. That effect in the finale really makes the scene work...sucks when it isn't firing off.

SmithnCo

For Gringotts, did you
get any water effects in the free fall scene or fog at the end? I rode five times today and didn't get either. It would release just a bit of fog, but it always dissipated before the screen pulled back. No water to speak of

Might head back tomorrow and give it another try. That effect in the finale really makes the scene work...sucks when it isn't firing off.

I got no water, I did get fog but I'm not sure what the normal fog amount is. A decent amount before the end takeoff.

I want to go back in a couple weeks and hopefully get a better look around Diagon. It was just too damn hot out there today.

I got no water, I did get fog but I'm not sure what the normal fog amount is. A decent amount before the end takeoff.

I want to go back in a couple weeks and hopefully get a better look around Diagon. It was just too damn hot out there today.

From the POVs I've seen,
there should be enough fog that you'll only see the very top of the screen pull away, and it's supposed to linger until you launch through it.

Yeah, that sun was killer today. Rain for an hour or so would have been nice. Think there's a better chance for rain tomorrow.

SmithnCo

From the POVs I've seen,
there should be enough fog that you'll only see the very top of the screen pull away, and it's supposed to linger until you launch through it.

Yeah, that sun was killer today. Rain for an hour or so would have been nice. Think there's a better chance for rain tomorrow.

Ah, I didn't get enough fog then, it wasn't enough to mask the screen pulling away. More fog there would definitely be an improvement.

brerwolfe

How was it?

If you were asking about the train, I thought it was cute. Nothing crazy or groundbreaking, but it's a nice treat.

They could've had nothing at all, but I prefer this.

My one gripe about the experience is how long it takes to walk the queue from the front of King's Cross to the actual Hogwarts Express. I only rode it on the grand opening day, but the actual wait once I got to the train was less than 5 minutes, I think. Kind of a silly walk to get there for such a short experience.

I was talking about Gringotts lol. But yeah, the train is alright.

Gonna head over again in about an hour. Might start at IoA for coasters first since there's a decent chance for rain later.

SmithnCo

The train is like a comfier monorail. I probably won't ride it again for the hell of it, but it will be nice for going between parks.

aparisi2274

I'm kinda glad I can't make it to FL this year... gives Uni time to work out all the kinks on Gringotts!

I remember going on Spiderman when it first opened, and it would break down constantly...

I'm kinda glad I can't make it to FL this year... gives Uni time to work out all the kinks on Gringotts!

I remember going on Spiderman when it first opened, and it would break down constantly...

If the finale effect keeps up, Gringotts is definitely getting there. There are two very small effects that are off (and they've been off for four days...Gringotts ride count: 12 lol), and capacity is still low (I read that they're running 6 out of 9 possible trains). Hopefully it won't be much longer until it's 100%.

On the other hand, Transformers' fog effects following the simulated flight scene have been down for at least a month. I actually just emailed them about these effects lol. I've literally seen downed effects on Spider-Man (Spider-Signal, prop ladder, fireball) back up and running on the next day, and even in the same day. Why these effects aren't functioning is baffling...Universal's ride effects team has always been on top of things. Whatever response I get should be interesting.

aparisi2274

If the finale effect keeps up, Gringotts is definitely getting there. There are two very small effects that are off (and they've been off for four days...Gringotts ride count: 12 lol), and capacity is still low (I read that they're running 6 out of 9 possible trains). Hopefully it won't be much longer until it's 100%.

On the other hand, Transformers' fog effects following the simulated flight scene have been down for at least a month. I actually just emailed them about these effects lol. I've literally seen downed effects on Spider-Man (Spider-Signal, prop ladder, fireball) back up and running on the next day, and even in the same day. Why these effects aren't functioning is baffling...Universal's ride effects team has always been on top of things. Whatever response I get should be interesting.

When I was there last Oct (Oct 13), all effects on Transformers and Spiderman were working (as far as I could tell), and out of the 8 consecutive rides on Forbidden Journey, it only broke down once and the lights came on, which sucked for people who were riding it for the first time...

Xun

I always thought what Disney were doing with WDW was bad, but what they've just done to New Orleans Square in Disneyland is an absolute mess.

Before:

08-04-14-DSC_9829.jpg

After:

08-04-14-DSC_5325.jpg

Before:

08-04-14-DSC_3813.jpg

After:

07-21-14-DSC_1920.jpg

There's more here:

http://micechat.com/76343-adventure-trading-company-disneyland/

Granted it may not all be finished, but I really don't think it's far off.

muteki

I always thought what Disney were doing with WDW was bad, but what they've just done to New Orleans Square in Disneyland is an absolute mess.

There's more here:

Shows you where their priorities are.

On another topic, it is interesting seeing progress on the subs when I was reading elsewhere that this refurb wasn't a refurb. It would be great as a 20k fan to ride them again.

aparisi2274

There's more here:

Wow... I was there in June and they had the faux front walls up, and I was curious what they were doing...

man they really screwed the pooch with that refurb.

There's more here:

I suppose thats becuase there are restaurants inside.
FFS disney, stop shitting old (and better) theming only to gain a little more money.

Top Bottom