• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theresa May signs £100m fighter jet deal with Turkey's Erdoan

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ns-100m-fighter-jet-deal-with-turkeys-erdogan

Theresa May and Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan have signed a £100m commitment to build new fighter jets, in a deal Downing Street hopes will see Britain become Turkey’s leading defence partner.

Despite concerns about Erdoğan’s human rights record and the increasingly authoritarian tone of his government, which has locked up thousands of political dissidents and protestors, a Downing Street spokeswoman said the two issues – human rights and trade – were distinct.

The defence deal will see BAE Systems collaborate with Turkish companies to build a bespoke Turkish jet, the TF-X. It is worth £100m – small in economic terms – but Britain hopes it will kick off a longstanding relationship, and open the door to becoming Turkey’s main defence provider. “We would expect this to unlock further deals,” the spokeswoman said.

May and Erdoğan also agreed to form a joint working group to begin talking about a bilateral trade deal that could be signed after Brexit.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Zaph

a Downing Street spokeswoman said the two issues – human rights and trade – were distinct.
but Britain hopes it will kick off a longstanding relationship, and open the door to becoming Turkey’s main defence provider. “We would expect this to unlock further deals,” the spokeswoman said.
Fuck off

Sorry world, but you're witnessing the death rattles of a former superpower realising it's (small) place in the world.

saelz8

What spurred the UK to say "Fuck the EU" then look to countries like the US, Turkey and Russia to replace them? I don't understand.

Trump is also a fan of Erdogan. It's crazy how these terrible people are almost their own class. It's strange. It's as if being corrupt, rich or autocratic is a distinct club, regardless of region.

Zips

I remember I used to think highly of the U.K., and could actually picture living there.

Now it's just a pile of poorly-governed crap like the U.S. has become, and I will have to fight to make sure Canada does not end up the same.

theaface

But... but... isn't Turkey that place that's about to join the EU and flood the continent with all those nasty Syrian and Iraqi terrorists disguised as refugees? That's what that leaflet through my door told me. Are they our allies now? Could it be that somewhere along the way there was some inaccurate presentation of the facts?!

Empty

we sold billions of pounds worth of arms to the saudi's in 2015 and 2016 despite being well aware of the horrors they are inflicting on civilian populations in yemen with them. this is business as usual.

tuxfool

Banned
But... but... isn't Turkey that place that's about to join the EU and flood the continent with all those nasty Syrian and Iraqi terrorists disguised as refugees? That's what that leaflet through my door told me. Are they our allies now? Could it be that somewhere along the way there was some inaccurate presentation of the facts?!

Funnily enough the UK was the biggest cheerleader for Turkey's admission.

I understand why you'd be against dealing with a country such as Turkey but isn't doing

deals such as this (Deals with countries with questionable human rights records etc)

something that all countries do. I'm not saying it's right but that it isn't anything new,

especially to the U.K.

I have no idea how this stuff works though so correct me if I'm wrong.

PJV3

we sold billions of pounds worth of arms to the saudi's in 2015 and 2016 despite being well aware of the horrors they are inflicting on civilian populations in yemen with them. this is business as usual.

I think we mock the government for that stuff as well as nominating the Saudis to be on the UN human rights council.

tuxfool

Banned
I understand why you'd be against dealing with a country such as Turkey but isn't doing

deals such as this (Deals with countries with questionable human rights records etc)

something that all countries do. I'm not saying it's right but that it isn't anything new,

especially to the U.K.

Sure. I'd say people are against any such deals. However, there isn't much that can be done and said over preexisting deals. You just don't want more of this shit.

spons

Gold Member

Anyone claiming Turkey will ever join the EU is being silly, as it's a full-blown criminal state.

Anyway, fighter jets are probably going to be armed to kill Kurds and other dissidents. What's new.

Zelias

Banned
To be fair May probably admires Erdogan's authoritarianism and approach to human rights. Tory scum is Tory scum.

especially to the U.K.

The great irony though in this case though is just how much of a big deal was made specifically out of Turkey as a reason to leave the EU.

Aha, so May's clever scheme in response to being warned that she cannot negotiate trade deals with other countries after triggering Article 50 is to get them in before it's triggered!

Good grief.

Empty

I think we mock the government for that stuff as well as nominating the Saudis to be on the UN human rights council.

yeah or the recent cringey state visit from xi jinping to the uk where cameron/osborne prohibited any mention of human rights because they wanted to suck up on trade

guess i just want to make it clear that this is not a brexit thing, it's a british government since forever thing

Steel

Banned
I feel like there's a gif missing here so far that's present in many similiar threads.

Don't worry, I'm sure this fighter jet deal will pay for the NHS for a few days!

eot

Banned
Turkey is a NATO member, nothing strange about the UK selling arms to them.

Sweden sells weapons to Saudi Arabia ffs.

Yes, it's quite clear that Teresa follows the general Tory path of "human rights? Haha", after all, she's leading us out of the EU just so her party can scrap a number of those , no matter how much trade we lose as a result.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
You guys do realise that Turkey has 115 F-35's on order, which is a joint project of multiple countries. That their current new main battle tank (Altay) is a hybrid of the Korean K2 and German Leopard tank. That their attack helicopter the T-129 is basically a souped up version of the İtalian A-129. This list goes on and on. My point is i get that the Erdoğan regime is iffy as fuck, but that never stopped the defense industry before. Why is everybody freaking out all of sudden as if this deal is suprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom