• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Jarmel

Banned
it's not that, it's that he's with a group or with a teammate. the game becomes much easier when you have decent teammates. it's how it is for all games.

going in solo things become harder even if it's the same group of people you just played when you had a team.

I play solo and good lord sometimes there really isn't shit you can do when there are five Titans out and you're by yourself. The chip damage essentially means you're fucked now compared to R1 where you might be able to pick a few of them off.

Izuna

Banned
I hate playing Bounty Hunt and my ENTIRE TEAM is at A spawn fighting like 2 enemy Titans, leaving the minions on the floor, while I'm alone trying to fuck up and get as much Bounty at B. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Like holy shit guys, 5 Titans in one spawn isn't going to do the team anything, is it?

Yep, map hacks and sonar blades are all over the place. Does the jammer not counter the map hack?

radar jammer jams radars

If yall are doing so much better in other games... why not just play them & stop complaining?

There's constructive criticism like "wall hacks are op and too frequent currently" and then there's the last three pages of "this sucks in X game I top the charts it's more skill based this game is for kids" etc
Pretty much

The Dude

Lmao wow the end of that clip I had no clue. They fucking ruined it. I didn't watch the clip in its entirety because well I watched the movie 9000 times but I didn't expect that lame shit at the end of that

Everyone is bitching about Titan combat not being engaging and fun compared to the first one, meanwhile I feel like my Titan combat skills improved in the sequel despite Titans being weaker. I don't get it. Is no one being tactful in their Titans? Are you using your anti-titan weapons?

SwolBro

Banned
Everyone is bitching about Titan combat not being engaging and fun compared to the first one, meanwhile I feel like my Titan combat skills improved in the sequel despite Titans being weaker. I don't get it. Is no one being tactful in their Titans?

titans are actually easier now, mechanically. it's easier to master your titan play, and there are far less variables to contend with.

tactics do matter more now. people can't just rush in like they could in the first game a lot of times.

Everyone is bitching about Titan combat not being engaging and fun compared to the first one, meanwhile I feel like my Titan combat skills improved in the sequel despite Titans being weaker. I don't get it. Is no one being tactful in their Titans?
Nope. They just keep dropping them into a crowd of enemy titans and don't utilize shields or defensive maneuvers and then complain when their titan blows up in 3 secs. Titan combat is a lot more tactical now and requires better teamwork and coordination , to do well

MGrant

They expect to facetank everything and get deservedly destroyed for recklessness. At least half the people playing right now don't even know how to properly use their titans. I see tons of Ions who don't use their laser and try to chip down every opposing titan with the splitter. The laser is your damage dealer, the splitter is your cleanup and energy charger. Same thing to Scorches and Ronins who run out in the open. No one even plays Northstar in Asia, apparently. There's a reason 9/10 pilots choose Tone or Legion, and it's because they're the most straightforward Titans that are easy to pick up and play.

I do think Respawn could do more to get people to understand how each titan should be played, and make the counters more obvious through the hints they display, which right now are pretty useless ("Hey you have an automatic gun, try holding down the trigger!")

They expect to facetank everything and get deservedly destroyed for recklessness. At least half the people playing right now don't even know how to properly use their titans. I see tons of Ions who don't use their laser and try to chip down every opposing titan with the splitter. The laser is your damage dealer, the splitter is your cleanup and energy charger. Same thing to Scorches and Ronins who run out in the open. No one even plays Northstar in Asia, apparently. There's a reason 9/10 pilots choose Tone or Legion, and it's because they're the most straightforward Titans that are easy to pick up and play.

I do think Respawn could do more to get people to understand how each titan should be played, and make the counters more obvious through the hints they display, which right now are pretty useless ("Hey you have an automatic gun, try holding down the trigger!")

People don't realize the Titans in this game are equivalent to Hero characters in Overwatch. They have a strength and weakness and are not just mechs that can take equal damage. Tone and Legion players are complaining about the combat and I'm playing as Ronin doing fine and sometimes able to get 2 Titan kills before ejecting.

Schlorgan

People don't realize the Titans in this game are equivalent to Hero characters in Overwatch. They have a strength and weakness and are not just mechs that can take equal damage. Tone and Legion players are complaining about the combat and I'm playing as Ronin doing fine and sometimes getting Titan killstreaks.

I exclusively play as Ion, as nothing else feels right, but I'm able to clean up in Bounty Hunt matches.

BTW, Bounty Hunt is the main mode I play now, which I did not see coming.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've warmed up to the titan changes in 2 more, but I still can't get totally down with Cores. Feels bad the moment you engage you just see some omega move pulled out that dumpsters your HP even if you come out ahead, and spite coring (being doomed/about to die and using core right in someone's face to do as much damage as possible) is lame as hell. I like the design of Sword Core since it mostly amplifies Ronin's playstyle and still requires finesse and player input to really excel with.

I also wish the titan dash kit worked differently since it's an auotpick for every single Titan with how I play. I wish they by default had 1/2/3 dashes and the kit altered the regen rate instead. Mobility is too important to gimp on.

B3N1

Got this on the Newegg deal on Sunday based on positive stuff I read about the campaign and giving Respawn the benefit of doubt after the Tech Test. The order got invalidated as my card isn't US based, and I was ready to buy the game for full price as I got home today in the evening.

Reading all the shit about map hack, and even more people realizing that this isn't different but worse than R1 just made me postpone the purchase. It's already hard to cope with the 2 weapons on hand, the lesser (and worse) maps and the loss of regenerating shield.

With the premade titans replacing custom ones I feel Respawn shot themselves in the foot as they can't just nerf one overused skill from now on but balance each Titan so that others stay equally viable (which, reading the comments isn't the case right now).

The player glow and camping already annoyed me in the tech test, but seeing the A-wall for the first time was something I just couldn't comprehend in a shooter based on mobility.

Reading about how TTK works here just brought back some feels about chasing people down in R1, even with the R101, being tons of fun. It definitely wasn't just point and shoot. Though I've been using suppressors, so that highered TTKs a bit for me. Are they still in BTW? I remember them not being in the TT.

By getting the game I'm sure I'd be playing Tone/Legion like everyone else, while sonaring the shit out of enemies and camping in windows. That just doesn't sound fun to me, or anything I want to remember Titanfall by.

Alx

so a dev posted that they are aware of the map hacks being annoying.

question is are they aware of the pulse blades as well? because that's just as annoying. teammates shouldn't benefit from your perk of seeing through walls. it's overpowered garbage.

this goes for tone as well. i don't think teammates should see anything

I like considering the pulse blade as a team ability actually, I use it more to reveal the position of enemies when I notice they are close to teammates than for myself. If anything it they change something it could be to also reveal the user's position to everybody (although the "pulse blade detected" icon already increases that risk).

I think people are spamming map hack right now because most of them recently unlocked it and it feels like the most advanced boost. After some time, the preferences will spread among the different abilities. As for myself, I still like the anti-pilot turret better (just put it in the right place and rake in the kills :p).

Unrelated, but I realized how effective the P2011 handgun was. In TF1 sidearms felt like a last resort weapon for when you don't have time to reload, but here I got a decent amount of pilot kills in enclosed aread.

grmlin

I played my first MP matches yesterday. I'm not good in MP shooters at all, but Titanfall is different. I actually feel like I don't suck and while I still have to learn the maps, it was much much fun. It just feels so good.

Why is that? Why are all the DICE and CoD shooters so different? I tried BF1 and after an hour or so I thought: no, fuck it, I'm too old for that.

And I will never ever play a shooter displaying my deaths count again. Thank you so much game!

Vipu

Banned
I played my first MP matches yesterday. I'm not good in MP shooters at all, but Titanfall is different. I actually feel like I don't suck and while I still have to learn the maps, it was much much fun. It just feels so good.

Why is that? Why are all the DICE and CoD shooters so different? I tried BF1 and after an hour or so I thought: no, fuck it, I'm too old for that.

Because in BF and CoD shooters you have to hit just few lucky shots to kill someone.

The Dude

And I will never ever play a shooter displaying my deaths count again. Thank you so much game!

Crazy how it works for some. I just see bf1 as a fast but slower style where someone who isn't a shooter player can actually learn and progress, and then tf2 the type where a newcomer would get his ass ripped open... I mean just how it works I guess at times. But I mean what a bummer you're passing on BF, that game is absolutely glorious

Roussow

So I saw a prerelease clip a minute ago of someone using the grappling hook to swing with, not just reel-in -- like it was Uncharted 4 or something, crazy. Never new you could get that creative with it.

Alx

So I saw a prerelease clip a minute ago of someone using the grappling hook to swing with, not just reel-in -- like it was Uncharted 4 or something, crazy. Never new you could get that creative with it.

Yes the grappling hook/swinging mechanics are momentum based, which is a lot of fun. Sometimes not voluntarily though, like when you attach to a Titan and he starts dashing around. :p

grmlin

Crazy how it works for some. I just see bf1 as a fast but slower style where someone who isn't a shooter player can actually learn and progress, and then tf2 the type where a newcomer would get his ass ripped open... I mean just how it works I guess at times. But I mean what a bummer you're passing on BF, that game is absolutely glorious

Glorious? I was shot all the time from any angle, couldn't do shit against tanks, planes and whatnot, I hated it.

It was a chaotic clusterfuck and I really don't have the nerves to sink my teeth into that.

I would love to get some tips for learning Ion in LTS, I've only played three matches (all lost) but so far I've figured:

1) Use laser for sniping Long range
2) Use splitter for close to mid range engagement
3) Conserve half your meter for emergency vortex shield
4) Don't bother with mines
5) Laser core when enemies out in the open

LTS feels like a game of peekaboo, this was something I learned from watching a Frothy stream and turns out it works. I Guess it's fine its just that it's weird to have these hulking machines hiding behind corners taking potshots instead of being more aggressive.

Good god, Map Hack just ruins the whole game for me. It turns into a game of "hide in a building from the enemy Legions and Tones" when the enemy turns on map hack.

The reverse is true when a friendly uses it.

Foxxsoxx

Gee boy I sure do love dying to Legions close range with Ronin using all of my abilities correctly to dodge and weave. Doesn't matter ):

MGrant

I would love to get some tips for learning Ion in LTS, I've only played three matches (all lost) but so far I've figured:

1) Use laser for sniping Long range
2) Use splitter for close to mid range engagement
3) Conserve half your meter for emergency vortex shield
4) Don't bother with mines
5) Laser core when enemies out in the open

LTS feels like a game of peekaboo, this was something I learned from watching a Frothy stream and turns out it works. I Guess it's fine its just that it's weird to have these hulking machines hiding behind corners taking potshots instead of being more aggressive.

Ion suits the peekaboo style well. I have very little success engaging at close range, even 1v1. You want a good distance, and you always want some cover, especially against Tone and Legion. Use the laser at close and long range; think of it more like Ion's version of the Tone rockets, which is helped by using the perk that charges your energy if you get critical hits.

You don't really want to ADS the splitter too much, as the energy is best reserved for using the laser or tripwires. Speaking of tripwires, they are great for annoying and denying Ronins and Scorches who can otherwise wreck house in chokepoints.

Vortex shield should be used reactively, not predictively, because if you try to predict too much, you'll waste a ton of energy and therefore your main DPS: the laser. Try to get a feel for when Tone's rockets will come, or at what times they'll probably have a Salvo core. Your laser core is your "oh shit" button, for when you get cornered unexpectedly. It works great on pilots flying through the air, as well, if you manage to make one eject.

Gee boy I sure do love dying to Legions close range with Ronin using all of my abilities correctly to dodge and weave. Doesn't matter ):

Legion and Tone are the undisputed best Titans in the game. And I wish they weren't, because they are about as vanilla as you can get with Titans in this game. Ion, Scorch, Northstar, and Ronin offer unique kits that focus on specific playstyles, but they're either too weak (Ion, Ronin) or too niche (Scorch, Northstar) to justify using them over the one-size-fits-all roles of Legion and Tone.

Lately, games I play go something like this:

1. Everyone throws Pulse Knives, I'm marked on the map with everyone nearby. Same for the enemy.
  2. Skirmishing until someone calls in Tone.
  3. Everyone is running for cover from the obnoxiously good 40mm cannon, "la la la you can't touch me" particle wall, and homing rocket spam.
  4. Someone calls in Legion. Typically to kill Tone.
  5. Match progresses until one team is composed of Tones and Legions, who then proceed to dunk on the opposition.
  6. And of course, while that's all happening, there's a steady stream of map hacks going on.
This meta sucks more than pre-Taken King Destiny Crucible. It's so predictable and boring; there's no room for flashy moves since Tone and Legion utterly shred through anything a Pilot can put up.

for legion, which color is what range for his switch chaingun mode thing

The standard crosshair is his long-range rounds. The oval shape is his close-range rounds.

Peterthumpa

Holy shit, just played 2 hours of the campaign. You guys were not kidding, this is amazing.
Also, WTF, is this really the Source engine? Shit looks better than most of the games currently out, art direction is amazing as well.

Alx

That obsession with Tone and Legion must be a trait of American culture and its love of big guns. ^^
I think I face more Ronin and Scorch than those two (playing Northstar myself... which is fun as a support Titan to shoot over Tone's wall).

Izuna

Banned
That obsession with Tone and Legion must be a trait of American culture and its love of big guns. ^^
I think I face more Ronin and Scorch than those two (playing Northstar myself... which is fun as a support Titan to shoot over Tone's wall).

Nah Legion is just brainless.

Vipu

Banned

So you need Tone + Northstar and you still lose to Legion who just destroys the shield and both of your mechs in few seconds.

Yeah balance.

Legion should not have his shield or his hp should be lowered to be a bit more balanced.
Thats not balanced that he can tank tons of dmg AND have shield AND have highest dmg output.

Foxxsoxx

So you need Tone + Northstar and you still lose to Legion who just destroys the shield and both of your mechs in few seconds.

Yeah balance.

Legion should not have his shield or his hp should be lowered to be a bit more balanced.
Thats not balanced that he can tank tons of dmg AND have shield AND have highest dmg output.

Yeah no idea how the fuck Legion having so much utility wasn't foreseen. Generally just a fucking nightmare to deal with.

Alx

I don't know, Legion is slow (no dash, longer time to aim), so I guess my Northstar usually gets away fast enough and snipe it from afar. Mobility is clearly the way to go against it.

Are you blocking and using teleport? You gotta circle behind Legion. Keep him turning and don't put yourself in his sight. Also retreat more often.

Izuna

Banned
Are you blocking and using teleport? You gotta circle behind Legion. Keep him turning and don't put yourself in his sight. Also retreat more often.

Phase behind Legion. He'll turn around and Smart Core will still fuck you up.

I need some Legion clips to demonstrate this.

Everyone is bitching about Titan combat not being engaging and fun compared to the first one, meanwhile I feel like my Titan combat skills improved in the sequel despite Titans being weaker. I don't get it. Is no one being tactful in their Titans? Are you using your anti-titan weapons?

Haha. Nope... it's rare to see.

My Ronin skills are on the up and up tho. Wrecking Legions and all that shit. Just gotta go know when to get in and get out.

Also a lot of Ronin players don't realize that their melee is rubbish... which is great for me because I open up on them with my shotgun and then dodge around them.

Vipu

Banned

I havent played legion myself yet but does he turn slower than rest mechs? How is circling around him good?

Izuna

Banned
I havent played legion myself yet but does he turn slower than rest mechs? How is circling around him good?

It's only good if there's another Titan shooting him. Otherwise hahaha

--

I'm going to record the first clip I get of the opening of Bounty Hunt. I need people to see this.

Yeah.

Ronin can't take him in the open... he'll need cover to eventually get behind if he can't keep the Legion on his toes.

I typically reserve sword core for him and take out the other Titans with my shotgun.

It does help to have another Titan to keep him distracted as you move around him tho. The face off is pretty much over if on a Legion if you have that.

Izuna

Banned
It does help to have another Titan to keep him distracted as you move around him tho. The face off is pretty much over if on a Legion if you have that.

But that counter exists for every Titan in this game.

The counter to Legion is to have 2 Titans or another Legion. And if you're playing Bounty Hunt, you running away just means he eats up all the Bounty for himself with no contention.

But that counter exists for every Titan in this game.

The counter to Legion is to have 2 Titans or another Legion. And if you're playing Bounty Hunt, you running away just means he eats up all the Bounty for himself with no contention.

I'm not saying Legion doesn't need to be nerfed... he could definitely use one... just that it's not as dire as everyone makes out to be once you learn your Titans. Legions are a joke close up and I have my Ronin.

Ion suits the peekaboo style well. I have very little success engaging at close range, even 1v1. You want a good distance, and you always want some cover, especially against Tone and Legion. Use the laser at close and long range; think of it more like Ion's version of the Tone rockets, which is helped by using the perk that charges your energy if you get critical hits.

You don't really want to ADS the splitter too much, as the energy is best reserved for using the laser or tripwires. Speaking of tripwires, they are great for annoying and denying Ronins and Scorches who can otherwise wreck house in chokepoints.

Vortex shield should be used reactively, not predictively, because if you try to predict too much, you'll waste a ton of energy and therefore your main DPS: the laser. Try to get a feel for when Tone's rockets will come, or at what times they'll probably have a Salvo core. Your laser core is your "oh shit" button, for when you get cornered unexpectedly. It works great on pilots flying through the air, as well, if you manage to make one eject.

Laser Canon - worth charging up?
Trip Wire - do they explode if you throw them at the enemy?
Splitter - does it out damage the laser in mid to close quarters?

Top Bottom