• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
To be fair James Gunn had a strong indie track record and fanbase going into GotG. He was a director proven capable of quality work at a smaller scale prior to GotG. Peyton Reed's track record is pretty awful rom-coms.

so are you on team, Anti-Ant-Man?

And now GotG turned out to be the biggest movie of 2014 domestically.

Also a friendly reminder to those doubting Ant-Man the last time GAF counted against an obscure Marvel property.

Did GotG have such a weird development process though, basically getting any director that would do the job?

Neoxon

Did GotG have such a weird development process though, basically getting any director that would do the job?
Peyton Reed was actually in the running to be director of GotG, & was close to getting the job before James Gunn came along. At the very least, Reed was on Marvel's short list for a while.

Artorias

Banned
Wow, I just read that James Gunn wrote The Toy Collector? I had no idea it was the same guy. I read that when I was a teenager and absolutely adored it.

tcrunch

Also a friendly reminder to those doubting Ant-Man the last time GAF counted against an obscure Marvel property.

I wish his name wasn't Ant-Man, but I guess it's not any more ridiculous than "Guardians of the Galaxy" and a trailer with a talking raccoon.

Cheebo

Banned
Peyton Reed was actually in the running to be director of GotG, & was close to getting the job before James Gunn came along. At the very least, Reed was on Marvel's short list for a while.
Doesn't change that the production mess shortly before shooting isn't comparable to GoTG. I do not speak of box office but quality. I am sure it will make a ton on the Marvel name.

GoTG had a normal pre-production process and a well liked indie director with a lot of promise. Ant-Man had a chaotic pre-production with a director replaced weeks before shooting and the director it ended up with has a very mediocre track record.

Very very different situations

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Doesn't change that the production mess shortly before shooting isn't comparable to GoTG. I do not speak of box office but quality. I am sure it will make a ton on the Marvel name.

GoTG had a normal pre-production process and a well liked indie director with a lot of promise. Ant-Man had a chaotic pre-production with a director replaced weeks before shooting and the director it ended up with has a very mediocre track record.

Very very different situations

Alot of that production mess can be blamed on Wright dragging his feet and extending the pre-production process for many years.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
3886633-2559988948-37837.gif

Cheebo

Banned
Alot of that production mess can be blamed on Wright dragging his feet and extending the pre-production process for many years.
But who is to blame doesn't change anything that I said. a messy pre-production that ended with a director with a bad track record (Ant-Man) vs. a normal pre-production process with a director with acclaim and strong potential (GotG)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
But who is to blame doesn't change anything that I said. a messy pre-production that ended with a director with a bad track record (Ant-Man) vs. a normal pre-production process with a director with acclaim and strong potential (GotG)

Don't get me wrong, GOTG was a great film, but James Gunn wasn't exactly a household name when it comes to acclaimed, well known directors. I'd say it was on par with Reed's track record. You can even make the same case with the Russos, who haven't had successes with film and were primarily known for their TV work.

Neoxon

Don't get me wrong, GOTG was a great film, but James Gunn wasn't exactly a household name when it comes to acclaimed, well known directors. I'd say it was on par with Reed's track record. You can even make the same case with the Russos, who haven't had successes with film and were primarily known for their TV work.
That's actually a good comparison. While Gunn wasn't exactly well-known, he has had cult favorites prior to GotG in the form of Slither & Super.

Don't we have to wait until the last film released domestically in 2014 leaves second run before that distinction can be made, though?

Or is it too far out of reach for Mockingjay pt. 1 to hit domestically before it goes?

Cheebo

Banned

How is his track record on par with Reeds? Gunn had a cult following who really liked him prior to GotG. Reed is a studio guy through and through.

Neoxon

Don't we have to wait until the last film released domestically in 2014 leaves second run before that distinction can be made, though?

Or is it too far out of reach for Mockingjay pt. 1 to hit domestically before it goes?
Fair enough, I guess check back in after a month?

inm8num2

LOL, I'm quoted in the OP. Apparently a conservative box office estimate is the equivalent of saying a movie will be trash. :p

Sapiens

LOL, I'm quoted in the OP. Apparently a conservative box office estimate is the equivalent of saying a movie will be trash. :p

People take their Marvel VERY seriously. They want you to know that a company made a lot of money. They need to show you that. It makes them feel that their endless hours boosting a film for free online were good for something.

I hadn't seen this until recently but it was definitely an enjoyable film, more so than most comic book based films. Had a lot of character and humour to it. I'd honestly never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before this film so had no expectations going in but was pleasantly surprised.

kswiston

Yeah, I guess the only movie in contention still is Mockingjay, so we won't really know whether GOTG took the domestic title belt until Mockingjay's run is done.

I would put money on Mockingjay beating GOTG domestically at this point. It is more or less matching Catching Fire's late run, and Catching Fire made close to $25M after Day 42 in its run. Mockingjay needs around $17M to pass Guardians. Probably closer to $10M after this weekend.

so are you on team, Anti-Ant-Man?

Don't know if this is the thread to do this, but I'll play the devil's advocate. I think ant-man will be marvel's lowest selling movie franchise domestically. Right now I think Captain America holds that @ $179 million.

Don't know if this is the thread to do this, but I'll play the devil's advocate. I think ant-man will be marvel's lowest selling movie franchise domestically. Right now I think Captain America holds that @ $179 million.

Predicting any marvel film at this point to do under Cap1 numbers is lunacy.

The hype is too damn high

LosDaddie

Banned
People take their Marvel VERY seriously. They want you to know that a company made a lot of money. They need to show you that. It makes them feel that their endless hours boosting a film for free online were good for something.

Tell us where it hurts.

Ivan 3414

It's focus tested to hell and back for 12 years olds for god's sake it's on par with TMNT with the depth and (bad) jokes. "I am groot I am groot. . ."

Why is "focus test" such an evil word for nerds.

Most, if not all blockbuster movies are focus tested and we enjoy plenty of those.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, saw this movie the other day and I wanted to stop watching after 20 minutes. It was a seriously boring intro.

Got better as it went along and I'd say it's alright. Definitely the lower tier of comic book movies.

terrene

Banned
Yeah, that 76 on metacritic is ironclad proof of its quality. I mean, that kinda "middle C" grade is only beat out by really top tier shit, like shit that gets a B minus! Like, obviously, it's not as good as a masterpiece like Face/Off or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, or the universally loved Dark Knight Rises, which all scored higher. But it's right in there with unforgettable classics that share its score like The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Secret Lives of Dentists, and of course, Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!.

More Marvel movies -- they're all so special and amazing!

Yeah, that 76 on metacritic is ironclad proof of its quality. I mean, that kinda "middle C" grade is only beat out by really top tier shit, like shit that gets a B minus! Like, obviously, it's not as good as a masterpiece like Face/Off or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, or the universally loved Dark Knight Rises, which all scored higher. But it's right in there with unforgettable classics that share its score like The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Secret Lives of Dentists, and of course, Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!.

More Marvel movies -- they're all so special and amazing!

Dat 90% on RT with 226 positive reviews though.

PsychBat!

Banned
BRB calling Comcast to slow down my internet connection. A guy with a Spider Man avatar is defending comic book movies on the internet with such amazing arguments that I can't process it in real time.

Did someone seriously say someone's opinion of it is wrong? And of course he has a Spider-Man avatar.

Oh no, I have a Spider-Man avatar! Whatever shall I do!? Good golly, is that all you can get at me with? "Oh this guy has a Spider-Man avatar CLEARLY he'll defend a Marvel movie till the end of time!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom