• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thought Australia was deadly enough? How about trees that cause excruciating pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
Old but probably never been posted.
GympiePlant_9008_crBrianCassey_main.jpg

One of the world’s most venomous plants, the Gympie-Gympie stinging tree can cause months of excruciating pain for unsuspecting humans.

The entomologist and ecologist’s first encounter with the Gympie-Gympie stinging tree produced a sneezing fit and left her eyes and nose running for hours. Even protective particle masks and welding gloves could not spare her several subsequent stings – one requiring hospitalisation – but that was nothing compared with the severe allergy she developed.

“Being stung is the worst kind of pain you can imagine; like being burnt with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time,” said Marina, who at the time was a postgraduate student at James Cook University investigating the herbivores that eat stinging trees. “The allergic reaction developed over time, causing extreme itching and huge hives that eventually required steroid treatment. At that point my doctor advised that I should have no further contact with the plant and I didn’t object.”

North Queensland road surveyor A.C. Macmillan was among the first to document the effects of a stinging tree, reporting to his boss in 1866 that his packhorse “was stung, got mad, and died within two hours”. Similar tales abound in local folklore of horses jumping in agony off cliffs and forestry workers drinking themselves silly to dull the intractable pain.

Writing to Marina in 1994, Australian ex-serviceman Cyril Bromley described falling into a stinging tree during mili­tary training on the tableland in World War II. Strapped to a hospital bed for three weeks and administered all manner of unsuccessful treatments, he was sent “as mad as a cut snake” by the pain. Cyril also told of an officer shooting himself after using a stinging-tree leaf for “toilet purposes”.

He’s had too many stings to count but Ernie Rider will never forget the day in 1963 that he was slapped in the face, arms and chest by a stinging tree. “I remember it feeling like there were giant hands trying to squash my chest,” he said. “For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower.”

Now a senior conservation officer with the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, Ernie said he’s not experienced anything like the pain during 44 years work in the bush. “There’s nothing to rival it; it’s 10 times worse than anything else – scrub ticks, scrub itch and itchy-jack sting included. Stinging trees are a real and present danger.”

So swollen was Les Moore after being stung across the face several years ago that he said he resembled Mr Potato Head.

“I think I went into anaphylactic shock and it took days for my sight to recover,” said Les, a scientific officer with the CSIRO Division of Wildlife and Ecology in Queensland, who was near Bartle Frere (North Peak) studying cassowaries when disaster struck. “Within minutes the initial stinging and burning intensified and the pain in my eyes was like someone had poured acid on them. My mouth and tongue swelled up so much that I had trouble breathing. It was debilitating and I had to blunder my way out of the bush.”

It was perhaps this rapid and savage reaction that inspired the British Army’s interest in the more sinister applications of the Gympie-Gympie stinging tree in 1968. That year, the Chemical Defence Establishment at Porton Down (a top-secret laboratory that developed chemical weapons) contracted Alan Seawright, then a Professor of Pathology at the University of Queensland, to dispatch stinging-tree specimens.

“Chemical warfare is their work, so I could only assume that they were investigating its potential as a biological weapon,” said Alan, now an honorary research consultant to the University of Queensland’s National Research Centre in Environmental Toxicology. “I never heard anything more, so I guess we’ll never know.”
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/gympie-gympie-once-stung-never-forgotten.htm

So horrible the British wanted it as a biological weapon. Holy shit. Well seeing as we have the deadliest insects, spiders and snakes infested with massive crocs and man-eating sharks it was about time the trees caught up a bit!
Ts5Fp.jpg

Darklord

Banned
I would have thought people would have been more interested in weird stuff like this. I never even heard of planets like this till now...

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I would have thought people would have been more interested in weird stuff like this. I never even heard of planets like this till now...

Probably already saw it on reddit.

Oh God, I've become one of those 'saw it on reddit' people.

Wazzim

Banned
Is everything in Australia so deadly because of the sparse resources or something? Central AUS sounds like a hell to live in.

akira28

Yah I've heard that there are plants out there in the same vein and the stinging nettle, and that in prehistory there were even more and probably more dangerous versions.

Darklord

Banned
Is everything in Australia so deadly because of the sparse resources or something? Central AUS sounds like a hell to live in.

It's natures way of protecting all mass amounts of coal and weapons grade uranium. Also, barely anyone lives in central Australia. Pretty much 90% of the population is on the east coast.

abusori

This one has finally put me over the edge. Australia, I will never visit you. Never.

Probably already saw it on reddit.

Oh God, I've become one of those 'saw it on reddit' people.

Is it bad that I don't really know what reddit even is?
I feel like I should never visit it.

Man

You are not in Kansas anymore. In this land every living thing that crawls, flies, or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubes.

Everything in Australia has silly names, even the deadly stuff.

That's because most areas were named from the original Aboriginal words for them. The Yarra River that runs through the heart of Melbourne is from the Aboriginal 'Yarra Yarra' which essentially means water-cascade, for example.

crown-towers-on-the-yarra-river-2940.jpg

I am getting sick of all of these 'Australia is so dangerous' stories. I have a day off from work today, but I have to take my other half to the train station. I'll continue the argument once I'm back but it may take a while. I have to first make sure that there are no funnel-web spiders waiting for me that I upset while gardening last weekend.

*Grabs can of insect-spray, puts on leather gloves, apron and face shield*

I am getting sick of all of these 'Australia is so dangerous' stories. I have a day off from work today, but I have to take my other half to the train station. I'll continue the argument once I'm back but it may take a while. I have to first make sure that there are no funnel-web spiders waiting for me that I upset while gardening last weekend.

*Grabs can of insect-spray, puts on leather gloves, apron and face shield*

Don't forget your sword. And shaman charms.

Wazzim

Banned
The first documentary I had ever seen about Australia's nature when I was a kid, was about little insects who sit under your blanket ready to infect you. I immediately knew that the country was fucked up nature wise.

Amazing cities though.

It's natures way of protecting all mass amounts of coal and weapons grade uranium. Also, barely anyone lives in central Australia. Pretty much 90% of the population is on the east coast.

True. A landmass roughly equivalent to North America only with a population around the same as the state of New York. Pretty much just hang around within a couple of hours of the beaches... ;)

Don't forget your sword. And shaman charms.

All good. I made a deal with the spider King. They will leave me be, but get my firstborn.

Jackson50

Cyril also told of an officer shooting himself after using a stinging-tree leaf for “toilet purposes”.
A friend committed this painful mistake with poison ivy while drunk. I can only imagine the misery caused by making that mistake with this plant.

Kinyou

Sounds similar to the Heracleum mantegazzianum

The sap of Giant Hogweed causes phytophotodermatitis in humans, resulting in blisters, long-lasting scars, and—if it comes in contact with eyes—blindness.

Still don't understand why anyone lives there

Because of the amazing quality of life. Low unemployment, low interest rates, relatively high average wage.

Also, let's put things in perspective, Australia has about 10 of the deadliest species of snakes in the world. Since 1980 there have been about 40 snake-related deaths in Australia.

In 2007 there were over 12,000 firearm homicide deaths in the US.

Statistically, I am infinitely more likely to be die from a gunshot in America than if I were to roll around the bush in Australia teasing snakes for having no legs.

I still don't understand why anyone lives there.

images

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
My favourites the Lawyer Vine or Wait-a-While, not poisonous but still a fucking god awful thing. It's like it was designed solely to trap people.

Uchip

Banned
gympie gympie?
pretty silly name for something so dangerous

Since 1980 there have been about 40 snake-related deaths in Australia.

In 2007 there were over 12,000 firearm homicide deaths in the US.
[/IMG]

It is pretty funny that people think that major Australian cities have spiders and snakes crawling through them :p

PK Gaming

Wow, this is simultaneously horrifying but awesome at the same time.

He’s had too many stings to count but Ernie Rider will never forget the day in 1963 that he was slapped in the face, arms and chest by a stinging tree. “I remember it feeling like there were giant hands trying to squash my chest,” he said. “For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower.”

Hahahaha. I know I shouldn't laugh at the misfortune of others, but this is too damn funny.

gympie gympie?
It is pretty funny that people think that major Australian cities have spiders and snakes crawling through them :p

It's not unusual to drive past a Brown Snake basking during summer but I live about an our out of Melbourne. I have found Red Back, Funnel Web, Wolf and White-Tail spiders around my house at various times.

We also had some huge awesome amazing looking banana-spiders that build incredible webs in the garden. Unlike the others I mentioned, I think they are fairly harmless. They were so industrious I didn't have the heart to destroy their web. Still, my girlfriend called that area of the yard 'Death Cove'.

kmob

Neo Member
Here in NZ we've got a similar - but not as bad - type of spiky poisonous tree too.

It's the Tree nettle (also known as the Ongaonga) Urtica ferox. It's known to have killed horses and reasonably recently a hunter died from it. It's also quite a common plant here too, but bizarrely not that many folk seem to know about it..

On Boxing Day 1961 two young men hunting in the Ruahine Range stumbled through a patch of tree nettle and received a number of stings on their limbs. Within an hour one of them had difficulty in walking and breathing, and then lost his sight. He died five hours later in hospital.His friend had similar symptoms, but recovered.

Here's another (non fatal) account from the NZ Medical Journal 106, no. 957 (9 June 1993): 234

On April 28, a stoical, experienced 60 year old hunter, was on a three day trip deerstalking with two friends in the Kaweka Ranges on the southern side of the remote Mangatainoka River. They were to be collected by helicopter at a prearranged time, and carried no means of emergency communication.

At around 9am while descending into a small clearing, he slipped on wet grass, and fell into a tree nettle known as ongaonga, Urtica ferox. He was scratched about the legs, face and hands. Within the first 15–20 minutes he began to experience severe abdominal cramps, and thereafter a terrible burning sensation in his feet, and visual blurring.

By the time he reached camp at 10.30am, he was weak, confused and pale, sweating profusely, salivating, and beginning to struggle for breath. His companions report his ability to hold a cup was grossly impaired by shaking. He was writhing in agony from cramps. He became hypothermic despite multiple layers of woollen clothing, a mountain-down sleeping bag, and fires being lit in an attempt to warm him. He was unable to speak clearly, but denied hallucinations or loss of consciousness. He did not sleep until midnight, when he began to feel a little warmer.

Before dawn he attempted to leave the tent to pass urine, but was unable to stand or control his lower limbs, falling repeatedly. His companions came to his rescue, and replaced him in his bag. He was now freezing cold after exposure to the -5° C temperatures, and again experienced extreme difficulty breathing.

Twenty-four hours after the encounter with Urtica ferox he was able to walk stifflegged around the clearing with the assistance of his friends. The helicopter arrived in the afternoon and he returned home late that evening.

On presentation the next day, his gait remained stiff, and he complained of residual tingling in fingers and tongue, muscular stiffness and soreness in his shoulders and limbs, and a foul taste in association with some flavours. He was orientated and appropriate in behaviour, and able to give a good account of events. Examination revealed increased muscle tone in lower limbs, and grip strength bilaterally reduced, but little else of note.

Alebrije

“Being stung is the worst kind of pain you can imagine; like being burnt with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time,” said Marina, who at the time was a postgraduate student at James Cook University investigating the herbivores that eat stinging trees.

I wonder how does she knows how hot acid and beign electrocuted feels....

FStop7

Banned
Just a random point, but...

This sort of horrific thing is probably candy compared to the kinds of hostile stuff we'll encounter if we ever set foot other worlds with indigenous life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom