• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Slayven

Red is ttoally going to be the last ninja but at instead he will go " We are all the Last ninja" and that is how the team get's it powerup

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Probably a combo of being mad poor working on toku and having enough drama roles to not have to go back.

Tori Matsuzaka is another one of the blow-out success stories, like Sota Fukushi (Fourze) or Yusuke Yamamoto (Sasword). I'm kinda hoping Gaku Sano goes the same route.

Oddly enough, Chase's actor has already been seen in a number of movies and dramas. I assume he took the role as a small boost.

He's a super famous actor now who's basically hitting the peak of his fame. Can't be slummin it in sentai world (especially when he obviously doesn't have a high opinion of the way Toei treats their actors).

javadoze

Drive 30

I'm kinda liking the Shinnosuke/Chase team more than Shinnosuke moreso than I ever did Shinnosuke/Gou. Also, while last week was the return of Wild/Technic, this week is the return of some normal hand-to-hand combat with Type Speed along with some Tire Exchanges.

Mid-season finale starting next week with Type Trideron the week after?

Some more rumors for the next Rider:
-Kazuhiro Takahashi is most likely the producer
-Unlike the tight, armored suits of Gaim and Drive, this Rider will feature a looser suit (whatever that means).
-Will feature a more street-style design.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ninninger 12

I don't think this episode was bad, it was just very... mediocre, in the actual true meaning of the word.

Sure, we basically got the end of the Raizou arc, a new Shuriken, a new finisher move (I believe that technically anybody can use it, but I wonder if we'll ever see anybody other than Red using it), a new Gattai and the revelation of a possible past pupil of the Last Ninja but.... I don't know. I feel that big things happened in this episode, but there wasn't any "big" feeling about it.

Takaharu×Raizou fight was well done, but it would be better if I actually liked the characters, any of the two really. Raizou seemed like a powerful character, but his obsession with killing RedNinger and this quick defeat of his were disappointing to me (Dogold and Schwarts were pretty cool characters with actual development). We do have a bunch of other enemies to show up, and if they're all as strong as Raizou it would explain why they have to kill one to bring another, but still.

I also noticed that the all around good times and good feeling that Ninninger episodes have was, weirdly enough, absent from this one. There were only two light-hearted scenes: the food grilling part (your usual Takaharu scene) and Fuuka being Fuuka (when Takaharu showed up for the Raizou fight). I know it was a intensive episode story-wise, but still.

Why didn't StarNinger go help the other members? The way Kasumi was researching and talking to StarNinger, I was hoping we would get a breather from Takaharu and get a Gold Leader and new combination with RodeoMaru being the "controlling" part of Shurikenjin for a couple episodes, while Takaharu recovered (and came back stronger, like he did, but with an actual reason, to then kill Raizou). A wasted opportunity.

Good news is: More Mecha nonsense with Shinobimaru and Rodeomaru next week!

Drive 30

I don't understand how Chase lying to Kiriko is better. "Then maybe he had a reason to get close to them". Sure, but what about attacking both Chase and Shinnosuke? Where's the reasoning in that?

Could it be because Chase thinks/knows that there's no way to get those memories back? I would think that knowing Gou is doing something against his will/because he doesn't have the entire scenario in his mind is better than not knowing why the fuck he's basically betraying all of his friends but hey, that's just me. I miss fun Gou... :( I was starting to worry that he was gonna go all the way bad, Micchi-style, but since his memories were altered, I hope he goes back to being the fast Kamen Rider. I also hope that they somehow explain his "I'm running out of time" thing - maybe they forgot?

Also, these two episodes seemed useless: The whole point of talking to the girl is to see if she knew if 001 was behind the attacks, so we could have a clue of who he is/where to find him, but Kiriko had the answer in her pocket for the past 2 days or so.

Another thing: For those that missed it, Over-Time's last "seasonal update" pretty much confirms that they won't do any of the remaining Gaim things, while discussion in the comments mentions that Magenta really "quit the scene". Good thing that BananaArms exists.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
maybe Gramps is just pulling their legs and there is no last ninja

or maybe the last ninja is in all our hearts

NeonZ

I also hope that they somehow explain his "I'm running out of time" thing - maybe they forgot?

Isn't that just him wanting to stop Kiriko from learning that their father created the Roidmudes? That's what I got out of the arc that revealed his motivations.

vareon

Full impressions time!

Drive

Continuing my belief that Drive one of the better Kamen Rider series. The plot moves as needed (albeit with inevitable hiccup in the early months), heroes and villains are great. The only thing I feel meh about Drive is the gimmick and design, and those are kind of the bread and butter of modern KR. My favorite design (Mashin Chaser) was substituted with an inferior design, too, so...

Ninninger

Apart from the really cool technique, it's about Takaharu. again. I thought it's a good chance to give the others a spotlight, especially when Starninger is lecturing him, but yeah.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 12

I really liked this one. Really great action scenes and the finishers were so good.
Interesting that Gabi didn't want to grow, I don't think I've ever seen a monster object to that.
KING SHURIKENJIN! HELL YEAH!
That plot twist at the end, that's piqued my interest.
Next week:
New general looks really creepy.

Drive 30

Yep, Gou is brainwashed. Though he's still a brat. I do like that Chase's and Gou's roles reversed, only Chase isn't annoying.
I just hope Chase not telling Kiriko the truth doesn't lead to any major "misunderstandings" nonsense.
That last scene of Chase's memories was pretty disturbing. Now comes the hard part of taking on Makage/001. Especially if he can screw with your memories.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Isn't that just him wanting to stop Kiriko from learning that their father created the Roidmudes? That's what I got out of the arc that revealed his motivations.

Hmm. I never put that together, but maybe? I guess that would make sense.

That last scene of Chase's memories was pretty disturbing. Now comes the hard part of taking on Makage/001. Especially if he can screw with your memories.

That was totally robocop inspired. I thought about it the moment the image formed, but I forgot to write on my last message. I liked it.

WarRock

Damn, that was early.

Drive 30
How did Shinnosuke saw the time when arresting Negishi?

The way I see it, Chase lied because he doesn't know how to properly deal with feelings yet. In his mind, saying that Gou suffered through the enemy ability would make Kiriko worry more than saying that he's doing it by his own decision.

And that confrontation was something straight out of Jojo's.

"Lemme see behind your ear."
"What?"
"Lemme see behind your ear."
"I hate yout."
"Ok, let's fight."

Ninnin 12
Gabi is out already? Whaaaat. At least we got a Omnislash-Over End combo, damn that looked awesome.

Defuser

Ninninger
So Starninger actually build his Rodeomaru with a book by the Last Ninja which is sold in stores? What the hell grandpa. RIP Gabi. And what a twist at the end.

Xerotwo

Full impressions time!

Drive

Continuing my belief that Drive one of the better Kamen Rider series. The plot moves as needed (albeit with inevitable hiccup in the early months), heroes and villains are great. The only thing I feel meh about Drive is the gimmick and design, and those are kind of the bread and butter of modern KR. My favorite design (Mashin Chaser) was substituted with an inferior design, too, so...

I remember one time when my friend was talking about 3 "factors" that are shown for each Kamen Rider (Heisei/NeoHeisei):

1. Action, 2: Suit Design, 3:plot/Characters.

So far, Drive seems to favor more on the Character/plot and maybe on action.

The suit designs vary from Drive, his default and hi-speed is pretty cool. Dead Heat is the obvious Mach/Drive mashup to save production costs instead of making more suits.

Mashin Chaser's probably one of my favorites since it's badass (Rider form is alright, though I wished they kept similar colors instead of "Paladin white")

Usually each series focuses on 2 out of 3 factors, I guess its to bring variety for each year? Like for example, Wizard strongly focuses on the action and the suit designs while the character/plot takes a hit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I guess Fashion Rider isn't going to have one of the hard plastic upper-bodies like most Riders, but rather like a fabric? Sounds neat.

This and the fact his weapon is a long-range bow, makes me wonder if he might have some sort of outlaw theme going on...like one of those ponchos like Clint Eastwood.

Reminds me how Double was apparently supposed to wear a trenchcoat at one point...

the hybrid roidmudes are starting to look the same.

I wonder if them being all red hints to Type Tridoron perhaps being a "Neo-Roidmude" or sorts.

I did like the one this week because it had a cool power, plus the "OPEN!" voice was cute.

javadoze

Ninninger 12

Pretty great... Mid-mid-mid season finale? I'm surprised that they're going through with killing off Gabi Raizo this early on. Makes me curious if they're going to section off certain parts of the story with the introduction and killing-off of villain generals.

I guess Fashion Rider isn't going to have one of the hard plastic upper-bodies like most Riders, but rather like a fabric? Sounds neat.

This and the fact his weapon is a long-range bow, makes me wonder if he might have some sort of outlaw theme going on...like one of those ponchos like Clint Eastwood.
The Americanization of Toku won't stop with Kamen Rider Mach and StarNinger. It shall consume everything.

Watch Da Birdie

Also all signs seem to be pointing to him definitely being in the Drive Summer Movie...I wonder if they might finish Drive up and get Rider back to starting in September?

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 12:

I like the rival idea, but... yeah, this episode makes the rest of the team worthless, as fighters. Fuck that. Even on Shinkenger it wasn't this bad. Kasumi and Yakumo should be at least close to Taka's power level. At least the finisher was nice. King Shurikenjin is also pretty cool!

Things are moving quite fast, which is nice, but this was a so-so episode with some great parts. Also, from big bad's son to giant minion, Gashadokuro? How far have you fallen.

Drive 30:

So now Gou is the new Chase? I think I like Chase better than Gou as a secondary Rider. And while Gou is getting as annoying as Chase before, at least his fights against Chase are more entertaining. Nice to see some of the older Tire Changes, too.

Shit is getting serious, the preview made me wonder if they'll drag the whole 001 identity thing.

Watch Da Birdie

Here's a thought I had...

What if Super Dead Heat is actually Mach and Chase combining, simulating a Neo-Roidmude situation?

Watch Da Birdie

I like that.

Only thing is I wonder if they'd so something that would limit the screentime of Mach and Chaser in a way...

I guess Kabuto did that since his final form ended up limiting the use of the lesser Riders.

shaowebb

So lately I've been trying the other Toku-sentai stuff. Tatsunoko. Diggin' Cashern and Hurricane Polymar. Dear lord is Polymar ever a fan of beating a person repeatedly well after the fight is already one.

Seriously...go to youtube, type Hurricane Polymar EP and click any episode and fast forward to parts that have him in the suit for a fight. In one episode he transformed into a steam roller, ran over a dude, then drove back just to back over him again then changed back out of the steam roller form just to teabag the poor bastard.

Plus soooooo many repeated shots to the back of everyone's head. God of Sucker Punch.

shaowebb

Holy Shit Polymar!
I just watched episode fucking TWO and Hurricane Polymar just decided it was time to take off the kid gloves...

I saw him straight up KILL a room of henchmen and then proceed to start breaking necks and then maiming folks.

Not an exaggeration either...check this shit.

Hurricane Polymar is a fucking psychopath said:
8BYjYzb.jpg

After this the damned comic relief dog freaked out and said "at times like this its best to play dead" because I'm pretty certain he thought if he got too close Polymar would just get swept up in the violence and off him too.

Hurricane Polymar...tatsunoko's Wolverine.
b31Cg4l.jpg

jwk94

Holy Shit Polymar!
I just watched episode fucking TWO and Hurricane Polymar just decided it was time to take off the kid gloves...

I saw him straight up KILL a room of henchmen and then proceed to start breaking necks and then maiming folks.

Not an exaggeration either...check this shit.

After this the damned comic relief dog freaked out and said "at times like this its best to play dead" because I'm pretty certain he thought if he got too close Polymar would just get swept up in the violence and off him too.

Hurricane Polymar...tatsunoko's Wolverine.
b31Cg4l.jpg
Did he just poke some dude's eyes out?

shaowebb

Did he just poke some dude's eyes out?

Yes...and then he kills the dude in his other hand and throws the body on his own pet dog because fuck everything that lives if it gets too close to Polymar when he throws down.
oH9DyhM.gif

The after math was pretty brutal...
4PIgFIh.gif

...at one point Polymar (who can put people through walls, outrun vehicles and punch rigs to death) slides under a guy's legs and just to punch him in the nuts.
md4gME5.gif

And he doesn't just stop after they stop moving either! He goes crazy on dudes after they stop putting up a fight. I made this gif of him for a TvC board based on that.
GOkvUIL.gif

Just look at how he runs over the dude and then stop to back over him again and teabag him in this fight!

LostAnkh

Currently rewatching Drive and I'm enjoying more than I did when it aired.

Anybody watch Drive x Gaim?
My god that episode of The Flash. Imagine if Time Force had that budget. I wish PR was more popular ><
I just started watching Arrow, when should I watch Flash?

shaowebb

Dammit shaowebb don't make me regret not ordering the Polymar figure.

sentinel-fightingeartatsunoko-hero-acf-1130302_jpg_800x0_upscale_q85.jpg

I'd be afraid not to order it...that dude shows up doing a VILLAIN LAUGH when he arrives. If I didn't order I'd feel like the dude was gonna creep up behind me and the last thing I'd hear is him laughing and saying "Ore no HURRICANE...Hurricane POLYMAR!"

At which point id be put face first into a wall and then be punched repeatedly in the back of the head through the wall after death.

jwk94

Currently rewatching Drive and I'm enjoying more than I did when it aired.

Anybody watch Drive x Gaim?

I haven't watched arrow yet. There are a few spoilers for arrow in the flash but idk how big they are. Just watch flash now. You have to.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

First season of Flash aired concurrently during the third season of Arrow. There are a couple of cross overs, and I would watch the third season of Arrow and the first season of Flash concurrently, ie: Flash s01e01 (airs on Tuesdays) and then Arrow s03e01 (airs on Wednesdays). Believe me, it'll help you swallow the third season of Arrow.

(Actually, I watched like 3 episodes of Flash and then Felicity showed up out of the blue on Flash and I was like: why wasn't this character introduced at all, she just shows up and we're supposed to know who she is - that's when I stopped watching Flash and finished the missing Arrow episodes, so I could synchronize both series.

Edit: beaten in less words by WarRock.

Edit2: Got the days wrong

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How come Polymar and Tekkaman have no mediocre/terrible live action movie yet?

Although Yatterman was okay I guess.

Tiu Neo

I liked how Kakuranger was kinda crazy sometimes, but Carranger takes that to the next level. I like how they try to find (normally nonsensical or silly) explanations for some sentai tropes. I wonder how a modern day Carranger would be.

Also, Flashman... reminds me a lot of Jetman. More than, say, Zyuranger or Kakuranger. Don't remember a lot of Changeman or Maskman to compare. Maybe that's why I liked Jetman that much, hahaha.

shaowebb

Wait, Polymar is subbed?

lol what the hell is she thinking

I found someone with it subbed yes. Also Casshan as well. Both are pretty hard to find in english...they ain't perfect though. Friender is being called Flender in the subs of Casshan. Hell most of these went either japanese, italian , or spanish so I'll take what I can get though. Nice thing is the audio is japanese so the voice acting is pretty well done.

For what its worth...old school Casshan is subbed on hulu.

Top Bottom