• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Tis the season of Ebay Scams - advice for what I should do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before that lazy response came through (it sounds like he expected this to be an easy con), I sent this to eBay customer support through "report a buyer":

So at this point I think I've done all I can do so I'm not even going to respond.

Should've called and ask for the resolution department then escalate from there until you get it settled. Don't let them tell you, we'll see what he says or wait for the guy to respond. You want it settled in your favor before there's even a case that the buyer can open.

LifEndz

God, eBay still lets buyers take their sweet time submitting payment. That's incredible.

Seems like just trading in to a retailer and being done with it is worth whatever money is lost compared to selling it directly.

Arkeband

Banned
Should've called and ask for the resolution department then escalate from there until you get it settled. Don't let them tell you, we'll see what he says or wait for the guy to respond. You want it settled in your favor before there's even a case that the buyer can open.

I might still call them since I have no idea where that 'report a buyer' goes.

So this just got a bit weirder...

So the guy is being purposefully obtuse, ignoring my previous statement that I've never had a 1571 graphic card. What should I do?

I can't remember if I used a picture of the BACK of the card with the serial number visible when selling it... but I mean, if he sends me back a 1571 with a different serial number, I can potentially just call EVGA if it was ever registered...

wish i had seen this thread earlier...

run two small businesses selling via PayPal and EBay [for over 6 years now] and it's NEVER a good idea to actually come out and accuse anyone of being a scammer [even when it's obvious].

it's a case of your evidence versus theirs, if you can't provide more compelling evidence, then PayPal will side with them, and have them return the product for a full refund.

typically in a situation like this, i would just ask them to open a claim, complete the claim immediately [by choosing the option to have them return the product for a full refund], and then hope they return the correct product.

if they don't, PayPal will help you out, don't worry about that [they will typically give you your money back to make up for the loss you've experienced].

if it IS a scam, the scammer will typically not risk trying to take the scam further by sending you back the wrong product.

now, if the dude's account IS, indeed, in good standing, there's a chance this is all just a case of confusion.

be friendly, apologize for accusing him of scamming, and see if you can't figure out why he's confused about what he received.

Arkeband

Banned

He wouldn't be sending me back the correct product since he's attached pictures of a different card (different model number sticker), so I'd be getting his (most likely fried) 1571 instead of my 1573.

I don't know if there exists evidence for the equivalent of "prove you didn't send me a boot" without filming the entire shipping process.

...also his account only has a yellow star and 25 ratings(?) which can't be hard to do having a 12 year old account, so it isn't like he's eBay royalty.

I'm not about to fold and give him money back, though, because I know I'm going to be sent back a piece of shit that doesn't belong to me, at which point I'd be on a different quest to prove it doesn't belong to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom