• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

I mean, he straight up Sakamoto-ed in Movie War Ultimatum.

tumblr_mmm7nemmNz1qljq3ao1_500.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So the latest KR rumor is that it's not only fashion, but Egyptian themed.
This is JoJo! There better be epic posing.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So the latest KR rumor is that it's not only fashion, but Egyptian themed.
This is JoJo! There better be epic posing.

This one, right?

Next Kamen Rider is "Kamen Rider Ra" (ラー).
Fashion + Egyptian Theme. Undersuit resemble a mummy with bandages, and main color is gold/red with ankhs embedded in body.
Cards as collectibles again, are hard plastic and like credit cards with animals on them and have a barcode. Belt is a credit card reader device, and slide cards through a slot that's shaped like Sphinx. Also has a little fake-pen and pressure-censor touch screen in center that the Rider "signs".
Has three interchangeable elements of suit---a "hat", armpieces, and legpiece. The Credit Cards give the Rider a complete set based on an animal and a clothing material (in some cases plastic that resembles that material rather), called an Ensemble, but can rotate the Sphinx Card Reader around and then re-slide different cards to individually change the hat, armpiece, or legpiece for a Mix Ensemble.
Main Form is Nyarn Ensemble, has a red yarn cap (like Bossun), yarn mittens, and yarn leg-warmers with cat decorations. Looks really cute, and cat-based. Second Form is Allleather Ensemble, has green leather fedora, green leather sleeves, and green leather boots with spikes resembling alligator's teeth. Third Form is Wooram Ensemble, has a white afro-like wool hat, white wool armguards, and white wool kneeguards. Can mix those three together for Mix Ensembles, and presumably more Ensembles will come.
Head-pieces of Ensemble give Ra different guns:, a Yarn-Ball Gun, a gun shaped like a pocket-book that unzips to fire, and a ram crossbow.
The Belt speaks "French" (somewhat...), saying things like "Bonjouride!" and "Le Henshin!".
Will debut in Drive Summer Movie.

Fake or not, I totally can see the Fashion-themed Driver shouting random french words.

Watch Da Birdie

If the new Rider is really going to be in the Movie (like this and the original 2ch rumor claimed), I've heard we might actually see them in the next toy catalog (which I think one should come out this month), as well as this month's Terebi-kun.

But we should get the trademark in May too.

Watch Da Birdie

A yarn kitty weapon...

This Rider really ought to be a woman if this is true. Little girls would eat that shit up.

It does sound like what a really over-the-top stereotypical woman Rider would use---credit cards to transform, a pocket-book gun---with the French theme in mind, even their name could be read as Kamen Rider La.

javadoze

If the Egyptian/Fashion rumor is true, I feel sorry for the Producer/Writer combo that has to craft this toyline into a story where it seems coherent (especially if we're getting a new writer on board).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Actually, this seems to play more towards the older female fanbase. Japan's whole thing with fashion is a lot different in the west where there really isn't much of a gender bias. Guys are totally into fashion without it really being a thing. So Fashion = Girl Rider imo isn't any more likely now than in the past.

Anywho, we've been listening to sentai themes in the car these days and I've realized that there are a lot of good themes out there and anything past like Jetman is pretty crappy. (That said Jetman is like top 3 best sentai theme easy).

What are some of y'alls favorites? There was a really good run of themes from about Goseiger to Gobusters. But I think my top five is probably:

Goseiger
Jetman
Gobusters
Gaoranger (hated at first, but love it now GAO, GAO GAO)
Gokaiger

Tiu Neo

Actually, this seems to play more towards the older female fanbase. Japan's whole thing with fashion is a lot different in the west where there really isn't much of a gender bias. Guys are totally into fashion without it really being a thing. So Fashion = Girl Rider imo isn't any more likely now than in the past.

Anywho, we've been listening to sentai themes in the car these days and I've realized that there are a lot of good themes out there and anything past like Jetman is pretty crappy. (That said Jetman is like top 3 best sentai theme easy).

What are some of y'alls favorites? There was a really good run of themes from about Goseiger to Gobusters. But I think my top five is probably:

Goseiger
Jetman
Gobusters
Gaoranger (hated at first, but love it now GAO, GAO GAO)
Gokaiger

I don't think there is any bad sentai theme, even the "worst" ones are pretty good. The run between Timeranger and Dekaranger was pretty great, imo. Dunno much about the lyrics, since my japanese knowledge is very basic.

If I had to choose some favorites, between the series I watched, it would probably be...

Jetman
Hurricanger
Abaranger
Gokaiger
Flashman
Shinkenger

From the ones I didn't watch, Gaoranger and Boukenger. I want to watch those series based on the main themes alone.

vareon

Egypt? Cards? Fashion? This is the long-awaited Yu-gi-oh! revival, isn't it?

On Sentai: I find it really hard to find a favourite. There's just so many of them. I like Gokaiger's but not the reff. I do like Kyoryuger's. And Turboranger's.

vareon

I really like Maskman's theme

Fun note: Given how similar Tagalog to Indonesian pronunciation is, yet the language is entirely different, the Tagalog version of Maskman OP almost sound like an Indonesian song with nonsense lyrics. Had some good laugh years ago.

NeonZ

The Egyptian rumor is false. It's posted by some /m/ user who always posts false rumors made up by himself around the time of a new show. He also even always uses the same trip code, so it's not like he's hiding it or anything. I guess there's always new people who take those rumors seriously and repost them elsewhere though.

ahdurian

so it looks like because of Drive movie, we now know what Type Tridoron looks like (other than the actual color palette).
Not really digging the design, but we'll see what it looks like in full color

Watch Da Birdie

Gotta say, the new episode of Drive is really good...tempted to say the best one yet.

Also that Roidmude's "OPEN!" voice cracked me up.

NeonZ

The scan also reveals a new upgrade for Mach (only in silhouette form, but yeah, it's coming).

Huh? It reveals a new form called "Kamen Rider Super Dead Heat Drive" using the Mach Driver, but it looks like a mix of Drive and Mashin Chaser, so it's probably a new form either for Drive or Chase. Unless there's another image I haven't seen?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Huh? It reveals a new form called "Kamen Rider Super Dead Heat Drive" using the Mach Driver, but it looks like a mix of Drive and Mashin Chaser, so it's probably a new form either for Drive or Chase. Unless there's another image I haven't seen?

Nah you're probably right. It's probably for Chase, since he doesn't have an upgrade yet.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 11

There's something wrong about two Japanese men trying to discuss proper English pronunciation.
Shinobimaru was too adorable this episode. Plus that fight at the end was pretty awesome. We need less combining and more single Zord fights. Especially with Rodeomaru joining in.
Next week:
Double combination time! Hell yeah!

Drive 29

Looks like Gou's turn was due to "Brain"washing. ... I'm sorry.
Shinnosuke's dad was totally killed by 001. Which only makes me wonder how he's been around for at least 12 years... we'll find out next week. Oh man, I'm actually looking forward to Drive now. The retool really helped.

Yeah, I see Heart having that type of death. With Medic defecting to 001's side.

Tiu Neo

Ninnin 11:

Starninger is off to a good start. I like how they made him clash with Yakumo, with the whole American x European, Ninja x Magic thing. And hey, everyone got a bit of the spotlight. Nagi is more than a backdrop, now! (I like his character, hope we get a decent focus episode for him soon). Nice seeing the team working well even without Takaharu. Yakumo or Kasumi are better leaders than him!

Shynobimaru (sorry) was a great use of the in-suit mecha. Also, dat mecha battle. Wish every sentai had mecha battles half as entretaining as that.

Drive 29:

Yeah, Brain would know about being upstaged by the newcomer, heh. The whole Brain x Medic thing is getting fun. Nice to see the old forms, tires and weapons, too.

Called it on Gon turning into an evil Rider. Didin't think it would be by Brainwash, but eh, anyway. Funny how Chase is the only one thinking straight right now.

We can say the story now is on... Top Gear.

javadoze

Sulking Sentai Ninninger 11

-Last week's episode felt a little plain due to being mainly setup, but this week now sold me on the inclusion of StarNinger to the team dynamic. I welcome the new assassin-butler.
-Sulking Shinobimaru is my favorite thing from this episode
he does kinda have a point about being left out ;-;
-Kasumi continues being the best character.
-The Raizo fight was pretty great. Though I was initially put off by the character, having someone like him around to knock Takaharu down a peg helps counterbalance emphasis Takaharu's being OP.
-The mech fight was also pretty nice, bringing me some Juusho fighter (Kakuranger) vibes.

Sulking Rider Mach 29

-Bugs me that they're already bringing in Type Tokujo stuff. Though it seems that they're going to explain the
Dr. Banno tablet
in the main series anyways so whatever.
-Nice inclusion of Wild and Technic here (or at least acknowledging their existence).
-More cop drama is a plus in my book, and finally giving Shinnosuke some kinda conflict is nice to see.
-Funny to see Chase being the sensible one at the end there.
"We're Kamen Riders. We don't have time for whiny babies like Gou."

NeonZ

I thought were already a Gaim movie where Warring States came back?

That was the first Gaim movie, Gaim & Wizard Movie Wars - where in the Gaim and crossover part the Riders go to another world that's a mix of the Sengoku Era with the modern age.

Aside from that there's Kamen Rider Taisen, the Gaim solo movie (in the world where soccer replaces dancing), Drive & Gaim Movie Wars and finally the first set of Gaim Gaiden (Zangetsu/Baron). Now, they've announced a second set of Gaim Gaiden (Duke/Knuckle).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That was the first Gaim movie, Gaim & Wizard Movie Wars - where in the Gaim and crossover part the Riders go to another world that's a mix of the Sengoku Era with the modern age.

Aside from that there's Kamen Rider Taisen, the Gaim solo movie (in the world where soccer replaces dancing), Drive & Gaim Movie Wars and finally the first set of Gaim Gaiden (Zangetsu/Baron). Now, they've announced a second set of Gaim Gaiden (Duke/Knuckle).

I think he's referring to Ryoma as "Warring States" (some people call Ryoma "Warren Statesman"). And in that case the movie he's referring to is Gaim x Drive, where he comes back as a cyborg.

Tiu Neo

Finished Gekiranger. Don't remember who recommended that to me, here, but thank you! It was great! Rio and Mele are two of my favorite "villains" now.

The fights were fun to watch, the story was good, and the focus on the two groups made the villains specially well developed.

The ending, where
both junken were unified, was pretty sweet. I liked how even the kenmas helped the heroes, to seal the big bad. The fact they used the same technique to seal Long that the Kenmas used on the masters was nice.

The narrator on the robot battles made then a bit more interesting than they normally are, but unfortunately they ended dropping that on the last few episodes.

The robot combinations... the biggest ones were kinda of a letdown, but at least the Geki Tohja and Geki Fire ones were nice and varied, with each having a very different battle style from the others.

The main trio was fun and well developed. The whole Body/Heart/Technique theme between the three, with they learning their weakness later, was really well done. Gou was also well developed, and his backstory was pretty good, even if the series kinda made him and Ken secondary after a bit. Ken was a fun addition to the team, but showed up a bit late, so he felt a bit underused.

I liked Mele and Rio. They were well developed, and made a nice couple.
Kinda sad that they had to die, but at least Rio reincarnated on that boy at the ending.

A bit too early to say, I still have to digest it all, but will probably be high on my ranking. If I had to say now, it would be at the same level of Dekaranger.

Next: Second half of Flashman, and finally, Carranger!

Also, 10~ or so episodes of Kabuto!

Top Bottom