• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 09

Kasumi and Yakumo were pretty good on this episode. Not much Takaharu, which is a good extra. Wish we get some more focus episodes like this one!

And... Rodeomaru is awesome. It's like Tetra Boy on drugs or something like that! StarNinger also looks like a weird mix between Jiraiya, Genta and Shurikenger, plus a bit stronger on the cowboy side. I think I'll like him.

ahdurian

Drive 27

Man...I used to love Gou when he first debuted, because he was such a fun character...
Now I'm just sick of him
interesting though that Gou said
he was running out of time
used to think that
the Mach Driver was slowing killing him...but not sure now

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah this is veering on MISUNDERSTANDINGS level.

YrobK0O.gif

WarRock

Shuriken Sentai Mahou Ninja 9
Ninjas doing ninja stuff, animality and YEE-HAW RODEOMARU. Best episode so far.

Hope we get more tricky infiltration sequences.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Drive 27

And we're back to Gou being a terrible character... I get that he has a reason now, but he's acting too annoying right now.
And it's not going to change if what I hear is true

They really should have said outright that Brain has infiltrated. Then again, considering 001 can brainwash people with ease...

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 09

-Yakumo was actually pretty interesting, I wasn't too hot on him prior.
-Taka isn't as annoy this week, which is good.
-The Gold Ninninger looks cool,
-Kasumi continues to be beautiful and awesome.

Drive 27

-Oooh looks like Brain tricked Shinnosuke
-Oooh that slap, from Kirinko
-I smell a relationship blooming between Rinna and Gen
-Jeez Gou at least let Chase finish his job before you start fighting with him.
-Gou's dad caused Global Freeze. :O

Either way roll on next week episode.

Tiu Neo

Drive 27

What a hook at the ending. Hope they solve the whole Gou situation soon, not liking how his character is right now. Chase recovering his memories could lead to something interesting too.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Guessing the sister who hired Gou is totally the Roidmude, right? She seemed to disappear when he popped up, plus he mentioned "everything was going as planned".

ahdurian

Guessing the sister who hired Gou is totally the Roidmude, right? She seemed to disappear when he popped up, plus he mentioned "everything was going as planned".

i figured that was because
the Roidmudes realized they could manipulate Mach, as all the victims went in a violent rage when inserted with the hybrid, as a test to see if normal humans can be hybrid-Roidmudes. If it does happen, Mach could be swayed and what better way to stick it to them than make Mach a Roidmude, after Chase became a Kamen Rider

Defuser

Drive 27
Whats with the out of nowhere forced dad subplot on Shinosuke for the past few episodes? There were no indication of it in the start of the series. Gou's confession about the roidmude is wtf? And Kiriko doesn't know about it? If she knows about it then why didn't she tell Shinosuke about it when Gou is acting all pissy about roidmude?

vareon

Drive 27
Whats with the out of nowhere forced dad subplot on Shinosuke for the past few episodes? There were no indication of it in the start of the series. Gou's confession about the roidmude is wtf? And Kiriko doesn't know about it? If she knows about it then why didn't she tell Shinosuke about it when Gou is acting all pissy about roidmude?

We knew about Shinnosuke's father for some time, no? It's just that Shinnosuke didn't think his father had any of this.

About Gou, I think that's supposed to be part of the mystery?

Watch Da Birdie

The asshole police commissionor is great, love the way he just trolls Shino, he got to be a Roidmude

Oh yeah, I love him too...nice replacement for the Chief now that the latter is "serious".

But I don't think he's a Roidmude since the head Roidmude did the whole "we're lucky humans are evil" speech in reference to him. I also have a strong feeling against all odds he's gonna become somewhat of an ally to Shinnosuke by the end.

WarRock

Drive 27
The Secret Mission side episodes man. We are not getting them, but remember how we met the serial killer that Shin and his partner got into custody first in the Secret Mission and them he was referenced in the show?

Tiu Neo

Hehe, good one. Started playing this yesterday, fun little game, but a few things are still a bit confusing for me. No way to start with a 3 person team too :(

EDIT: But that's understandable, the whole game is balanced for five people teams. At least I could make my BLT Sandwich based team, Bacongers.

Watch Da Birdie

Some new group subbed the Gaim Gaidens, neat! Don't know how well the quality is yet, but hey, I'll take it.

Still need to watch the Summer Movie, actually...why did you abandon us, Magenta?

BatDan

Gaim Gaiden Specials

The Takatora half was pretty boring. Kind of strange that NOW we bring up their dad, despite the fact that this takes place mid-series and they don't mention him before that. Unless I missed that.
The Kaito half was kind of fun. I am impressed with his actor's range.

Is the Drive X Gaim movie war on Blu-Ray yet?
EDIT: Checked the Wiki. May 13th. Soon.

Watch Da Birdie

I was pleasantly surprised by the Gaidens.

I went into them expecting them to be cheap, basically just focusing on the main characters of each and the newbies---was very nice to see they got everyone pretty much back (except the other Gaim members and Sagara), although I didn't recognize Peco at first since his hair isn't the same color anymore. I thought both of the new characters were pretty good, the new suits were cool, and the new information they added to the show didn't feel too intrusive. All in all, it was nice to see basically a Gaim episode again---I got a bit choked up during the credits, actually.

Oh, and yeah, do these have like a higher rating or something? The domestic abuse and Sid spitting out a ton of blood felt kind of off.

Hope to see more of them, which seems possible...

* Yuya Gaiden. I guess this one probably won't happen because there's no way they can really add the Kamen Riders into it except perhaps Gaim at the end, but I'd like to see what Team Gaim was like under Yuya. Maybe have some scenes focused on what Yggdrasil was up to pre-Armored Riders.

* Ornac and Kurokage Gaiden: Show us the scenes of Jonouchi actually missing Ryoji we didn't get in the show, and some new footage taking place when the two of them were a team.

* Oren Gaiden: He gets called back for a mission with his old squad, and meets an old enemy on the battlefield who has become a Kamen Rider or something. Writes itself, really.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
First of all, thanks for mentioning them. I wouldn't know otherwise.

Oh, and yeah, do these have like a higher rating or something? The domestic abuse and Sid spitting out a ton of blood felt kind of off.

They are V-Cinema releases (direct-to-video), so yes. Direct to Video releases always have blood on them and stuff, because they're rated for a older audience.

I always liked that about them.

WarRock

I actually discovered one of the guys at Behold is a member of a discussion group I'm in. Got surprised when he saw someone hyping up the game haha.

BatDan

Engine Sentai Go-Onger (series complete)

I really enjoyed that.
I feel it gets too much hate. Sure it's extremely goofy, but it's a lot of fun too.
Characters actually developed, got past their weaknesses, and became greater people by the end. The Engines were adorable too.
I'm impressed that for a season with villains that try to pollute the environment, it doesn't try to force PSAs down our throat. Unlike something like Captain Planet.

The million dollar question though... how is it in comparison to RPM? ... Honestly I feel the two shouldn't be compared. The two seasons are different in almost every way. This is one case where the fighting is pointless as they're both good shows on their own. Though it was funny seeing a lot of the original context.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't like go-onger because of the style of humor they employ. I prefer a surrealist like carranger or just a typical comedy found in your average sentai. I am not a big fan of anime-esque humor used in live action. I mean sure, Abaranger has it, but it's not as much as go-onger.

Tiu Neo

Kabuto... Has an Iron Chef arc. Really wtf couple of episodes, the whole Rider, ZECT and Worms battle was pretty much secondary on those.

I'm loving this series.

I still want to peep Fruity Warlords Present...Soccer Time because it wouldn't feel like a complete watch of the series without it. I thought some random group did a sub of it or am I thinking of something else?

Good to see G3PRINCESS & Tendou Time getting some watch love. Those 2 are a crazy combo to talk about because I watched Kabuto & Go-Onger back to back some time ago and they complimented each other very well.

Kabuto for its pro-Baa-chan is best Baa-chan stance is even for all the out the way shit the show does is the intrigue that show provided is what kept me coming back. This was also the series that taught me the rule for binge watching Sentai & Rider. Watch the movie as soon as you see the 1st intro to an episode that doesn't promote the movie and skip VS movies if you haven't watched the preceding show. The 2nd part is a no duh but the 1st is a must though.

Every single character of Go-Onger grew on me and that's what a show should do. Everybody got a chance to shine and more shows should aim to do that. It did also help me to put RPM into some honest perspective after watching it which is what has happened after I finish a Sentai for whatever reason and has been the case ever since when it comes to a Sentai I watched as PR show first.

Bearrv is the best and hold L's if you aint down with best Engine.

Watch Da Birdie

I LOVE Go-Onger. Still probably my favorite Sentai, just so fun all around with everyone being a great character including the Vehicles and Villains.

Also, Engine-O G12 FOR LIFE!

Kabuto... Has an Iron Chef arc. Really wtf couple of episodes, the whole Rider, ZECT and Worms battle was pretty much secondary on those.

I'm loving this series.

You've hit the "point of no return" for many. From here on out, Kabuto is completely off the rails. That's either a good or bad thing though...

BatDan

I LOVE Go-Onger. Still probably my favorite Sentai, just so fun all around with everyone being a great character including the Vehicles and Villains.

Also, Engine-O G12 FOR LIFE!

I love how G12 was so over-powered that they had to write ways around not using it.
Like one episode had Speedor run out of energy, or one where BearRV ran out of energy, or the Ancients have a crisis of confidence (or just don't show up at all).
Then when the final boss shows up they just said "fuck it" and "killed" almost everyone off.

Tiu Neo

You've hit the "point of no return" for many. From here on out, Kabuto is completely off the rails. That's either a good or bad thing though...

Well then, let's see what happens now. I liked the Iron Chef arc, it was kinda refreshing. I LIKE when things get weird, so maybe it's going to get better for me?

The funny thing is that the last thing me and my friend watched together was... Iron Chef. Kabuto was the perfect series to watch after that, hah.

Oh yeah, the whole Baa-chan thing is great. It's a strange series, I feel like Arata is more of a main character and Tendou is the mentor (who saved him when he had no powers), at least up to now.

vareon

I was...not prepared with Kabuto's Iron Chef episode. It was my first time of trying to completely follow a Kamen Rider, and the last one I followed was Faiz. It changed my opinion on the show's direction.

Where Drive is right now is where it should have started off at.

I don't quite know about that. What kind of show would've Drive been if it went all intrigue at that level from the start to where we are now? You could work the same premise but it we'd have a whole different show. They may have been able to work the more international part after the Global Freeze by having a team of Riders to deal with various Roimude threats and it could've been a more Rider focused ensemble instead of what we have now which I thought the show was going to lean towards when Gou showed up.

I'm glad the show waited until the midway point to twist the show in this direction. We've had the opportunity to grow with these characters and I just don't feel this turn without the build would have the same effect as it does now. The turn happened at the right time where the story needed it and the end game is very clear whereas if the show would've started at this point is the end game wouldn't even be sight for at least another 10 episodes at least because there would've been so many regime changes until the true big bad made that Episode 40 entrance because that would've been the only logical way to do it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't think Drive should have started where it is now, but I do think it should have gotten to where it is 10 episodes or so sooner. The first half of Drive spent a lot of time meandering about with little story progression. You could cut a lot of that out and not lose much. Maybe not 10 episodes worth, but a lot.

I do hate that a lot of people who jumped on (or back on after a hiatus from the franchise) for Gaim didn't give Drive a chance, though. It's really a good show. Of course it was never going to be Gaim, Riku Sanjo is no Gen Urobuchi, but it's still an entertaining Kamen Rider. Especially now that things have picked up.

I don't think Drive should have started where it is now, but I do think it should have gotten to where it is 10 episodes or so sooner. The first half of Drive spent a lot of time meandering about with little story progression. You could cut a lot of that out and not lose much. Maybe not 10 episodes worth, but a lot.

This is pretty much where I am.

I do hate that a lot of people who jumped on (or back on after a hiatus from the franchise) for Gaim didn't give Drive a chance, though. It's really a good show. Of course it was never going to be Gaim, Riku Sanjo is no Gen Urobuchi, but it's still an entertaining Kamen Rider. Especially now that things have picked up.

The problem is it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Early Drive was just kind of... there. Much better than Wizard, but it lacks the pacing of Gaim and Shinnosuke/Belt isn't as charismatic a pairing as Shotaro/Philip, Eiji/Ankh, or Gentaro/Everybody. They could fix that by playing up Kiriko a bit more, but they seem to be fine with sidelining her unless Chase is involved.

Top Bottom