• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Slayven

That is another thing, they hint strongly that Kirko has a thing for Chase. But they throw in those odd flirting moments with Shinosuke and Gou calling him brother in law.

WarRock

I still want to peep Fruity Warlords Present...Soccer Time because it wouldn't feel like a complete watch of the series without it. I thought some random group did a sub of it or am I thinking of something else?
Yeah, I think it was group by the name of BananaArms? Or it was ImaginationStation, can't remember at the moment.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
That is another thing, they hint strongly that Kirko has a thing for Chase. But they throw in those odd flirting moments with Shinosuke and Gou calling him brother in law.

i dont think shin cares if she chases after him.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love how Gaim Gaiden is basically "Well, that happened. Now let us never speak of it again." :lol

Also, random dirt bike flips. Because reasons.

Seriously, I laughed my ass off at the Baron section basically becoming an episode of Ninja Storm for a couple minutes there.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I have to imagine we're getting more Rangers this season. The sixth has already been introduced, last time that happened was Kyoryuger and we got 10 of them by the end (11 if you count D).

WillyFive

Ninninger #10: America Strikes Back

Wow! Starninja is great! Great suit, too. He is a bit like Gou from Drive, maybe another example of an executive being obsessed with something and having both Rider and Sentai implement it. They went all American caricature with this guy, all the way to the selfies.

I have to imagine we're getting more Rangers this season. The sixth has already been introduced, last time that happened was Kyoryuger and we got 10 of them by the end (11 if you count D).

It is interesting how early he's arrived. Maybe TV Asahi just wants the big yearly plot points to happen earlier in the year for more consistent ratings? Kyoryuger also felt sped up in that way, seemingly written to have multiple 'big moments' (they were able to have a couple big "new ranger" episodes and a couple "big finale" episodes in one year).

I love how Gaim Gaiden is basically "Well, that happened. Now let us never speak of it again." :lol

Also, random dirt bike flips. Because reasons.

Seriously, I laughed my ass off at the Baron section basically becoming an episode of Ninja Storm for a couple minutes there.

Especially with the fact that Touka killed Takatora and Micchi's father

CUE UP THE NINJA STORM THEME.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Apparently they always add the extra bits or something to the bikes in post-production, which I guess was too costly here...I've heard you can actually see the front-piece of "Rose Attacker" on Kaito's bike in the V-Cinema.

javadoze

Dad is totally going to become a ranger right? Not a ninja but maybe something else?

Maybe not their Dad, but the roll call pose for the entire team seems a bit lopsided for there not to be at least another Ninninger.

CEChB0ZUEAAWc0N.jpg

I don't know what y'all was talking about but Fruity Warlords Present...Soccer Time was pretty good. I do get the "you could skip it thing" because of how it is more or less the abridged version of the story you spent a year watching but at the same time it gains and loses something because of when we all got a chance to watch it. It does a great job of setting up the end game in a way if you would've watched the movie when it came out you would've had that light bulb moment during the final push of the show. On the other side it did put the whole series in perspective for watching it after the fact because you know how things end and that even given that information is that they hid the end game for your TV show inside a movie and it even provided a moment that the TV show could never replicate and that was great too.

If you're on the fence then give it a watch. It deviates enough from Soccer Time for it to be a huge misnomer to what it is you actually get from it.

Yeah, I think it was group by the name of BananaArms? Or it was ImaginationStation, can't remember at the moment.

BananaArms were the ones who did Soccer World.

Excuse me for not thanking you both earlier!

WillyFive

I think he will become important to the plot, there's too much build-up for there to be nothing there. The fact that he stands out so much from the rest of the family will probably make him a major-player somehow in the finale arc.

vareon

Dad is totally going to become a ranger right? Not a ninja but maybe something else?

I'd rather him to stay this way. He's a father figure to the rangers (literally to some) and a good character for actual fathers who watch the show. I want him to do something unexpected, like taking on Gengetsu without any Nintality watchamacallit. He reminds me of the father in Kekkaishi.

Fruity Warlords Present...Fruity Gaiden W Sigma was really good too. No way they would've been able to tell those stories in the midst of all that craziness but it fills in some small gaps of the story we wouldn't have otherwise got which mainly was more info Ryoma and stuff that predates the show too.

A must watch!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, out of all the crossover movies, the Gaim x Drive one feels like the most interesting for me. Too bad by the time it is subbed it would look Drive so underpowered compared to now.

Watch Da Birdie

Anything Goes *some sub group* released the Gaim Final Stage Show.

It's pretty neat, honestly, I'd give it a watch. At the end there's this pretty cool battle with everyone, including Jonouchi and Hase teaming up again, and Ryouma and Sid working with the heroes all while acting aloof about it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. :)

ahdurian

Ninninger 10

Man....I love Starninger....though the Engrish is bad, I love everything else about him

Also, going through the Ninninger Vine makes me love Kasumi even more uguu~~

BatDan

Ninninger 10

StarNinger is both amazing and utterly stupid. I laughed when he threatened to sue that woman for interfering.
I wish they could have gotten a Japanese-America actor that's actually good at English. Similar to Kane Kosougi.
Still, I hope Kinji stays consistent. He's similar to Gou in Drive, an over-the-top fighter from America, but Gou ended up turning to crap.

Holy crap Takaharu can deliver his catchphrase without it being cringey as hell! The one at the end not the beginning.

And so we have a rivalry dynamic for this season. Let's see how long it lasts.

ahdurian

Ninninger 10

StarNinger is both amazing and utterly stupid. I laughed when he threatened to sue that woman for interfering.
I wish they could have gotten a Japanese-America actor that's actually good at English. Similar to Kane Kosougi.
Still, I hope Kinji stays consistent. He's similar to Gou in Drive, an over-the-top fighter from America, but Gou ended up turning to crap.

Holy crap Takaharu can deliver his catchphrase without it being cringey as hell! The one at the end not the beginning.

And so we have a rivalry dynamic for this season. Let's see how long it lasts.

two episodes and then they're going to be buddy-buddy

also,

Drive 28

good god I hate Gou now...but at least what I thought was going to happen looks like iis

BatDan

Drive 28

I had hoped that these events would get Gou to change. Then I saw Brain approach him... and 001 mentions using him as a "secret weapon". What happened Sanjou? You did a good job in his first appearances.

Considering how often the Type Zero special has been reference, I'm surprised it wasn't made into an actual episode. I get the feeling the Summer movie will be referenced at the end of the series a/la Gaim. Any word on that by the way?

I loved the scene where they faked a Roidmude attack to get Shinnosuke un-suspended. The intentionally bad acting is what made it.

vareon

Drive 28

Show is ramping up, it might end up being one of the better seasons. The villains are on a roll, even after losing Chase. Gou becomes the unlikeable one but his downfall makes sense given the story development. They're not kidding when they say they took lessons from Gaim. We're still at 28 so I hope this keeps on giving.

NeonZ

Drive 28

I had hoped that these events would get Gou to change. Then I saw Brain approach him... and 001 mentions using him as a "secret weapon". What happened Sanjou? You did a good job in his first appearances.

Considering how often the Type Zero special has been reference, I'm surprised it wasn't made into an actual episode. I get the feeling the Summer movie will be referenced at the end of the series a/la Gaim. Any word on that by the way?

The only information about the summer movie given by the initial announcement is that there'll be a secret revealed that changes the tv series. So, it should tie into the tv show, probably in a stronger way than Gaim's.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 10:

Don't think the whole "is he evil/an asshole?" first part was necessary at all. But the second part kinda made up for it. Nice to see Starninger showing off and Takaharu failing at it. Wish he continues being awesome.

Also, the way Takaharu said his catchphrase at the ending was a lot better than the way he normally does it. They should change it to be like this always.

Drive 28:

While I hate the direction that Gou took, I can see this becoming something interesting. Hope they only solve this whole situation soon, or it'll be as bad as Chase on the first part of the series.

Oh, Chase is a cool guy now. Loved how they solved the whole Shinnosuke can't henshin problem. Best part of the episode by far.

I also love the whole "fightning real criminals" turn the series took. The Detective part of the series is one of it's strenghts, and this only reinforces it.

Gen x Rinna best couple.

The ToQger pose is probably the best Sentai pose, or right up there.

Any faves here in particular?

I love the Magiranger pose, especially the twirl they do beforehand:

tumblr_mrhzxwFogJ1s9o2o3o1_400.gif

Yeah, ToQGer was pretty good, wish they do something like that on the future.
Carranger is also pretty good. If I had to chose one to be my second favorite, it would probably be this.

I also like some of the older ones for the ridiculousness. For example, here's Flashman's pose:

That's... not practical, but pretty cool.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Star Ninger's cool. Not as much as I hoped for but I enjoyed him.

Everything shown in the next episode's preview looks awesome though. Rodeomaru and Shinobimaru teaming up. Taka fighting that guy again. Some thing with the other four doing the dance in show

Watch Da Birdie

Just realized we might see the next Rider trademarked by the end of the month. Wonder what it'll be?

The only information about the summer movie given by the initial announcement is that there'll be a secret revealed that changes the tv series. So, it should tie into the tv show, probably in a stronger way than Gaim's.

Yeah, I believe specifically it's that Mr. Belt is hiding a "dark secret".

Also apparently the actor who played Hojou from Agito hinted awhile back that he and the other actors of the G3 Team were doing "something", and I know quite a few people suspect it might tie into Drive's film as some sort of crossover with previous police-based Riders.

javadoze

Just realized we might see the next Rider trademarked by the end of the month. Wonder what it'll be?

Yeah, I believe specifically it's that Mr. Belt is hiding a "dark secret".

Also apparently the actor who played Hojou from Agito hinted awhile back that he and the other actors of the G3 Team were doing "something", and I know quite a few people suspect it might tie into Drive's film as some sort of crossover with previous police-based Riders.

Summer movie roadtrip with the G3 crew?

As for the next Rider, I dunno, it seems like when Drive was announced they did a lot of the obvious themes for a rider show, but then they gave us a car/detective show.

Bugs? It's been nearly 10 years since Kabuto so I'd want at least another bug rider right about now.

ReiGun

The ToQger pose is probably the best Sentai pose, or right up there.

Any faves here in particular?

I love the Magiranger pose, especially the twirl they do beforehand:

tumblr_mrhzxwFogJ1s9o2o3o1_400.gif

I'm looking at this gif like "Wow Urara was swole as fuck." Then I realized it was the Gokaiger. lol

It also helped me realize even thing I love about Gokaiger. Even when they're doing other Sentai poses, they include little bits of body language that fit those characters. Like Red is still clearly Marvelous.

Tiu Neo

Just watched Kabuto 32.

What the fuck. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Also, nearing Gekiranger's endgame, about 10 or so episodes to go. With this, I can say I like how sentai that start with 3 people can focus better on the characters.
Gou is also a cool character, and the whole brother relationship with Retsu was pretty cool, if a bit underutilized up to now. Ken is awesome. Rio and Mele are such likable characters, too, I'll be sad if one of them dies.

Watching Geki-Senshi episodes, but TV-Nihon subbed movies. I think it would be better if I didn't watch the movies. I mean, the summer movie was kinda cool, but I couldn't understand half of what Jan said.

WillyFive

Gekiranger is a classic. Excellent show.

As for movies, I thought Vs Go-Onger was pretty good, certainly watch it after you finish the show.

Top Bottom