• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Goldrusher

Last track piece installed on Lightning, the new record-breaking Mack in Xianyang, China.

11908939_1460850257553701_224533234020455370_o.jpg

11864904_1460846870887373_8415778546233029102_o.jpg

11896476_1460850254220368_2562758006958441840_o.jpg

11891870_1460850227553704_6836527432739990899_o.jpg

bd3c1106jw1ev10l4e13gj20no0vkq8d.jpg

That's a 50 m tall loop. 164 American feet.

previous record holders:

49 m / 160 ft ... (2013) Full Throttle, Six Flags Magic Mountain
45 m / 145 ft ... (2000) Superman, Six Flags Fiesta Texas
38 m / 124 ft ... (1998) Riddler's Revenge, Six Flags Magic Mountain

thefro

announcement appears to be a 7 story water slide, oh boy...

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/what-s-new/2016-news/?mobile=0

Kings Island announced on August 19th a major expansion to its Soak City Waterpark for the 2016 season with the addition of Tropical Plunge, a complex of six different water slide experiences towering nearly seven stories.

Three of the slides on the 65-foot tall complex will start with guests climbing inside an Aqua-Launch chamber where they will wait anxiously for the floor to drop out from underneath their feet, sending them into a high-speed, almost vertical free fall through a series of flat loops and S-curves in a translucent flume.

Tropical Plunge also features a slide that will send riders twisting and spiraling through an enclosed chute featuring four intense 360-degree loops across 449 feet of slide before they’re released out into a pool of water and dueling 337-foot long tube slides that zip riders through an enchanting series of drops and turns.

ito007

I think it's a good addition to the park. Not too sexy, but it's got some more advanced slide tech and adds more thrill to that side of the park. Good move imo. Next year in expecting something a little bigger though

That awkward moment when a ride shuts down due to nearby lightning right when you get to the end of the line

Ripsaw Falls, and the single rider line was empty...GAHHHH

So Universal Orlando fucked up and accidentally sent out emails prematurely announcing a Fast and Furious ride for 2017. Disaster will be closing in September, and Beetlejuice will close after HHN. As such, the ride will be going in the San Francisco area of the park. The ride is said to be "all new", and the San Francisco location suggests that it won't be the same as Hollywood's. So many new attractions at UOR...

zeemumu

So Universal Orlando fucked up and accidentally sent out emails prematurely announcing a Fast and Furious ride for 2017. Disaster will be closing in September, and Beetlejuice will close after HHN. As such, the ride will be going in the San Francisco area of the park. The ride is said to be "all new", and the San Francisco location suggests that it won't be the same as Hollywood's. So many new attractions at UOR...

You ever notice that Universal Orlando just tends to take attractions from the studio tour and make larger versions of them?

I just wish Hollywood had the room to make expanded versions themselves :(.

Hopefully they save all of their spare space for Nintendo ;)

Side note - I would wager that announcing F&F for 2017 implicitly confirms Nintendo or Marvel (Avengers) for 2018. Infinity War has a part in 2018 and 2019 IIRC, so holding off on Marvel for 2019 wouldn't be too much of a loss, I think. I just want Nintendo, dammit!

thefro

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/fast-furious-ride/

Blog post is up now

zeemumu

I just wish Hollywood had the room to make expanded versions themselves :(.

There's some stuff on that tour that they could easily tear down and replace, like the original Fast and the Furious event that they built to advertise Tokyo Drift. The set is still there, but the doors remain closed and its not on the tram route. Same goes for the bridge event. That bridge has been broken for ages and really only serves as a setpiece for Kong 360 3D now. They're doing some stuff with the soundstages that border the lower lot so there's a possibility of something going on down there. Springfield and the under-construction Wizarding World of Harry Potter take up a hilarious amount of the upper lot, and they're still constructing another parking structure to deal with the coming horde of people that the new area will attract. If Fast and Furious on the tram spiked attendance that much, I'd hate to be there on opening day for Harry Potter.

Nelo Ice

Banned
There's some stuff on that tour that they could easily tear down and replace, like the original Fast and the Furious event that they built to advertise Tokyo Drift. The set is still there, but the doors remain closed and its not on the tram route. Same goes for the bridge event. That bridge has been broken for ages and really only serves as a setpiece for Kong 360 3D now. They're doing some stuff with the soundstages that border the lower lot so there's a possibility of something going on down there. Springfield and the under-construction Wizarding World of Harry Potter take up a hilarious amount of the upper lot, and they're still constructing another parking structure to deal with the coming horde of people that the new area will attract. If Fast and Furious on the tram spiked attendance that much, I'd hate to be there on opening day for Harry Potter.

Well glad to hear they have some breathing room for expansion. And as for the bolded, I am so glad I already experienced HP land in Orlando. Opening day or hell the opening months are going to be an absolute madhouse.

Hmm shame I actually liked the Disaster ride. Any idea on what the F&F movie ride is going to be like?

A respected poster on the Orlando United forum is basically saying to expect the worst and that it will basically be Hollywood's ride experience with a greatly expanded queue. I don't know. The press release made it sound like it would be all new, or new enough to be considered a traditional USF "expanded version of a USH tram segment" ride.

A respected poster on the Orlando United forum is basically saying to expect the worst and that it will basically be Hollywood's ride experience with a greatly expanded queue. I don't know. The press release made it sound like it would be all new, or new enough to be considered a traditional USF "expanded version of a USH tram segment" ride.

This would be heart-breaking, given how great of a streak USO has been on. I'd hate to lose 2 rides for one sub-par one.

zeemumu

Knott's had its official unveiling event for Halloween Haunt last night. Among the things announced was apparently the return of live actors in the Calico Mine Train Ride.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Went to Universal Orlando to ride Disaster! and Hulk before they closed on Sept. 8. Hulk is still an awesome ride, but it's also seen better days. Hopefully they work out the rough spots and add new trains along with the new story they have planned. Disaster! is really fun and unlike anything else in the park. Love the cheesy story with Christopher Walken, The Rock, and Lonnie. The guest interaction really makes the ride, and the final earthquake scene still has some nice practical effects. I'll be pretty bummed if The Fast & Furious ends up being just another screen-based ride like most of the attractions at Universal. They should have closed Twister instead.

And I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but Universal's metal detectors on their major rollercoasters is a pretty bad system. They force everyone to empty all pockets and put your items in a locker before you can even enter the line. You get a certain amount of locker time for free (usually a little more than the posted wait time). And then you can wait in line, ride the attraction and retrieve your belongings after you're done. But as I saw on my visit several times, it doesn't always work very smoothly.
  • Lockers for Dragon Challenge were completely full when we tried to ride, forcing one of our party to stay behind to hold everyone's keys and wallets. I suspect people know these lockers are free for a time, and use them even if they're not riding the rollercoasters.
  • The metal detectors create a large bottleneck at the beginning of each line because the employees have to stop everyone and explain that they can't have even a single penny in their pockets. There's another bottleneck once you get to the actual detectors as they motion people through slowly in a single file. And if it detects anything they'll make you put your hands up, and use a handheld detector to see if you're hiding anything. It's a little like going through airport security, but not as stringent.
  • If the line ends up being longer than expected (for example, you wait for the front seat), once you get back to your locker there's a chance your free time will be out and they'll expect you to pay. The problem is that most people placed their wallets inside the locker. So what do they pay with? We witnessed one woman having to describe the items of her locker to a Universal employee to prove it was infact her locker so she could pay the fee and get her stuff back.

Overall it just seems like a poorly thought out system. Hopefully it's temporary and they're working on something better. Or at the very least, if they're going to be this insistent on guests having nothing in their pockets then they should duel Dragon Challenge again. There's zero chance of the 2011 accident happening again with the safety precautions they're taking.

Metal detectors are indeed awful. They also robbed us of the glorious re-ride line for Dragon Challenge.

I've always had enough time on the free lockers, barring ride delays. If something goes wrong, I would explain it to be locker attendant to see if they'll comp the fee.

Hulk is still a great ride, but a bit rough, yeah. The assumed retracking and new trains should hopefully sort that out.

Went to Universal Orlando to ride Disaster! and Hulk before they closed on Sept. 8. Hulk is still an awesome ride, but it's also seen better days. Hopefully they work out the rough spots and add new trains along with the new story they have planned. Disaster! is really fun and unlike anything else in the park. Love the cheesy story with Christopher Walken, The Rock, and Lonnie. The guest interaction really makes the ride, and the final earthquake scene still has some nice practical effects. I'll be pretty bummed if The Fast & Furious ends up being just another screen-based ride like most of the attractions at Universal. They should have closed Twister instead.

And I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but Universal's metal detectors on their major rollercoasters is a pretty bad system. They force everyone to empty all pockets and put your items in a locker before you can even enter the line. You get a certain amount of locker time for free (usually a little more than the posted wait time). And then you can wait in line, ride the attraction and retrieve your belongings after you're done. But as I saw on my visit several times, it doesn't always work very smoothly.
  • Lockers for Dragon Challenge were completely full when we tried to ride, forcing one of our party to stay behind to hold everyone's keys and wallets. I suspect people know these lockers are free for a time, and use them even if they're not riding the rollercoasters.
  • The metal detectors create a large bottleneck at the beginning of each line because the employees have to stop everyone and explain that they can't have even a single penny in their pockets. There's another bottleneck once you get to the actual detectors as they motion people through slowly in a single file. And if it detects anything they'll make you put your hands up, and use a handheld detector to see if you're hiding anything. It's a little like going through airport security, but not as stringent.
  • If the line ends up being longer than expected (for example, you wait for the front seat), once you get back to your locker there's a chance your free time will be out and they'll expect you to pay. The problem is that most people placed their wallets inside the locker. So what do they pay with? We witnessed one woman having to describe the items of her locker to a Universal employee to prove it was infact her locker so she could pay the fee and get her stuff back.

Overall it just seems like a poorly thought out system. Hopefully it's temporary and they're working on something better. Or at the very least, if they're going to be this insistent on guests having nothing in their pockets then they should duel Dragon Challenge again. There's zero chance of the 2011 accident happening again with the safety precautions they're taking.

I hope when i go there (lets hope in less than 2 years) that system is out becuase it sounds trully awful. Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea? And why was it implemented? To stop the people recording with their cameras the rides? BEcuase someone was hit with a flying object?

I hope when i go there (lets hope in less than 2 years) that system is out becuase it sounds trully awful. Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea? And why was it implemented? To stop the people recording with their cameras the rides? BEcuase someone was hit with a flying object?

Probably a kneejerk reaction from the legal department. No other coaster in the country has metal detectors, and there are plenty that go above guest pathways.

Hip Hop

I'll most likely be in the San Diego area around October and have always wanted to go to to a Halloween themed attraction. Anyone that's visited these areas before like Magic Mountain, Hollywood Studios, or Knott's know what the best of the best for someone that has never visited those sites before? For Halloween themes.

zeemumu

I'll most likely be in the San Diego area around October and have always wanted to go to to a Halloween themed attraction. Anyone that's visited these areas before like Magic Mountain, Hollywood Studios, or Knott's know what the best of the best for someone that has never visited those sites before? For Halloween themes.

Oh boy, this is my subject!

Knott's is probably the least expensive, and it's actually pretty good. They've been doing it a long time so they've had some experience. Most if not all of the rides are open and there are a lot of mazes. If you're only gonna be there for one night and don't mind paying the extra money, maybe get a front of the line pass for later on when the night gets more packed.

Magic Mountain is a little meh. I don't remember there being a whole lot going on. Spent most of the time on rollercoasters. Plus it's really far out of the way, especially if you're coming all the way from San Diego. What is that, like a 3-4 hour drive? Granted, with everyone back in school the park might be more dead (no pun intended) than it has been these past few months.

Universal Studios, being a movie studio, probably has the most visually impressive mazes of any of the parks. They utilize the backlot and put a few mazes in there, plus the terror tram, where they drive you out to the backlot sets and make you walk back. This year's theme for that is The Purge. The downsides are that, compared to Orlando, they don't utilize the scarezones very well, and later into the night the lines will get pretty long because it's a very small park so there's not a lot of space to spread people out into. Again, a front of the line pass would probably fix this problem as well.

And Disneyland is Halloween'd up for kids. Trick or Treating and costumes and a Halloween parade and whatnot. And the Haunted Mansion becomes Haunted Mansion Holiday (Nightmare Before Christmas) and Space Mountain becomes Ghost Galaxy.

My personal favorite is Knotts due to the sheer amount of mazes that they have (11 counting the Calico Mine Ride, which they've supposedly added real people back into again this year) and pretty good scareactors with Universal coming in at 2nd because special effects. And pick which day you're going to go carefully. Weekends are gonna be the busiest and you don't want to get stuck in line.

Some articles/sites with more info

Knotts

Six Flags

Universal Studios

aparisi2274

So the new Six Flags Great Adventure coaster for 2016 leaked ahead of its Sept 3rd announcement.

Ride is called Total Mayhem, and its a 4D free flying coaster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irLQnpS0VFc&feature=youtu.be

Personally, I am not a fan of these 4D Free flyers... I'd rather have a proper coaster with X2 style vehicles ...

This new coaster, does look interesting and I am curious to see if its the same footprint as the Batman 4d free flyer or a bigger version of it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So the new Six Flags Great Adventure coaster for 2016 leaked ahead of its Sept 3rd announcement.

Ride is called Total Mayhem, and its a 4D free flying coaster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irLQnpS0VFc&feature=youtu.be

Personally, I am not a fan of these 4D Free flyers... I'd rather have a proper coaster with X2 style vehicles ...

This new coaster, does look interesting and I am curious to see if its the same footprint as the Batman 4d free flyer or a bigger version of it.

Seriously, looking at wikipedia there are only 3 X2 style coasters in the world. I would absolutely love if there were more of them. X2 is like my favorite coaster.

Hip Hop

Oh boy, this is my subject!

Knott's is probably the least expensive, and it's actually pretty good. They've been doing it a long time so they've had some experience. Most if not all of the rides are open and there are a lot of mazes. If you're only gonna be there for one night and don't mind paying the extra money, maybe get a front of the line pass for later on when the night gets more packed.

Magic Mountain is a little meh. I don't remember there being a whole lot going on. Spent most of the time on rollercoasters. Plus it's really far out of the way, especially if you're coming all the way from San Diego. What is that, like a 3-4 hour drive? Granted, with everyone back in school the park might be more dead (no pun intended) than it has been these past few months.

Universal Studios, being a movie studio, probably has the most visually impressive mazes of any of the parks. They utilize the backlot and put a few mazes in there, plus the terror tram, where they drive you out to the backlot sets and make you walk back. This year's theme for that is The Purge. The downsides are that, compared to Orlando, they don't utilize the scarezones very well, and later into the night the lines will get pretty long because it's a very small park so there's not a lot of space to spread people out into. Again, a front of the line pass would probably fix this problem as well.

And Disneyland is Halloween'd up for kids. Trick or Treating and costumes and a Halloween parade and whatnot. And the Haunted Mansion becomes Haunted Mansion Holiday (Nightmare Before Christmas) and Space Mountain becomes Ghost Galaxy.

My personal favorite is Knotts due to the sheer amount of mazes that they have (11 counting the Calico Mine Ride, which they've supposedly added real people back into again this year) and pretty good scareactors with Universal coming in at 2nd because special effects. And pick which day you're going to go carefully. Weekends are gonna be the busiest and you don't want to get stuck in line.

Some articles/sites with more info

Knotts

Six Flags

Universal Studios

Thank you for the write up. I had been eyeing Knotts for a bit since it is the largest with the event and closest to SD. Having rides open is another plus!
But wow, that will be a lot to take in. Is it doable in that time? And no kidding, the date of when will have to visit will be right on Halloween, the 31st. So I'm guessing everything will be extra packed that day lol. I guess that Front of the line pass would come in handy.

We'll have to talk it over, but I'm thinking Knotts will be it for now. Looks like a really good value compared to others with all the stuff they are doing. The price is also not bad at all.

EDIT:
I guess the 29th could also be an option. It's a Thursday so that might give us a better chance with the crowds. Those effects do sound better than knotts. The price for GA to Hollywood studios horror night drops from $80 to $65. And the time stays the same from 7pm to 2 am, where as Knotts is 7pm to 1 am on that Thursday. But Knotts is also $40 that day. Decisions...

Goldrusher

New stuff for every Six Flags in 2016

https://www.sixflags.com/national/new-2016

SF America: new slides at the water park
SF Discovery Kingdom: RMC-conversion of Roar
SF Fiesta Texas: Larson Fire Ball + DiskO + another flat ride
SF Great Adventure: S&S Free-Fly Coaster
SF Great America: "Battle for Metropolis" dark ride
SF Magic Mountain: new lapbar-only trains for the Revolution
SF Mexico: "Battle for Metropolis" dark ride
SF New England: Larson Fire Ball + Bizarro back to Superman
SF over Georgia: a new "DC Super Friends" kids area + new rides for "Bugs Bunny Boomtown"
SF over Texas: 3 new flat rides
SF St Louis: Larson Fire Ball
La Ronde: 2 new flat rides + Vampire backwards
The Great Escape: Larson Fire Ball
White Water Atlanta: new slides

The best ones:

The Joker at Discovery Kingdom
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1629028#p1629028

New trains for the Revolution at Magic Mountain!
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1629040#p1629040

Total Mayhem at Great Adventure
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1629015#p1629015

Well, tomorrow im going to Parque Warner Madrid. Its going to be my 5th time I think, but I havent been there since 2011 or something like that. Still, nothing has changed there (in fact it has one less ride that when I went, a batman simulator).
Is basically a Warne Bros Movie World build in Spain by Six Flags on 2002, but they exit from it in 2004, and various shitty companies have been carrying the park since then, the last one being a company called Parques Reunidos, that have various low amusement parks and zoos.

Going with some friends that never visited, so they are going to have a great time, if only for the coasters.
It has Superman La Atraccion de Acero, that is a floorless B&M. The coaster is great and one of the most fun floorless in the world (its great that it doesnt have any mid section brake whatsoever).
Theres also Stuntfall, a Giant Inverted Boomerang from Vekoma. I dont really like Vekoma but I find Stuntfall super fun and great. Its also the second gen of GIB (its opening was postponed becuase of the errors the first gen had), so it works better than the first ones from the states.
And then theres Batman La Fuga, thast nothing more than a B&M steel inverted clone that you can see at multiple six flags. But is fun, and even more if its your first time.
Theres also Coaster Express, the biggest european woodie done by the now defunct Roller Coaster Corporation of America (known by the infamous Son of a Beast). Its a rough woodie, but not that bad.

Ive read in some forums that while they have fixed, painted decorations and clean all around the park, what makes it more pleasurable to the eyes, the majority of shows and street performances are horrible. Ive seen the Batman 75th anniversary one on a youtube video, and its SHIT of the highest caliber. Even more if you compare it to the one based on Batman TAS when the park opened, that was great.

Theres a rumour circulating that they are going to bring a Justice League dark ride clone like some of the six flags are going to have, for 2016 or maybe 2017. At last something new in this park.

Gonna try to do some photos and post them here. Im also staying at Madrid witht he family, so maybe I can also go one day to Parque de Atracciones de Madrid, were ive never been, and it has some cool coasters to try for the first time.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
A few nice additions for Six Flags. I'm glad they've found success with the RMC conversions. I haven't had a chance to ride one yet, but they look incredible. Still hoping they come down to Tampa and give Gwazi some love.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Well, tomorrow im going to Parque Warner Madrid. Its going to be my 5th time I think, but I havent been there since 2011 or something like that. Still, nothing has changed there (in fact it has one less ride that when I went, a batman simulator).
Is basically a Warne Bros Movie World build in Spain by Six Flags on 2002, but they exit from it in 2004, and various shitty companies have been carrying the park since then, the last one being a company called Parques Reunidos, that have various low amusement parks and zoos.

Going with some friends that never visited, so they are going to have a great time, if only for the coasters.

Enjoy! I love going with people who have never been to a park. Usually it ends up being a unique trip because their preferences differ from mine. Superman also looks like a really solid B&M design. It's rare for a looping B&M to have an airtime hill in place of a MCBR.

D-Pad

The RMC phase needs to blow over before Six Flags gets crazy and starts eyeing Georgia's two classic wooden coasters. I mean I doubt they'd touch them because they're such classics but they need to keep back another couple of miles with that shit.

Classic woodies for life.

Quadraxis

Those pictures of Taron really hype me up. Going there on the 4th of october with some people that have never been there, hope to see some updates then. Phantasialand always makes really nice attractions. Chiapas was glorious, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Cedar Point's 2016 project effectively leaked out this week. They're releasing an app on the day of the announcement that will presumably allow you to "experience" Valravn before it's built. The app was put up early on the Google Play store, and people peaked into the code and found presumably everything about the new coaster.

It's a 200+ft B&M Dive coaster. Pretty much just like everyone expected.

e27cbb172ae892069b7ae32cf150bd5b.jpg

a42c235c332b731ce2edc06689f436cc.jpg

a7104cb6868805862a931056d1c3dfec.jpg

4d741acdb1cc1bd11c12eec6b1b8e866.jpg

df994dfce73553ca7b35a2b6dab1bd91.jpg

e162e81ed873fc0bca10fc5f1d4494d8.jpg

Someone's guess as to where it will fit in at the park:

8de65726065d7ea3e15d773170335a9c.jpg

And someone created a coaster based on that in NoLimits 2. Unsure of how accurate it will end up being: https://youtu.be/0wMszR-4gNs

This was officially announced today:

223 feet tall, 3415 feet long, 3 inversions, 75 mph.

B-Dex

The Halloween decorations in Disneyland are just about up. Haunted Mansion's still closed for Nightmare Before Christmas refurb...

I wonder if they'll change it at all from last year.

They have to add something new every year. Otherwise they can't do Nb4C. Well that used to be the case anyways.

muteki

Frozen is replacing Aladdin at California Adventure.

2fFpjYi.gif

That sucks! That show, genie especially, was one of the highlights of my day when I went.

They had a similar genie character on one of the cruise ship's shows, which may still be around but wasn't as good as the Aladdin show at CA.

zeemumu

They have to add something new every year. Otherwise they can't do Nb4C. Well that used to be the case anyways.

They didn't change it last year. Well, the gingerbread house in the dining room changes every year, but I'm talking about actual change. The last big change that they made was to the elevator stretching room 2 years ago. They replaced the random Jack head with a stained glass window that morphs into halloween colors, then cracks to make a jack o lantern, then shatters to show Jack and Zero hanging out in the attic. They might add something new since this will be the first time that hatbox is there. Maybe they'll put the clown with the tear away face in his place and scar me for life.

Frozen is replacing Aladdin at California Adventure.

Yeah, heard about this. I have nothing against Frozen (aside from how overexposed it is) but damn do I love that show. I went to go see it with a friend on Tuesday. And while the Genie jokes are cringeworthy at times, he still gets a good chuckle out of me every now and again ("you look better from Jafar...heh heh...")

Top Bottom