• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, why so much hate for Thor? The first one was pretty enjoyable, and funny. Second one had a good first half though admittedly the second half kind of got bogged down (though still pretty alright overall). Does it like deviate a lot from the comics or what?

The only Marvel films I hated and likely won't ever watch again are Iron Man 2 and 3.

I’ll just leave this here:

8jZKytX.jpg

Verendus

Banned
Iron Man 3 is so garbage. It also managed to disgrace the IP's top villain. How people are cool with that, I have no idea.

Iron Man 2 > Iron Man 3.
Well, I've never read comics so I don't really care about any of that. Strictly as a movie, it's mediocre but I don't consider it as useless as the other movies I rated below it.

You can remove Thor 2, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Captain America without it really affecting anything. WS does in a couple of short scenes better work for Steve Rogers than the entirety of CA which is just a rush job to get to Avengers, and in the process wasting the entire potential of that time period as well as Hugo Weaving. Iron Man 2 is crap, I don't even remember it. Incredible Hulk may as well have been retconned, and the only thing important about Thor 2 is its ending. All four of those are just crap movies.

Sheroking

The only movie I did not have a positive experience with in the MCU was Iron Man 3, but I`ve hated everything Shane Black has ever done (except Last Boy Scout) and I expected it.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I remember seeing the trailer back many months ago saying to myself, "this looks stupid."

Went to go see it yesterday with a friend and by far, one of my favorite movies ever. This movie is an instant classic.

Dalek

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-guardians-of-galaxy-passes-200-million-1201284396/

Box Office: ‘Guardians of Galaxy’ Skyrockets Past $200 Million

“Guardians of Galaxy” has skyrocketed past the $200 million mark at the box office.

Disney-Marvel’s intergalactic pic reached the epic milestone on Friday, in just 15 days, and will haul as much as $221 million by Sunday. After opening to a whopping $94.3 million (and crushing the record for August’s top debut), “Guardians” has been runner-up to “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” at the box office for the last two consecutive weekends.

“Guardians” earned $7 million on Friday en route for a $23 million weekend.

The sci-fi adventure about a rag-tag group of heroes, which cost $170 million to produce, is a hit with both critics and audiences, earning 92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It’s directed by James Gunn and stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper (the voice of Rocket) and Vin Diesel (the voice of Groot). A sequel has already been slated for July 28, 20

“Guardians” is on its way to becoming the top summer film Stateside. Paramount’s “Transformers: Age of Extinction” is the current domestic leader with $243.1 million. The fourth pic in Michael Bay’s growing franchise is also the only movie to cross $1 billion worldwide this year, having earned most of its money (over 75%) overseas.

With $236.4 million, Disney’s “Maleficent” is the summer’s current no. 2 movie. Fox’s “X-Men: Days of Future Past” is third with $232.2 million, “Guardians” is fourth based on Friday figures with $204.5 million and Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ rounds out the top five with $202.8 million.

Maledict

Whilst I didn't think it would bomb, the idea that Guardians would be this years biggest film stateside would have been utterly incomprehensible 6 months ago. The biggest film in the USA this year is a new franchise containing a talking raccoon and a walking tree with an 80s soundtrack.

It even feels weird writing that sentence!

Darkmakaimura

Like I said, I thought the movie looked so stupid when the first trailers came out.

I ate a giant, super-powered crow. I ate Dust. I ate Eric Draven. I ate some serious crow.

Cuburt

Those Guardians legs.

If it hits around 300M domestic like early estimates have pegged it, I'll be blown away. That's a pretty huge success.

BLACKLAC

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-guardians-of-galaxy-passes-200-million-1201284396/

“Guardians” is on its way to becoming the top summer film Stateside. Paramount’s “Transformers: Age of Extinction” is the current domestic leader with $243.1 million. The fourth pic in Michael Bay’s growing franchise is also the only movie to cross $1 billion worldwide this year, having earned most of its money (over 75%) overseas.

With $236.4 million, Disney’s “Maleficent” is the summer’s current no. 2 movie. Fox’s “X-Men: Days of Future Past” is third with $232.2 million, “Guardians” is fourth based on Friday figures with $204.5 million and Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ rounds out the top five with $202.8 million.

?

Cap 2 is at $259,708,900.

I thought this film was pretty average. Glad it went toe to toe with Transformers though, much more well deserved.

Did anyone else think the opening scene felt a lot like Metroid prime? Thought that was pretty cool.

CloudWolf

Saw it yesterday and while I really enjoyed it, I wouldn't say it's Marvel's best movie. I had some serious problems with the way the characters were presented. Except for Star-Lord everyone was introduced with obnoxious exposition scenes and I thought the villian was pretty weak. But then again, none of the Marvel movies so far has had an interesting villian.

My ranking:

Great
Iron Man
Cap 2: The Winter Soldier

Good
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Cap 1: First Avenger
Incredible Hulk

Bad
Thor 2
Iron Man 2

Awful
Thor
Iron Man 3

This was the only Marvel movie other than Thor 1 that I enjoyed more the second time around. Fun as hell.

Ranking:
(early to put it at the top, but) Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Thor 2
Captain America
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

BLACKLAC

Cap 2 > Avengers = Guardians > Cap 1 > Iron Man 3 > Iron Man 1 > Thor 1 > Thor 2 > Hulk = Iron Man 2

Would still need to re-watch Guardians a half dozen more times to see If it's above Avengers.

Neoxon

The fact that I want to see GotG a third time puts it at the top tier for me. I would have done the same and watched Winter Soldier & Avengers more than once at the theater if I had the time or money then.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Oooh, we're doing rankings now, are we? Well, let's see.

Italic for original movies, underlined for Marvel Studios films.

God status:
Spiderman 2
Spiderman
The Incredibles
Superman/Returns
Watchmen

Well worth watching:
X-Men: First Class
Unbreakable
Iron Man
Captain America

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Batman Begins
Scott Pilgrim
The Dark Knight/Rises
Chronicle
Superman II (Richard Donner version)
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Men in Black
Darkman

Decent enough:
Dredd
Spiderman 3
Hellboy 2
Iron Man 2
Batman Returns
The Mask
Iron Man 3
The Rocketeer
Batman
Superman 2 (Richard Lester)
Men in Black III

Just above average:
X-Men 2

Just plain average:
X-Men
Avengers

Just below average:
Thor

Could be better:
Man of Steel
Thor: The Dark World
Batman Forever
X-Men: The Last Stand

Just plain bad:
Superman III
Alien vs. Predator
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!
The Amazing Spiderman
Fantastic Four
Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
Green Lantern
Catwoman
Son of the Mask

Guilty pleasure status:
Batman and Robin
Judge Dredd

You know, I never really got the dislike over Iron Man 2. It's not that bad.

Darkmakaimura

For me right now, it's:

1 - Guardians of the Galaxy
2 - The Avengers
3 - Captain America: The First Avenger
4 - Thor

Those are my four favorite MCU movies. Bottom of the list so far would be Iron Man 2 but I have yet to see Iron Man 3. As far as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I might put it around Thor 2 or slightly below. I didn't enjoy it as much as other people have mentioned it to be.

Oooh, we're doing rankings now, are we? Well, let's see.

Italic for original movies, underlined for Marvel Studios films.

God status:
Spiderman 2
Spiderman
The Incredibles
Superman/Returns Superman Returns? WTF!!!!!! WTF!!!!!
Watchmen

Well worth watching:
X-Men: First Class
Unbreakable
Iron Man
Captain America

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Batman Begins
Scott Pilgrim
The Dark Knight/Rises
Chronicle
Superman II (Richard Donner version)
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Men in Black
Darkman

Decent enough:
Dredd
Spiderman 3
Hellboy 2
Iron Man 2
Batman Returns
The Mask
Iron Man 3
The Rocketeer
Batman
Superman 2 (Richard Lester)
Men in Black III

Just above average:
X-Men 2

Just plain average:
X-Men
Avengers

Just below average:
Thor

Could be better:
Man of Steel
Thor: The Dark World
Batman Forever
X-Men: The Last Stand

Just plain bad:
Superman III
Alien vs. Predator
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!
The Amazing Spiderman
Fantastic Four
Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
Green Lantern
Catwoman
Son of the Mask

Guilty pleasure status:
Batman and Robin
Judge Dredd

You know, I never really got the dislike over Iron Man 2. It's not that bad.

1e99857f0f96b1ff3c48c985bed6f541.jpg

"What are you doing?"

Sketchbag

Banned
I didn't like GotG. The only saving grace was Drax. Forced emotion, forced events, stupid bad guy wanting his bad guy thing, planet was about to be destroyed, Thanos looked so bad because that CGI was lol worthy. It's a movie, to me, that is perfectly described as a theatre experience movie. The jokes aren't remember able so they tend to be funny in a crowd setting.

kswiston

GOTG has a very good chance at passing Cap 2, as it's ahead by $20 million in the 15-day hauls.

GOTG will for sure pass Cap 2. The only way for it not to happen is for theatres to arbitrarily dump the film in the next week or so. Guardians has made more than Cap 2 in its first and second week, and week 3 will be the same. It can have shit legs afterwards and still beat Cap 2.

tanooki27

what a great, funny movie. it may not exactly stack up for a thousand little reasons, but it's the Indiana jones of our time.

Dalek

Box office report: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' tops weekend, becomes No. 1 film of the summer

guardians-of-the-galaxy-04.jpg

Disney’s Guardians of the Galaxy was the top-grossing film of the weekend, beating out a trio of new releases—and in the process, becoming the No. 3 movie of the year and the highest earner of the summer with nearly $252 million.

The Marvel Studios-produced film—starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper and Lee Pace—has now grossed $251.9 million since its stateside release four weeks ago, outpacing films like Transformers: Age of Extinction ($251 million), Maleficent ($237 million), X-Men: Days of Future Past ($232 million total domestic gross), Godzilla ($201 million) and Neighbors ($150 million).

Guardians has earned nearly $500 million globally, and with upcoming releases in key territories including Japan and China, the film is poised to become Disney’s top film of the year.

The offbeat good-guy superhero flick outpaced YA adaptation If I Stay (Cinema Score: A-), which released to $16.5 million. Starring Chloë Grace Moretz, the film came in just ahead of Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, a comic book reboot which surprised industry analysts by being the top earner for two weekends in a row, largely by attracting kids and millennials hungry for nostalgia.

It's not often that nearly a month after release, a film jumps back into the #1 slot.

Blablurn

Well deserved. The on screen chemistry was awesome. The success of this light hearted action movie kinda reminds me of the Fast & Furious success. Both movies succeed because of the great chemistry between the actors.

But of course Guardians success is even more surprising considering the fact it's the first part of this franchise.

DarkFlow

Banned
Can we add this? He said this today lol.

Lol...running into ground. It doesn't look like any Guardians will beat DofP at box office and neither did Cap. So not only is DoFP the most popular movie in it's franchise, but it's also the most popular superhero movie of the year.

Replicant

Proud to be a believer from the beginning. I even offered to make the OT before anyone else was interested and swept by the hype. /chest thumping

Chuckie

I always have a hard time ranking these movies on how 'good' they are, so I will just rank them on how much I enjoyed them.

Movies I enjoyed so much I wanted to see them again the next day:
Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Avengers

Movies I enjoyed, and I would like to watch them again in the near future:
Iron Man, Iron Man 3

Movies I enjoyed:
Captain America, Thor: The Dark World

Movies I didn't enjoy:
Iron Man 2, Thor

Dalek

I always have a hard time ranking these movies on how 'good' they are, so I will just rank them on how much I enjoyed them.

Movies I enjoyed so much I wanted to see them again the next day:
Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Avengers

Movies I enjoyed, and I would like to watch them again in the near future:
Iron Man, Iron Man 3

Movies I enjoyed:
Captain America, Thor: The Dark World

Movies I didn't enjoy:
Iron Man 2, Thor

I watched the first Thor with my daughter yesterday-it was her first time seeing it, and my second-I really enjoyed it more this time. The scene where Thor sacrifices himself and is finally worthy of Mjolnir is fucking awesome.

OnPoint

Oh, ranking time?

Great: IM1, Cap2
Good: Cap1, Avengers
OK: IM3
Forgettable: Thor, Thor 2, IM2, TIH

Haven't seen GOTG yet.

Here's how I'd rank em, based on your qualifiers:

Great: IM1, GotG
Good: Cap2
OK: Avengers, Cap1, Thor, TIH (that's Hulk right?)
Forgettable: IM2, IM3

Never saw Thor 2.

I think Iron Man was better than GotG by a little bit, but I would go see GotG again. I usually don't go see movies twice... so that puts it in another league to me. I also liked it better than Cap 2.

Neoxon

And GotG has passed up Iron Man 1 domestically.

Hopefully China gets GotG some serious cash to round out the feast.

Neoxon

And now GotG turned out to be the biggest movie of 2014 domestically.

Also a friendly reminder to those doubting Ant-Man the last time GAF counted against an obscure Marvel property.

Cheebo

Banned
And now GotG turned out to be the biggest movie of 2014 domestically.

Also a friendly reminder to those doubting Ant-Man the last time GAF counted against an obscure Marvel property.

To be fair James Gunn had a strong indie track record and fanbase going into GotG. He was a director proven capable of quality work at a smaller scale prior to GotG. Peyton Reed's track record is pretty awful rom-coms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom