• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread has been PWNED - the management

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaC

thanks to marques11 on IGNboards.

From Gamewatch:

GW: Why the sudden announcement to make it on PS2.

Kobayashi: In order to help stablize our revenue and create better relations with shareholders and increase the value of our stock we chose to port RE4. It was purely a business decesion.

GW: Despite your previous claims on RE4 being GC exclusive.

Kobayashi: When I made those comments, I was am the acting producer on RE4. Having said that, at the time it was a choice we made that RE4 could generate a profit (break even) on the GC. And as a producer, that is my only concern. For the game to be reputable and generate pure profit. And I believe it could have. But there are other factors that were outside of the development staff that caused the game to be ported. This deceision was made by non-developers, those who's job is to ensure the Capcom's future finicial sucess. Apparently, the PS2 was seen as extra profit, and thus we were told to port it. My say is only limited, but at the time, and my perspective I was 100% confident and sure it would remain GC exclusive.

GW: Forever?

Kobayashi: As far as I was concerned, sure. But keep in mind, the PS2 port will come 3 to 5 Quarters after the GC release. In our relationship with Nintendo, they still see this game as Nintendo Exclusive.

GW: Can you comment on these rumors about many of the design staff leaving.

Kobayashi: Personally, I'm upset with Capcom's deceision but as a producer I understand where they are coming from. Regarding the other staff, this isn't a rumor. It's truth. They are moving to Clover Studios. However, that is still a studio that is onwed by Capcom. It's a part of Capcom. Profits and pubslishing is still from Capcom etc.

GW: So Mikami is done with the RE series.

Kobyashi: I do not know. Depending on how well some of our newer large titles sell (DMC3 and Viewtiful Joe 2) determine a lot of future things. I cannot say. But if Mikami wanted to , he can and very well make another RE game. Clover studios has full access to the licensing equipment, brands etc that belong to Capcom, and obviously vice-versa. That is why Dante was in Viewtiful Joe (ps2-port). Dante belongs to Capcom but Clover still has rights to him just like any other Capcom Studio.

GW: Is it true that many of the design staff is upset with the higher "ups" at Capcom.

Kobayashi: No. Definantly not. And Never. They are all hardworking people and ultimately, they all want their game to be played by more people than not. We understand that some Nintendo fans are upset, but that is their problem. They need to understand that a company must maximize each games profit to stablize revenue and generate a higher return so we can continue to make quality and ground-breaking games.

GW: You talk about maxing out each game's potential revenue, so why don't you consider porting the DMC series to Gamecube? Being that it's a multi-million+seller, it could certainly find a home on the GC console as DMC and RE are very similar games in terms of target audience and fan base.

Kobayashi: This could happen at many requests...

GW: And finally, what do you have to say to those that are thrilled about the news, those that are concerned for Capcom, and those that aren't so glad to hear what has happened.

Kobayashi: Re4 has been designed for the Gamecube. Beyond that I cannot say more. But certainly keep that in mind. It will also appear on the GC early 2005, almost a year before the PS2 port. That is still exclusive in business relation terms. We only do this to stablize more profit, so that we can create stronger games and help prepare us for the large R&D costs that come with the next-generation consoles. We hope you'll play RE4, it's a great game I am truly proud of. Please, be optimistic that the RE series will now expand to greater lengths and more people can be introduced to the game series they all know and love, and help support.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Kobayashi: As far as I was concerned, sure. But keep in mind, the PS2 port will come 3 to 5 Quarters after the GC release. In our relationship with Nintendo, they still see this game as Nintendo Exclusive.
Its not. Especially now that the cat is out of the bag.

snapty00

Banned
Kobayashi: Personally, I'm upset with Capcom's deceision but as a producer I understand where they are coming from
That's about the most reasonable view of it. Being upset is one thing, but if someone left Capcom because of the decision, I'd say good riddance.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
We understand that some Nintendo fans are upset, but that is their problem.
:lol That's awesome.

Jeez, what a level-headed guy. The industry -- and even the world as a whole -- could use a lot more people like him.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Man, Clover was already a fucking awesome studio from what we've seen, with RE4 staffers on board it's going to blow the rest of Capcom away.

WarPig

Where's the original interview? Today's Game Watch update doesn't have anything about Resident Evil...

DFS.

Funny, my views really match up with his. While everyone, including PS2 fans, were freaking out on this board I was scratching my head. So more people are going to have access to an amazing game, GameCube owners still get the pure version, and they get it a year early, and they're mad? As a player, this news wasn't that big of a deal.

The only thing that really makes me shake my head is that they announced this right now. What kind of company goes out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot (in terms of generating hype) just before the launch of their biggest title?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
JasoNsider said:
Funny, my views really match up with his. While everyone, including PS2 fans, were freaking out on this board I was scratching my head. So more people are going to have access to an amazing game, GameCube owners still get the pure version, and they get it a year early, and they're mad? As a player, this news wasn't that big of a deal.

The only thing that really makes me shake my head is that they announced this right now. What kind of company goes out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot (in terms of generating hype) just before the launch of their biggest title?

The reason why Nintendo fans, including me, were upset, was because this was THE big GC 3rd party exclusive, and we "lost" that exclusivity.

GaimeGuy said:
The reason why Nintendo fans, including me, were upset, was because this was THE big GC 3rd party exclusive, and we "lost" that exclusivity.

Yes, but as a game player, you're still getting one of the most ass-kicking games we've ever seen in its purest forms and a year before everyone else. As a gamer, this should not really affect you. Sure, if this was a football match, Nintendo's quarterback just got sacked 20 yards back. But as a gamer your primary concerns are a) get the best game you can get and b) get them as fast as you can.

If you think this sort of thing will put a damper on my RE4 experience come January, you can definitely think again.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not to mention that there's the off chance that by the time RE4 hits the PS2, people might be focusing on the next wave of hardware.

Possibly not, but... Still, almost a year!

WarPig

GaimeGuy said:

And so you lost...uh...what, exactly? In any kind of tangible sense. Traction in the occasional flamewar?

This is what the gradual departure of organized religion from American life has created. Kids all over the place finding the most fucked-up gods to worship.

Although, I dunno. A 2000-years-dead guy on a cross, some wacky-lookin' motherfucker with six arms, a little purple box, which one's the weirdest idol in the bigger picture?

DFS.

Bishman

GW: You talk about maxing out each game's potential revenue, so why don't you consider porting the DMC series to Gamecube? Being that it's a multi-million+seller, it could certainly find a home on the GC console as DMC and RE are very similar games in terms of target audience and fan base.

Kobayashi: This could happen at many requests...

I like this quote. Lets hope we see more games like DMC ported over to the GC.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
WarPig said:
And so you lost...uh...what, exactly? In any kind of tangible sense. Traction in the occasional flamewar?

This is what the gradual departure of organized religion from American life has created. Kids all over the place finding the most fucked-up gods to worship.

Although, I dunno. A 2000-years-dead guy on a cross, some wacky-lookin' motherfucker with six arms, a little purple box, which one's the weirdest idol in the bigger picture?

DFS.
POTM

WarPig

Mama Smurf said:
So is it fake?

If they're talking about Impress Game Watch, this is NOT the kind of interview they would ever conduct or publish. But maybe there's just another Gamewatch, I can't keep track of all the damn Japanese sites out there to save my life.

DFS.

snapty00

Banned
WarPig said:

DFS.
This post made sense into you went off into a pointless rant about religion.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
BoomerBag.jpg

jenov4

Sounds like it can be legit, but nothing new in terms of information.

We understand that some Nintendo fans are upset, but that is their problem.

Man what a classic quote. I'm sure Nintendo fanboys am cry. Big CRY!

OH YEAH, IBL. :lol

Screenboy

I'd be happy if the DMC series was ported over to the Gamecube, I really liked the first one, the second one was crap but the third looks good and wouldn't mind playing it without owning a PS2.

-SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom