• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They made a poor choice to be there, but I really hope they didn't suffer, nobody deserves that. 😔

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Warning: slightly graphic / gory if you are feeling sensitive today.

This is a strange situation, the actual victims have no clue what happened, but the onlookers are feeling disturbed by their violent deaths.

I still get an inkling that that this is to make us feel better about the outcome.

The freefall alone is anxiety and the utmost fear inducing. Possibly even painful strain in the freefall felt prior to the supposed 20ms implosion.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I still get an inkling that that this is to make us feel better about the outcome.

The freefall alone is anxiety and the utmost fear inducing. Possibly even painful strain in the freefall felt prior to the supposed 20ms implosion.
whats even worse is that the sub tour had everyone sitting or crouching. You couldnt even stand up. Even if the tour was fine, who wants to be in a confined space sitting all afternoon.

Trogdor1123

They were in free fall? How does that happen in a sub?

Thaedolus

Sure but it’s still (probably) an accurate simulation of the final failure.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Warning: slightly graphic / gory if you are feeling sensitive today.

This is a strange situation, the actual victims have no clue what happened, but the onlookers are feeling disturbed by their violent deaths.

crazy just seeing the body compress like that, did their bodies actually create a fiery explosion?!?!

super liquified.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
crazy just seeing the body compress like that, did their bodies actually create a fiery explosion?!?!

super liquified.
drmanhattan-watchman.gif

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
There was an update from the S & R crew or whatever you'd call them at this point a few weeks back. Seems the did find more human remains. Probably not what people are thinking. I'd imagine something more on a micro level lodge within tge wreckage.

Pejo

I just saw that picture moments before visiting this thread. Looks like it crushed from the middle I would guess? I remember all of the simulations showing that it likely imploded and shattered into a million pieces, but that doesn't seem to have been correct.

dave_d

I just saw that picture moments before visiting this thread. Looks like it crushed from the middle I would guess? I remember all of the simulations showing that it likely imploded and shattered into a million pieces, but that doesn't seem to have been correct.
I believe the tail cone was a separate part that wasn't actually sealed off(not at 1 atm) so it just popped off in one piece. Just a picture from wikipedia showing that.(The yellow part)

1920px-OceanGate_Titan_schematic_nevernude.svg.png

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

In addition, they laid out serious problems experienced by the submersible on expeditions carried out before the disaster. In 2021 and 2022, over the course of 13 dives to the Titanic, it had 118 equipment issues.

These included the front dome falling off when it was brought out of the sea, its thrusters failing at 3,500m down and, on one dive, its batteries dying and leaving passengers stuck inside for 27 hours.

WTF. That must have been absolutely horrible.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

super liquified.
I watched some fascinating videos about submarine implosions back when this happened. They said it’s like being inside the combustion chamber in a diesel engine. It compresses so hard and fast that anything combustible ignites. And it creates this fast oscillation between compressing/exploding that generate a characteristic sound they can use to identify underwater implosions.

Edit:
Around 1:30 you can see what I mean

Last edited:

dave_d

Here's one describing the physics behind the water with this sub.(Long story short for those that don't want to watch, the water is actually slightly compressed and it decompresses in a fraction of a second, going into the sub at hundreds of miles an hour.)

The Stig

I watched the scottish chap give his testimony yesterday. He was trying to warn them from the very beginning. He showed you could shine light through the gaps in the layers of the carbon fiber (they filled those gaps with the stuff that Ford truck bedliners are made of). OSHA was supposedly giving him whistleblower protection but they were bloody useless. Oceangate threatened to counter sue him as well as threatening to contact immigration (he isnt a citizen) to try and get him to stop.

Oceangate were and are slime. I don't want like to speak ill of the dead but Fuck Stockton Rush.

edit - although he did kill 2 billionaires, there is that.

Last edited:

Pejo

They found the other half of the wreckage, looks like:
odlid0kjuupd1.jpeg

*edit*

Nevermind, they found this a long time ago, the Coast Guard just released the image.

Last edited:
Top Bottom