• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There Came An Echo |OT| Out on PS4

Feep

Banned
I'm going to push a beta update in thirty minutes; you can only access it with a password. Is anyone down to help me test (especially those who had problems)?

CompC

I like this game so far but sometimes when I give a command it just crashes. It's happened a couple of times now. It's kind of annoying.

flohen95

So, my laptop's microphone is not loud enough even after setting it to the highest volume and I can't even figure out where it is to move closer to it when I want to give commands, which is why I can't play the game the way it is intended to be played until I get home on Friday where I can use a headset. Sucks.

In conclusion: My laptop's microphone is a piece of shit. Oh well, looking forward to Friday.

CompC

Also it really doesn't seem to like displays with aspect ratios other than 16:9.

My screen is 16:10, and with the native resolution selected (1680x1050) the game seems to actually render at 16:9, 2217x1050, with the edges just cut off because it doesn't fit on the screen.

And when I select a 16:9 aspect ratio like the default 720p, it stretches it to fill the screen.

titch

This is the fourth time this error has been reported; I'm trying to track it down.

Can you help? Send to iridium@playiridium.com your two logs:

1) steam/steamapps/common/ThereCameAnEcho/VoiceCoreErrorLog.txt
2) steam/steamspps/common/ThereCameAnEcho/ThereCameAnEchoData/output_log.txt

I wanna try to get to the bottom of this.

Game is crashing on me at the start of the second mission - will do usual fault finding and if no joy will send the error logs over.

Enjoyed the tenseness of the first mission and for the most part the voice controls managed my southern scottish accent ok!!!

Danj

I backed the Kickstarter for this so I actually got hold of it a little earlier than some of you guys (they sent out codes for KS backers a couple days ago).

I'd actually totally forgotten about this game, so when it turned up in my inbox I was like oh hey, that game, wait what was that game again? And when I looked it up and it was voice controlled I was like yeah, I bet that doesn't work worth a damn. But actually it does, it works really well, and it puts a really different spin on the experience. I expected it to have trouble with the fact that I'm British, but not only did it not have any trouble with that, but the voice calibration thingy automatically picked up on that and set the language to English (United Kingdom). So I really do recommend digging out a headset and giving the voice controls a shot. But hey, if you don't like talking to your PC, mouse control or controllers work just as well.

I finished it yesterday, and I was actually a little surprised to see what my play time was (Steam says 3 hours, I don't know how accurate that is) because it actually felt a bit longer than that. The story is really interesting and engaging though, and I guess it's that length because it's all fully voiced (so I guess it would be prohibitively expensive to make it longer).

It's single player only - which is fine, it's a great game as is. I really think it would be interesting to see how this voice control dynamic might work in a multiplayer situation though.

The story actually ends up being quite epic, but still just about manages to leave the door open for it to be continued. I'd love to see more of this, maybe something like a tie-in novelization or something.

I should also mention the end credits. With a lot of games, the end credits are just your standard looooooong scroll of names going up the screen, and most people generally only watch them in case there's a post credits scene or a "cleared save" after the credits. I mean sure, yeah, I absolutely agree that people involved should receive recognition, but that shit is _boring_. With this game, the end credits is actually a video of some of the cast and crew, and I felt that was a much more fun and engaging way to handle the credits. Of course, there is still a bit of namescroll when they get to the bit where they mention KS backers who backed at the higher tiers that included "your name in the credits" rewards, but that's to be expected.

I can see that there might be people who suggest that with it being the length it is, maybe it should be cheaper. To those I would say, it's about the same price you would pay for a movie ticket these days, but there's easily more enjoyment in there than you'd get from a movie. So I think it's about right.

So yeah, a big well done to Feep and Iridium Studios and I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with next.

Feep

Banned
To anyone having the voice issues early on, I have uploaded a build to the Beta branch that will hopefully correct the issue.

To access the beta branch (anyone can do this if they want), right click on There Came an Echo in Steam, click the Beta tab, and enter in the password "IridiumElement77". A new build will download.

The cause of the bug is definitely hitting "apply" a lot in both voice calibration and options (audio and language). Go into the game and screw around in there a bit, then start a new game, and in the beginning of the mission, screw around some more. See if it works okay. Also try changing accents (but remember to change back!)

Thank you so much for helping <3

Rafy

I've encountered a glitch in the main menu, with the options menu overlapping on the main.

Here's a screenshot of it:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398378776

Hope it helps :)

I, on the other hand, had the issue where the game would start in Italian even though my OS and every single piece of software I own is in English. The language selection slider was in english US, I had to cycle through it once for the game to be in English. Yes, I live in Italy but that's the first time a game did that. It should be up to the user to pick a language when the game is launched for the first time or have a dedicated sub/text language selection in the options.

kami_sama

How to change te game language? It's in English, and while I might be able to play it like that, at times it's painfully slow, as it's not my first language.

JambiBum

Feep, does that beta update include a fix for the menu bug that Mets posted? That bug makes it pretty impossible to navigate the menus at all.

Caerith

Only played a few missions so far, but really impressed at the voice recognition. I'm the soft-spoken type and usually find voice menus a pain in the ass, but after properly configuring my blood type I've found the game very responsive.

Maiger

Also it really doesn't seem to like displays with aspect ratios other than 16:9.

My screen is 16:10, and with the native resolution selected (1680x1050) the game seems to actually render at 16:9, 2217x1050, with the edges just cut off because it doesn't fit on the screen.

And when I select a 16:9 aspect ratio like the default 720p, it stretches it to fill the screen.

This. Using a 16:10 monitor at 1920x1200 and the edges are cut off.

Otherwise, fantastic job Feep! Really liking this, although it takes a while to get used to the right way to issue commands.

JambiBum

Nevermind, I seem to have solved the menu bug. You just have to let steam do the extra package installs that some games have the first time playing. The ones where steam asks for admin permissions. Usually skipping this (so I can play faster) doesn't cause issues. Apparently it did here.

Mets9

Feep, does that beta update include a fix for the menu bug that Mets posted? That bug makes it pretty impossible to navigate the menus at all.

Nevermind, I seem to have solved the menu bug. You just have to let steam do the extra package installs that some games have the first time playing. The ones where steam asks for admin permissions. Usually skipping this (so I can play faster) doesn't cause issues. Apparently it did here.

Well, I installed them the first time I launched the game, so that doesn't seem to work with me.

Yay, download finally finished. Looking forward to playing it on my commute home tonight, though I think I'll save trying the voice commands for after I get home >.>

Corpekata

Banned
Beta branch seems to have helped me a bit. I could not get "Pistol" command to work reliably and just loaded up the war room and seems to be working more accurately now.

JambiBum

Well, I installed them the first time I launched the game, so that doesn't seem to work with me.

Well boo. Was hoping that would fix it for you as well. Try verifying the files? That bug makes it pretty impossible to navigate the menus at all so hopefully there's a fix soon.

Presentation and music are both pretty well done, Feep. Looking forward to digging in more.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Really like the game so far. Voice acting, soundtrack and dialogues is absolutely fantastic! Damn, it is worth to buy the game just for them alone. In terms of combat and gameplay TCAE not even close to XCOM:EU for example, but I don't think that gameplay is the real meat of the game at all. I mean, clearly the main goal was not to create rich and deep gameplay, but to write a cool story, dialogues and characters along with very basic but nevertheless enjoyable experience in terms of gameplay with the actually working voice commands. Great job Iridium! I really hope that the game will sell well so that we can hope for a much better and complex sequel in terms of gameplay.

Btw, I know that it is probably to late to recommend something at this point cuz the game is done, but if any of the devs reading this.... what do you think about adding turn-based combat system like in Transistor into the next game? I think it could make the next game so much better, well, that is if you decide to make a sequel or just very similar game. I don't think anyone would mind (actually quite the opposite).

P.S. Resolution does not changing even after restart of the game. I really hope that this issue will be fixed soon.

Ran rp

Humble Bundle still hasn't delivered so I just bought a Steam copy. I wanted the art book and OST anyway and I need to own a Steam copy of a game before I can buy DLC so whatevs.

Hi Everyone! I'm the concept artist/ bunch-of-other-stuff-doer for TCAE. I just wanted to drop by here and say that It was a great pleasure working at Iridium, and I hope you all enjoy what we worked on for the past couple of years!

I still haven't gotten my code tho. :p

Congrats man, the game looks amazing! Hope to see more updates from you in the art threads.

Eiderann

Neo Member
I was having some issues with voice commands for a short stint after a crash, but it looks like the beta build fixed it! The game is very enjoyable so far and I'll definitely be picking up some keys for my friends in the near future. Congratulations on the release, Feep!

Fordfx2

I'm going to push a beta update in thirty minutes; you can only access it with a password. Is anyone down to help me test (especially those who had problems)?

Im down to help out, won't be able to get on until later this evening though due to work :(

If i can help out later though,let me know!

Trace

Banned
The OST is great, the voice acting is top-notch, and the art-style is nice to look at.

My main problem is the gameplay itself, it's a tad dull compared to other games I've played in the same style like XCOM, and I do wish there was some kind of usable alternate control scheme compared to voice (I know about the command wheel but it's clunky as all hell).

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
A heads up for any other backers who also got in on the early copy - I went back to my Humble Bundle page for TCAE, redeemed it again (?) and now the Soundtrack and Artbook DLC showed up in my library.

Vlodril

Alright i am having an issue. The game recognizes my commands most of the times (which is great because i have a horrible greek accent and i cant enunciate to save my life).

Unfortunately at the airport it wont recognize the retreat command no matter how many times i say it. i also close the game and restarted but the same. Nothing for the alternate fall back or my own custom leave. nothing works he just stays there until he goes down.

Valkrai

I'm loving this game but I hit a brickwall near the end.

How do you override all 3 rooms? I seem to get swarmed by turrets and die easily.

My brother is enjoying the game so far. It's funny for me to be in my room and I hear him say the following

"Miranda Recharge. Miranda Recharge. Miranda Recharge. Corrin revive Miranda."

We all know why she died.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving this game but I hit a brickwall near the end.

How do you override all 3 rooms? I seem to get swarmed by turrets and die easily.

I just left a squad member at each of the first 2 terminals so that the turrets wouldn't activate at all (both using Pistols so their energy wouldn't be an issue). Every time they stopped firing/taking damage I knew that they'd finished off whatever enemies were around and told them to activate the override. IMO moving the camera back to check the countdowns is a big time waster, so I didn't bother with it much and mostly focused on my last 2 characters moving into the final room.

Hope that helps! It definitely took me a few tries to figure out, tough fight but it's really satisfying once you finish it.

Danj

A heads up for any other backers who also got in on the early copy - I went back to my Humble Bundle page for TCAE, redeemed it again (?) and now the Soundtrack and Artbook DLC showed up in my library.

I think that must've been a higher tier than the one I was on.

My friend is testing my copy via Steam library sharing right now and he's enjoying it. Said he likes Burch's VA work so far. Good work Feep :)

Vlodril

I managed to pass the retreat command only to get stuck in the next mission in the all move command. ill give it a couple of days to see if the patches help me. game looks really nice and i like the vo and sci-fi story at least.

So, my laptop's microphone is not loud enough even after setting it to the highest volume and I can't even figure out where it is to move closer to it when I want to give commands, which is why I can't play the game the way it is intended to be played until I get home on Friday where I can use a headset. Sucks.

In conclusion: My laptop's microphone is a piece of shit. Oh well, looking forward to Friday.
I've got a similar problem.
I'm using the Sony Wireless Headset on PC and it does work well in all applications like mumble. But I can't get it to be loud enough for the game. In the calib. screen I'm only in the first quarter all the time and changing setttings (mic percentage, sensitivity) doesn't change a thing :( Is there a way to fix this?

Other than that the game feels great. I want to enjoy it with voice commands though.

robotrock

Banned
FbcRoos.png

2San

I think I missed something storywise in the early game. Early game spoilers
Why does Miranda help Corrin?

Top Bottom