• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ninninger's pretty good at the little silly moments.

Loved Fuuka kicking the Rhino dude in the shin last episode---funny because right before she did I was like "why aren't they fighting this dude?"

Tiu Neo

Boukenger finished.

Eh... I'm kinda divided on this one. I like some characters and backstories, but I feel that, with the exception of Eiji, most of them were underutilized.

Souta, Eiji and Masumi were good at times, and Akashi was ok, even if his MO most of the times was "go alone and hope the others help me". Natsuki and Sakura were mostly annoying. Well, to be fair, Natsuki was ok at some times, and Sakura was cool on that one episode that she did something that wasn't "be an Akashi fangirl". Masumi's arc near the end was kinda dumb, too. It's like he was reminded that Chief was his rival at that episode.

That said, the final two episodes were pretty good, and closed everything nicely. I like what they did with Masumi, hinting on ep. 48 what would happen at the end.

The villains... Questers were good at the beginning, but got a bit repetitive near their end. Ryuuon was boring. Dark Shadow was ok, and Shizuka was funny. Gaja was awesome. The way they made
the comic relief/silly villain become the big bad at the end was pretty cool. Linked the first and the last episode nicely, too.

The biggest problem I have with this series is that, at some times, it was pretty boring. Not at Zyuranger levels, but it had a lot of boring episodes, with a few great moments in the middle.

Not bad, but I'd rank it pretty low, compared to other series I watched.

javadoze

I've now started to make a questionable life decision to start watching Kamen Rider Faiz.

Some thoughts:

Faiz 1

-This entire episode kinda felt like an attempt to create an air of mystery around "who is Faiz?" but was clumsy and disjointed as a result.

-That kick at the end of the first fight definitely would've been a comedic moment if done today in a rider show.

Faiz 2

-A much better intro episode that explains the premise somewhat. Takumi and Mari's dynamic here was funny to watch.

-I rather enjoyed HorseDude's side story and the fact that
his girlfriend turned on him to save herself.

-The whole switcharoo with the bags are the writing gods saying to Takumi "Yep, you're a rider now. You can't duck out of this". This is probably my favorite part of the episode seeing how he actively refuses to become a rider (not to mention we haven't had someone become a rider against their will in awhile in terms of recent shows).

Watch Da Birdie

Faiz is good though at the beginning.

It's near the end it loses its shit when Doug Heffernan is put in charge of handing out upgrades.

Watch Da Birdie

Huh, the Ghost Tumblr has more Eyecons that weren't in the leak the other day...SPOILERS!

*Shakespeare: “Surely! Romeo and Juliet!” (きっと!ロミオとジュリエット! Kitto! Romio to Jurietto!) (we knew this one, but no call-out posted last time)
*Shinsengumi: “Kondō! Hijikata! Okita! Shoulder hug with you and me! Shinsengumi!” (コンドウ!ヒジカタ!オキタ!君と 肩組み!新選組! Kondō! Hijikata! Okita! Kimi to kata kumi! Shinsengumi!)
*Unification: “Nobunaga! Hideyoshi! Ieyasu! When will it be achieved! Unification!” (ノブナガ!ヒデヨシ!イエヤス!果たすのはいつ!天下統一! Nobunaga! Hideyoshi! Ieyasu! Hatasu no wa itsu! Tenka tōitsu!)
*Kamen Rider: “Partner is a bike! Finisher is a kick!” (相棒はバイク!必殺はキック! Aibō wa baiku! Hissatsu wa kikku!)
*Showa Rider: “Gonna protect the peace! We are Showa!” (守るぞ平和!俺ら昭和! Mamoru zo heiwa! Orera Shōwa!)
*Heisei Rider: “A new personality! This is Heisei!” (新たな個性!これが平成! Aratana kosei! Kore ga Heisei!)
*Dark Rider: “The power of darkness! Bad guys!” (闇の力!悪い奴ら! Yami no chikara! Warui yatsura!)
*Den-O: “The train has arrived! Switching emotions!” (電車で参上!入れ替わる感情! Densha de sanjō! Irekawaru kanjō!)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It also introduces the Narutaki Puppet, the "Giant Mecha in the Window" gag they carried over to Drive x Ninninger, and the debut of
Raise Up Your Flag

I hate how Magenta bashed ToQxGaim as being dumb while praising the Kikaider Episode, when the opposite is true..

What happened to Magenta? I heard he went coo-coo crazy.

yami4ct

Kamen Rider Drive 46-47

Amazing finale. Payed off everything I think the series needed to. What a fantastic show. Fun heroes, great villains (who are still sympathetic) and some really fun action. It's pretty safe to say this has topped W as my favorite Rider. Yes, the beginning is significantly weaker than the later episodes, but I still got quite a bit of entertainment out of quite a few of those arcs and I think Chase really carriers those stories. I also really dig how much this show lets its supporting cast do without necessarily resorting to 'they're riders now'. Man, Ghost has a tough act to follow. I don't envy that team one bit.

On another note, it looks like coda crossover episodes are here to stay. I can't say I like that very much. I think it really undercuts the true finales of these shows. It's fine for something that's garbage to begin with like Wizard, but for Gaim and Drive it's kind of a big downer. I wish they would just have a small crossover like they did with episode 47 and call it a day.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, Drive really does seem to have stuck the landing. Which is nice to see.

The only major "plot hole" I can think of is that I don't think they never explained what the hell the "Dead Zone" was. I thought that was going to be a bigger thing, but it was pretty much forgotten as soon as it was brought up.

yami4ct

The only major "plot hole" I can think of is that I don't think they never explained what the hell the "Dead Zone" was. I thought that was going to be a bigger thing, but it was pretty much forgotten as soon as it was brought up.

I have a few questions, but most of them are pretty minor. Stuff like,
I thought Krim and Shinosuke fused when they saved him with Type Tridoron. That never seemed to come up again. How exactly did that save him, then?

Also,
So Chase was a roidmude the whole time? Even as Proto-Drive. What was all the hinting about him being a converted human about? That scene of him sitting on the table while the other roidmudes did stuff to him was just them converting his memories to fight for them?

Watch Da Birdie

The Ghost crossover was pretty cute because it was a "near-death experience". Plus the Roidmudes were all major ones for Shinnosuke---Sword, Freeze, and Nira. Realizing that I liked it a bit more.

Also, the Lupin Blade + Shift Car apparently could be seen during the sealing scene at the end.

Dead Heat for Drive was pointless...we never saw it again, did we? Atleast for Mach it gave him some sort of upgrade...

And now the Police Drive Suit seems to have just been used for a admittedly great, but one-scene joke.

Unless the cop at the end of 47 uses it in the future...

NeonZ

On another note, it looks like coda crossover episodes are here to stay. I can't say I like that very much. I think it really undercuts the true finales of these shows. It's fine for something that's garbage to begin with like Wizard, but for Gaim and Drive it's kind of a big downer. I wish they would just have a small crossover like they did with episode 47 and call it a day.

Gaim didn't have a crossover finale though. It was just a mediocre epilogue written by a secondary writer, but it had nothing related to Drive. Gaim's actual crossover epilogue in Full Throttle was actually pretty good anyway.

There's Chase's survival back during Formula's debut. Something silver that could float like a core blew up when he was defeated there, and Shinnosuke said that it was his core. Yet he reappeared alive, and the common fan theory (that it was his viral cores) also turned out to be wrong. There's also Chase's memory back up in the Proto-Drive Shift Car. A Roidmude had been resurrected by a back up before, and yet they didn't even mention it in the finale.

yami4ct

Gaim didn't have a crossover finale though. It was just a mediocre epilogue written by a secondary writer, but it had nothing related to Drive. Gaim's actual crossover epilogue in Full Throttle was actually pretty good anyway.

Yeah, you are right. It's similar, but it wasn't a crossover. I really dislike these codas in general and wish they'd kill them.

WarRock

I have a few questions, but most of them are pretty minor. Stuff like,
I thought Krim and Shinosuke fused when they saved him with Type Tridoron. That never seemed to come up again. How exactly did that save him, then?

Also,
So Chase was a roidmude the whole time? Even as Proto-Drive. What was all the hinting about him being a converted human about? That scene of him sitting on the table while the other roidmudes did stuff to him was just them converting his memories to fight for them?
About your first question:
Seems like Krim just got downloaded in Shin's body thanks to the driver + Tridoron Shift Car and the side effect didn't happen without he wearing both.
Yeah, it's not entirely explained and kinda doesn't make sense with what they said during the Type debut, but it's the only explanation that makes sense.

About the second, I asked the same. Maybe it's explained in one of the Extra Mission shorts.

WillyFive

Yeah, you are right. It's similar, but it wasn't a crossover. I really dislike these codas in general and wish they'd kill them.

Yeah.

I get they want to do something similar to the finale of Black RX and a Rider equivalent of the Sentai Red Ranger tags; but I'd rather they'd do something like the Red Ranger tags instead of going the extra mile for these.

NeonZ

I get they want to do something similar to the finale of Black RX and a Rider equivalent of the Sentai Red Ranger tags; but I'd rather they'd do something like the Red Ranger tags instead of going the extra mile for these.

If it were something similar to the finale of RX, you'd get past Riders hanging around during the entire final arc, not just a special episode separate from the main story (although without doing anything, just hanging around in the background since the past Riders basically only appeared in Black RX due to Bandai, the actual staff had no interest in them - Now Stronger and Skyrider actually used past Riders in their final story arcs).

Anyway, I doubt Sentai has anything to do with it. They've been trying to find ways to make people stick with the Rider franchise, rather than gaining and losing audience each year for a while. Their initial plan, announced in an interview before W's debut, was apparently creating a "formula" that would make the series closer to each other in general style. Now, they're trying these crossovers and tie ins. They fear actually changing the standard annual formula though, so you've got them in 'special' episode or movies, rather than actually integrated into the main stories of the shows. Although it seems more and more likely that we're eventually going back in that direction.

Personally, I don't care much about these minor tie ins, but I'd really look forward to the day we got other Riders integrated into the running storyline of a current show, and not just for some "anniversary" occasion gimmick.

WarRock

Personally, I don't care much about these minor tie ins, but I'd really look forward to the day we got other Riders integrated into the running storyline of a current show, and not just for some "anniversary" occasion gimmick.
Early Fourze )=

Watch Da Birdie

Those are the exact type of things I hate about crossovers

It worked this time because they weren't put in the position of mooks working for Neo-Dai-Super Shocker or whatever, they appeared in Shinnosuke's near-death experience---his biggest foes, basically, which was a nice touch.

WarRock

His insides

12011392_918588208195806_3973793000553072950_n.jpg

Pluto

* 47 is the technically last episode, but the main plot pretty much ends with 46. I actually never got around to watching it, but it closes the story-arc of one of the main characters so might wanna watch it, but it also ties into the Summer Movie so if you don't wanna mess with the expanded universe stuff then don't bother.

Yeah, the final episode of Gaim is 46.

47 is just filler until Drive started.

No way! Gaim 47 is a great episode and a great series finale. The main plot ends in 46 but that doesn't make 47 filler. The movie tie in villain feels a bit out of place but there's so much else going on. A main character's story-arc is finished there and a lot of the surviving supporting characters get good scenes. I like epilogues like this, it shows that life does go on and gow the character's were affected. The wall of posters of missing people was a great reminder that many people lost their loved ones but there was also hope for the future. As a finale 47 works much better than 46.

NeonZ

The wall of posters of missing people was a great reminder that many people lost their loved ones but there was also hope for the future. As a finale 47 works much better than 46.

That's actually part of 46, not 47. 47 is mostly focused
on Micchy
, and doesn't really do much for anyone else.

Gaim's story in Full Throttle is basically a better version of 47 anyway.

vareon

I...think Gaim would have a rather downer ending if it ended in 46.

Drive had the strongest ending of KR in a long time for sure. Felt like there's a nonstop buildup since late 30s.

WillyFive

No way! Gaim 47 is a great episode and a great series finale. The main plot ends in 46 but that doesn't make 47 filler. The movie tie in villain feels a bit out of place but there's so much else going on. A main character's story-arc is finished there and a lot of the surviving supporting characters get good scenes. I like epilogues like this, it shows that life does go on and gow the character's were affected. The wall of posters of missing people was a great reminder that many people lost their loved ones but there was also hope for the future. As a finale 47 works much better than 46.

47 didn't show anything that 46 didn't already show or imply. It was a useless episode.

Slayven

Drive is the first complete and satisfying ending we had since Forze.

Gaim had a great ending but it was a bit of a downer. And
Michy never did pay for his sins like he should

vareon

I feel Fourze's weakness in this regard is relegating many Horoscopes to simple MOTW fodder in the episodes leading to ending. Though maybe 12 boss-tier enemies were too much in a single series.

Slayven

I feel Fourze's weakness in this regard is relegating many Horoscopes to simple MOTW fodder in the episodes leading to ending. Though maybe 12 boss-tier enemies were too much in a single series.

That was a little too much for one series, especially since they spent so much time with the Scorpio misdirection. But that Leo though, when did we have a mini boss so strong?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There were some unanswered questions in Fourze like did they ever bring back everyone stuck in M-BUS?

WarRock

Drive's Ending > Gaim's ending.

(deleted spoiler cause I guess someone's watching gaim here.)
You could trade "Gaim's" with basically anything else and it still would be true.

There were some unanswered questions in Fourze like did they ever bring back everyone stuck in M-BUS?
Gen's parents misdirection too.

By the way, I feel that Gen and Shin would get along very well. Drive deserves, but won't get, an epilogue movie like Fourze had.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And Gen and Heart would make each other cry.

Oh yeah, what about Gen's parents? Apparently they exist but never showed up.

javadoze

47 didn't show anything that 46 didn't already show or imply. It was a useless episode.

I...think Gaim would have a rather downer ending if it ended in 46.

Gaim 46...
ended on a rather weird note that didn't quite sit well with some people (myself included). So Kouta just fights all that time just to become a fruit god and facilitate Helheim to another planet while not being mad at DJ Sagara?

Gaim 47 is an effective epilogue since (like the Drive movie war), it doesn't quite negate the ending, but it makes it easier to digest.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Honestly that was my main issue with gaims ending.
micchy was the cause of so much strife, and pretty much watched takatora die twice on top of backstabbing the only dude in the series loyal to his ass, and its just live and learn. Fuck that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
By the way, I feel that Gen and Shin would get along very well. Drive deserves, but won't get, an epilogue movie like Fourze had.

Many series could have benefitted from an epilogue movie. Faiz in particular. I dont know what they were thinking ending it like that.

NeonZ

Drive will get a post-series Movie Wars like usual. Or do you mean specifically a "5 years later" story?

I just hope we get Drive in next year's spring movie. Gaim wasn't there, but it was likely due to the Gaiden movies, something that Drive seems unlikely to get. On the other hand, in spite of not getting any extra movies, Fourze only had a voice cameo in SHTZ, probably due to his actor quickly becoming big.

yami4ct

Honestly that was my main issue with gaims ending.
micchy was the cause of so much strife, and pretty much watched takatora die twice on top of backstabbing the only dude in the series loyal to his ass, and its just live and learn. Fuck that.

I also think that was a huge issue with Gaim. Probably my biggest issue with it is that
Up through the end, Mai is treated literally like a prize to be won. She gets no say over her future. She just has to wait for whatever guy that wins to take her away.I also really didn't like the end forcing her and Kouta together. Their relationship since the beginning seemed more brother and sister than romantic. Putting them together came off a bit awkward for me because of that.

WarRock

Many series could have benefitted from an epilogue movie. Faiz in particular. I dont know what they were thinking ending it like that.

Drive will get a post-series Movie Wars like usual. Or do you mean specifically a "5 years later" story?

I just hope we get Drive in next year's spring movie. Gaim wasn't there, but it was likely due to the Gaiden movies, something that Drive seems unlikely to get. On the other hand, in spite of not getting any extra movies, Fourze only had a voice cameo in SHTZ, probably due to his actor quickly becoming big.

I meant like the Fourze x Inazuman movie, where not only we see what the characters have been up to years later but get extra closure for the Rider. Gen
destroying his belt as a proof of trust/faith in the new generation
was cool and really in character for him. Wish Drive gets something along those lines.

Pluto

That's actually part of 46, not 47. 47 is mostly focused
on Micchy
, and doesn't really do much for anyone else.

Gaim's story in Full Throttle is basically a better version of 47 anyway.
You're right, re three months later part of 46 and 47 somehow merged i my mind. I still think 47 is a good episode, it's part of the series and the final episode.

Top Bottom