• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Anyone else playing on PC, but using controller? I just started the campaign last night, haven't touched MP yet, and I started with KB+M, but I felt like I had better control over my abilities and movement when I switched to my DS4. Is that a viable choice for MP, or am I going to get my ass kicked?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone else feel a delay or no input of their Core Abiblites when in a Titan? Just now I hit activate two times in a match to use the Smart Core with Legion and it didn't work.

Izuna

Banned
Why do you keep brining bounty into this? I'm talking one on one here... Nothing outside of that.

That's a Northstar. They should have been out of there as soon as they saw you...

If Legion gets the job on em... Yeah. But a Ronin shouldn't be running around in the middle of the field.

Are you on PC? I'll hit it up just to prove this to you...

I'm bringing Bounty Hunt into this because this is my entire point on the video you decided to reply to. Legion is stupid af in Bounty Hunt. If Northstar fucked out of there, all of that Bounty is mine. Also these are casuals, so he can't call for backup either.

Ronin can straight up get a couple shots from behind a Legion, he'll turn around, activate shield, shoot one shotty and BANG, 50% health on Ronin gone. Seconds later, Smart Core.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't think it is so much the low TTK as the loose interpolation that is exaggerating the low TTK. By the time I know I'm getting hit with an ar/smg it is usually too late to do anything. I run around ready to phase and still get killed before I phase or mid-phase. Have even died in full phase to somebody not in phase just because of the interpolation.

Same reason I've died after running behind hard cover.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Really awesome of you guys to post here. My suggestion is that Titans overall don't feel powerful, most feel like tinfoil and I just think it'd be more exciting if they could withstand a bit more damage and not be damage so easily by pilots. I don't feel our titans should have to sneak and hide around corners for fear of getting slaughtered even by pilots. Just saying it's an issue I felt the first handled a little better and not sure why.

Huh? I never get that feeling. I use Tone and Legion mostly and I rack up kills a lot when i'm in a Titan. You can't just blindly rush in and expect kills and not get penalized for anything.

There's a balance here that should be maintained or it'll get super annoying to be a Pilot once Titans spawn in and you don't have one.

Huh? I never get that feeling. I use Tone and Legion mostly and I rack up kills a lot when i'm in a Titan. You can't just blindly rush in and expect kills and not get penalized for anything.

There's a balance here that should be maintained or it'll get super annoying to be a Pilot once Titans spawn in and you don't have one.

To be fair I've had that feeling multiple times but it's usually my fault. I have been using Tone mainly and I'm pretty effective with him. Then again I usually use another Titans battery before calling mine in so I could have that shield which really does come in clutch for me.

I agree that the Titans do feel more squishy than OG TF but there are ways to mitigate that issue. Folks just need to adjust.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Deflect this.

JHVW7Ef.gif

Strider

I'm considering double dipping and getting this on xb1 to play with friends over there too...

I had both the xb1 and PC version of TF1 so the trend may continue lol (although I'm on PS4 instead of PC this time)

I don't think it is so much the low TTK as the loose interpolation that is exaggerating the low TTK. By the time I know I'm getting hit with an ar/smg it is usually too late to do anything. I run around ready to phase and still get killed before I phase or mid-phase. Have even died in full phase to somebody not in phase just because of the interpolation.

Same reason I've died after running behind hard cover.

This. What you're describing is what's happening to me in almost every singe game in more than 50% of my encounters with other pilots. It's getting increasingly frustrating and im not sure how much more i can take.

Deflect this.

JHVW7Ef.gif

LMAO! Yup.... and Legion didn't even go down a full 1/4 of a health bar. Granted the Ronin was being an idiot and simply though he could run up, shield and then melee i guess? Do people that main Ronin think his sword does more damage than a melee from any other Titan? Cause it doesn't lol. Only his core ability does.

Pretty much sums up almost every Ronin i see on the field... well that or constantly running away not doing much of anything of impact lol. Myself included most times. It's hard to hang as a Ronin unless it's straight 1v1 and you've got space to maneuver.

The Dude

Huh? Who said about blindly rushing in to do anything? And incase you've missed it mostly everyone feels they're weaker in general

YO! After 6 matches I've finally gotten my first LTS win! Not only that I also got the final kill shot!

I tried to laser core a flying Northstar, it didn't work but I got it down to a sliver of health, I ejected in time and landed on top of it, yanked out his battery and blew him up before his smoke could kill me. But that was NOT the kill shot! I then pulled out my charged laser, 180 sniped the final enemy Scorch who was in doom state!

Capture video that shit!

Are you on PC? I'll hit it up just to prove this to you...

Ronin can straight up get a couple shots from behind a Legion, he'll turn around, activate shield, shoot one shotty and BANG, 50% health on Ronin gone. Seconds later, Smart Core.

On PS4. Canis and I will try it later... Hopefully. We can both try the Legion side as well.

But back to the point. You make it sound like the Ronin doesn't have another dash phase to get out. Not to mention stunning the Legion twice... Will totally slow it down... Giving you enough time to unload shotgun and get out for another attack. Plus the extra battery if you're smart and play Ronin gives it a shield boost.

LMAO! Yup.... and Legion didn't even go down a full 1/4 of a health bar. Granted the Ronin was being an idiot and simply though he could run up, shield and then melee i guess? Do people that main Ronin think his sword does more damage than a melee from any other Titan? Cause it doesn't lol. Only his core ability does.

Pretty much sums up almost every Ronin i see on the field... well that or constantly running away not doing much of anything of impact lol. Myself included most times. It's hard to hang as a Ronin unless it's straight 1v1 and you've got space to maneuver.

That Ronin player must be new to Ronin. Melee should be stronger with Ronin but sadly it's not. Shotgun does a good job anyways tho.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
This. What you're describing is what's happening to me in almost every singe game in more than 50% of my encounters with other pilots. It's getting increasingly frustrating and im not sure how much more i can take.

Yeah, I feel the TTK should be bumped up a bit. I can't even phase shift since I get killed doing so. o_O

Huh? Who said about blindly rushing in to do anything? And incase you've missed it mostly everyone feels they're weaker in general

They're weaker, but not necessarily so that you'll get killed by a lone Pilot. By a team of 2-3? Most likely and rightfully so.

I've lost count how many times I've gotten my second Titan of the match and proceeded to use it until the end -- sometimes with no shield, even. I mostly lose my Titan combating other Titans and not against Pilots.

When I'm the Pilot going up against Titans, I use the A-Wall, pop the charge cannon (extra ammo and no charge time as mods) and go to town. I usually take down a Titan to almost half health before they realize they can't kill me through the wall. xD

Then again, I mostly use Tone, so maybe it depends on the Titan? I don't feel Titans are generally weak, but if the Titan health is given a slight buff, I wouldn't mind.

---

My only gripes so far (Level 27):

• TTK can be bumped a notch
  • New maps (I really hate Complex the most)
  • Take out the playlists on page two and just have everything on page one (no one will scroll to it, just make everything a list)
  • Maybe consolidate some Data Centers so when the "X players in your region" shows up, it doesn't look bad (seeing 200+ people only isn't that good)

Aside from that, more maps, Titans, weapons, kits, etc. and I'm good. I honestly haven't touched BF1 again since TF2 dropped. MP is so good. I get tired playing it, but after a while, I kinda want to jump in again just to tear shit up with Tone.

Izuna

Banned
I think you over estimate Legions speed.

... Again, once more, Legion is right where he needs to be. Ronin is also a close quarters Titan so it's not like it's Northstar who can shoot from where Legion can hit.

Ronin can take a minute to kill Legion, but by then it's too late, he has all the bounty for the entire wave.

Ronin is no Stryder

On PS4. Canis and I will try it later... Hopefully. We can both try the Legion side as well.

But back to the point. You make it sound like the Ronin doesn't have another dash phase to get out. Not to mention stunning the Legion twice... Will totally slow it down... Giving you enough time to unload shotgun and get out for another attack. Plus the extra battery if you're smart and play Ronin gives it a shield boost.

That Ronin player must be new to Ronin. Melee should be stronger with Ronin but sadly it's not. Shotgun does a good job anyways tho.

Yup we'll mess around and try out some scenarios etc. I'm totally Adam... you can be Jaime lol.

Oh I know.. i mean i was the one who told you about the arc's stunning and running two of them remember ;P

That's what i do. Stun, fire 4 shotgun blasts then immediately dash and use one of my three boosts, reload as i phase and relocate to another side or behind some cover if necessary... stun again fire shots... boost in phase if needed and repeat until i do enough damage to trigger my core then let'er rip.

Ronin is like 90% there as a titan. He's so damn weak that his sword should do more than standard melee damage... and maybe his core should give him some further ranged abilities or something like an alt-swipe kinda like the vertical arc stun? Right now as much fun as Ronin is he doesn't feel as "complete" as the other titans IMO.

Yeah, I feel the TTK should be bumped up a bit. I can't even phase shift since I get killed doing so. o_O

They're weaker, but not necessarily so that you'll get killed by a lone Pilot. By a team of 2-3? Most likely and rightfully so.

I've lost count how many times I've gotten my second Titan of the match and proceeded to use it until the end -- sometimes with no shield, even. I mostly lose my Titan combating other Titans and not against Pilots.

When I'm the Pilot going up against Titans, I use the A-Wall, pop the charge cannon (extra ammo and no charge time as mods) and go to town. I usually take down a Titan to almost half health before they realize they can't kill me through the wall. xD

Then again, I mostly use Tone, so maybe it depends on the Titan? I don't feel Titans are generally weak, but if the Titan health is given a slight buff, I wouldn't mind.

---

• Take out the playlists on page two and just have everything on page one (no one will scroll to it, just make everything a list)
  • Maybe consolidate some Data Centers so when the "X players in your region" shows up, it doesn't look bad (seeing 200+ people only isn't that good)

Aside from that, more maps, Titans, weapons, kits, etc. and I'm good. I honestly haven't touched BF1 again since TF2 dropped. MP is so good. I get tired playing it, but after a while, I kinda want to jump in again just to tear shit up with Tone.

I'm with you on all accounts (aside from the data center # thing... i say hide that all completely so we just dont know and grey out playlists that dont have a certain % of the population in them letting you know it might be a wait to match).

They either need to sort the lag compensation, latency, netcode whatever interpolation etc. is happening (old school CoD shot behind cover) or increase the Pilot TTK.

Games like Destiny with CRAZY lag almost, kinda work because the TTK is so much longer. Increasing the TTK mitigates the issue giving people time to react etc. It might screw things up compared to the movement speed so IDK. All i do know is when it's right it feels amazing and when it's not it's infuriating.

The Dude

Never experienced the lag others did in destiny, but man I sometimes miss those days... I am long gone but that first year was so damn good

The Dude

---

That grenade Launcher can fuck up Titans big time, it reduces their shields super quick and can bang the hell out of them.. And typically you will have 2 shooting you. They need to be beefier, so that titan battles feel epic. They don't feel epic right now, they feel like whoever has the most titans wins

The original felt like it had its own feel in terms of ttk, wasn't to long or short.... Was a nice feel. Here even I am surprised on some kills I get because the ttk is so instant to where I've been surprised by someone and I fucking just shoot and they die, and I'm honestly embarrassed because the kill cam has to show how bad that kill looked. That's how bad the ttk is in this game. You even clip someone's ear and they can die

The thing is, people were complaining about this in alpha, but they never adjusted it.

I feel like it's something they need to consider and fix, but it seems too set in stone. Something like TTK/damage is rarely tweaked in a MP game.

Codiox

im on the fence to get this. how is the progression in this game? is it like star wars battlefront or more like battlefield 4? i need something to unlock and customize.

Never experienced the lag others did in destiny, but man I sometimes miss those days... I am long gone but that first year was so damn good

Lol wait... no... i'm sorry but NOT a chance you didn't experience it! (i'm not serious obviously just showing my skepticism) :)

The Crucible can get BAD... and by BAD I mean some of the worst lag and net-shenanigans of any major FPS in the last 8 or so years BAD! lol

Dont even get me started on Trials of Osiris stuff! haha People are lag switching and using websites to flood people's message inboxes (on PS4) with spam so the pop-ups cover their radar and shit! lol

Annnnnnyway... Titanfall 2 is NOWHERE near as bad. It's got some infuriating shot behind cover... i shot first... that didn't happen on my screen sort of thing going but i'm sure it will be addressed. The Respawn guys are great and i respect them more than probably any other FPS developer out there right now.

Vipu

Banned
im on the fence to get this. how is the progression in this game? is it like star wars battlefront or more like battlefield 4? i need something to unlock and customize.

In short: you unlock TONS of stuff all the time.
You gain levels from 1 to 50 and every level you get something and between every level you get stuff to your weapons and mechs etc whatever you have used.
When you finally hit level 50 you can "reset" it to go "back" to 0 but gain more stuff to unlock.

More stuff than Battlefront... not near as much as Battlefield 4. BUT, every single weapon and equipment and ability is completely unique and fun unlike the 30+ autorifles that are identical like in BF4.

You'll unlock something and it WILL feel and act different. There area also something like over 100 different camos for each weapon, pilot, titan, titan weapon.

Gorillaz

Ronin is such a weird one. He feels too weak as a glass cannon but giving more health might make him a little too overpowered

Izuna

Banned
Every time I have the shield up I can't use the legion Ultimate. Always works as soon as it goes down. Weird.

Hmmm.. I mean I think by principle I usually never have it available, and I have definitely used the shield during Smart Core so... I could be wrong, it'd just be weird

The Dude

Lol wait... no... i'm sorry but NOT a chance you didn't experience it! (i'm not serious obviously just showing my skepticism) :)

The Crucible can get BAD... and by BAD I mean some of the worst lag and net-shenanigans of any major FPS in the last 8 or so years BAD! lol

Dont even get me started on Trials of Osiris stuff! haha People are lag switching and using websites to flood people's message inboxes (on PS4) with spam so the pop-ups cover their radar and shit! lol

Annnnnnyway... Titanfall 2 is NOWHERE near as bad. It's got some infuriating shot behind cover... i shot first... that didn't happen on my screen sort of thing going but i'm sure it will be addressed. The Respawn guys are great and i respect them more than probably any other FPS developer out there right now.

There was a brief stint early on, but other than that no I didn't. My bar was always green, doesn't mean there weren't people with red bars but my person experience was fine. Between my lock and titan I spent 800 hours, I wouldnt of done that if my lag was terrible. Destiny might be worse now, no clue.. I stopped a bit after the first year.

noomi

So uh... how do I initiate those super awesome cinematic melee finishers?

Was killed a few times as a Titan, while the other titan shoved his whole arm through my torso lol.

I wanna do that

Gator86

I don't believe so. I wish there was a test arena of some kind.

A glaring omission. There's tons of stuff I'd love to test but can't outside of an active game. There's literally no good reason why there isn't a practice mode with bots considering there's already AI and bots in multiple modes. The game is so barebones outside of the SP and MP modes.

Hmmm.. I mean I think by principle I usually never have it available, and I have definitely used the shield during Smart Core so... I could be wrong, it'd just be weird

I'll mess around some more tonight. I would have shield up, try to enable smart core, doesn't work, shield goes down, smart core goes up.

Will try smart core and then using shield.

Timeaisis

Don't roast me, I'm just getting my frustrations out there. I like the idea of this game a lot but it just does not work in practice for me. This is mostly a criticism of the multiplayer game. The single player experience has not frustrated me much at all. Probably because it's more forgiving to experiment and mess around. You aren't punished as much for making movement mistakes.

I feel like this game does not have intuitively smooth movement mechanics, which is completely different from everything I've heard from this game before I bought it. The controls are clunky at best and feel very unnatural most of the time. I think I chalk it up to the fact you have to a lot of buttons and frequently the same button multiple times to get anything to happen. Every action requires multiple button presses, so you are essentially hitting a combination of buttons to do any one thing in a weird, unnatural way. Click the dash button, then click it again when you inevitably accidentally stop dashing (seems inconsistent with what stops you dashing?). If you mistime your wallrun jump, you won't be able to double jump again. Gotta hit that X button multiple times at the right time. Sliding automatically finishes you in a crouched state, forcing you to uncrouch, re-adjust and click dash again. Did you forget you were crouched? Yeah, so did I.

It basically leads to you initiating dash, hitting either dash or crouch, then hitting dash or crouch a second time, then maybe a third, and then usually hitting a wall or stopping mid-air from missing something and then having to start a sprint again by again clicking the dash button after re-positioning yourself (meanwhile you are STANDING STILL). It feels very weird, to me. It feels like I have control over my character insofar as I'm controlling a character controlling a character. Maybe it's the level design in multiplayer maps, where a lot of the time they are mostly just open space with a few corridors here and there, leading me to frequently attempt movement mechanics only to waste more time than if I had just sprinted. Compare that to the glorious gauntlet in the tutorial from single player and it feels like it's two different games. Don't get me started on how the grappling hook propels you directly into a wall 99% of the time. Up and over, you dumb soldier.

Sure, with time these things can be learned, but it is by no means an intuitive movement system.

I never played the original, so I have no idea what to compare it to. But it does not feel natural to me in any way. At best, it feels very video-gamey in it's controls. It's very context sensitive, special case. It seems like it has a very steep learning curve with movement mechanics. Which, fine, if that's how it is, it's just not for me. I much more enjoy my shooters easy to learn hard to master, anyway.

tl;dr there are too many damn buttons in this game

Lren

So uh... how do I initiate those super awesome cinematic melee finishers?

Was killed a few times as a Titan, while the other titan shoved his whole arm through my torso lol.

I wanna do that

If you mean the titan finishers, just melee an enemy titan that is in the doomed state.

Don't roast me, I'm just getting my frustrations out there. I like the idea of this game a lot but it just does not work in practice for me. This is mostly a criticism of the multiplayer game. The single player experience has not frustrated me much at all. Probably because it's more forgiving to experiment and mess around. You aren't punished as much for making movement mistakes.

I feel like this game does not have intuitively smooth movement mechanics, which is completely different from everything I've heard from this game before I bought it. The controls are clunky at best and feel very unnatural most of the time. I think I chalk it up to the fact you have to a lot of buttons and frequently the same button multiple times to get anything to happen. Every action requires multiple button presses, so you are essentially hitting a combination of buttons to do any one thing in a weird, unnatural way. Click the dash button, then click it again when you inevitably accidentally stop dashing (seems inconsistent with what stops you dashing?). If you mistime your wallrun jump, you won't be able to double jump again. Gotta hit that X button multiple times at the right time. Sliding automatically finishes you in a crouched state, forcing you to uncrouch, re-adjust and click dash again. Did you forget you were crouched? Yeah, so did I.

It basically leads to you initiating dash, hitting either dash or crouch, then hitting dash or crouch a second time, then maybe a third, and then usually hitting a wall or stopping mid-air from missing something and then having to start a sprint again by again clicking the dash button after re-positioning yourself (meanwhile you are STANDING STILL). It feels very weird, to me. It feels like I have control over my character insofar as I'm controlling a character controlling a character. Maybe it's the level design in multiplayer maps, where a lot of the time they are mostly just open space with a few corridors here and there, leading me to frequently attempt movement mechanics only to waste more time than if I had just sprinted. Compare that to the glorious gauntlet in the tutorial from single player and it feels like it's two different games. Don't get me started on how the grappling hook propels you directly into a wall 99% of the time. Up and over, you dumb soldier.

Sure, with time these things can be learned, but it is by no means an intuitive movement system.

I never played the original, so I have no idea what to compare it to. But it does not feel natural to me in any way. At best, it feels very video-gamey in it's controls. It's very context sensitive, special case. It seems like it has a very steep learning curve with movement mechanics. Which, fine, if that's how it is, it's just not for me. I much more enjoy my shooters easy to learn hard to master, anyway.

tl;dr there are too many damn buttons in this game

You are completely off your rocker. I don't even know how to respond to this lol.

As far as the grappling hook goes, you can manipulate your motion with jumps/ holding back etc.

Top Bottom