• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

jwk94

FIRST episode?

Dude, you're not even remotely in "WTF" territory yet.

It's these effects man. The whole psycadelic dimension thing is kinda weird. Do they do that the whole series?

Also, I watched the dub (why is it so hard to find??) and watched a scene or two subbed. Dub is decent but the voices for Madoka, her friend, and the mysterious chick are annoying. It's like they made them higher for no reason. It gives the wrong impression of the mysterious chick and makes the others sound younger than they should. Either way, I'll continue with the dub....I think.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Honestly for all the shit ToQ has... I liked better than Wizard.

thats because wizard was conistently stagnant from phoenix departure to beasts climax, and afterward. thats a huge fucking stretch of nothing going on with characters noone gives a damn about. toQ has tokatti and akira at least

Wait where are people pulling the "Zed becomes 7th"

some summer movie thing apparently

Tiu Neo

ToQger... wasn't that bad. It had a lot of moments where it dragged a bit, and the big revelation came too late, but it isn't bad. It also had some very good moments, when it finally got good.

Not the best, but far from the worst, imo.

Slayven

hmmm, watched all of Wizard and dropped ToQ 10 eps in.

I will say this, slogging through Wizard is worth it to see Beast be baller as fuck in the ending.

ToQ should have been 10 eps. It really proves to me that Toei has A teams and B Teams. ToQer is by the B team

I will say this, slogging through Wizard is worth it to see Beast be baller as fuck in the ending.

ToQ should have been 10 eps. It really proves to me that Toei has A teams and B Teams. ToQer is by the B team

It's more like Kobayashi (the writer) just really lost her touch. She's not good at keeping momentum for these shows.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Wizard kicked a guy into the sun, okay.

And his main suit was awesome, also liked Infinity.

GVI0bO9.jpg

Corgi

Banned
pretty much just watched wizard for the suit designs. It wasn't offensively bad or anything. Just boring. Had it on a second monitor while doing other stuff.

Still loved how ridiculously OP Infinity form was.

Has super armor. clock up. Magic CG Axe.

Can't think of the last final form rider that easily sweeped every MoTW until the finale.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Fueki knew Infinity was too good, his plan to beat Haruto was to make him stop using it lol. Then Haruto's dumb ass gave up the ring. And Fueki being scared of Infinity didn't even make sense since when he first faced him as a Phantom he stopped Infinity in its tracks.

God what a stupid show.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh honestly Wizard suit didn't get me. Felt like crumpled felt paper wrapped around him. I like Beast's suit more.

It's more like Kobayashi (the writer) just really lost her touch. She's not good at keeping momentum for these shows.

which is strange since GB was fine with little filler.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'll agree that ToQger is better than Wizard. It had likeable villains and a couple likeable Rangers. Wizard barely had likeable characters and constant idiot plots.

Defuser

Batdan more or less summed up my feelings of ToQger.

That's quite a asspull for a final ToQger episode...didn't they establish ToQgers can't make a transfer to No.6? I guess imagination is another name for deus ex. And that final attack is a similar execution to Gokaiger but I like how Right went surprise motherfucker with the turntable cannon.

For a show that is about imagination ToQgers got the blandest suits while the enemies have detailed intricate victorian designs and I still think line switch is a useless gimmick that wasn't executed well.

Tokatti is a more of a main protagainist than Right because he has the most development and episodes related to him. More or less him and Akira carried the whole show, Hikari could have been too but he wasn't utilised properly.

Tokatti/Akira(Best) > Hikari/Mio(Okay but should've stand out more) > Right(Glutton slob) > Kagura(Useless)

Zed is a terrible villain and cardboard thin, there's no explantion on why he is so fixated on shining stuff and so disinterested in darkness. All he does is get hemorrhoids from sitting down most of the time, same can be said for Nero and Mork. Schwartz and Noire were better characters because they actually did something that was beyond the usual villain schticks.

Oh and the ToQger theme is damn good, even the show acknowledges it considering how many times they play that song during the fights, live performance and in the final battle.

Overall ToQger is average, started out great but it got dragged out and got bland all the way to the end. Let hope Ninninger would be a better show.

Boss Doggie

As long as Aka Ninger (oh god that's one letter away from that word) isn't like King or Right I'll be fine. I hope he's more like Bouken Red though.

WarRock

FIRST episode?

Dude, you're not even remotely in "WTF" territory yet.
Guess I'll ask you because your avatar: can I just jump in Marvel Now Moon Knight or should I read something else beforehand?

Wizard kicked a guy into the sun, okay.

And his main suit was awesome, also liked Infinity.
One of the best final forms since... forever. Even if it looked bad I would praise it for not being a clusterfuck of gadgets/weapons.

ToQGer had the mammoth task of following Kyoryuger and not be a trainwreck and in that it succeeded. There were parts that could've been handled a bit better but overall a good season.
Was that intentional? :V

AGITΩ

So I left ToQger pretty early on, only other Sentai I did the same thing to was GoOnger after hating the Go-On Wings constant kids in the playground who when you play pretend, they have all the powers and can do everything. But enough on that mini rant, ToQger worth trying to return to or best forgotten?

Defuser

Ol' pervert Sentai back then. I remember Zyuranger first episode having a space shuttle flipping girls skirts revealing panties or Dairanger's Kou using his powers to flip skirts and molest Rin or Kakuranger's Sandayuu accidently grabbbing Tsuruhime's breast although it wasn't intended on filming.

This wouldn't fly on modern kids tv now....

Ol' pervert Sentai back then. I remember Zyuranger first episode having a space shuttle flipping girls skirts revealing panties or Dairanger's Kou using his powers to flip skirts and molest Rin or Kakuranger's Sandayuu accidently grabbbing Tsuruhime's breast although it wasn't intended on filming.

This wouldn't fly on modern kids tv now....

You also forgot this gem:
e4OWy3h.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Saw this pointed out, but on Drive this week, when Gou's doing his video for the dude, at the end a train flies by in the background with sparkling lights following it.

Wonder if that's a purposeful reference to ToQ ending, but then again seems unlikely since this episode wouldn't have aired at the time had the Hostage Situation not occurred.

LostAnkh

Saw this pointed out, but on Drive this week, when Gou's doing his video for the dude, at the end a train flies by in the background with sparkling lights following it.

Wonder if that's a purposeful reference to ToQ ending, but then again seems unlikely since this episode wouldn't have aired at the time had the Hostage Situation not occurred.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

I thought it had to do with the shift car that showed up at the end of that scene.

jwk94

"Girls can't love girls!"

This girl freaking out is too funny. Does anyone know where I can watch Madoka Magica dubbed online? I think this YouTube copy might be messed up. The girl's voices sound like they ingested helium.

javadoze

Wizard was disappointing because it had good suit designs for the heroes and villains, had an interesting gimmick for the victims of the week, some great fighting scenes sprinkled throughout, and had some very decent episodes (when it was written by Junko Komura rather than the main writer, Tsuyoshi Kida). The biggest indicator of what the show could've been would be the Wizard section in Movie Wars Ultimatum.

While Wizard was a massive disappointment, ToQger feels like it's not trying at all...

In that sense, we know what Wizard had the potential to be whereas ToQger bathes in blandness.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Guess I'll ask you because your avatar: can I just jump in Marvel Now Moon Knight or should I read something else beforehand?

Hmm...I think you'll be fine. There's a few references here and there to his previous books, but they're pretty well explained and you won't be missing much either way. I say go for it (although I do recommend reading the 2006 series just because it's super good).

WillyFive

The suit actors had a lot of great times filming the ToQger fight scenes, and the score for the show was really great.

But outside of that, ToQger was a misfire in so many levels. One thing I think might have helped a lot would have been having the actors being children themselves instead of having grown men and women play the parts as if they were children.

The single greatest scene in the entire show was when the children Rangers chase after the leaving train after realizing that their friend left them behind, they cried just as children of that age would do and it's when it clicked just exactly who these characters are and puts their motivations, wants, and desires into perspective. The show's weekly grind of filler episodes would have worked significantly better when the motivations and actions of the characters would have been clearer and it didn't seem like watching grown idiots fool around on a train.

Unlike other people, I think the villain story was really lame and ended by hitting a wall. There was nothing to Z, and the rest of the villains ultimately had nothing to them outside of their designs. Even the promising General Swartz x Gritta love subplot ended up as nothing.

Boss Doggie

Also ToQ has Wagon. Wizard has none of that.

And less terrible CGI.

Gritta's stupid face is awful. When people praise the Shadow Line's designs they should say it's with an exception to Gritta.

It was to make for an obvious "that good character in the evil team" I guess.

ReiGun

ToQger, from what I watched, was just so devoid of personality. Someone called it safe, and I have to agree. Safe isn't necessarily bad - I'd rather you do tried and true and do it well than do something new and fall on your ass. But when it all just feels like you're going through the motions and the characters don't have the charisma and or writing to carry it through, there's just no reason to stick with it.

I still dig their roll call pose. That shit is stylish as fuck.

Pink going to give up the zord she earned too?

I think I had to block that shit from my memory because it just makes me angry.

Like, Mako earned that zord. Why should she give it up because Chiaki's bum ass was in his feelings? Fuck outta here.

jwk94

TOKUGAF, help. I just finiished ep 7 of Maoka. This show man. It's like Gaim but without the misleading buildup.

How do the movies work with this show? Are they cannon? Take place after the show?

ReiGun

I hope we get another crossover episode this year. The ToQ/Gaim ep was fun and I'd like to see Shinnosuke interact with a sentai. I especially want to see Gou try to butt in to their roll call.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
TOKUGAF, help. I just finiished ep 7 of Maoka. This show man. It's like Gaim but without the misleading buildup.

How do the movies work with this show? Are they cannon? Take place after the show?

The first two are recap movies. Literally no need to watch them unless you want to see some nicer animation than was used in the show. The third movie is canon, and a sequel to the series.

Top Bottom