• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Amazon just sent my Zyuranger DVD. I should hopefully get it sometime this week.

jwk94

PRInstagramScrewUp-338x600.jpg

Guys! They deleted the image but could it really be happening?

vareon

Surely they'll use fotages from Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters movie for the 3 dinosaur themed battle, which will lead to Power Rangers: Special Ops next season.

man I wish

BatDan

Dino Thunder (and the rest of the Disney seasons) got screwed from Super Megaforce. The least they could do is appear in Dino Charge.
I know Lynn reads Rangerboard so I would hope he's aware of the fandom's feelings towards Tommy lately (the overexposure) and will exclude JDF from appearing. Good thing Burai and Asuka are absent from the movie (unfortunately no Mikoto means no Trent)

BatDan

MegaAnon, the translator of GUIS' Zyuranger subs, has greatly approved of the official release.
A pretty good seal of approval.

Dino Thunder (and the rest of the Disney seasons) got screwed from Super Megaforce.

The weirdest thing about that is that, SPD aside, there's probably at least one main cast member from each Disney season still active here in Australia or New Zealand so they're both accessible and relatively inexpensive but they were just completely overlooked by the entire process because they weren't Saban rangers.

Like, some of them were probably busy or at a point in their career where they consider themselves "above" Power Rangers now (Red and Blue from Mystic Force for example have pretty big roles in popular shows here in Australia, and Ninja Storm Yellow joined another recently) but between the lot of them you could put together a pretty decent assortment if you actually cared about the anniversary/celebration aspect of the season.

BatDan

The weirdest thing about that is that, SPD aside, there's probably at least one main cast member from each Disney season still active here in Australia or New Zealand so they're both accessible and relatively inexpensive but they were just completely overlooked by the entire process because they weren't Saban rangers.

Like, some of them were probably busy or at a point in their career where they consider themselves "above" Power Rangers now (Red and Blue from Mystic Force for example have pretty big roles in popular shows here in Australia, and Ninja Storm Yellow joined another recently) but between the lot of them you could put together a pretty decent assortment if you actually cared about the anniversary/celebration aspect of the season.

The weirdest was Nic Sampson (Mystic Force Yellow). He actually voiced a Monster of the Week, so he was clearly available. He could have done a cameo. But nooo, Tzachor can't have his precious vision tainted by the "evil" Disney seasons.

jwk94

Surely they'll use fotages from Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters movie for the 3 dinosaur themed battle, which will lead to Power Rangers: Special Ops next season.

man I wish
Don't toy with my emotions like that =(.

Dino Thunder (and the rest of the Disney seasons) got screwed from Super Megaforce. The least they could do is appear in Dino Charge.
I know Lynn reads Rangerboard so I would hope he's aware of the fandom's feelings towards Tommy lately (the overexposure) and will exclude JDF from appearing. Good thing Burai and Asuka are absent from the movie (unfortunately no Mikoto means no Trent)
Exclude the most popular ranger and arguably the face of the Power Rangers from the team up? You know how easy it would be to market the fact that he's back and fighting AND with the other MMPR rangers?

The weirdest was Nic Sampson (Mystic Force Yellow). He actually voiced a Monster of the Week, so he was clearly available. He could have done a cameo. But nooo, Tzachor can't have his precious vision tainted by the "evil" Disney seasons.

SEcond weirdest goes to the SPD who ALL WOULD HAVE COME BACK. Hell, they could have even gotten Sam back as a "warn the rangers again" thing, but nope!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Exclude the most popular ranger and arguably the face of the Power Rangers from the team up? You know how easy it would be to market the fact that he's back and fighting AND with the other MMPR rangers?

You know how easy it would be to not film any extra suit footage and leave it as is?

WarRock

Guys! They deleted the image but could it really be happening?
Dino Charge doing what Super Megaforce should've? Hmmm.

MegaAnon, the translator of GUIS' Zyuranger subs, has greatly approved of the official release.
MegaAnon is such a great guy. I remember when he throw a stream of old toku and some obscure anime to celebrate the release of Rider Generation 2.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

man I wish

you know, if they were to use the beast go buster costumes instead of the standard, id be all for it. theyd also have access to gobus green and black.

BatDan

Wait, the anti-Disney sentiment was real?

None of the Disney actors got letters about the Legend War.
The only reason Jason Smith reprised Casey is due to his job on the writing staff. Even then he wasn't invited onto the set for the War.
It's just another garbage bag in the dump that was Megaforce.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Black is a homage to Sun Vulcan, it clashes with the other suits.

None of the Disney actors got letters about the Legend War.
The only reason Jason Smith reprised Casey is due to his job on the writing staff. Even then he wasn't invited onto the set for the War.
It's just another garbage bag in the dump that was Megaforce.

Yeesh

jwk94

You know how easy it would be to not film any extra suit footage and leave it as is?
True true. Idk, With the way Dino Charge has gone so far (i know, only two episodes) I wouldn't put it past them to do something.

JDF must be fuming.

I would be too. None of those rangers got to fight in what was supposed to be a grand event and then this pops up a year later? He'd have every right to be mad.

Vargas

I don't see them coming back, David Yost has said he won't coming back, Walter Jones won't do it since it isn't a SAG production. Austin did speak to Judd Lynn at PMC but he has a movie to film soon likely around when this would be filmed. Karan pretty much shit on Saban during the the Mega War fiasco and Amy Jo said she would come back if asked but that was for the movie, not the show. I also doubt it is going to happen because the only source of this image is the one person that originally posted it, we didn't get multiple reports just one guy whose cousin saw it and sent it to him, and even his story is shady since he said that he saw it on twitter and then on his instagram says that he didn't see it. Why would the official account update at 5 AM EST?

ReiGun

I just don't understand how Saban flubbed it so bad. I get the why - the main target audience is like 5 and doesn't give a shit - but that didn't stop Toei from at least trying. I mean, they over there getting old ass dudes from the 70's to come back and reprise their roles and Saban can barely be arsed to get someone on their fucking writing staff to take part in the show. Goodness.

Vargas

Saban is cheap as fuck, the letter that they sent was also unprofessional, I think some of the actors said it opened with "Dear Power Ranger"

Pluto

Exclude the most popular ranger and arguably the face of the Power Rangers from the team up?
Yes! Tommy is not the be-all and end-all of Power Rangers, he is not needed for every team up ever. Leave him out of it, he just returned.

Saban is cheap as fuck, the letter that they sent was also unprofessional, I think some of the actors said it opened with "Dear Power Ranger"
I wouldn't blame Saban (the man or the company), it's all Tzachors fault, he was in charge of producing the show. Saban flew the returning actors first class to New Zealand, Tzachor decided to only use them for glorified (or not so glorified in poor Mike and Emily's case ... where they even there?). I'm sure Saban was fuming when he saw what Tzachor had done and it's one of the reason's he's gone. what we saw of the old rangers could have been greenscreened in LA.

While Mega's seal of approval IS great since he loves Zyuranger, he isn't the translator. He was the QC/editor for the project. KouAidou was the translator.

Yes! Tommy is not the be-all and end-all of Power Rangers, he is not needed for every team up ever. Leave him out of it, he just returned.

Yep.

People, I'm looking back and I'm reminded of how much I loved Fourze. It was just so different from normal Riders. It was just such a good cast with a great overall vibe for the show.

latest

It's like the anti-Wizard. I hated Fourze's designs so much, but the cast was great.

javadoze

Yep.

People, I'm looking back and I'm reminded of how much I loved Fourze. It was just so different from normal Riders. It was just such a good cast with a great overall vibe for the show.

latest

It's like the anti-Wizard. I hated Fourze's designs so much, but the cast was great.

The show had some pacing issues in the middle, sure, but the show had so much charm it's hard to hate it.

Also reminds me how awesome Movie Wars Megamax was.
Come back, black helmet for Nigo!

WillyFive

Fourze was fantastic. I was new to Toku at the time, so Fourze's designs looked just like all the other Toku heroes to me at the time (and looking back, that is probably my favorite Rider design), but the story, characters, action, you name it, it was top-notch in Fourze. Top shelf Rider.

WarRock

I watched OOO when Fourze was in its first ~3 episodes and the started with the space bugman weekly.

It was an amazing start.

BatDan

Fourze is fucking good. I really miss the team... I know they can't do it forever but still...

And if a team-up does happen on PR, no JDF period. Again, he is NOT the "be-all end-all" Ranger.
Shit like this doesn't help.

jwk94

Fourze is fucking good. I really miss the team... I know they can't do it forever but still...

And if a team-up does happen on PR, no JDF period. Again, he is NOT the "be-all end-all" Ranger.
Shit like this doesn't help.

I still don't get what people expected them to advertise in that commercial. If there was one thing they needed to do, it's point out the fact that he's back. It was smart. Should they have also showed the other rangers? Yah, they should have, but getting JDF in there should and was priority #1.

To the large amount of people watching Nick, Post-MMPR Power Rangers doesn't exist. Everyone else (fans of the show) already knew about the Legendary battle and when it was airing. They were the last people who needed an ad to tell them this. This ad focused on the demographic who weren't aware and it hooked them with the one thing that would: someone from MMPR. If they had gotten more MMPR rangers back, they would have highlighted them as well.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I still don't get what people expected them to advertise in that commercial. If there was one thing they needed to do, it's point out the fact that he's back. It was smart. Should they have also showed the other rangers? Yah, they should have, but getting JDF in there should and was priority #1.

To the large amount of people watching Nick, Post-MMPR Power Rangers doesn't exist. Everyone else (fans of the show) already knew about the Legendary battle and when it was airing. They were the last people who needed an ad to tell them this. This ad focused on the demographic who weren't aware and it hooked them with the one thing that would: someone from MMPR. If they had gotten more MMPR rangers back, they would have highlighted them as well.

Im not sure on that. Saban loves pushing tommy like hes ranger jesus.

jwk94

Im not sure on that. Saban loves pushing tommy like hes ranger jesus.
He kinda is. Did you see how he just appeared out of nowhere to help that kid?

Actually, TJ was more like ranger jesus in that episode with how calming he was. Everyone should have gotten more screentime =(

Pluto

To the large amount of people watching Nick, Post-MMPR Power Rangers doesn't exist.
Actually, for most people watching Nick pre-Samurai PR doesn't exist, so the marketing should have focused more on Mike and Emily, as much as I dislike Samurai, it was quite popular with the kids.

I doubt many adults who haven't watched PR since the Tommy days would have tuned in just because they showed him in a promo. I'd expect a reaction like "That's still on?" not "OMG, I have to watch that!", I doubt many people watched just for Tommy, the ratings certainly didn't show a significantly higher interest in the finale.

BatDan

Man, I didn't watch a single ToQ episode, but this illustration always makes me smile.

I kind of feel the show might have been better if they were always kids, and not kids in adult bodies.
Something like Beetleborgs.

WillyFive

I kind of feel the show might have been better if they were always kids, and not kids in adult bodies.
Something like Beetleborgs.

Yeah, everything makes more sense if they were always kids, it would seem like a lively imaginative kids adventure as opposed to deus ex machina nonsense with grown men and women acting like creeps.

WillyFive

Clip from Dino Charge Episode 3

Was Keeper always that tall? Or did the Rangers shrink? Huh...

That does seem pretty cool story-wise, but
while I appreciate the drive to be original, those original suits destroy most of the entertainment of the scene. Albeit Sledge's suit looks better in sunlight, that Keeper suit is atrocious with those horrific eyes. Hopefully they are using Torin's suit for something more special later in the show, but if they aren't, then they really should have used that suit for The Keeper instead. Would have been cheaper and looked better.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
yeah toku child actors tend to be bad

which is I guess a plus for US toku - decent enough child actors

Top Bottom