• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard Rules Out Fallout 1 and 2 Remakes

Draugoth

Gold Member
yodBUtEBu6Y9VXQ3tC8TCo.jpg

IIn an interview Howard said that some of the charm of Fallout 1 and 2 has to do with the fact they remain firmly rooted in the old-school PC role-playing game era of the mid-to-late 90s, so he’s happy to leave them where there while ensuring they run well.

“The main priority for us is to make sure they're available and you can still play them,” Howard said. “So on the PC obviously they're there for people to go and get and play, and making sure that they run okay. As far as beyond that, we've talked about it, but our priorities in terms of, hey let’s go do dev work and make certain things work, they haven't been in those areas. So again, priority is, hey can people load it up and play it?

xrnzaaas

It would still be possible to release them on the consoles since we got console releases for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 or Planescape Torment with some UI changes (lazy ones, I will admit that). Maybe it didn't happen, because not many old fans would be interested and they probably wouldn't appeal to potential new fans.

Laptop1991

They are both being remade by modders anyway, especially Fallout 2 which won't take years, as for Todd not wanting to remake them, no surprise there, i hope the Fallout 3 remake or remaster is true though.

Last edited:

Red5

Yes the CRPG roots and isometric view are an inseparable part of the charm of FO 1 and 2 but you can still remake them while keep those intact, pretty much like what Blizzard did with Diablo 2 and Starcraft Remastered.

I'm good either way honestly I still replay them every couple of years.

“The main priority for us is to make sure they're available and you can still play them,” Howard said. “So on the PC obviously they're there for people to go and get and play, and making sure that they run okay. As far as beyond that, we've talked about it, but our priorities in terms of, hey let’s go do dev work and make certain things work, they haven't been in those areas. So again, priority is, hey can people load it up and play it?

translation: 'fortunately we have a platform for you console owners: pc...'

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Cmom, I tried to play few years ago and ended dropping in 15 minutes because I couldn't really tell apart what was enemies on screen and what was ground.

I don't understand how we get 100's of remaster of last gen games, but just a few from 20+ years ago, the ones that would benefit the most. I guess anything that would require a actual effort from devs is a big no-no.

I hear him. BUT...

A remake of two would do a lot to bridge the gap lore wise for people unfamiliar with the previous entries.

Plus, a next-gen version of the Master would be awesome.

Timed with a potential future season of the show ( maybe 3?), it would do it numbers.

money GIF

Killer8

I don't think a fully 3D open world remake, like what those fan modders are making, would out work well. The isometric camera in Fallout gives you a natural fog of war where you don't fully know what's up ahead. It really captures the feeling of venturing out into the unknown, which you lose when you... well, can see in front of you.

Perrott

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't think there were ever any rumors about Fo1 or 2 being remade anyway. Kind of a moot point.

Denton

I would actually fucking LOVE to see Fallout 1 and 2 (and even Tactics) get Diablo 2 Resurrected treatment.
Add controller support, add redrawn high res graphics, add quality of life improvements, leave the rest as is.

And then also contract Obsidian to do full 3D first person remakes, thanks.

Of course, Todd is probably still insecure about pre-Bethesda Fallout games being better and more praised than Bethesda ones, so none of this is gonna happen even if it makes perfect sense.

Larxia

People should stop saying that. While the idea of having another Fallout as good as New Vegas is obviously exciting, the Obsidian that made New Vegas is long gone, it's not the same studio or the same persons anymore, so it wouldn't really mean anything and wouldn't be a sign of quality.

Perrott

Add controller support, add redrawn high res graphics, add quality of life improvements, leave the rest as is.
They also should restore cut content, such as the Jackals and Vipers gangs which are mentioned in the game as being some of the bandits groups harassing Shady Sands alongside the Khans, but that you never encountered in-game due to their removal caused by Fallout being behind schedule at the time.

Denton

People should stop saying that. While the idea of having another Fallout as good as New Vegas is obviously exciting, the Obsidian that made New Vegas is long gone, it's not the same studio or the same persons anymore, so it wouldn't really mean anything and wouldn't be a sign of quality.
We are talking about a remake here. If Boyarsky who literally co-created Fallout 1 and is still at Obsidian was in charge, perhaps together with Sawyer, I am pretty sure they would be able to do it justice.
They also should restore cut content, such as the Jackals and Vipers gangs which are mentioned in the game as being some of the bandits groups harassing Shady Sands alongside the Khans, but that you never encountered in-game due to their removal caused by Fallout being behind schedule at the time.
Of course

Wildebeest

Fallout 3 fans are lightweights. They couldn't emotionally handle a remake of Fallout that was worth anything. They would basically have to make a totally new game for them with all the good stuff stripped out. As for Fallout 2, it is basically an unfinished game and if you adjusted for modern audiences and took out all the content that referenced "red flag" topics like slavery, sexism, racism and prostitution you would have very little content left.

Well, actually...

yeah, well, i'm sorta a traditionalist, eh?. as in, a version downloadable on the playstation/xbox/switch store...

MrRenegade

Banned
I would actually fucking LOVE to see Fallout 1 and 2 (and even Tactics) get Diablo 2 Resurrected treatment.

Of course, Todd is probably still insecure about pre-Bethesda Fallout games being better and more praised than Bethesda ones, so none of this is gonna happen even if it makes perfect sense.
Btw, what on the fuck Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain is working on after they have finished Outer Worlds? I loved the visuals of that game.

Dazraell

I was hoping inXile could remake them on a same tech they used for Wasteland 3

Btw, what on the fuck Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain is working on after they have finished Outer Worlds? I loved the visuals of that game.
If I remember correctly, Boyarsky is Outer Worlds 2 game director, while Tim Cain left Obsidian, semi-retired and started a YouTube channel. He's still consulting on Outer Worlds 2 though

Top Bottom