• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To people who have played Planescape: Torment

MoccaJava

Banned
I am really looking for a good, single player RPG.

I have read a bit on Planescape: Torment, but still have some questions.

I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate. However, I really enjoyed interacting with the characters and the world and non-combat heavy quests. Is it true that this is basically the gameplay of the game?

Also, how big is the game? I enjoyed the length of Baldur's Gate, and am worried that it won't nearly be as long.

How are the characters? The quests?

In the IGN review, it said that sometimes the game would rather make you read an event in words instead of show them in graphics. Can one elaborate in further detail in how this affects the game? I like reading, but I don't want to have to read when something badass is happening.

How is the main city? I loved Amn due to how big it was, and all the variety of districts.

Anything else I should know or you want to say?

One more quick thing: This isn't one of those rarer pc games I'll have to order online, will I? I just want to be able to walk into a store and assume they should have it.

Thanks. :)

"I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate. However, I really enjoyed interacting with the characters and the world and non-combat heavy quests. Is it true that this is basically the gameplay of the game?"

There's still some combat, but Planescape is much more dialogue heavy than Combat heavy (which is a good thing, because Planescape's combat's pretty meh). That doesn't fully answer your question but...

"Also, how big is the game? I enjoyed the length of Baldur's Gate, and am worried that it won't nearly be as long."

It won't be nearly as long. Not near as many quests, etc. 50-60 hours, I'm guessing?

"How is the main city? I loved Amn due to how big it was, and all the variety of districts."

The main city's pretty large. As large as Athkatla easily, probably larger.

"How are the characters?"

Some of the best written characters and Voice work ever.

"One more quick thing: This isn't one of those rarer pc games I'll have to order online, will I? I just want to be able to walk into a store and assume they should have it."

I found it and another game in a 2-for-10 bucks at wal-mart. I'd assume you should be able to find it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Damn all these Planescape topics!

Every time I see one, I want to play it again. And I don't have the time for that!

golem

i just replayed torment last week.. haha.. stuck with magic this time around. maybe time to load up fo2 next

MoccaJava

Banned
There's still some combat, but Planescape is much more dialogue heavy than Combat heavy (which is a good thing, because Planescape's combat's pretty meh). That doesn't fully answer your question but...

Yeah that's cool. Combat was not one of my favorite parts of BG2 though I didn't mind it.

I enjoyed minor combat in Athkatla though...for example, the Rejaak Hidesman tailor slash murderer quest.

One more thing:

I understand Torment is very, very non-linear in regards to classes? Would someone mind explaining the class system a little bit in more detail than they did in the IGN review (which was not much)?

golem

pretty much you can choose which class you want to work on by talking to different trainers.. there are no penalites for switching back and forth. also you get a stat point to add to your stats at every level.. since it is a more dialogue oriented game alot of people recommend you boost your wisdom and maybe int and charisma, so you get better dialogue choices, etc

Top Bottom