• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Some small video tours with an imagineer of shangai disneyland in the D23 expo.
Tomorrowland
Tangled Fantasyland
Treasure cove

They also made Geroge Lucas, Johny Depp and Danny Elfman Disney Legends.
I can understand, a little, Geroge Lucas. But fucking Johny Depp? It gives a bad name to all who actually did real work for disney. And Danny Elfman? I like the guy but he is not actually known for doing music for disney, like the Shermans or X Atencio. Why the fuck hasnt Giacchino be a Disney Legend before this guy?

New Star Wars-themed areas confirmed for Disneyland and Walt Disney World at D23. Fourteen acres wide.

Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

SWL180055.jpg

zeemumu

More details can be found here:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-to-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-resorts/

I'm still not sure how I feel about a whole area based on Star Wars in Disneyland Park though.

Eh, it's not like they don't have areas based entirely on films already. That's what Fantasyland is after all. There's also A Bug's Land and Cars Land.

Then there's stuff like Harry Potter world, Dr Seuss land, and Marvel Land at Universal Studios that worked out well.

flyover

Finally. It's seemed like the entire left half of DHS has just been waiting for this. They can get rid of everything over there except Star Tours and Jedi Training, relocate The Muppets (or re-theme it, or just make it the lone non-Star-Wars oasis), and just redo that whole side of the park.

I don't even care much about Star Wars, and I'm excited to see what they'll do.

Xun

Eh, it's not like they don't have areas based entirely on films already. That's what Fantasyland is after all. There's also A Bug's Land and Cars Land.

Then there's stuff like Harry Potter world, Dr Seuss land, and Marvel Land at Universal Studios that worked out well.
It just almost seems sacrilegious to me in Disneyland.

Just my opinion.

Season of the Force will be a promotional transformation of Disneyland and Disney World. Disneyland's Space Mountain will be rethemed to Hyperspace Mountain, for example.

Also, this just in, Toy Story Land at Disney Hollywood Studios.

EDIT: It has a Slinky Dog rollercoaster.

minx

I can't tell if the Slinky Dog coaster is just a kiddie coaster or a D/E ticket.

Unfortunately is probably just this.

1__12__122.jpg

While it's absolutely great that DHS is getting two entire new lands I would have preferred a Pixar land with the Paris Ratatouille ride, a Monster Inc dark ride along with a Toy Story ride. Hopefully Toy Story land will prove me wrong.

Anjin M

Maybe in that space of land that they bought across the street?
Theory seems to be that they will relocate the backstage functions that are currently north of the park to the newly purchased land. That would free up a lot of space for a Star Wars Land. They don't have to tear down Toontown unless they want to.

zeemumu

Theory seems to be that they will relocate the backstage functions that are currently north of the park to the newly purchased land. That would free up a lot of space for a Star Wars Land. They don't have to tear down Toontown unless they want to.

Toontown has the highest photo potential in the park. People assume there isn't anything there because there's a bunch of kids rides (and Roger Rabbit) but it contains all of the characters' homes and it's where they're easiest to be found for photo opportunities. I don't think they'll be so quick to bulldoze Mickey's home to the ground.

minx

So far the only announced attractions being added to Toy Story Land is an alien saucers attraction, and a family-friednly coaster. I understand that DHS needed more kiddie friendly attractions but this seems worse than New Fantasy Land. No new E ticket. Also most likely won't be done until 2018 at the earliest by my guesses. Hopefully Star Wars Land is more promising. Not trying to be negative but it was rumored to be a 3 billion dollar expansion at DHS. Unless Star Wars adds two E ticket rides I don't see 3 billion.

New Soarin screen in 4k with 3D I hope? That ride is extremely disappointing right now. If the rumored avatar ride is like Soarin I hope it's more extreme movements like Simpsons at Universal.

Millennium Falcon ride more like Spider man and not another Star Tours please as well.

Stolen from "rteez" at disboards.

Star Wars
14 acre land coming to both DL and DHS
2 big attractions including the biggest disney has ever done. Millennium falcon and battle ride are the two rides.
Cantina confirmed
blue milk also coming
Sources are saying no sooner than 2020 opening
Jedi academy getting updated
Star wars launch bay coming to both DL and DHS
Star tours getting updated
hyperspace mountain coming to space mountain disneyland
new firework show coming to DHS
Star wars likely to have two rides plus more attractions due to the size of this land

Toy Story Land
11 acres
2 rides. Green alien ride similar to mater junkyard jamboree and slinky dog coaster

Other DHS observations and assumptions
even with the sizes of these lands there is more space available around where LMA and Muppets is. Its likely not everything was announced today. Lots of infrastructure work is coming to DHS. Name change will likely come closer to completion.

Epcot/DCA
Soarin around the world to debut in 2016

AK
Kilimanjaro Safaris will get extension, nighttime version and more animals (hyenas)
Rivers of light will use water, lights, and fire. The tree of life will have projections on it
Official avatar land name Pandora: land of Avatar
Flight of Passage is the name of banshee ride
no name for boat ride but it will be fluid, romantic and for families.

Video on of Slinky coaster doesn't look innovative at all. Does look to have great theaming since you are the size of the toys with giant shovels, etc around you. Looks rather lengthy as well which will be nice compared to Seven Dwarfs Train ride.

Xun

That's what Paris and Hong Kong have...

Slinky_Dog_Spin-1_0_Original.jpg

...but the artwork for Orlando clearly shows a proper coaster:

8_15_wdi_008_0.jpg
It certainly looks a lot better than the other Toy Story Lands in Paris and Hong Kong.

DHS needs more than just Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land though, so hopefully something gets announced shortly.

The park is in such a state that it needs to go through a makeover similar to DCA.

Toon Town will be destroyed.

Wait what? is this true?

Fuck disney.

EDIT. Just looked, only rumours and they have a lot of space behind of it and are relocating already those buildings.
Still I think is a horrible idea that would work much better thematically in California Adventure. How are they going to attatch thematically Star Tours land to the other lands of disneyland (a whole land for a single franchise is not what Disneyland is about)? It would work perfectly as theming goes just near to Tomorrowland (so you need to enter tomorrowland to get to star wars land so the impact lessen and it still feels to be part of the future), but the rumour says its behind Toontown or Fantasyland if they tear down toontown (lets hope not). That would be one of the worse theming clashes Disneyland will ever have. Maybe they have a underground tunnel that goes from Tomorrowland to Star Wars land, for me that would be a good option, if it wasnt logistically hard as you are making a bottleneck if you decide to build a long underground corridor.

Rumours heavily suggest this to be the case, yes.

Reading some sites, there enough positives leaving Toontown there for the decidng to not tearing it down. All the rumours right now I read by looking it up are "I heard this..." for 2014, or "I hate Toowntown I hope this is true".

Tregard

Soothsayer
Since D23 news came out and I was reminded of not only Star Wars Land & Toy Story Land but Avatar Land and the Hangar Bar. Put on top of this the rumoured Universal video game theme park stuff, and I am currently very very hyped about theme parks. Are there any other big rumours or news I should know about?

Also, do people have any strong feelings about Paramount London at the moment? I'm hoping they see how big of an IP Doctor Who is and decide to build a dedicated Doctor Who area (My second wish is Universal add it to their Islands of Adventure)

Xun

Reading some sites, there enough positives leaving Toontown there for the decidng to not tearing it down. All the rumours right now I read by looking it up are "I heard this..." for 2014, or "I hate Toowntown I hope this is true".
There is a lot of conflicting reports, but it seems to me that it's currently on the chopping block.

Hopefully it stays however.

Also, do people have any strong feelings about Paramount London at the moment? I'm hoping they see how big of an IP Doctor Who is and decide to build a dedicated Doctor Who area (My second wish is Universal add it to their Islands of Adventure)
I'm looking forward to it.

We desperately need a decently themed theme park in the UK.

Merlin have literally no competition over here, so their parks are a mess.

Anjin M

When asked about the location of Star Wars Land, @DisneylandToday tweeted,
Disneyland Today said:
@PaulYankees It's going to be in the Big Thunder Ranch area, inclusive of some backstage locations.
9:21pm - 15 Aug 15

I'm pretty sure that all of the Toontown rumors surfaced before we knew that the backstage functions could be moved off site. Which makes me think it was more speculation than anything. As it is, I will not miss Big Thunder Ranch.

Actually, looking at the concept art, it seems that what a natural looking area. Rock spires and trees will fit right into that area of the park.

Since D23 news came out and I was reminded of not only Star Wars Land & Toy Story Land but Avatar Land and the Hangar Bar. Put on top of this the rumoured Universal video game theme park stuff, and I am currently very very hyped about theme parks. Are there any other big rumours or news I should know about?

Universal Orlando keeps trucking along.

(see what I did there)

*Confirmed

-Cutting edge, ridiculously ambitious King Kong dark ride opening Summer 2016 (see above pic)

-Sapphire Falls on-site hotel opening Summer 2016

-Hulk Coaster getting a drastic refurbishment/reimagining, slated to reopen Summer 2016

-Volcano Bay themed water park with rumored 200 foot tall volcano opening Summer 2017

-Nintendo Land, of course. Should definitely be open before the end of 2019. 2018 is hopeful but totally possible given Universal's track record. Replacing Kidzone area in USF in all likelihood. RUMOR: Will focus on Mario, DK, Zelda, and Pokemon. Mario Kart ride very likely. Land may be opened in two phases, similar to Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

*Rumored

-Tonight Show simulator ride replacing Twister sometime in 2016/2017. Not too sold on the concept, but Twister already isn't great (sans Bill Paxton <3), and we should get some killer New York City facades out of it.

-Heavy rumors of a Fast and Furious ride for Universal Studios Florida (improved from Hollywood version). Likely 2017/2018.

-Harry Potter Ministry of Magic experience. Likely 2017/2018.

-And whatever else they feel like, because they're fucking Universal goddammit

caramac

Sucks for anyone that planned on riding over the holidays, but it's in need of some updating, so I'm actually pretty happy about this.

Perks of living two hours from Orlando!

Yeah, l know there's a fair few disappointed folk in the UK looking at various forums.
Even though the refurb has been rumored for a while l think the fact that its not due to re open until well into next year surprised a lot of people.

Yeah, l know there's a fair few disappointed folk in the UK looking at various forums.
Even though the refurb has been rumored for a while l think the fact that its not due to re open until well into next year surprised a lot of people.

Yeah. I think the original rumor was that the refurb would be in two phases, with a break around the Holidays. Someone on the Orlando United forum said it was a bit behind schedule, which may have been the cause for keeping it down the entire time.

Interesting tidbit from the same forum: Transformers was an 11 month job, and Hulk will supposedly be a 10 month job. They're going to be doing a crazy amount of work on it. Not sure if it holds any weight, but apparently someone leaked to Orlando Informer that Universal is looking at glasses-less 3D tech for the new queue. It would be a great first step for a technology that's ripe for exploitation in parks.

Yeah. I think the original rumor was that the refurb would be in two phases, with a break around the Holidays. Someone on the Orlando United forum said it was a bit behind schedule, which may have been the cause for keeping it down the entire time.

Interesting tidbit from the same forum: Transformers was an 11 month job, and Hulk will supposedly be a 10 month job. They're going to be doing a crazy amount of work on it. Not sure if it holds any weight, but apparently someone leaked to Orlando Informer that Universal is looking at glasses-less 3D tech for the new queue. It would be a great first step for a technology that's ripe for exploitation in parks.

Sounds pretty neat, if true. I loved the theming when I went many years ago, but it has not aged gracefully. Ride itself is pretty good, but it loses the thrill after riding it a few times. Hopefully this brings some new energy to the whole experience.

aparisi2274

They should do glasses free 3D in the Nintendo area... go for one big 3DS experience. hahahah

They should do glasses free 3D in the Nintendo area... go for one big 3DS experience. hahahah

I haven't really followed how the technology is progressing, but I have to think it'll get there eventually. Nintendo being 2018/2019 would give it a few more years to evolve at least. But yeah, that would have great synergy with the 3DS lol.

Walking Dead will never go away will it

not that I have any investment in HHN...but there's a lot of negativity around it in theme park communities I follow.

zeemumu

Walking Dead will never go away will it

not that I have any investment in HHN...but there's a lot of negativity around it in theme park communities I follow.

Doesn't seem like it. But I'm at least glad that it's just a house this year instead of a major theme or the theme of the terror tram. Also those houses are massive spoilers for anyone who isn't up to speed so I need to catch up.

Their mazes this year are actually pretty diverse. I'm excited for the Crimson Peak. It's based on the Del Toro movie so it's as close as I'll get to P.T.

Knott's also announced some stuff for their annual Halloween Haunt

Top Bottom