• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thought Australia was deadly enough? How about trees that cause excruciating pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these Australia threads would make anyone completely paranoid, can we get some Aussies up in here to clear the overexaggerations?

What are the chances I'll meet huge spiders or other ridiculously creepy insects in my daily life in a city?

Darklord

Banned
All these Australia threads would make anyone completely paranoid, can we get some Aussies up in here to clear the overexaggerations?

What are the chances I'll meet huge spiders or other ridiculously creepy insects in my daily life in a city?

City life? You'll be fine. Nothing bigger than this, I swear!

huntsman-spider.jpg

Because of the amazing quality of life. Low unemployment, low interest rates, relatively high average wage.

Also, let's put things in perspective, Australia has about 10 of the deadliest species of snakes in the world. Since 1980 there have been about 40 snake-related deaths in Australia.

In 2007 there were over 12,000 firearm homicide deaths in the US.

Statistically, I am infinitely more likely to be die from a gunshot in America than if I were to roll around the bush in Australia teasing snakes for having no legs.

I still don't understand why anyone lives there.

images

Amen

Gattsu25

Banned
That's because most areas were named from the original Aboriginal words for them. The Yarra River that runs through the heart of Melbourne is from the Aboriginal 'Yarra Yarra' which essentially means water-cascade, for example.

crown-towers-on-the-yarra-river-2940.jpg

I am getting sick of all of these 'Australia is so dangerous' stories. I have a day off from work today, but I have to take my other half to the train station. I'll continue the argument once I'm back but it may take a while. I have to first make sure that there are no funnel-web spiders waiting for me that I upset while gardening last weekend.

*Grabs can of insect-spray, puts on leather gloves, apron and face shield*
I'm not even Australian and I still don't see how Yarra is considered a weird word.. Am I missing something?

ajim

I'm not even Australian and I still don't see how Yarra is considered a weird word.. Am I missing something?

He just used the Yarra as an example. It's not a 'weird' word. He was trying to explain why we have so many 'weird' words.

Darklord - don't you live in Australia? Surprised you haven't heard of them until now.

I guess people from tropical areas who venture in to the rainforest just learn to live with it.

I've never been stung by a stinging tree, but they're generally easy to avoid - they like to grow in sunny patches of rainforest that are caused by trees falling over. When coming to a clearing in the rainforest, just be on extra guard.

My dad's been hit once or twice but only smalls parts on his legs or arms. I was bush bashing with him on one occasion - he was definitely in a bit of pain that day.

One bush cure is to burn the 'hairs' of the tree from your skin. Light some paper on fire and brush it against your skin. I don't think that really helped him last time.

As for me, I'll take the occasional stinging tree if the rainforest wasn't fucking overrun with Wait-a-while: http://rainforest-australia.com/Wait-a-While.htm

Opposite each leaf there is a stiff leafless stem of one to two metres in length with backward facing hooks which allow the plant to be a successful canopy climber.
These hooked stems are known to catch on to people's clothing, giving it the common names - Wait-a-While, or Lawyer Vine.

These barbs stick in to your skin - if you keep walking they rip it up. You have to stop and unhook them.

My favourites the Lawyer Vine or Wait-a-While, not poisonous but still a fucking god awful thing. It's like it was designed solely to trap people.

Fucking lawyer vine man. My grandparents had a farm at *gasp* Gympie. Never came across any Gympie-Gympie (never even heard of it until this thread) but I was exploring the bush one time with my brother when I was a kid and snagged on some lawyer vine. Shit wrapped right around my entire leg filling me with barbs. Urgh.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Fucking lawyer vine man. My grandparents had a farm at *gasp* Gympie. Never came across any Gympie-Gympie (never even heard of it until this thread) but I was exploring the bush one time with my brother when I was a kid and snagged on some lawyer vine. Shit wrapped right around my entire leg filling me with barbs. Urgh.

Guy I worked with used to be in the army and they had to do exercises in the forest, one dude ran into a batch and got lifted off the ground.

Sharpest thorns I've ever seen.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
map

I've done a crapload of bushwalking around Brisbane, and I've never heard of this plant.

Last year a friend and I set out to climb a relatively large rocky outcrop which we discovered was significantly overgrown. After battling for quite some time to reach the outcrop's base we had a short rest before beginning our ascent. For reference, our location was essentially in the middle of the southernmost blue dot on the above map. How very lucky. Anyway, after clambering up a few boulders we came across a tree that looked very out of place amongst the dry brown scrub that had done its best to lacerate us up to this point. Bright, verdant green leaves with a soft, rounded form. Very inviting. Somehow my friend ended up touching it and began to explain rather enthusiastically about how much pain this act had caused him. Being a rational and sensible human being, I of course could not take his word for it and decided to find out for myself just how bad the pain this tree caused was, so I gingerly reached out and placed one fingertip on a nearby leaf.

Moments later, as I was violently stomping and hopping around, cursing in agony, a fresh offshoot from the tree became wrapped around my leg. It fucking hurt. I wouldn't necessarily agree with the acid/electrocution simile; it was more like the pain from nettle amplified tenfold. I guess the tingling from the hairs entering your skin could feel like an electric pulse.

Needless to say, it was an intensely unpleasant experience, but the pain only lasted around half an hour at most and the drop-off from the sharpness of the initial torment was pretty rapid. If it had lasted for days I don't want to know what might have become of my sanity. This tree should be given to expectant mothers who want their partners to share the pain of childbirth, assuming that they are giving birth to a fully grown African Horned Desert Tortoise or possibly a grater.

::Mark Whalberg Happening gif::

I bet someone beat me, so I'll just ask, what types of flora and fauna can't fuck you up in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom