• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ThinkPad addicts

Hrk69

Gold Member
wtf.gif

showernota

I work in IT and my organization is exclusively Lenovo. I’ve been able to work on everything from ancient Edges to the newest P16. We’ve had a few dells and HPs pass through, and the difference in quality and longevity is night and day. The T490 model was the closest I’ve seen to being a letdown, but even those are fairly solid. I think the T440p will always be my favorite.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have two 14 inch thinkpads and a 17 inch thinkpad mobile workstation that I use for work.

My daily driver is a couple year old p14s with an i7, 32gb ram and 1 TB SSD. The 17 inch is also an i7 but with 64gb ram and 5 total TB SSD. It also has a keyboard with a 10-key numpad that I literally never use. I don't know the model number offhand. The other 14 inch is 3 years old now, but it's still a great machine. I leave it at home and use it when I work from there. If I need horsepower for something when working remotely I just RDP to the mobile workstation. I leave the 17 inch chained to my desk at work because I don't want to lug around a 14 pound laptop for any reason.

I'm thinking of moving daily work to a 14 inch X1 carbon after the first of the year. Or whatever gives me the best performance in a 14 inch profile at the time. I travel for work a lot so I don't like to carry a large, heavy laptop with me but I want enough horsepower to actually get work done on the go.

Tams

X61T, X201T, X220T, and X230T are the only ones I care about.

The Helix was tempting, but far too expensive and lacking in features (like the number of keys on the keyboard).

gar3

I use my T440p at home almost every single day. Upgraded the CPU last year to a 4712MQ.
The wife uses her JPN T400 all day, every day. Upgraded her CPU to a T9900, like, a decade ago.
My parents both have their own Thinkcentre E93z systems for everyday computing needs.

And we still have my wife's JPN 1161-72J.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Waiting on a dual-pipe heatsink for my T480 i5, temps currently hover between 55-65 at full load, using PTM7950 thermal pads on both the CPU and iGPU, hopefully, the dual-pipe will lower my temps 3-5 degrees. The T480 i5 model comes with a single-pipe. My T480 i7 runs pretty warm at full load, 70-75, with PTM and a dual-pipe. I'm loving my i5, the downgrade in performance isn't significant, but runs way cooler and the battery is almost twice as long, I do wish it had the MX 150 my i7 has, though. Running Fedora 40 KDE Plasma.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
ThinkPad? After quickly google searching, isn’t this thread basically like a “Wish.com HiPhone appreciation club” but for laptops?

Quasicat

We had them at work in our old building, then we built a completely new, state of the art, campus in 2012 where we transitioned to Surface tablet/laptops.
The only productive thing I did with my Thinkpad when it wasn’t docked was Solitaire. Solitaire ran really well on it. ☺️

The Fartist

Gold Member
We had them at work in our old building, then we built a completely new, state of the art, campus in 2012 where we transitioned to Surface tablet/laptops.
The only productive thing I did with my Thinkpad when it wasn’t docked was Solitaire. Solitaire ran really well on it. ☺️
Ouch, talk about a downgrade, Surface isn't serviceable, and they're fragile.

Quasicat

Ouch, talk about a downgrade, Surface isn't serviceable, and they're fragile.
Absolutely! If I had a personal computer that ran like the Surface computers at work, it would be in the trash. We have so many problems with them, but our IT lead is so into Windows no matter how many problems they cause.

showernota

My work deployed Surfaces for some users who needed tablets. I pivoted and picked up a Yoga instead the next time a tablet was needed, and it’s sooo much better than a Surface.

dem

I gave someone a new thinkpad at work today

They complained that it looked 20 years old.

It was brand new

#ThinkpadLife

Last edited:
Top Bottom