• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is normal in Japan?

ManaByte

Gold Member
U7dnyAT.png

OIP.P3clAVEinA0Hz30RE-c2SgHaEK

NikuNashi

What is normal is that every girl working in Mcdonalds is more attractive than most women in tv and movies in the west. Thats what struck me when I first arrived.

Also whats normal is a packed train with people stanbding up but an empty seat next to you if you are a foreigner, as soon as you stand up to get off the japanese guys legs suddenly become tired and want to sit down now.

So its good and bad.

Tams

Can confirm that I got a side order of clam for free whenever I ordered fast food there.

Wasn't always wanted though.

I'm joking. The romanticisation of Japan is insane. It's a great country, but has a quite a few, deep rooted problems (that few seem to care to even talk about).

Hip Hop

Can confirm that I got a side order of clam for free whenever I ordered fast food there.

Wasn't always wanted though.

I'm joking. The romanticisation of Japan is insane. It's a great country, but has a quite a few, deep rooted problems (that few seem to care to even talk about).
I've always wanted to visit Japan, and yeah, it may have to do with that romanticization tbh

Any deep rooted problems Japan has that some don't care to talk about? I'd like to know tbh.

bitbydeath

What is normal is that every girl working in Mcdonalds is more attractive than most women in tv and movies in the west. Thats what struck me when I first arrived.
I’m more worried about just how ugly women in America are, this isn’t the first time hearing something like this.

Baffles the mind.

Tams

I've always wanted to visit Japan, and yeah, it may have to do with that romanticization tbh

Any deep rooted problems Japan has that some don't care to talk about? I'd like to know tbh.

As a tourist you'll almost certainly not notice them.

In my humble opinion, Japan is:
  • #1 to visit as a tourist.
  • Fantastic to live in short term (a couple of years).
  • On the lower end of developed countries to live in long term. Though if you don't care about wider parts of society and love rules, then it'll be much higher.

Raonak

Banned

School-age looking girls giving out pamphlets to maid cafes and stuff. Super creepy.

I noticed a lot of Japaneses people have bad teeth. like not rotten, but wonky.

Work home balance is non-existent from what i've heard.

10/10 place to visit though if you're an anime/videogame nerd.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Well there's the working yourself to death part.

All that enjoyable part of Japanese entertainment? Good luck finding the time for it.

NahaNago

I generally saw attractive women just about everywhere in Tokyo but it also could be because they don't have a massive number of obese women everywhere like in the U.S.

I was so close to just all of a sudden taking a vacation to Japan in two weeks due to the airplane ticket prices, even hunted down my passport, but I don't want to stay there for a week or 2 but for 2 to 3 months.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

School-age looking girls giving out pamphlets to maid cafes and stuff. Super creepy.

I noticed a lot of Japaneses people have bad teeth. like not rotten, but wonky.

Work home balance is non-existent from what i've heard.

10/10 place to visit though if you're an anime/videogame nerd.

The ultra creepy shit seems more exclusive to Tokyo and the big cities, in smaller cities and towns I didn't come across much of it.

I don't understand why they have wonky teeth. My experience with dentistry in Japan was great. It was so cheap, so accessible and the care was amazing - all compared to the UK.

Work / home / family balance for a lot of Japanese is quite awful from what I gathered in my time living there. Worst in the public sector like Education and any Government or public service jobs. Also probably for most companies, but I think its slowly improving for some. At the very least they get around 20 public holidays a year and work leave too, I think 10-20 days depending on the job. In education, I got 20 days leave + 20 public holidays. It was a good deal and I had freedom as a filthy Gaijin to use my leave without criticism in a way the natives perhaps werent. Another issue outside of the long work hours is poor salary. Minimum wage in the UK is about double what it is in Japan. They must have a hidden poverty crisis that's not really discussed. - about $7p/h in Tokyo....

Its a 10/10 place to visit if you love hiking, nature, temples and of course the cuisine etc. During my 3 years there I mostly stuck to rural areas for trips and hiked up many a mountain and witnessed some of the most beautiful sights in my life thus far. The food was simple but so satisfying too.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Also whats normal is a packed train with people stanbding up but an empty seat next to you if you are a foreigner, as soon as you stand up to get off the japanese guys legs suddenly become tired and want to sit down now.

So its good and bad.

They don't have fat people except for sumo wrestlers.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Don't get me wrong, I love Japan.
They have such an extraordinary culture and yet they can be so weird.
Just to pose a thought experiment, how long would you have to be engulfed in Japanese culture for it to not be weird?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I ask the question because America has so many cultures intertwined, so that might be a bad comparison.
It's almost impossible to pin down what American "culture" is.

Whereas, Japanese culture seems mostly homogeneous.

Last edited:
Materialism (advertising), ageism (leaving the elderly alone to rot), crabs-in-a-bucketism (always watch out for #1), the pageantry of any given NFL game, and more.

I don't watch TV, so when I do witness the non-stop faceblast that is television commercials, I get very weirded out and like I'm watching something alien. Like this dystopian satire come to life:

Burgess Meredith Meme GIF

Top Bottom