• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thirteen adult men and five boys arrested in gangrape of an 11 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://www.kens5.com/news/Arrests-m...ape-of-11-year-old-Texas-girl--116805228.html

More arrests have been made in connection with the alleged gang rape of an 11-year-old student from the Houston area, according to the Cleveland Police Department.

Six more suspects are in custody bringing the total number of arrests in the case to 11.

The suspects named Wednesday are: Jared Glenn McPherson, 18, of Cleveland; Kelvin Rashad King, 21, of Cleveland; Marcus Anthony Porchia, 26, of Cleveland; Devo Shaun Green, 20, of Cleveland; Xavier King, 17, of Cleveland, and Eric Bernard McGowan, 19 of Cleveland.

McPherson and Xavier King were arrested at Cleveland High School where both are students.

McPherson is a starter on the basketball team.

McGowan was already in the Liberty County Jail, for an unrelated case, when he was charged with sexual assault.

Cleveland police are searching for two other suspects in the case, 22-year-old Carlos Bernard Ligons and 27-year-old Cedric De Ray Scott.

They expect to add more names to the list of suspects charged and some of them will likely be Cleveland High School students.

Only KENS 5's sister station, KHOU News 11, was in Cleveland on Wednesday when angry family members gathered outside the police department to complain about the arrests.

One woman, who said her nephew was among those arrested, said the community has been torn apart by the case.

"It's upsetting everybody," said the woman, who didn't want her name used. "It ain't nobody in this community not upset behind this. It's pitiful."

"They have no proof of anything," said another man who said his cousin was in custody.

Late Wednesday evening one suspect’s mother sat down with 11 News to discuss her outrage with the police department’s investigation.

“It just seems like a dream,” said Green’s mother Sherry Fletcher. ”I just hope everything comes out well because some of these kids are innocent.”

Fletcher said police arrested her son Wednesday morning at his dad’s home. She said her son is wrongly accused.

“My son said he never touched the girl. He had never been around the girl,” she said. “When it first came out I asked him and he said, ‘No momma, I wouldn’t do something like that."

Second article talking about how people are blaming the girl.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/08/in-2-gang-rape-cases-communities-blame-11-year-old-victims/
Authorities in Texas have arrested more than a dozen suspects in the gang rape of an 11-year-old girl. There is outrage and there is anger -- but much of it is being directed at the victim.

"People have a tendency to say, 'Boys will be boys.' That is a common mentality now," Dr. Walter E. Afield, a nationally known mental health expert, told AOL News. "But rape can be just bad as murder, and if they had killed an 11-year-old people would be outraged."

The girl's mother says she has been receiving harassing phone calls from people asking for her daughter.

"[People] keep calling and asking for her," the victim's mother, identified only as Maria, told The Houston Chronicle. "They don't believe me when I say she's not here and cuss us out. They're trying to find her."

Maria's daughter has told police that at least 20 teenagers and men attacked her on Thanksgiving. The girl said she was taken to an abandoned home in Cleveland, 50 miles northeast of Houston, where she was forced to have sex with them under the threat of violence, police said.

Details of the gang rape did not surface until days later, when cell phone video recordings of the assault surfaced at Cleveland High School. According to the Chronicle, a student who recognized the victim and several of her attackers notified school officials. Since that time, 17 suspects, ages 14 to 27, have been charged.

"There are five who attend public schools," Cleveland Assistant Police Chief Darrel Broussard told AOL News. "Everyone knows them."

James D. Evans III, an attorney who represents four of the defendants, told CNN the entire ordeal is a "tragic" situation. "The families are dealing with it. It is [a] very stressful environment," he said.

Some are pointing a finger at the victim's parents.

"Where were they when this girl was seen wandering at all hours with no supervision and pretending to be much older?" Cleveland resident Kisha Williams told the Chronicle.

Maria told the Chronicle she believes her daughter may have been seeking attention in the past and says she and her husband had once questioned their daughter about a lurid photo of a boy that was found on a cell phone she used, but she says the boys should have known better.

"These guys knew she was in middle school," Maria said. "You could tell that whenever you talked to her. She still loves stuffed bears."

The case is somewhat similar to one that is making its way through the legal system in Michigan right now.

In June, five teenagers, ages 15 to 19, allegedly gang-raped an 11-year-old girl in Eastpointe, Mich. A portion of the incident was captured on a cell phone video. The suspects claim they did not know her age, police said.

Authorities said the girl was not physically threatened, but felt coerced and intimidated into complying.

"When you see five young men take advantage of an 11-year-old girl," Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith told The Detroit News, "it is our job to make sure they pay for it."

If convicted, the teenagers could face up to life in prison.

The outcomes of the Michigan and Texas cases are yet to be seen. But in Maria's case, she says the wait for justice is compounded by the emotions of residents.

Maria says she has received so many angry phone calls that the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services has placed her daughter in foster care for her own safety.

Gwen Carter, a spokeswoman for the department, would not discuss Maria's claims. "We're not able to comment on that family," Carter told AOL News. According to local media outlets, a judge issued a gag order Friday preventing the agency from discussing the case.

Sponsored Links
Broussard said he is not aware of any harassing phone calls to the girl's family.

"I don't have any knowledge of that at all," he said. "[But] there has been some upset parents of those who were taken into custody, but of course I mean something like this in a small community tends to cause unrest for a lot of people."

Afield says he would not be surprised if what the mother is saying is true.

"I have seen this more and more in the past five years or so," said Afield, who serves as medical director at the Neuropsychiatric Institute in Tampa, Fla. "Sex is everywhere today. We see it on soap operas and in the movies -- love means sex. That is the lesson being taught, but [this child] certainly did not deserve what happened."

Zzoram

First of all, video footage of a gang rape means these guys are guilty.

Second of all, a boy telling his mom he didn't do it doesn't mean he's innocent.

Finally, how the fuck do you mistake an 11-year old girl for an 18-year old girl, and if they did somehow make that mistake, they're still fuckers that need to die because they still thought it was ok to rape.

Authorities in Texas have arrested more than a dozen suspects in the gang rape of an 11-year-old girl. There is outrage and there is anger -- but much of it is being directed at the victim.

"People have a tendency to say, 'Boys will be boys.'
That is a common mentality now," Dr. Walter E. Afield, a nationally known mental health expert, told AOL News.
Kill those people too.

xbhaskarx

""They have no proof of anything," said another man who said his cousin was in custody."

"when cell phone video recordings of the assault surfaced"

ummm......

Boys will be Boys, lol wtf.

We are slowly moving on a course towards complete barbarianism. I'm gonna go get my club.

This is just messed up. It always pisses me off when the victims are getting harassed by the general public.

geeko

I hope everyone that was involved gets what they deserve, a hard ass butt rape in prison daily for the next 5 years.

Zzoram

I hate these parents. They always exist, like the mother who calls the police murderers when her son hijacks a car, is in a police car chase, shoots at the cops, and gets shot back and dies.

It's American culture to blame everyone but yourself or your kids for your kids' problems.

They should all be prosecuted to the fullest possible extent of the law, but the adults in particular are fucking appalling human beings and frankly deserve execution... and I say this as someone who generally tries to stay level headed. I've seen some of the kinds of long-lasting trauma incidents like this leave behind, and it makes you feel like homicidal vengeance is a very reasonable thing to expect.

Slayven said:
The parents need a beating too, no reason you shouldn't know where your 11 year old is at all times.

Yes, because they haven't suffered enough having their 11 yo gang raped by animals, only to have the community turn on them.

Zzoram

Seriously, the parents of these rapists sound like they're straight out of the middle east, blaming a woman for getting gang raped because she went somewhere without her dad or brother.

xbhaskarx

Where were they when this girl was seen wandering at all hours with no supervision and pretending to be much older?" Cleveland resident Kisha Williams

Presumably this Kisha Williams woman actually is much older than 11, and probably goes out at night herself... gang rape time!

Slayven said:
The parents need a beating too, no reason you shouldn't know where your 11 year old is at all times.

Wrong parents fool. Lets focus our e-beatings on the parents of the suspects.

You were probably being sarcastic though, I'm sorry.

Rad Agast

Zzoram said:
It's American culture to blame everyone but yourself or your kids for your kids' problems.

Nah, it's pretty common in every other country too.

I hope all who were involved are caught and sentenced accordingly.

Walshicus

Getting away from the usual pathetic GAF bloodlust... Is it really acceptable to post the names of rape suspects prior to their conviction in a court of law?

Slayven

Sir Fragula said:
Getting away from the usual pathetic GAF bloodlust... Is it really acceptable to post the names of rape suspects prior to their conviction in a court of law?
It's public record but usually if a suspect is under 18 they won't state their name.

UraMallas

parrotbeak said:
Kill those people too.
The mentality "boys will be boys" is misapplied here, though. Boys will be boys but rape will be RAPE. When I think of the adage "boys will be boys" I think of the three teenagers getting caught for smashing mailboxes or getting into a friend's parent's liquor cabinet. That shit does not extrapolate to rape.

Sir Fragula said:

It shouldn't be, no. I've seen that happen hundreds of times in the media lately... the worst is when they publish the name and general whereabouts of someone who hasn't committed a crime, but has maybe just caused a moral outcry or panic, or done something unpopular. Its like -- what the fuck are they trying to achieve / incite here?

In this case, I suspect the media have leapt all over the identities due to the nature of the crime. If they're guilty as charged, being tarred and feathered should be the least of their punishments.

Zzoram

Considering that these guys were on video raping an 11-year old girl, I think it's safe to make sure everyone knows their names and ideally faces.

Discotheque said:
Justice is them in jail. We should stop being a bunch of Charles Bronsons.

There's not enough vengeance in the world. Not nearly enough. Justice is for those that carry themselves as humans.

Chinner said:
As I grow older, I no longer look at the world with anger, but with disappointment.

This. 18 human beings shouldn't be able to find common ground in something as disgusting as this... it boggles the mind how stuff like this can happen. Its like when you get a couple of serial killers like Brady and Hindly or the Wests... how people can be prepared to cover for unconscionable crimes and even take part, it just exposes the worst side of humanity, of society, of this world. Its thoroughly fucking depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom