• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a popular shooter out there like BF4, COD, Crysis 3 that doesn't have some sort of DLC/Season Pass? I don't think so, so why does Titanfall get shit for it?

All games get shat on for it. Don't act like people are picking on poor Titanfall. This is nothing new, we all hate the season pass DLC milking in every game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
All games get shat on for it. Don't act like people are picking on poor Titanfall. This is nothing new, we all hate the season pass DLC milking in every game.

Interesting. I like season passes as they save money for people who know they'll be sticking with the game and buying DLC. Especially in MP games when you're pretty confident the DLC line-up will be new maps, etc. It's a bit riskier in single player games, but still a decent deal.

Curious why folks like you hate it. It's optional.

Raide

Interesting. I like season passes as they save money for people who know they'll be sticking with the game and buying DLC. Especially in MP games when you're pretty confident the DLC line-up will be new maps, etc. It's a bit riskier in single player games, but still a decent deal.

For games I know I will put a load of hours into, the Seasons Passes are great. I did it for Borderlands and never regretted it. If Respawn can give me a load more content for Titanfall at a good price, I will be happy to pay.

Indeed. It's bulk discount, that's all. The only problem I have with this isn't the season pass, but the likelihood that map packs will once again fragment the community in ways that it probably could avoid when it makes the experience for those who buy in and those who don't less than what it could be. That's an issue for map packs not season passes, though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For games I know I will put a load of hours into, the Seasons Passes are great. I did it for Borderlands and never regretted it. If Respawn can give me a load more content for Titanfall at a good price, I will be happy to pay.

Exactly. As mentioned, with MP games you have a very good idea of what you'll be getting (maps, guns, Titans here possibly) so the main question is whether or not you'll still be playing when all DLC is out. If you will be, get the pass. If you are unsure, don't get it. Pretty simple.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

while i tend to agree with your points it is a bit odd to put money down for an unknown product. a dlc season pass should be sold with information on exactly what you are getting

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
while i tend to agree with your points it is a bit odd to put money down for an unknown product. a dlc season pass should be sold with information on exactly what you are getting

This is the risk, I agree. Like I said, though, it's a bit easier to jump in with multiplayer games as you know the standard DLC is maps and modes, sometimes guns, etc.

It's all optional, though, so it's not like an online pass or something you have to get.

Season passes are somewhat of a risk I suppose but less so with your traditional shooter. They were obviously going to release more maps at some point as paid DLC and if you can get it at a discount and not have to wait then I think it is a risk worth taking.

Woo-Fu

Banned

The better ones give you a good idea of what you're getting. With BF4 you know how many expansions there are and you know to expect 4-5 maps, 4-5 weapons, and a new game mode now and then.

I don't see it as that much different than funding a kickstarter, or a pre-order discount. They're things that the customer needs to decide if they're worth the opportunity cost.

Have to say I'm a bigger fan of the BF DLC model than the COD one.

Not sure what it looks like now but they used to only do a handful of maps.

Jito

Banned

Yeh! Screw them for giving us the option to purchase all the DLC at a lower price! How fucking cheeky of them.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It's the same as pre-ordering and do you know what people get when they pre-order? A big dick in their mouth.

Dandalf

Neo Member
We should put what kind of game modes they plan on playing when we list our Gamertags and Origin ID's.

I love having the option to send all you dudes friend requests, but if you're gonna play Last Titan Standing it'll make me sad.

My GT: Dandalph
Primary Mode: Hardpoint

Send me a dang friend request and a message that lets me know you're from GAF. I sent a couple out yesterday to some folks in here. It'd be nice to get a party of six dominating Hardpoint.

Jito

Banned
It's the same as pre-ordering and do you know what people get when they pre-order? A big dick in their mouth.

I got DS2 and Titanfall at half price when pre ordering. I don't see how cheaper games is a bad thing, are you paying full price once you know what you're getting instead?

ascully

Anyone who ordered the digital PC version through Gamefly know when they normally deliver keys for preorders? Would like to preload if possible.

shandy706

I've yet to buy a season pass...so I get your point.

Unfortunately, listing everything would end up with everyone crying that they're holding things back to sell later. People will complain no matter what.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I got DS2 and Titanfall at half price when pre ordering. I don't see how cheaper games is a bad thing, are you paying full price once you know what you're getting instead?

It's about paying for a relatively unknown quantity. If you know your going to enjoy something then there's no real difference, but your still taking a massive shot in the dark. There's a reason why pre-ordering isn't as common in other industries, because it's literally the best thing in the world for a company hence why they put up pre-order incentives.

monome

Sweet!!!!
I played. I lost. goddamn open-space...

It's about paying for a relatively unknown quantity. If you know your going to enjoy something then there's no real difference, but your still taking a massive shot in the dark. There's a reason why pre-ordering isn't as common in other industries, because it's literally the best thing in the world for a company hence why they put up pre-order incentives.

come on, it's 60$. 50$ max for the DLCs. Let's not make it into a matter of principles.
The games industry as a whole relies on us acting like kids even though we're many years beyond that.

antitrop

Anyone who ordered the digital PC version through Gamefly know when they normally deliver keys for preorders? Would like to preload if possible.

I did, but I'm not holding my breath about getting it in time to preload. Either way, getting it at a discount would be worth giving up the ability to preload. I wouldn't be mad. I could have pre-ordered for full price on Origin, if I wanted to guarantee that.

But I will say that I also pre-ordered RE4 HD from Gamefly and they sent me the key early enough to pre-load it, so there's that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I played. I lost. goddamn open-space...

come on, it's 60$. 50$ max for the DLCs. Let's not make it into a matter of principles.
The games industry as a whole relies on us acting like kids even though we're many years beyond that.

I not talking about principles I don't really care what people decide to do with their money there's nothing wrong with to support a game and company you enjoying getting entertainment from.

It's simply the fact because gamers are such a passionate bunch such practices are more common because people are willing to pay.

monome

It's simply the fact because gamers are such a passionate such practices are more common because people are willing to pay

I agree. it's just your analogy was...a bit too fun to ignore.

YES, the industry plays too much around passion/involvement of gamers and creates ways of using such emotions to laugh all the way to the bank.

I'm gonna get the season pass, because TF will be my only MP game until Destiny lands.
Because Respawn seems to have talent.

and because I'm a gamer and I've long forfeited the concept anything games related is a sound and reasonnable investment of either my time or money. it's an incredible hobby. and a harsh mistress.

http://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/1zdq8p/leaked_pics_more_info_in_comments/

Without spoiling any story details, there are 9 campaign matches, and you can play from each side, IMC and Militia. The matches consist of 5 Attrition & 4 Hardpoint games. Picking each side results in different pre-match briefings and chatter during the battles. There are some surprises which will keep things different from the traditional multiplayer experience.

So the game really doesn't have any interesting modes, then. Even the campaign is just Attrition (TDM) and Hardpoint (DOM)? Wow. Call of Duty with parkour and mechs it is. So much wasted potential...

ascully

I did, but I'm not holding my breath about getting it in time to preload. Either way, getting it at a discount would be worth giving up the ability to preload. I wouldn't be mad. I could have pre-ordered for full price on Origin, if I wanted to guarantee that.

But I will say that I also pre-ordered RE4 HD from Gamefly and they sent me the key early enough to pre-load it, so there's that.

So there is hope, thanks for the reply :)

Timu

battlefield doesnt really count btw as it has a server browser/filtering system allowing me to instantly find games on any maps I want. Halo never had this so you were at the mercy of the pairing system. I played a very great deal of each halo game and both reach / H4 suffered in this area. I very very rarely got any of the dlc I payed for in matchmaking and I had all of it. Halo 3 was the last trueskill matchmaking game where I found a lot of dlc matches in MM.

I dont understand why they dont just do free dlc and have a ton of cosmetic microtransactions or something =/ tens of thousands of people will buy random little cosmetic packs at 3$ or something is that not enough? is the paid dlc model just so profitable that they will derail matchmaking consistency over it?
I wouldn't mind that but knowing them paid DLC is the way to go for most profit.=O

ACE 1991

Man I would love to find a shooter to really get into, but the complete lack of recoil on Titanfall weapons is such a turn off.

Kyzon

So Titanfall has an Asteroids clone.
Here's the website.

You'll need more than my computer to play it as it tells me that my "smartphone isn't powerful enough to play the game"

I must "Come back when I have (more) of a computer.

BraXzy

So Titanfall has an Asteroids clone.
Here's the website.

You'll need more than my computer to play it as it tells me that my "smartphone isn't powerful enough to play the game"

I must "Come back when I have (more) of a computer.

Pretty fun little thing.

7ad34aa84863efc46bb75be1dd78a8d2.png

Milennia

Simple and first rule...stay off the ground. That is where most FPS people will end up being and its the place new players will stay and get shot. Stick to the skies!

Second rule...stop thinking about the maps from an modern shooter viewpoint (i.e everything is on a horizontal plain to make it easier for people to hit). The game is way more vertical and movement based that most modern shooters. Learning to navigate the map feels more like Quake/Unreal than it does CoD.

I didnt expect to see anyone say this.

Yes.
In Titanfall, stay off the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom