• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

I like the idea of bringing in new musicals but losing Aladdin is a huge loss. I'm intetested, but not looking forward to hearing people singing along.

zeemumu

I like the idea of bringing in new musicals but losing Aladdin is a huge loss. I'm intetested, but not looking forward to hearing people singing along.

We still have that, actually. For a little while, the Mad T Party area was completely revamped into a Frozen Land. Some of it is still there, including the Frozen sing-along theater. I don't think it's necessary to have both the sing along theater (which is displacing Muppets 3D) AND the stage show about 100ft from each other.

We still have that, actually. For a little while, the Mad T Party area was completely revamped into a Frozen Land. Some of it is still there, including the Frozen sing-along theater. I don't think it's necessary to have both the sing along theater (which is displacing Muppets 3D) AND the stage show about 100ft from each other.
Well I was thinking about shows with good production values. I know that venues are limited but rotating shows would be nice. I get that the logistics are probably more complicated than I'd like to believe though.

zeemumu

They didn't change much from last year's haunted mansion holiday. The colors feel more vibrant, the man eating wreath has moving eyes, and Sallys face is a mapped on projection. Just basic retouched for the most part.

RetroMG

They didn't change much from last year's haunted mansion holiday. The colors feel more vibrant, the man eating wreath has moving eyes, and Sallys face is a mapped on projection. Just basic retouched for the most part.

Wait, where is Sally? Do you mean at the end, where the "Hurry back" ghost is?

zeemumu

Wait, where is Sally? Do you mean at the end, where the "Hurry back" ghost is?

Yeah. I know that one of the other mansions has her somewhere else in the ride listening to the scary teddy play the piano. I also saw that basket of stuff that she leaves Jack in the movie in the graveyard.

A few nice additions for Six Flags. I'm glad they've found success with the RMC conversions. I haven't had a chance to ride one yet, but they look incredible. Still hoping they come down to Tampa and give Gwazi some love.

Enjoy! I love going with people who have never been to a park. Usually it ends up being a unique trip because their preferences differ from mine. Superman also looks like a really solid B&M design. It's rare for a looping B&M to have an airtime hill in place of a MCBR.

Had a great time in the end. They really liked the park too.
There was a lot of people, but there were mostly families with small children so the majority of coasters and thrill rides had only 5 minutes waiting.
They returned 2 hours before the park closed (they need to travel again in car 3 hours trip), but my cousin that lives in Madrid and me stayed there till they closed, becuase ive never been there with night lights on.
Superman is still an amazing B6M floorless coaster. And Stuntfall (Vekoma inverted boomerang) is still exciting and great.

Some photos
img_207113y2v.jpg

img_2079gtbc9.jpg

img_2082vxyxp.jpg

img_2089c1znn.jpg

wbmw73.jpg

img_2094upa7a.jpg

img_2096ywbdq.jpg

img_21016eyg6.jpg

img_2116pxzm0.jpg

img_21219hyi5.jpg

And a gif of me doing the idiot in Superman B&M floorless :p
thumbsup29ls2b.gif

2570640-5353427362-thumb.gif

(I fucking love this gif lol)

Frozen is replacing Aladdin at California Adventure.

2fFpjYi.gif

Fuck, why didnt I go when I was there and had the opportunity!

From child to adult the guy does my favourite thumbs up ever lol

We recorded that with one of those sport cameras you attach to the head, but my friend had it in his pocket and just pulled it out with the hand as supposedly you cant record on rides. Those cameras seem expensive, but he got it from a Call of Duty Collectors Edition that costed 200 euros, but he found dirty cheap rotting on a store for 20 euros, so he bought it. And the quality recording is pretty great, so we are going to use it every time we go to a theme park, thats for sure.

Wubby

Frozen is replacing Aladdin at California Adventure.

I can't believe Aladdin has been in the Hyperion for this long...

Hyperion was one of the places I worked when I was an Attractions Host. When I first started working there it was a really crappy show called Steps in Time. Then Blast came. Blast was fantastic. Then Aladdin.... Aladdin was good but I still preferred Blast! I haven't been back since 2003...

zeemumu

Reading between the lines a bit, I assume a lot of this will be in Innoventions? It's been closed for months, they had Disney Infinity 2.0 kiosks in there for a long time, and it would be right by Star Tours and Space Mountain.

EDIT: My wife just pointed out that it says November 17th, 2016.

Damn, got my hopes up for nothing. But yeah this would be in innoventions. But 2016 seems weird. Wouldn't they want to capitalize on the episode 7 hype by releasing it THIS year? And a year plus however long innoventions has been closed seems like a really long time for something like this. Universal got Hogwarts up in less time. I think ABC may have screwed up and put next year instead of this year.

Edit: Yeah from the looks of it, ABC fucked up the year. I looked at every other source and they all seem to allude to it being THIS November, ahead of the movie, while the groundbreaking happens early next year.

Apparently they're also closing Fantasmic, Mark Twain boat ride, and Tom Sawyer Island temporarily for the Star Wars construction.

RetroMG

Damn, got my hopes up for nothing. But yeah this would be in innoventions. But 2016 seems weird. Wouldn't they want to capitalize on the episode 7 hype by releasing it THIS year? And a year plus however long innoventions has been closed seems like a really long time for something like this. Universal got Hogwarts up in less time. I think ABC may have screwed up and put next year instead of this year.

Edit: Yeah from the looks of it, ABC fucked up the year. I looked at every other source and they all seem to allude to it being THIS November, ahead of the movie, while the groundbreaking happens early next year.

Apparently they're also closing Fantasmic, Mark Twain boat ride, and Tom Sawyer Island temporarily for the Star Wars construction.

I'll be there in October and also in December. If we haven't heard for sure by one of those times, I'll be sure to report back.

Im sorry Disney, but this looks like ass. Cheap ass.
I went to a mall (in the center of Madrid) the other day, and they had a very similar star wars exposition what is shown in that image (of course without the star wars wall and decorations). For a musuem expostion about star wars, its cool, for something in a disney park, is cheap as hell.

They can do much better with the inovations building. While not a carrousel of progress style ride with stark industries as the "sponsor" disney? That would be a cool ride that can show real science and future appliances (basically a tribute to the original ride), and then add some marvel for kids to have fun. It fucking writes itself.

And why are they closing big thunder ranch for star wars things? The ranch is really far from tomorrowland.

zeemumu

I went to a mall (in the center of Madrid) the other day, and they had a very similar star wars exposition what is shown in that image (of course without the star wars wall and decorations). For a musuem expostion about star wars, its cool, for something in a disney park, is cheap as hell.

They can do much better with the inovations building. While not a carrousel of progress style ride with stark industries as the "sponsor" disney? That would be a cool ride that can show real science and future appliances (basically a tribute to the original ride), and then add some marvel for kids to have fun. It fucking writes itself.

And why are they closing big thunder ranch for star wars things? The ranch is really far from tomorrowland.

They already had a Stark Industries thing with the hall of suits.

RetroMG

Well, that IS concept art. We don't actually know that it will look like that. Overall, yeah, if they're just going to re-skin Innoventions to be Star Wars themed, that is pretty cheap, but it's not like they were making great use of the space before. It was basically "Let's watch Marvel creep in on Innoventions." That said, I didn't mind, because I thought it was cool that you could get your picture with Captain America or Thor. (The Thor meet and greet in particular was pretty cool.)
The SW area will probably be the same - Get your picture taken with Princess Leia or Luke Skywalker or someone. (I was going to list one of the Ep 7 characters, but I can't think of any of their names.)

A Carousel of Progress hosted by Tony or Howard Stark would be pretty awesome.

The area with Big Thunder Ranch is closing because that's where they're building the Star Wars Land. What we're talking about in Tomorrowland is just a stopgap so that fans have something SW themed (hopefully) in time for Episode 7.

zeemumu

My friend hates that they're replacing the Ranch with Star Wars because she doesn't like Star Wars, but I think I'll be able to convince her to go into the launch bay in a few months.

RetroMG

My friend hates that they're replacing the Ranch with Star Wars because she doesn't like Star Wars, but I think I'll be able to convince her to go into the launch bay in a few months.

I'm a little sad, mostly because I feel like chipping away at part of Frontier Land to make a Star Wars land feels a little cheap. And also because the food at the ranch was AMAZING, even if it was pretty expensive. (My in-laws took my wife and I there on a recent trip, and I insisted on paying, because I didn't think it would be THAT expensive. It's something like $25 per person.)

zeemumu

I'm a little sad, mostly because I feel like chipping away at part of Frontier Land to make a Star Wars land feels a little cheap. And also because the food at the ranch was AMAZING, even if it was pretty expensive. (My in-laws took my wife and I there on a recent trip, and I insisted on paying, because I didn't think it would be THAT expensive. It's something like $25 per person.)

To be fair, a lot of that area is left over from the old railroad and doesn't do much outside of providing a shortcut to frontierland.

Anjin M

To be fair, a lot of that area is left over from the old railroad and doesn't do much outside of providing a shortcut to frontierland.

That has always been my feelings about that section of the park. It is a very pretty walkway, but I have never spent more than a couple minutes at Big Thunder Ranch. My hope is that, since the concept art for Star Wars Land emphasizes the spires and greenery, it blends seamlessly into Frontierland.

They already had a Stark Industries thing with the hall of suits.

And that is as cheap as this or even worse. As I explained, the perfect idea for Stark Industries is make it a fictional sponsor (just like disneyland's old tomorrowland rides like Adventure Thru Inner Space sponsored by Monsanto, that had things in the rides queue about it). You make a new version of Carousel of progress, with new song (with a little of the old remixed) made by Richard Sherman (he already did a similar song for Iron Man 2). At the end of the ride make some Iron Man enemy attack the building, and Iron Man saving the day. Kids will be happy, old disneyland fans will be happy (even if they are a little grumpy because theyve used iron man, at least they have a new version original ride back), and it works with Walts vision of Tomorrowland, and the new Disneyland CEO's that one to add Marvel to that land.

Well, that IS concept art. We don't actually know that it will look like that. Overall, yeah, if they're just going to re-skin Innoventions to be Star Wars themed, that is pretty cheap, but it's not like they were making great use of the space before. It was basically "Let's watch Marvel creep in on Innoventions." That said, I didn't mind, because I thought it was cool that you could get your picture with Captain America or Thor. (The Thor meet and greet in particular was pretty cool.)
The SW area will probably be the same - Get your picture taken with Princess Leia or Luke Skywalker or someone. (I was going to list one of the Ep 7 characters, but I can't think of any of their names.)

A Carousel of Progress hosted by Tony or Howard Stark would be pretty awesome.

The area with Big Thunder Ranch is closing because that's where they're building the Star Wars Land. What we're talking about in Tomorrowland is just a stopgap so that fans have something SW themed (hopefully) in time for Episode 7.

As someone who works doing concept arts, if the first thing I feel about that image is an exposition in a mall, is becuase thats what probably they want to make it feel. It will look much better than a mall or museum exposition, of course, as they are going to theme everythng surroundiong the exposition, but it still a cheap idea, that doesnt blend to well with the idea of being a real star wars location (would they really have an exposition of tie fighters and x wings on a randomly room in a planet if it werent a museum? Its a little strange, to say the least, and takes you out of the world).
That building has been mistreated since the ending of america sings.
And Stark Industries works so well with the Carousel of Progress, that is baffling they havent thought about it.

That has always been my feelings about that section of the park. It is a very pretty walkway, but I have never spent more than a couple minutes at Big Thunder Ranch. My hope is that, since the concept art for Star Wars Land emphasizes the spires and greenery, it blends seamlessly into Frontierland.

The problem I see with this is, Fantasyland is between that part of Frontierland and Tomorrowland, so I dont know what a random Star Wars location is doing there.
Theres some rumours about destroying Mickeys Toontown, but that would breake my heart.

Xun

Reading between the lines a bit, I assume a lot of this will be in Innoventions? It's been closed for months, they had Disney Infinity 2.0 kiosks in there for a long time, and it would be right by Star Tours and Space Mountain.

EDIT: My wife just pointed out that it says November 17th, 2016.
That's a fucking ridiculous date.

I can only assume it's because of budget.

zeemumu

That's a fucking ridiculous date.

I can only assume it's because of budget.

I think ABC got the year wrong.

Yeah, I took another look at the article and I can't find the year anymore, only the day and month. And it says that the launch bay is supposed to have sneak peeks of the new movie, which would make no sense next year. The groundbreaking for star wars land starts next year though.

Anjin M

Great America Announces New Attraction Featuring Mass Effect Videogame Series For 2016
4D Holographic Experience Will Be Based on Popular EA Franchise

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Sept. 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- California's Great America and Electronic Arts (EA), a global leader in interactive entertainment, are teaming up to create a first-of-its-kind guest experience at Great America. The dynamic new attraction will feature settings and characters from EA's critically acclaimed Mass Effect™ videogame series developed by BioWare™ and will open next season in a newly renovated Action Theater.

Riders will climb aboard motion-based seating and wear 3D glasses as they are taken on a thrilling adventure. A live performer will curate the journey and appear to interact seamlessly with the next generation 3D visuals. These elements will be integrated with motion seating, high tech sound and other 4D effects to create a truly compelling and immersive attraction. Guests will travel through space to a distant planet, face off against bigger than life adversaries and ultimately help save the day.

"Partnering with a world-wide gaming leader like EA will enable us to build an incredible user experience for our guests," said California's Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg. "This combination of technology and creative videogame content is sure to usher in a new wave of entertainment innovation in amusement parks."

"EA and BioWare are thrilled to partner with Great America and see one of our most iconic games turned into an exciting high-tech attraction," said Patrick O'Brien, Vice President of Entertainment and Licensing, EA. "Having a partner who shares our commitment to thrilling our fans is extremely important to us and we look forward to building an attraction that will appeal to the Mass Effect fan-base and introduce it to many more."

CEDAR FAIR
California's Great America is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to California's Great America, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, three water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in California under a management contract.

www.cagreatamerica.com

Mass Effect and BioWare are trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. or its subsidiaries.

Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150929/271960

SOURCE California's Great America

RELATED LINKS
http://www.cagreatamerica.com

ito007

Great America Announces New Attraction Featuring Mass Effect Videogame Series For 2016
4D Holographic Experience Will Be Based on Popular EA Franchise
Wow. Cedar Fair was the LAST company I thought would get themselves involved with a partnership like this.

The mass effect thing sounds form the PR realease like a real ride, not one of those typical japanese "experiences" that they use mostly when they want to put a videogame thing at a park. Excited to see what it is.

Rumors are suggesting a complete or near-complete retracking, new vehicles with onboard audio and possibly LEDs, and a totally revamped queue that will rival Universal's best.

Please be excited.

Sounds really good. Is so strange they are going to destrot a coaster, just to build (even if its better) the same type of coaster again.

zeemumu

I ended up going to Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights last night. It was actually fairly decent. The effects and props were great as they always are because it's Universal Studios, and I had a good amount of fun going through the houses. All of them were movie-based so I could follow the storyline of each maze (except one) as we went through it.

Walking Dead: Wolves Not Far-I thought this maze was well done because of the attention to detail and because I'm a fan of the show, although they've been doing Walking Dead mazes for so long that it's starting to get a little old for me.

Crimson Peak-I really liked the feel of this maze because Victorian ghosts get to me and there were plenty of those to be in had in here. It also helped that, since the movie hasn't come out yet, I had no idea what the hell was going on. The only minor nitpick is that it seemed like they were limited to dialogue from the trailer to use as sound effects, probably to avoid spoiling anything. *shrug*

Insidious: Return to the Further-If you liked the movies you'll probably like this. It had plenty of callbacks to the first and 2nd films, and the unusually high amount of doors kept me on my toes. This maze was pretty heavy on using misdirection to achieve its scares.

Halloween: Michael Myers Comes Home-This maze probably had the longest line of the night (but we had front of the line passes so it worked out). Aside from the terror tram this is also the only maze on the upper lot. Since there's only one real antagonist in the Halloween series you're really only going to see people dressed as Michael with a few trick or treaters scattered here and there. It definitely felt like a Halloween film with the lighting and tone.

This is the End 3D-I am disappointed by the lack of Backstreet Boys. The art style of this house is trippy as hell(no pun intended) due to the glowing paint and 3D glasses. You'll see a lot of giant puppet demons and some really cool costume designs. It does follow the plot of the movie so there's still some comedy scattered around. I feel like this was probably the spiritual successor to the Penn and Teller Las Vegas maze that they had at one of the previous events.

AVP: Alien vs. Predator-This one probably had the best costume design and puppet effects out of any of the mazes. The Aliens and Predators didn't look cheap at all. I feel like the V in AVP should have stood for "visitor" instead of versus because a lot of the time you're directly in the middle of both an alien and a predator and you have no idea who to look at. It's really disorienting which adds to the scare factor. and there are plenty of facehuggers to be had. Not really very many changes from last year but still a fun maze.

Terror Tram: Survive the Purge-I think I liked this one a bit more than the Walking Dead Terror Tram that was up last year. Since the scareactors weren't zombies, they weren't as limited in their movement and a lot of them were wearing presidential masks ("LINCOLN NO WHY!!!"). It's a mashup between the antagonists of the first and second film and you get to walk through the studio tour sets which is cool on its own.

I don't have much to say about the scarezones. They were pretty meh due to a lack of scareactors, but the ones who were there were having a blast.

There was also a Jabbawockeez show. If you're into dance performances then you'll enjoy this just fine. And The Mummy, Jurassic Park, Transformers, and Despicable Me are open so if you need a break from the scares you can always take refuge in there.

Effects:10/10
Number of Houses: 8/10
Scareactors:8/10
Coverage:6/10
Crowding:5/10 (1 being packed and 10 being completely empty. This would vary depending on the day and time.)

zeemumu

I guess the rationale for Disneyland passes being more expensive than WDW is that the crowd levels at DLR are insane most of the year now. Man I remember buying the deluxe pass for $320 back in 2010.

Yeah that's the idea. The 60th anniversary is already boosting crowd levels exponentially. Add that onto Haunted Mansion Holiday (which is up to an average of around an hour from the previous 10-25 minute wait) and the the Star Wars stuff kicking off in November, and the park will be hilariously crowded. And winter is coming...

gsrjedi

They need to do away with the payment plans for Cali residents. I think it makes the passes way too accessible (though I may just be salty that they expanded the plans to all of Cali & I live just as far away as San Fran over here in Phoenix).

Finally got to visit a week ago. The nighttime shows were really well done.

RetroMG

They need to do away with the payment plans for Cali residents. I think it makes the passes way too accessible (though I may just be salty that they expanded the plans to all of Cali & I live just as far away as San Fran over here in Phoenix).

Finally got to visit a week ago. The nighttime shows were really well done.

Tucson here, and I would totally do the monthly payment thing if it were available here.

I'm leaving on Thursday to go!

overcast

Gonna actually re-up this weekend possibly. Gonna grab the Deluxe. Going to go a lot more this year I feel.

That being said if it happens again next year I may just move back down.

Went to King's Island today, was pretty cold but literally every coaster was a walkon. I had rode all the coasters once in 2 hours. Pretty great day.

Weetrick

Went to King's Island today, was pretty cold but literally every coaster was a walkon. I had rode all the coasters once in 2 hours. Pretty great day.

Love those days. One of my best memories was going to Knott's on Super Bowl Sunday (year round operations!). Nobody was there. We had to take a breather within a few hours because we had ridden so many coasters.

aparisi2274

Down in FL on vacation, hit up Bush Gardens today with some friends who live in the area.

The 2 new rides since my last visit, Falcon's Fury and Cheetah Hunt, were very good.

Falcon's Fury was pretty intense, especially when the cars rocks back 90 degrees to give you a nice face first view of the ground 300ft below. Oh and the pretzel wrapped bacon they sell right next to the ride is insane!!

Cheetah Hunt was fun. Nice launches into some unique track layout. What really surprised me though was the amount of ride you can not see. I was pleasantly surprised about that.

All the other coasters were fun and all in all I had a nice time. Tomorrow I head back to Orlando for the week to finish my vacation at WDW and Uni, with a possible visit to Discovery Cove on Saturday.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Down in FL on vacation, hit up Bush Gardens today with some friends who live in the area.

The 2 new rides since my last visit, Falcon's Fury and Cheetah Hunt, were very good.

Falcon's Fury was pretty intense, especially when the cars rocks back 90 degrees to give you a nice face first view of the ground 300ft below. Oh and the pretzel wrapped bacon they sell right next to the ride is insane!!

Cheetah Hunt was fun. Nice launches into some unique track layout. What really surprised me though was the amount of ride you can not see. I was pleasantly surprised about that.

All the other coasters were fun and all in all I had a nice time. Tomorrow I head back to Orlando for the week to finish my vacation at WDW and Uni, with a possible visit to Discovery Cove on Saturday.

I miss Falcon's Fury. That was the only ride that I was legitimately terrified to ride while I was in Florida. Was even telling my friends who went with me, this is the one ride I may bitch out on lol. Though all those fears went away after the first ride and I immediately wanted to jump back in line.

Besides Falcon's Fury, Sheikra was the other highlight of my first trip to Busch Gardens Tampa. Got lucky enough to ride the front row on the edge too. Was absolutely incredible seeing the drop from that seat.

Sounds great. I'll be in Orlando tomorrow and until the 28th. Gonna pretty much focus on both Universal and WDW.

Top Bottom