• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Man if most of that concept art is physical sets, i am so fucking ready!

It is. I was at the park last weekend, and while the Skull Island area is closed off by fences, you can clearly see over them. I was shocked at how much was constructed. I'll be there again on Sunday, I'll try to remember to snap some photos.

Man if most of that concept art is physical sets, i am so fucking ready!

Rumors are saying the ride will have plenty of physical sets, and a Kong AA. The centerpiece of the ride is reported to be a giant 360-degree 3D screen section, though the lead up to it is is likely to be mostly physical (bug/bat AAs are rumored, as well). Sounds good! IoA could definitely use some love.

Goldrusher

Skull Island eh?

aU5i0Jr.jpg

iFD45vD.jpg

CsW5T2k.jpg

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2016/02/reign-of-kong-update-peek-at-lighting.html

https://twitter.com/MickeyXtreme/status/702231872491888644/photo/1

Excuse me sir, can you please step off the ride for a few minutes

What type of ride is it? those outdoor tracks is making me think it's one of those jeep rides ala Indiana Jones at DLR

Its basically a dark ride with trackless (automated) Killamanjaro Safaris vehicles. Inside the show building will be physical sets, AAs, and 3D screens.

I'll be traveling to Six Flags Over Texas for opening this weekend if all goes as planned!

Excited to try New Texas Giant, but everything else looks a bit meh on the coaster offerings. Definitely home to some unique rides, but nothing besides NTG that will crack my top 10.

Bought season passes last year and this year to Six Flags Over Georgia. Hopefully, I'll use it more than twice.

The last time I went to SFOG the season passes were the same price as the day passes. I couldn't wrap my head around it. We ended up getting season passes and never using them, but whatever-- same price. I don't know if it was a crazy deal they were running or what, the ticket lady seemed confused as to why I was confused.

Goldrusher

VR-coasters for 9 Six Flags parks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67boKqqAShU

Six Flags is bringing ground-breaking experiences to nine parks — North America's first Virtual Reality (VR) Roller Coasters, using Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus. Enjoy thrills like never before as some of our most popular coasters will be equipped to allow you to wear Samsung Gear VR headsets and feel the heart-pumping adrenaline of steep drops, inverted loops and powerful twists and turns as gyros, accelerometers and proximity sensors synchronize all of the action in an incredibly realistic 360-degree virtual reality world.

Whether you're soaring through Metropolis on our SUPERMAN Virtual Reality Coasters or co-piloting a fighter jet on The New Revolution, this remarkable technology is a definite game-changer. The headsets allow guests 13 and older to enter a virtual world with high-resolution imagery and 360-degree views that synchronize to the action of the coaster in a totally new, one-of-a-kind experience.

On the six New Revolution Virtual Reality Coasters, riders are transported to a futuristic battle to save planet earth from an alien invasion. Riders are the co-pilots in their own fighter jets as they strap in for air-to-air combat. Taking in the view around them, riders will see other aircraft in an underground secret bunker. As the aircraft moves to a landing pad, it begins to launch its thruster engines, lifting the craft straight up through the roof. During the ascent, riders can test fire their weapons using the world’s first-ever interactive gameplay technology on a roller coaster. As riders clear the roof, they realize they are on top of a skyscraper and about to launch off the edge of the building diving straight down on the first drop of the ride. The aircraft races through the city until reaching the edge of the skyline where riders see the mother ship hovering above. The mother ship is heavily protected by drones and the mission is to get past the drones, fire on the mother ship and destroy it.

This elite fighter squadron experience will make its debut on the following six roller coasters:

 Shock Wave at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington
 Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia outside of Atlanta
 The New Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain near Los Angeles
 Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis in Eureka
 Steamin’ Demon at The Great Escape in Lake George, New York
 Goliath at La Ronde in Montreal

thumb_six_flags_magic_mountain_the_new_revolution_vr.jpg

On Six Flags’ three new SUPERMAN Virtual Reality Coasters, once riders take their seats and fasten the headsets, they will be fully immersed in the 360-degree comic-book world of Metropolis. Guests will be taken on a leisurely (or so they think) tour of the city of Metropolis, courtesy of Lex Corp Sky Tours. Just after departing the station riders encounter Lex Luthor who uses an anti-gravity gun along with his army of Lex Bots to create chaos throughout the city with cars, taxis and buses floating in mid-air around the rider’s vehicle. As the Lexbots continue shooting at the vehicle, SUPERMAN uses heat vison to destroy the anti-gravity gun, causing all objects to suddenly fall, including the train as it takes the first giant drop of the roller coaster. Riders then soar alongside SUPERMAN as he battles the evil Lexbots

through hairpin twists and turns, loops, dips and dives before ultimately defeating Lex and the Lexbots, and returning safely back into the station. This amazing adventure will debut on these Superman-branded coasters:

 SUPERMAN Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio
 SUPERMAN The Ride at Six Flags New England in Agawam, Massachusetts
 SUPERMAN Ride of Steel at Six Flags America in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.

thumb_superman_the_ride_vr_key_art.jpg

http://www.sixflags.com/virtualrealitycoasters

Eh, it's a bit of a gimmick, but VR could bring something to bog-standard rollercoasters I suppose.

Alton Towers are outfitting Air with VR helmets this year, so I'll pop down at some point and give it a shot there.

I suppose the VR experiences are modelled after the coaster designs so it could be a really fun experience if they work 1:1 with the layout of the coaster track. But instead of seeing a barren floor, the sky and the parking lot near you if the coaster is badly themed, you see a space war or something. Could be cool and at least you are in a real coaster.

Not like those motion simulators that try to emulate sci fi or fantasy coasters *shudders*

Also, those seems like Samsung VRs.

Here's a fantastic documentary on Arrow Dynamics.

Your first looping roller coaster most likely was an Arrow, or maybe a Schwarzkopf depending on location/age, but this documentary shows a rich history.

They're also the pioneers behind X at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Luckily I got to converse with Ron Toomer through email.

Here's the link to the documentary. Definitely check it out!

http://www.legacyofarrow.com/index.html

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My first roller coaster and first looping roller coaster were both Arrow. Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland and Corkscrew at Knott's Berry Farm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't anything posted that indicates it's coming first to Japan. It seems the point of the article is to let everyone know it will be open there for the Olympics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't anything posted that indicates it's coming first to Japan. It seems the point of the article is to let everyone know it will be open there for the Olympics.

Yeah, and rading more about it is not oficially unveiled by Universal either.
Maybe both are done at the same time, or we even can get the one in orlando in 2019.

Really hope htey unveil concept arts soon and a real date.

For Georgia shoulda put that VR on something that needs/could seriously use it,
probably not Ninja as the headset would either be flung off or bashed to pieces after a single ride.
Mindbender or Scorcher maybe?

Ive always had my normal glasses on all coaster I have been, and they never had flung off. Its pretty hard becuase the inertia usually glues them to your face. Probably the VR glasses are more secure.

Now, maybe you are right about bashed to pieces if the coaster is harsh and gives you bumps in your head (never been to that coaster).

Ive always had my normal glasses on all coaster I have been, and they never had flung off. Its pretty hard becuase the inertia usually glues them to your face. Probably the VR glasses are more secure.

Now, maybe you are right about bashed to pieces if the coaster is harsh and gives you bumps in your head (never been to that coaster).
Yeah Its more a joke about that particular coaster, its basically head banging from start to finish.

Yeah, its probably the worst coaster I have ridden.
Though I still give it a ride per visit since its completely empty even on busy days.

I dont know whats with vekomas, but the turn into bumping head rides after a while.

Although I really like the giant inverted boomerang the got in spain, from what ive read other opinions, is probably their best ride, and it doesnt have much bumping still even after so many years.

Here's a shot from yesterday I took with my D3300

Got into the park late, and the lines were ridiculous. Leaving in a few minutes to get there early, and await the massive stampede to New Texas Giant.

Today should be fun!

Six Flags Over Texas needs a good B&M floorless coaster. They lack a good modern multi-looper, and a full circuit launch coaster.

I also wish every park ran as efficient as a Cedar Fair park, too.

Here's two more from today; there's more but I like these the best.

qM47JCJ.jpg

I got here at 9am this morning for the closer coaster in the background. Well worth waking up a little early on a vacation for.

fb4SSo7.jpg

I want to be that guy when I'm his age; always youthful at heart.

zeemumu

Universal's planning on putting in a year-round Walking Dead maze. Spiritual successor to Universal House of Horrors, I suppose.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/03/video-the-walking-dead-walkthrough-attraction-coming-permanently-to-universal-studios/

It has been described in press notes that the Walking Dead attraction is way more intense than its Halloween iteration. In fact, the park promises that the stomach-churning walk-through experience will boast “authentic walker make-up effects, sophisticated animatronic walkers, substantially more detailed set design and costuming, and highly recognizable props replicated from the series in partnership with producer, director, and all-out effects genius Greg Nicotero.”

zeemumu

Hyperspace Mountain is probably temporary so I don't think that would count, but they did do this with what is now Stitch's Great Escape, albeit for different reasons.

http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2015/04/27/guardians-of-the-galaxy-overhaul-coming-to-tower-of-terror

Oh Christ please let them not touch the Tower of Terror in Orlando. What the hell is this.
Oh, FUCK no.

Florida TOT is a flawless gem. A sympathetic retheme would be dodgy enough ground- haphazardly slapping on a completely unconnected IP would be sacrilege.

If they're looking to retheme a big Hollywood Studios ride with an outdated theme that utilises music heavily, I might point them across the road to Rock and Roller Coaster.

http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2015/04/27/guardians-of-the-galaxy-overhaul-coming-to-tower-of-terror

Oh Christ please let them not touch the Tower of Terror in Orlando. What the hell is this.

This may be the dumbest thing to potentially ever happen to a theme park. From what I've read on Twitter, the rumor seems to have some legitimacy? At least for DCA, it seems. What a boneheaded move.

For those interested, Creature Technology Company who is doing Kong just did AA's for Jurassic World the Exhibition. Judging by their Indominus Rex, Kong is gonna be great.

Also, this may eventually find its home in the parks.

The Kong AA is going to be terrifying, good god.

SmithnCo

Oh, FUCK no.

Florida TOT is a flawless gem. A sympathetic retheme would be dodgy enough ground- haphazardly slapping on a completely unconnected IP would be sacrilege.

If they're looking to retheme a big Hollywood Studios ride with an outdated theme that utilises music heavily, I might point them across the road to Rock and Roller Coaster.

Exactly, Rock n Roller Coaster already doesn't really fit the 30s-40s theming so GoTG wouldn't be too much of a leap. Plus they could pump in the soundtrack through those speakers, put in some projections or setpieces you fly past and it'd be a good overhaul. I doubt many people would really miss Aerosmith.

I have NO idea how they could reconcile a GoTG ride inside of a 1930s hotel.

Top Bottom