• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

So this is apparently happening?

51CMWMZPQhL.jpg

Tiu Neo

Ameritoku is booming right now. I would expect Toei to start shamelessly copying it, if it wasn't for the fact that they have been doing it for a good long while now.

You're welcome!

Gekiranger is Top 3 Sentai for me. Such a great, great show.

Thanks Willy! It was so good that made me watch less episodes of Flashman than I planned, and Flashman was my favorite toku when I was a kid. I'll probably watch Timeranger too, when a decent sub shows up.

Thanks for making me go back to an episode of Gekiranger. Immediately recognized the elephant guy as Aigaron's voice

I knew that voice was familiar.

So this is apparently happening?

51CMWMZPQhL.jpg

Saw that just now. Please be real. Please do this to more series, too. Maybe a Flashman 30 years after, next year? ;_;

(And please, be better than Hurricanger 10 Years After.)

And...

Carranger 01: I feel this has a lot of potential. If it keeps being as absurd as it was on the first episode, I'll probably like it a lot.

NeonZ

I finally got to watch the last two episodes of the Kamen Rider 4 mini-series. The 1st one is the weakest by far - both in action and story. The 2nd episode has many neat interactions between the characters from different shows (Takumi + Gou, Yuuto & Deneb + Tomari) and the third and final one is a great Takumi focused drama with a great fighting scene for Drive too.

Like rumored, Takumi really dies in the end, since it turns out that he was supposed to die after Faiz and only didn't due to Shocker messing with history. He destroys the machine, and the true history is restored.

I wonder if this will have any kind of follow up though, since it'd be odd if future crossovers didn't have Faiz, especially after they went out of their way to tie everything here. Of course, they could just ignore all this and have a suit-only Faiz without explanation... but considering how this was advertised to tie up a loose ending from GP that'd be rather odd.

Still, in spite of any future appearances, those final scenes were great.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think I heard of it before... or was it the BR release?

If Doggie won't be in it it'd be a waste!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I like Changeman's theme because it was also carefully crafted as a brazilian song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf4yeNO5FSo

Ok, I understood it when the narrator said "Brazilian Music".

Changeman actually had a Brazillian theme song, like every sentai in the 80's. Except they would only come out in LPs/Tapes and sometimes it would show up on VHS releases*. And because of that, they had the WORST midi synth keyboard notes to them.

I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZb7Dmhbrmo

Edit: *I think Kamen Rider Black and RX actually had, at some point, Brazilian versions of the intro layered with the original footage on TV (and not just on Vinyl/Cassette/VHS). Some Internet show/YouTube channel/group thing actually tracked down the dude that record the Brazilian version of the Kamen Rider Black intro in the 90's (he's a metal singer) and asked him to re-record the same lyrics and extend it with new lyrics, making a new extended version of it. Came out pretty ok.

Tiu Neo

Ok, I understood it when the narrator said "Brazilian Music".

Changeman actually had a Brazillian theme song, like every sentai in the 80's. Except they would only come out in LPs/Tapes and sometimes it would show up on VHS releases*. And because of that, they had the WORST midi synth keyboard notes to them.

I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZb7Dmhbrmo

Edit: *I think Kamen Rider Black and RX actually had, at some point, Brazilian versions of the intro layered with the original footage on TV (and not just on Vinyl/Cassette/VHS). Some Internet show/YouTube channel/group thing actually tracked down the dude that record the Brazilian version of the Kamen Rider Black intro in the 90's (he's a metal singer) and asked him to re-record the same lyrics and extend it with new lyrics, making a new extended version of it. Came out pretty ok.

Yeah, I remember very few shows had lyrics when they aired, but most of them had LPs and K7 tapes with a few songs in portuguese. It was kinda weird. If I remember correctly, Jiraya, Lionmaru/LionMan, Juspion/Jaspion and Spielvan/Jaspion 2 (heh) had the songs in portuguese... but not every episode, iirc. Flashman and Maskman had the initial narration in portuguese, but the theme song was in japanese.

I also vaguely remember some Flashman and Juspion comics I had. I remember the Flashman one was they going back to the Flash Planets, don't remember much the Juspion ones.

EDIT: Actually, I think it was a Juspion comic that had some other toku stories with it. I'll see if I can find it here.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
OrendsRange said:
The rumored collectible items for this series are buttons. To transform, a button is put into the belt and a curtain-like "aura" will wrap around the user. The Rider's primary weapon is a clothes hanger-themed bow and arrow.

Take note, this rumor is coming from ◆FIqyFr3nB, the same guy who reported about Kamen Rider Gaim's fruit slicing gimmick and Kamen Rider Drive's Shift Cars. He is also the same guy who claimed that Gaim's fruit slicing gimmick was something that he made up just to troll the foreign tokusatsu fandom.

mSuF6GI.jpg

vareon

I wish the Metal Hero figuarts continues to Jiban or Winspector, those are huge in my country.

GfrcPci.jpg

Juspion's OP is baller though.

Now is that a good thing or a bad thing? The IGN link was from an IGN blogger, not from IGN themselves. This very well could have been an elaborate ruse.

Not sure either way, haha. Either the blogger thought it wasn't a good idea or didn't want to get attention.

yami4ct

I've got some extra cash, so I think I'm going to grab the Figuarts Tridoron. Someone convince me this isn't a horrible idea. Even though I can afford it, boy is that price high. It looks so good, though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another Saturday of Power Rangers hiatus. You really suck Nickelodeon.

Was Kakuranger already running when the movie came out?.

You mean the first movie right?
Kakuranger ran from February 1994 to February 1995. The first PR movie premiered July 30th 1995.
By the time the movie began production, Kakure Daishogun was already an established Megazord.

WarRock

Buttons? Why not pins?
The power of the dreams, the power that is yet unknown!

Someone hook me up with those Rider 4 episodes please.

I also vaguely remember some Flashman and Juspion comics I had. I remember the Flashman one was they going back to the Flash Planets, don't remember much the Juspion ones.

EDIT: Actually, I think it was a Juspion comic that had some other toku stories with it. I'll see if I can find it here.
At some point last year there were people trying to translate those Juspion comics to english. Not sure if anything ever came out of that.

BatDan

Summer Movie Confirmation!

The Ninninger movie is called
The Dinosaur Lord's Splendid Ninja Scroll
The movie-exclusive Zord will be Dinomaru.

WarRock

Drive 29
Brain is the new Libra, Signal Axe is cool and we finally saw Technique again.

Ninnin 11
youcan'tgroundgetterdragon.jpg

The mechs are awesome, the depressed monster too. Good episode all around... until we get to PARTY TIME, Red's duel and the US/UK alliance. Then it gets way better than "good". Best episode so far, and as fun as Kakuranger to me.

Now picture a Rider show where each form/power up gets depressed after not being used for too long.

jwk94

Shinken 2.0 continues to live up to its name...and name alone. Red or someone will become The Last NInja then get his/her ass kicked by Dokoku 2.0 and realize that title means absolutely nothing.

I need them to team up with the Shinkenger team. Just once is all I ask =(

NeonZ

Shinken 2.0 continues to live up to its name...and name alone. Red or someone will become The Last NInja then get his/her ass kicked by Dokoku 2.0 and realize that title means absolutely nothing.

I need them to team up with the Shinkenger team. Just once is all I ask =(

Toei seemingly can't get Takeru's actor, so I don't think you'll get a Shinkenger team up.

NeonZ

They can just use Kaoru instead.

They've brought her by herself twice, but I really can't see them just featuring her as the leader of the Shinkenger in a team up. If this were Rider they could throw in a suit-only Takeru voiced by some random VA, but Sentai's show runners seem to want to avoid things like that.

vareon

I've got some extra cash, so I think I'm going to grab the Figuarts Tridoron. Someone convince me this isn't a horrible idea. Even though I can afford it, boy is that price high. It looks so good, though.

Buy first. You can always resell later in case of emergency!

Okay. The similarities to Shinkenger is getting kind of....creepy.

NeonZ

What's going on with Takeru?

As I understand it, it seems like he got quite a few roles pretty quickly after Shinkenger so his agency doesn't want him back on toku. This is just second hand information though, I've never seen the original source of this information myself.

Still, it's obvious that they couldn't get him considering Kaoru's two appearances as the Shinkenger representative in Gokaiger and Go-Busters vs Gokaiger.

BatDan

Reading the reactions to the Ninnin movie.. I still need to watch Shinkenger. I tried TVN but it was incomprehensible. So I'm waiting for O-T.

I have to imagine that "I was living off water" article didn't help his relationship with Toei.

wait, what's wrong with takeru's actor? agency being a snob?

Probably a combo of being mad poor working on toku and having enough drama roles to not have to go back.

Tori Matsuzaka is another one of the blow-out success stories, like Sota Fukushi (Fourze) or Yusuke Yamamoto (Sasword). I'm kinda hoping Gaku Sano goes the same route.

Oddly enough, Chase's actor has already been seen in a number of movies and dramas. I assume he took the role as a small boost.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger is a Shinkenger with a worse red and a better pink? Eh, sounds right.

And I still don't wanna believe Takaharu will be the Last Ninja. Even if I know that will happen :(

EDIT:
I have a feeling that might not happen due to how predictable it sounds (that and the narrative hyping up the whole "who's gonna be the last ninja" thing).

That's my hope. Someone unexpected would be better.

And if they ever make a team up episode with Shinken, they could use another actor. Kaori again would be ok, but an episode where Chiaki teaches Nagi how to be a bit more showy, or a Kotoha and Fuuka team-up would be awesome. Full team team-up would be better, but harder.

javadoze

Ninninger is a Shinkenger with a worse red and a better pink? Eh, sounds right.

And I still don't wanna believe Takaharu will be the Last Ninja. Even if I know that will happen :(

I have a feeling that might not happen due to how predictable it sounds (that and the narrative hyping up the whole "who's gonna be the last ninja" thing).

Top Bottom