• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Cool, I'm off Saturday so I can catch the live premiere of Ghost---did that with Gaim and Drive and it was really fun. I never seem to get off on Saturday at that time though except when shows premiere, oddly enough...

Unless I'm in prison that day...

Cool, I'm off Saturday so I can catch the live premiere of Ghost---did that with Gaim and Drive and it was really fun. I never seem to get off on Saturday at that time though except when shows premiere, oddly enough...

Unless I'm in prison that day...

ouja1.JPG

Take this with you if you are going to prison, you'll be fine

shaowebb

Welp, went back in on Kuuga and I'm at episode 22 now. More mysteries surrounding the Grongi and what they are doing is finally coming to light and artifacts relating to Kuuga and his powers are being studied. Really feels good coming back to this one. Kuuga has a much more cinema drama sort of feel than any other Rider series I've watched. The way he has to discover over the course of the whole series just what his powers are, how they work, and what the Grongi are and their goals are is pretty well done. Never feels stale or drawn out...just sorta well paced.

<3 Still one of my favorite Riders. Glad I'm back to this show again. Everytime I was watching it was during college stuff, or moving, or training at a new career and then I ended up behind on both Drive and Gaim so it just kept losing ground. So happy I finally got the time to catch up between my weekly stuff and game work.

rej9cYC.jpg

vareon

The Lord is real.

Been waiting for this figure forever.

I don't like Ratorata's "empty" shoulder and I guess SIC can't fix it since there's nothing to begin with.

Still, OOO SIC line is impressive. They managed to produce all OOO combos (including TaMaShii), the side riders (Birth and Proto BirtH), two "concepts" (Birthday and Tajadol Lost Blaze), and two Greeeds. And we saw Aqua and Poseidon as Hero Saga.

shaowebb

Watched Ep 22 while waiting for lunch to finish simmering. Saw this moment and thought I'd screenshot it for you guys to have fun adding a caption to. :)

REbGm1S.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Drive 48

No spoilers or anything, but...yeah, nothing happens in this that "ruins" the ending we got last episode. It's all total epilogue + a more substantial Ghost cameo than the one we had last episode, and all the Rider stuff we see in the previews happens in flashbacks. So yeah, if anyone was worried that this episode would mess up the ending, don't, it's fine.

Slayven

Drive 48

No spoilers or anything, but...yeah, nothing happens in this that "ruins" the ending we got last episode. It's all total epilogue + a more substantial Ghost cameo than the one we had last episode, and all the Rider stuff we see in the previews happens in flashbacks. So yeah, if anyone was worried that this episode would mess up the ending, don't, it's fine.
Yeah it was a total maintance ep, just to take care one plot thread
Shinosuke making peace with just being a cop and having a partner instead of being a rider

Nothing earth shattering, but fuck tons better than that Wizard mess.
EYE
lmao

On that note...

AxN3lNw.jpg

I woke up just for the new kamen rider gumi commercial.

I guess that kid finally got too old :(

I love those commercials.

shaowebb

Can't wait for Kamen Rider Ghost. His gimmick looks solid for conflict and it should be a great ride finding out how he deals with the 99 days till he's gone thing.
Also I found an image on twitter claiming if he doesn't use an eyecon at all he has a blank form. I posted but since I don't know the source I took it down because it might be a scan... go look!

Faiz

Can't wait for Kamen Rider Ghost. His gimmick looks solid for conflict and it should be a great ride finding out how he deals with the 99 days till he's gone thing.
Also I found an image on twitter claiming if he doesn't use an eyecon at all he has a blank form. I posted but since I don't know the source I took it down because it might be a scan... go look!

I'm a little worried the ghost mascot guy will remind me too much of Mandora Boy from Magiranger. Otherwise looks great.

katagai

I haven't really been following toku for the past year or so, did ToQ turn out to be any good? Currently binge-watching Garo and curious if I should bother with ToQ and Ninninger. For whatever reason, I have a serious problem with finishing sentai shows, and usually stop watching after episode 40+.

javadoze

The new Ganma designs shown off look great (in a strange, uncanny-valley sort of way).

Though, the amount of forms and eyecons is a little worrying, I'm guessing that the writers will somehow excuse their inclusion by having Takeru
gain and lose eyecons throughout the show (kinda like OOO). It's already been established that Specter is looking to steal them from Takeru, so there's that.

I haven't really been following toku for the past year or so, did ToQ turn out to be any good? Currently binge-watching Garo and curious if I should bother with ToQ and Ninninger. For whatever reason, I have a serious problem with finishing sentai shows, and usually stop watching after episode 40+.

Nope. (Though in the case that you do want to see it, there's probably only like 10 or so must-watch episodes.)

WillyFive

ToQger had a really good premise, but didn't really deliver on it, I think.

Biggest problem was the casting; the characters were all kids, but they casted grown people into the roles (probably as to not alienate the rather influential women audience); making a lot of the plot lines seem rather ridiculous. However, if they had gone the Beetleborgs route and casted actual kids, it would have worked rather well (one of the most emotional and best moments of the entire show involved the Rangers as kids).

Not only that, the core storyline (albeit a really good one), does not work when stretched to fit 50 episodes.

Other than that, fight scenes were a big downgrade from Kyoryuger; the music was really great; and it did have a few fun parts in there.

ReiGun

I don't think ToQger needed to cast children so much as acknowledge that they were originally kids upfront as opposed to it being a mystery. It's an extra bit of context that would have made the early plot lines and characterization gel better. Kagura's character, for example, works so much better when you know she's a scared little girl as opposed to thinking she's this grown women who's impossibly immature.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Have you ever seen Big? The kid in a grown ups body premise is fine so long as the characters don't suck.

And everyone sucked in Toqger

javadoze

ToQger had a really good premise, but didn't really deliver on it, I think.

Biggest problem was the casting; the characters were all kids, but they casted grown people into the roles (probably as to not alienate the rather influential women audience); making a lot of the plot lines seem rather ridiculous. However, if they had gone the Beetleborgs route and casted actual kids, it would have worked rather well (one of the most emotional and best moments of the entire show involved the Rangers as kids).

Not only that, the core storyline (albeit a really good one), does not work when stretched to fit 50 episodes.

Other than that, fight scenes were a big downgrade from Kyoryuger; the music was really great; and it did have a few fun parts in there.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. There was a very solid concept behind ToQger (and, on important plot episodes, it really shines), but most of the episodes were pretty lazy, generic, and by-the-numbers Sentai filler.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The ToQgers have one more chance to do something worthwhile.
Then again, I like more than one Ninninger. The only ToQger I care about is Akira.

NeonZ

The ToQgers have one more chance to do something worthwhile.
Then again, I like more than one Ninninger. The only ToQger I care about is Akira.

The way Versus movies ever since Go-Busters vs Gokaiger are, I wouldn't expect anything great out of the Toqgers in the crossover. It seems like the past team is always there just to fight while all character moments go to the current team.

javadoze

So we're getting yet another crossover (next month?) with the Ninningers teaming up with
Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya

I wouldn't be surprised if the winter VS movie at this point is "Ninninger VS Every Damn Ninja on Planet Earth (guest-starring the ToQgers)".

So we're getting yet another crossover (next month?) with the Ninningers teaming up with
Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya

I wouldn't be surprised if the winter VS movie at this point is "Ninninger VS Every Damn Ninja on Planet Earth (guest-starring the ToQgers)".

They're really doing that?

Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya

I was wondering if they were going to do that. Is Takumi Tsutsui reprising his role?

yami4ct

the best part of ToQGer was the roll call/henshin

I loved the changer and all the trains up through 6. Rainbow is such a trash design, though. Really disappointed me, given how much I dug the Cho Cho ToqDaiOh. Enemy designs were cool too.

Everything else was trash. It wasn't even bad. It was just boring, the worst possible fate for a sentai.

shaowebb

sigh...I'm really wanting to get into Sentai but I just struggle everytime. I have a request tokugaf.

Please post the best fight scenes from any and all sentai you can think of. Gifs, video links, whatever...I struggle with this compared to tokusatsu stuff like Kamen Rider, but I need something to get me over the hump. Try and hit me with any cool actiony sequences you can. Help get me motivated on this while I have the time to take it on.

ReiGun

Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya

Yeah I'm still calling the VS movie being like Kyoryu vs Go-Bust: a big tribute to all the ninja teams.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another ninja crossover?
That's kind of cool.

Yeah, it's possible that the ToQgers will be supporting characters in the team-up movie. Especially if they continue the "All Ninja Rangers" theme.

Top Bottom